New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

confused Anyone want another worldbuilding project?

Does anyone?
    -- The Dragon
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Anyone want another worldbuilding project?

Something besides the one with the plague of people bleeding through their eyes?

Why not?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Probably because the last couple of them bit it.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

4. - Top - End - #4

Okay, cool. New one is coming up.
    -- The Dragon
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Absolutely! I'm ready to tackle something other than the urban idea.

Koboldsarbeiter avatar by Mindfreak

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

There's still the Sun Behind Night one that I started awhile back and got rather overlooked due to the other one started later that day.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

A note from someone who has been involved with most of these and observed some trends:

Start it on a Friday or Saturday. More people will be on to tackle the hardest part: the beginning.

Wait at least a week or two for the current one to end before trying to begin a new one.

Propose or vote on an initial hook around which the world is built, but don't have too many hooks in place already. People need to have a say in the setting, and they don't feel included if you've decided that there aren't any drow and elves have wings and there are thirteen nations and 6 of them like the color red and 4 like blue and the other three worship Bahamut.

Don't work on mechanics at the beginning unless you are making a completely new system or it's something small, like a race or item, and you do it for both 3.5 and 4e.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Curst World Died at Birth. Long Live Curst World.
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Perhaps someone should make a "worldbuilder wiki" where many worlds can be made. It would certainly allow for easier organization than threads. Whoever makes a worldbuilder thread here can take the community's offerings and put it all together on the wiki.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Perhaps someone should make a "worldbuilder wiki" where many worlds can be made. It would certainly allow for easier organization than threads. Whoever makes a worldbuilder thread here can take the community's offerings and put it all together on the wiki.
    Bump, but I think it's worthwhile, because these things often die because they have no audience.

There already are a couple such sites: http://conworld.wikia.com/ and http://conmyth.wikia.com/ and http://dragonrp.wikia.com/ and http://confan.wikia.com/

This isn't an endorsement of any of them; they all might be crap and horribly organized with stupid administrators etc. etc. They're just what I noticed from the ads on the bottom of my own wikia. Perhaps one needs to be made yet that isn't looking like it was formatted by monkeys with typewriters, or perhaps there's one that's extremely helpful.
    Last edited by Surgo; 2009-09-08 at 09:06 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm game, though I'm currently working on my own setting, I've always wanted to try a worldbuilding project.
    Originally Posted by gdiddy
    There can be no resurrection of 3.5. But the SRD is the phylactery of 3.5 and it's kind of eternal for that.

Legacy of the Immortals Campaign Setting Any feedback, help or ideas you have are greatly appreciated.
    My Campaign Log (Apologize for Walls of Text)
    My House Rules
    My take on the Druid
    Prime20. Where Rule of Cool rules Alternatively, come to the new and improved Prime20 Thread!
    The wiki for Prime20

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Hey, just a random thought: maybe, we, from GitP homebrew forums, should try to make a wiki where only the best material from these boards will be added. I mean, a wiki aiming for epic-quality material :D
    "I'd rather DM to nice heroes than powerful slashers."
    Im a fan of dungeons.

GENERATION 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

A wiki would be an awesome idea, though it should also be accompanied by a thread. Then, just let anyone edit in stuff they want, though recommend that they post stuff in the thread before doing so. If nothing else, it would go leagues towards keeping track of what the heck is going on, and would let people learn about the setting without reading through a hundred or so posts.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, to get this thing started, what should our basic concept be?
    There can be no resurrection of 3.5. But the SRD is the phylactery of 3.5 and it's kind of eternal for that.

Legacy of the Immortals Campaign Setting Any feedback, help or ideas you have are greatly appreciated.
    My House Rules
    My take on the Druid
    Prime20. Where Rule of Cool rules Alternatively, come to the new and improved Prime20 Thread!
    The wiki for Prime20

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

How about a dawn of magic type scenario? A normal, medieval type world, being followed as slowly but surely (or cataclysmically and interestingly) magic is introduced.
    Because When I think 'ruler of the known world', I think 'kobold'.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

If you guys actually come up with something substantial, I will be happy to wiki it up for you.
    http://www.dnd-wiki.org -- the Dungeons and Dragons Wiki.
    The only good spell point system you will ever see.

I'm good at rating things. If you want me to tell you how you can improve your homebrew, PM me a link.

17. - Top - End - #17

How would magic be introduced into this said world ? Was it always there , tucked away deep within the Souls of the world's Peoples ? Or did some divine being Die , sprinkling it's own soul across the World , having magick as an after effect . Some would also have to consider the power of magick , and the price of using it , although introducing Magic to a World that has no expieriance with magic might react in interesting ways such as Science vs. Magic or what have you .

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ellardin View Post
    How would magic be introduced into this said world ? Was it always there , tucked away deep within the Souls of the world's Peoples ? Or did some divine being Die , sprinkling it's own soul across the World , having magick as an after effect . Some would also have to consider the power of magick , and the price of using it , although introducing Magic to a World that has no expieriance with magic might react in interesting ways such as Science vs. Magic or what have you .
    Hmmm, I was thinking a little bit about the scenario flavor, and realized that im sick of cataclysm-related worlds. I think they all feel too similar. Then I remembered one world: Lorwyn from Magic The Gathering card game. Also, I remembered the book The Sillmarillion (J. R. R. Tolkien), in which we didn't really have a cataclysm, and we had a story based around 3 jewels.

