New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Class fixes

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Class fixes

I'm currently working on an entirely new setting, and reworking the physical classes (and a bit of the sorcerer since it's off) and I was wondering if you had any favorite fixes that still keep the classes within their basic intent.

Classes needing most attention included:

Bard
    fighter
    Monk
    paladin

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: Class fixes

I'd like to see the paladin with bard type spell casting progression. That at least would give a bit more flexibility and combat buff ability to help with combat.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Monk: Assuming no unarmed swordsage or Fax's excellent fix in the Homebrew section, tack on full BAB, the ability to move at base speed during flurry of blows, scale weapon damage with unarmed damage, and allow the use of light armor or reduce the cost of bracers of armor. Also allow the ability to enchant unarmed strikes somehow.

Paladin: Crusader or OneWinged4ngel's rebalanced paladin (oboards) or Fax's paladin are best.

Fighter: I don't have one yet. When quickly making up an NPC fighter I use the one from Rebalancing Compendium on BG for simple ease, or I make a warblade.

Bard: Not sure, I'm used to Dragonfire Inspiration or Sublime Chord bards that don't have that many problems.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

4. - Top - End - #4

Paladin: Replace with ToB Crusader
    Fighter: Replace with ToB Warblade
    Monk: Replace with ToB Unarmed Swordsage.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    There is no mind control, citizen. Please go back to your fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Corm View Post
    Kroy speaks the truth.
    Avatar courtesy of Shades of Grey.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, Fax's Monk gives the class the awesomeness they deserve.

The dungeoncrasher variant of Fighter is an improvement, but probably not enough of one by itself.

I've always felt that Bards are only underpowered if you stick to core. Let them get some of the Bardic Music feats from other supplements, some of the spells from Spell Compendium, and the Seeker of the Song, Virtuoso or Sublime Chord prestige classes and you get a pretty good character.

For Paladins, I had it so that they slowly gain the Saint template from BoED as they progress. It's considered a somewhat broken template, but because they get it slowly and are an underpowered class to begin with, it's not too unbalancing.
    Last edited by Starscream; 2009-08-28 at 02:16 PM.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

One thig I do for Fighter's is give them the Weapon Focus/Specialization feats for free at the level they would normally qualify for them (Focus at Lvl 1, Specialization at Lvl 4 etc), culminating with Weapon Supremacy (PHB2) at level 18 I think. And then give them a Warblade type way to change the weapon (or weapon group) that they apply to. Frees up a couple of feats if nothing else.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

7. - Top - End - #7

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
    Monk: Assuming no unarmed swordsage or Fax's excellent fix in the Homebrew section, tack on full BAB, the ability to move at base speed during flurry of blows, scale weapon damage with unarmed damage, and allow the use of light armor or reduce the cost of bracers of armor. Also allow the ability to enchant unarmed strikes somehow.

Paladin: Crusader or OneWinged4ngel's rebalanced paladin (oboards) or Fax's paladin are best.

Fighter: I don't have one yet. When quickly making up an NPC fighter I use the one from Rebalancing Compendium on BG for simple ease, or I make a warblade.

