New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XI

A42 continued
    Swift Hunter lets you deal your skirmish damage to normally-immune favored enemies.

Q43
    Would a Wizard, who also has Hexblade levels (and thus, Mettle), lose XP on a succeeded saving throw for losing a familiar?
    Last edited by Eloel; 2009-09-07 at 07:33 AM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Q44
    Are there psionic power equivalents for the spells Silence (cl, ba 2) and Magic Aura (wi, so 1)? (Source too, please.)

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Q45

Are there any situations wherein one might be denied a saving throw? Where can I find a list of such things? Does "No Dex to AC" also mean no reflex saves, since if you can't dodge one thing, you can't dodge another (you can hardly expect a blind man to see that fireball coming).
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 46

What happens if I try to step into an opponent's space? I know they get an AoO, but other than that?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A45

The only such situation I know of is when you are held in the mouth of a creature with the Snatch feat when that creature uses a breath weapon that allows a reflex save.

Losing dex to AC has no effect on your saves at all. You can even make a reflex save against a Fireball while sleeping, though your dexterity would be considered 0 and thus give a -5 penalty until you woke up.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Q47

simple magic item creation question

+1 scythe

would it cost 2018 or 2318?

basically do i have to masterwork a weapon before i can add a +1, or is that all bundled into the +1 cost?
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Bugbear in the Playground

A 47

See Table: Uncommon Weapons in the Magic Weapons section of the SRD. The masterwork cost is separate, your cost is 2318.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 43 Yes.

You'd still suffer your normal XP loss for losing a familiar (100 XP per Wizard level on a successful save) because Mettle only helps when you're attacked.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 46
    • You incur an attack of opportunity for entering their square; this is separate from normal movement-generated AoOs.
    • You suffer the squeezing penalties (-4 to attack; -4 to AC; movement costs doubled).
    • You cannot end your turn there. If you try to do so, you're knocked back to the square you entered from.
    • You can’t move through a square occupied by an opponent, unless the opponent is helpless. If the opponent is not helpless, you must exit back the way you came.
    • Your opponent gets an AoO for you exiting their square, as usual for such movement.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 46
    • You incur an attack of opportunity for entering their square; this is separate from normal movement-generated AoOs.
    • You suffer the squeezing penalties (-4 to attack; -4 to AC; movement costs doubled).
    • You cannot end your turn there. If you try to do so, you're knocked back to the square you entered from.
    • You can’t move through a square occupied by an opponent, unless the opponent is helpless. If the opponent is not helpless, you must exit back the way you came.
    • Your opponent gets an AoO for you exiting their square, as usual for such movement.
    Doesn't tumble also let you move through someones square?
    EDIT: Yup. DC 25 tumble check to:

Tumble at one-half speed through an area occupied by an enemy (over, under, or around the opponent) as part of normal movement, provoking no attacks of opportunity while doing so. Failure means you stop before entering the enemy-occupied area and provoke an attack of opportunity from that enemy. Check separately for each opponent. Each additional enemy after the first adds +2 to the Tumble DC.
    Last edited by powerdemon; 2009-09-07 at 03:11 PM.
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 46
    But... but.... You can't stay there at all? What's the justification for that?

What if you're Tiny and can only attack by entering their square?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Myou View Post
    But... but.... You can't stay there at all? What's the justification for that?

What if you're Tiny and can only attack by entering their square?
    Justification isn't part of this thread; just the rules.
    Ending Your Movement

You can’t end your movement in the same square as another creature unless it is helpless.
    Very Small Creature

A Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny creature can move into or through an occupied square. The creature provokes attacks of opportunity when doing so.
    If you're forced to use the squeezing rules you can enter, but not go through unless you render the opponent helpless while you're there. Very small creatures can go through.

The Tumble skill lets you go through and also avoid AoOs.

13. - Top - End - #133

Ending Your Movement

You can’t end your movement in the same square as another creature unless it is helpless.
    Very Small Creature

A Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny creature can move into or through an occupied square. The creature provokes attacks of opportunity when doing so.
    Um, those two rules you quoted actually conflict one another on the very point Myou mentioned. I would argue that the Very Small Creature one is the "more specific" one (and therefore takes precedence) on the theory that most combat rules are written for the generic [medium] case and therefore that any rule specifically mentioning a size category is meant as an exception.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Q 48

If a cleric with 18 CHA chooses Earth and Fire domains, does he have 7 turn attempts/day to be used as needed among undead/air/water creatures or does he have 7 turn attempts for EACH undead/air/water creatures?

