New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default What races are broken?

(I avoided using "cheese" in the thread title, this time.)

Like the title says, what races do you consider broken? I am thinking of both (a) races who are better, or much better, than their LA represents, and (b) races whose particular qualities can combine with a particular class or feat combination for almost Pun-Pun levels of this-will-really-spoil-your-campaign.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What races are broken?

Humans, dwarves, and warforged are all considered on the high end of +0 LA.

Almost all other races are not worth their LA, because the system sucks.

Black ethergaunts are a running joke at the moment, it seems. I think they have a low LA and cast as a wizard of higher level than their HD, or something?

Elans can be overpowered if the aberration type is abused via Alter Self. Same goes for planetouched, especially +0 LA lesser aasimar and tieflings. Elves, I think, due to their many racial proficiency feats, are favourite targets for the Embrace/Shun Shuffle.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kamikasei View Post
    Elans can be overpowered if the aberration type is abused via Alter Self. Same goes for planetouched, especially +0 LA lesser aasimar and tieflings. Elves, I think, due to their many racial proficiency feats, are favourite targets for the Embrace/Shun Shuffle.
    Lesser planetouched don't have the issue - they are Humanoids. Now, Neraphim and Racial Progression Planetouched on the other hand...

Also, Strongheart Halfling belongs on every list Human is in. Same with Silverbrow Human. And Anthropomorphic animals, especially the damn Bat. Finally, Whisper Gnomes are fairly good LA +0; many argue they should be LA +1.

For LA +1, mostly templates are somewhat too strong in Half-Minotaur, Feral, Mineral Warrior, Lolth-Touched and maybe Dark. Then again, LA is so expensive that even something as strong as those is only so strong since you're behind in Hit Dice and class levels.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

IIRC, Black Ethergaunts are CR 17, 16 HD, +4 LA and casts as wizard 17.
    If a tree falls in a forest, the Druid will make sure you hear about it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Also, Strongheart Halfling belongs on every list Human is in. Same with Silverbrow Human.
    This. But I don't think any races are "broken." Some are stronger than others, but what really breaks the game are classes and feats, not races. After all, the really powerful races usually come with an LA that makes being a caster (or ToB meleer) quite painful, and not playing as a caster or ToB meleer means your character won't be broken.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Isn't Strongheart Halfling 3.0 and not 3.5?

And i believe Whisper Gnome to be a very strong race too.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MichielHagen View Post
    Isn't Strongheart Halfling 3.0 and not 3.5?

And i believe Whisper Gnome to be a very strong race too.
    They're in Player's Guide to Faerun, which is a 3.5 source.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

They're in Player's Guide to Faerun, which is a 3.5 source.
    Good to know, the Faerun books are allowed in our group since last week :D

9. - Top - End - #9

Oh, and of course: kobolds.

Optimystik is right, though. Races are rarely all that broken except where they allow the use of a broken spell (as with Elans and Alter Self. It's not that Elan is broken, it's that Alter Self is way overpowered and interacts brokenly with certain otherwise innocuous races).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Whisper Gnomes are definitely under-LA'd but I love them nonetheless. +Dex, Con, 30' Move, Silence 1/day, ridiculous bonuses to Hide and Move Silently, all on a Small race for no LA is a steal that I'll happily take, no questions asked.

EDIT: Another thing with Elans is taking advantage of Psychic Warrior for Claws of the Beast and going through the Rapidstrike chain. Again, not the Elans themselves that make it broken, it's what you can do with them that is.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2009-08-28 at 10:34 AM.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

I personally think Pixies are broken. They've got Improved Invisiblity at will. That alone is worth it even for their +3 (I think) LA.
    Last edited by Jack Zander; 2009-08-28 at 10:35 AM.
    Avatar generously created by ukuleleninja

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Neraph, Whisper Gnome, Anthro, maybe Air Goblin, some Lesser Planetouched... the standard.