Bard: Not sure, I'm used to Dragonfire Inspiration or Sublime Chord bards that don't have that many problems.
    I can't find OneWinged4ngel's rebalanced paladin (actually I found, it, it just won't show it) can anyone post it?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shinizak View Post
    I can't find OneWinged4ngel's rebalanced paladin (actually I found, it, it just won't show it) can anyone post it?
    Damn, the first thing I used on the Wizard's board that didn't survive the change.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Fighter: I was sort of thinking perhaps give them a choice of one ToB discipline, from Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, Setting Sun, Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw, or White Raven. Make the corresponding discipline focus skill a class skill as well. Then, for maneuver/stance progression, they gain 1 maneuver and stance at 1st level, 1 additional maneuver at 4/8/12/16/20, and 1 additional stance at 6/12/18. In place of the bonus feats at those levels. Maneuvers readied could be half the number known, rounded up. And they could use the Warblade refresh mechanic.
    Last edited by Thalnawr; 2009-08-28 at 03:45 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
    Paladin: Replace with ToB Crusader
    Fighter: Replace with ToB Warblade
    Monk: Replace with ToB Unarmed Swordsage.
    Quite so, I'm afraid.
    I used to hate ToB, but after some experience with it I found that the martial adepts are some of my favorite classes...really, ToB has great stuff, and the fluff is easy enough to change.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2009-08-28 at 03:59 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Remove flurry of blows and the scaling AC bonus from monk. Replace with skirmish. Skirmish reinforces the monk's intended role as a mobile striker, while flurry of blows was really only useful if you chose to stand motionless and full-attack. Also consider providing 2 additional skill points per level and/or the trapfinding ability, which allows the monk to embrace more roles in a party and thus be useful in more situations outside of combat.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Bard and Paladin are actually just fine classes if you build them carefully, with plenty of splatbook options. (Fighter, too, but he becomes a powerful one-trick pony rather than a fun, flexible class.)

Bard's not that hard to do. You can focus on buffing (Song of the Heart, Inspirational Boost, Badge of Honor, Dragonfire Inspiration, Words of Creation, Song of the White Raven), or on spellcasting (Metamagic Song, Rapid Metamagic, Melodic Casting, Captivating Melody), or some mix in between.

Paladin: Use the Battle Blessing feat from Complete Champion, and plenty of spells from the Spell Compendium. Use the Travel Devotion feat from Complete Champion (unless maybe if you're fighting mounted). Replace your special mount feature with Healing Spirit (Dungeonscape) or Charging Smite (PHB2?); if you still want a sturdy mount, take the Wild Cohort feat (WotC website). Unless you're using a Spirited Charge/lance build, wield a Falchion and take Improved Critical and Power Attack, and use your Bless Weapon spell frequently to make sure you get lots of critical hits on those Power Attacks. (Yay Level 1 Pearls of Power!) Use any number of ways to make your melee attacks touch attacks (magic items, e.g. Heartseeking Amulet from Magic Item Compendium; or Tome of Battle feats). If your stats aren't great and MAD is a problem, take the Serenity feat (Dragon magazine).

Monk: Besides the options people have already mentioned, you can dip a couple of Monk levels, then multiclass to Psychic Warrior, and take the Monastic Training and Tashalatora feats.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2009-08-28 at 04:24 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elvenblade View Post
    Quite so, I'm afraid.
    I used to hate ToB, but after some experience with it I found that the martial adepts are some of my favorite classes...really, ToB has great stuff, and the fluff is easy enough to change.
    What about ToB needs its fluff changed? "Here are some classes that better represent characters that are really good at fighting; their style is up to you" is all I got out of ToB fluff.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

"Stone Dragon maneuvers can only be executed when in contact with the ground". All of the wuxia quotes and characters that the book was soaked in.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    What about ToB needs its fluff changed? "Here are some classes that better represent characters that are really good at fighting; their style is up to you" is all I got out of ToB fluff.
    I meant that he may not like the quasi-setting it's in, along with the history and geography it entails (Reshar, the Deluge Jungle,the Sunspire Mountains, The Nine Swords, etc.)- it might also be a question of flavor, replacing the discipline names with something more suited to his campaign.
    Last edited by Elfin; 2009-08-28 at 05:04 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.ph...e_Class_Update

Perhaps this might help. Core classes with a ToB boost.

Also use Bard and Sorcerer from Pathfinder because they rule.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2009-08-28 at 05:14 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Chimera

Pallys gain saint template

Monks are psionic fists with ML progression like psywar

Fighter's are a bit comlicated. I give them adaptable fighting class feature where they pick a set of feats and can change them all much like chamleon has one floating feat, but a fighter's can float all his bonus feats. Like a psychic reformation everyday. At higher levels he can swap out bonus feats at faster speeds and have even more "sets".

Bards don't need it.