15. - Top - End - #135

Q 49
    This is very basic, so please forgive my terrible understanding of combat rules. I have a medium-sized, young black dragon. Therefore, it has a bite attack, a claw attack, and a wing attack. The dragon's BAB is +10, and I gave it the multiattack feat. Does this mean that when it does a "full attack", it will be attacking both with its bite attack and its claw attack (with the latter being at a -2 penalty)? Essentially, what are the requirements for full attack and how many is one limited to? I'm reading the SRD on it but I'm still rather confused. Thanks in advance!

16. - Top - End - #136

A 49

A medium-sized young black dragon has 1 primary bite attack, 2 secondary claw attacks, and 2 secondary wing attacks.

From the SRD:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    The primary weapon is given in the creature’s Attack entry, and the primary weapon or weapons is given first in the creature’s Full Attack entry. A creature’s primary natural weapon is its most effective natural attack, usually by virtue of the creature’s physiology, training, or innate talent with the weapon. An attack with a primary natural weapon uses the creature’s full attack bonus. Attacks with secondary natural weapons are less effective and are made with a -5 penalty on the attack roll, no matter how many there are. (Creatures with the Multiattack feat take only a -2 penalty on secondary attacks.) This penalty applies even when the creature makes a single attack with the secondary weapon as part of the attack action or as an attack of opportunity.
    A young black dragon has 10 BaB and 2 Str mod. It attacks with the bite attack at a +12 attack bonus, and with two claws and two wings at a +7 attack bonus to the roll when making a full attack. If it has multiattack, the claws and wings attack at a +10 to hit. To make a full attack is a full-round action for the black dragon, meaning it cannot also make a move or standard action (barring certain spells) when it makes a full attack. As a standard action, the dragon will bite or use a breath weapon.
    Last edited by blazinghand; 2009-09-07 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Round 4: Eat Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Well at least your houserule skill check fumbles have houseruled fumble confirmations.
    The COre COliseum is a tactics-based arena for both 3.5e and 4e D&D. We run fights each week - so join today!
    Quickstart Guide
    Character Sheet

17. - Top - End - #137

A 48

Earth Domain Description seems to indicate that the limit of 3 + Cha mod applies solely to the turn air / rebuke earth ability:

Turn or destroy air creatures as a good cleric turns undead. Rebuke, command, or bolster earth creatures as an evil cleric rebukes undead. Use these abilities a total number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. This granted power is a supernatural ability.
    Although it says that you use "these abilities" a total number of times per day equal to 3 + cha mod, it would seem that "these abilities" are entirely the abilities of Turning air creatures and Rebuking earth creatures. It would seem odd that "these abilities" wouldn't specify that you're not talking about channeling a type of energy you couldn't in the first place (negative energy if you're good, or positive energy if you're evil).

On the other hand, there's nothing to indicate that "these abilities" doesn't include any turning abilities you already had. RAW, I'm not sure, but I'd say that it's a separate source of energy being channeled and should have its own # of uses per day.
    Last edited by blazinghand; 2009-09-07 at 07:09 PM.
    Round 4: Eat Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Well at least your houserule skill check fumbles have houseruled fumble confirmations.
    The COre COliseum is a tactics-based arena for both 3.5e and 4e D&D. We run fights each week - so join today!
    Quickstart Guide
    Character Sheet

18. - Top - End - #138

Q 50

I know I've asked this before, but I forgot the answer and can't find the original post.

I want to make a magic item, preferably a worn item like a belt or vest that is always active or can be turned on and off, that makes you a large creature either by the spell enlarge person or another way.

How would I go about figuring out the price to make it/to buy it?
    Last edited by powerdemon; 2009-09-07 at 07:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 50

Simply put, does a creature entering a square covered by a grease spell need the balance check, or is it only walking from said square? (That forces the balance check).
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

A:50
    Info on making Magical Items can be found here

Spell level × caster level × 2,000 gp

Enlarge person x caster level 1x 2000 times 2 equals about 4000gp. But I think I messed that up. Hope the link helps.