The templates already listed are nice.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Whisper gnomes are pretty much the only race at my table that had their LA actually increased. I usually lower or eliminate LA for odd races, but not after our last campaign. I had a player running a whisper gnome rogue/sorcerer, & he could not be found. No matter how hard people looked for him, he was only visible when he chose to be. Nothing less than DM fiat could track him down. It was pretty cool, but that kinda sickness needed to be toned down.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Try Mindsight, from Lords of Madness page 126. Darkstalker doesn't protect against it, nor does Mind Blank. It only gives the square, but you have area attacks for a reason. Get telepathy with a dip into mindbender.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Zander View Post
    I personally think Pixies are broken. They've got Improved Invisiblity at will. That alone is worth it even for their +3 (I think) LA.
    I gotta disagree with this one. You start encountering inivisibility at level 3. With a LA of +4, you can't even play one till ECL 5. Yeah, if your group isn't used to dealing with invisibility then it's gonna shred some stuff, but when it's most useful (level 5) you also only have one actual class level to work with which isn't going to get you very much.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Whisper gnomes are pretty much the only race at my table that had their LA actually increased. I usually lower or eliminate LA for odd races, but not after our last campaign. I had a player running a whisper gnome rogue/sorcerer, & he could not be found. No matter how hard people looked for him, he was only visible when he chose to be. Nothing less than DM fiat could track him down. It was pretty cool, but that kinda sickness needed to be toned down.
    To crank some numbers, at L1, with 4 ranks in hide, and 18 starting Dex (both completely reasonable), you have +17 to hide. That's ridiculous.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Dragonborn Raptorans just grate on me. Are they more powerful than, say, Azurin? No, probably not... but it just seems wrong that they should be able to combine the two best features of these races with no cost. (Dragonborn mostly lose their original racial features, but they keep any movement speeds they had. Therefore, a Raptoran who becomes a Dragonborn keeps his or her wings, freeing them up to take Breath or Heart in addition to having a fly speed. Mechanically, there is literally no reason to be, say, a Dragonborn Human over a Dragonborn Raptoran.)

Oh, and I hate Deep Imaskari. Wizards do not need to be better than they already are, but here we have a race specifically designed to make Wizards better. A bonus to INT, a penalty to DEX (hurts a hell of a lot less than the penalty to CON that gray elves get, and I hate gray elves too), and the ability to cast an extra first level spell every day (which helps a LOT when first level spells are all you have)? Yeah, that's necessary. Again, does it outshine a human in the long run? Probably not, but it bothers me that we have a race specifically made to make the best class in the game even better (particularly at low levels, when they actually have to be careful about the spells they cast).
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    I gotta disagree with this one. You start encountering inivisibility at level 3. With a LA of +4, you can't even play one till ECL 5. Yeah, if your group isn't used to dealing with invisibility then it's gonna shred some stuff, but when it's most useful (level 5) you also only have one actual class level to work with which isn't going to get you very much.
    They have greater invisibility.

Also, they can fly. This right here is basically a win against anything. Invisibility is bad enough on a 2D scale, when you have to guess height as well...
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

MonkGuy

Humans, dwarves, and warforged are all considered on the high end of +0 LA.
    Humans? Na, I disagree. They don't get that much stuff.

Also, goliaths. LA +1 and look at all the stuff they get.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Probably not, but it bothers me that we have a race specifically made to make the best class in the game even better (particularly at low levels, when they actually have to be careful about the spells they cast).
    Eh, CoDzilla would argue that wizards aren't best. Argue, mind you.

Deep Imaskari might be a case where you want to break out roleplaying restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    They have greater invisibility.

Also, they can fly. This right here is basically a win against anything. Invisibility is bad enough on a 2D scale, when you have to guess height as well...
    See Invisibility/See the Unseen/etc.. Blindsense/Blindsense/Mindsight. Wind Wall. Hold Portal, for Ao's sake.
    Last edited by Foryn Gilnith; 2009-08-28 at 11:15 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Monk View Post
    A feat and a skillpoint? I generally see little mechanical reason to take any other +0 class.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

What they get, though is flexibility. A free, unfettered-but-for-prereqs feat (something most other characters only get 7 of) is a pretty good bonus, especially when compared to static skill bonuses that may or may not apply to your character idea, and static bonuses to hit monsters that you likely won't encounter after 5th level or so.

Sure, that was part of the idea of humans... they're flexible. However, compared to what others get, it's a very nice bonus.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, Strongheart Halfling belongs on every list Human is in. Same with Silverbrow Human. And Anthropomorphic animals, especially the damn Bat.
    Bats, why'd it have to be bats?
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

A feat and a skillpoint? I generally see little mechanical reason to take any other +0 class.
    Also ease of multiclassing, for the DMs that enforce it.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wot? Human is without a doubt the most powerful core race. Outside of core they are still one of the very best. A Bonus feat goes a long way.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tidesinger View Post
    Bats, why'd it have to be bats?
    because Wisards are the godamn batman?
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    because Wisards are the godamn batman?
    I believe, sir, that you just crossed the streams.

:: explodes ::
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Also ease of multiclassing, for the DMs that enforce it.
    There are no such creatures. You're just trying to scare me.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Since Prestige Classes are somehow arbitrarily and stupidly exempt, most builds have nothing to worry about.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    Since Prestige Classes are somehow arbitrarily and stupidly exempt, most builds have nothing to worry about.
    Classes are purely metagame concepts, the fact that characters are punished in-character for doing their job is pretty arbitrary.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.