Possible Answer:51

To quote the Grease spell you linked

A grease spell covers a solid surface with a layer of slippery grease. Any creature in the area when the spell is cast must make a successful Reflex save or fall. This save is repeated on your turn each round that the creature remains within the area. A creature can walk within or through the area of grease at half normal speed with a DC 10 Balance check. Failure means it can’t move that round (and must then make a Reflex save or fall), while failure by 5 or more means it falls (see the Balance skill for details).
    Last edited by Demons_eye; 2009-09-07 at 08:52 PM.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Demons_eye View Post

To quote the Grease spell you linked
    I'd like an unbiased viewpoint.
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

22. - Top - End - #142

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    I'd like an unbiased viewpoint.
    A 51 You must make a balance check when entering the effect, just like Demons said.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by Demons_eye View Post
    A:50
    Info on making Magical Items can be found here
    Ok. That's my fault there. I didn't read that page close enough. Thanks Demon.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by powerdemon View Post
    Q 50

I know I've asked this before, but I forgot the answer and can't find the original post.

I want to make a magic item, preferably a worn item like a belt or vest that is always active or can be turned on and off, that makes you a large creature either by the spell enlarge person or another way.

A 50 Correction
    The base formula for an always-on or use-activated item is:
    Spell level (1) * Caster level (1) * 2,000 * a duration factor (2) = 4,000.

The duration factor depends on the base spell's ordinary duration. For a duration of 1 min. / level, like Enlarge Person, that factor is 2.

Additionally, you need to consider whether the effect is appropriate for the body slot. If not, the cost needs to be increased 50%. Here, however, the affinity for a belt slot includes "physical improvement," which certainly seems to fit the effect of Enlarge Person.

All that being said, item creation is a problematic field for RAW. While it is not properly a "RAW," the SRD implies that you should also consider the cost of similar items that produce the same effect, to determine if the formula price needs to be increased or decreased. (For example, I've statted up a continuous Protection from Evil item that, by formula, would also cost only 4,000 -- that's 4,000 for a +2 deflection bonus (ordinarily worth 8,000 by formula), a +2 save bonus to all three saves (ordinarily worth 4,000 each, by formula), and immunity to charm and mind control effects. At even a minimal blush, that's far too good for only 4,000, even discounting those calculations to the extent they apply only to "evil" attacks. That's a discussion for another thread. I only point it out here as a caution.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q52
    Can I wield a quarterstaff in one hand, and, say, a light mace in the other? I don't need to be able to attack with them, I just need to count as "wielding" them.

Q53
    Do the [good] and [evil] descriptors on spells affect who can prepare/know them? Specifically, can a character know both a [good] and an [evil] spell at the same time?
    ithilanor on Steam.

26. - Top - End - #146

Planetar

Q54

Say a wizard had both the Metamagic School Focus and Midnight Metamagic feats. Would he be allowed to use Metamagic School Focus before using Midnight Metamagic to prepare his spells, thus reducing the amount of essentia required by 1 point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist
    Better hope this works, cause my next trick involves making an impromptu defibrillator out of the Lightening Bolt spell.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Random832 View Post
    Um, those two rules you quoted actually conflict one another on the very point Myou mentioned. I would argue that the Very Small Creature one is the "more specific" one (and therefore takes precedence) on the theory that most combat rules are written for the generic [medium] case and therefore that any rule specifically mentioning a size category is meant as an exception.
    There's no conflict. Regardless of size, a creature cannot stay in an enemy's square unless that enemy is helpless. Very small creatures are allowed to go through a non-helpless enemy's square, but still there is no exception for them staying there.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 52 No.

If you can't attack with the weapon, you're not wielding it.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 53

Clerics, Paladins, and certain other divine casters are prevented from preparing spells of opposed alignments. Non-divine casters don't have such restrictions, nor do neutral Clerics.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 50
    Quote Originally Posted by powerdemon View Post
    You wouldn't. As there is no such item already, your DM would first decide if you could make the item, and then what the price would be. The DM would start the price determination by comparing the desired function to similar items in the game. (Determining a price by the spell formula is pretty far down the list, and it's against the RAW to start there.) As there are no such items in the standard magic items list, you probably would be unable to buy one.