I might not remember everything right, but I belive that a world based on a powerful artifact along with more mundane problems (rather than magical problems). Oh, having one big bad guy would be nice too (aka. Sauron, Morgoth).
    Im a fan of dungeons.

GENERATION 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

19. - Top - End - #19

A god could have forge a bunch of crystals with a magic aura, creating sorcerers.
    -- The Dragon
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

How about an Alien incursion from some other plane of existence which has open a rift in space and time, allowing magic to leak into the mundane world?

In defiance of standard Big Gaping Worldhole mythology it was a hole to the Feywild and it started an explosive increase in vegetation and animal life. Everything close to the rift is a lush bountiful land while everything farther out is more realistic feudal dystopia filled with starving peasants and reality.

If not the Feywild it could also be a rift to the Positive Energy Plane or something.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Jogi View Post
    Hmmm, I was thinking a little bit about the scenario flavor, and realized that im sick of cataclysm-related worlds. I think they all feel too similar. Then I remembered one world: Lorwyn from Magic The Gathering card game. Also, I remembered the book The Sillmarillion (J. R. R. Tolkien), in which we didn't really have a cataclysm, and we had a story based around 3 jewels.

I might not remember everything right, but I belive that a world based on a powerful artifact along with more mundane problems (rather than magical problems). Oh, having one big bad guy would be nice too (aka. Sauron, Morgoth).

MMMM , Do we have a Duality Lean on this World ? Is this World all about how everything is evil ? Is life so horrible that people would Give up their Souls to have something better in this life - not caring if the afterlife (if any) is going to be more of the same? Have all the Heroes (If this world even had any) ,or 'good' people been betrayed and their societies crushed ? And now the only thing that is left to do is relent to the All POWERFUL Evil Guy/Girl/Thing for his mercy ? What happens if you have the 'taint' of good upon you , will this Dark One or the agents of evil come to you , carry you off , torture you until you are malshappen and difformed and you surrender your will and life to the Dark One ?

Now if people are sick of the Post-Apocolyse type world , Perhaps this world has been completely 'evil' for several ages , and all the world knows 'peace' but there are those 'unbelievers' who must be punished .

In this type of world thought , you wouldn't refer to the Evi One as Evil and Good wouldn't nessesarily mean what it does in our own world either . The Book : Mistborn , the Final Empire comes to mind .

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Limos View Post

If not the Feywild it could also be a rift to the Positive Energy Plane or something.

If people like 'This World is ******* Evil' Concept , the Positive Energy Plane , or any link to this world that pours in Positive Energy into it ,would very much serve as an eternal thorn in the side of this 'Dark One' .
    Last edited by Voldecanter; 2009-09-08 at 06:56 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Elite View Post
    A god could have forge a bunch of crystals with a magic aura, creating sorcerers.
    Maybe Magic was once vibrant in this world , Until the 'Dark One' Sealed it away in Crystals or something , Maybe these Crystals or Crystal Spires ect . Are so Large and give off a radiance of it's magic that Sorcerers are a byproduct .

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Well, I was kind of thinking about what would happen to a renaissance Europe type society if Magic was introduced. Y'know, the priests suddenly discovering they actually weild power, but discovering that witches and nonbelievers do too, armies discovering that some men have amazing strength while some... don't, kings discovering that they're surrended, suddenly, by people more charismatic, and more powerful than them. Good times, good times...

On the subject of how, I was origionally thinking kind of a locked-away type scenario- giant ruins that used to litter the lands with huge locked doors that noone could open, largely ignored due to the fact that they were impervious to, well, anything, and hidden away up in the alps and such. And one day, one opens. But the door to the Feywild or the Positive energy plane sounds interesting too, as does the Crystal idea. The evil Empire combined with a new portal to the Positive energy plane could make for some really fun times...

25. - Top - End - #25

Yeah all these ideas could make a very good setting .

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

I second the 'magic has been locked away' scenario. Perhaps a group of imperial soldiers accidentally stumbled upon some ruins and unleashed a bit of magic into the world, peaking the interest of the emperor.

My House Rules
    My take on the Druid
    The wiki for Prime20

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Heck, the party could be said group of soldiers- or whoever first opens the tomb of magic/crystal case/portal to Positive. I'm actually almost thinking of it of a superhero-emergence type scenario, but in medieval times.

28. - Top - End - #28

Does this Emperor have magic or not , if he does maybe this means that magical beings , maybe other sorcerors are finally going to challenge his power , but yes having magic locked away somewhere seems very interesting .

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeQuarter View Post
    Well, I was kind of thinking about what would happen to a renaissance Europe type society if Magic was introduced. Y'know, the priests suddenly discovering they actually weild power, but discovering that witches and nonbelievers do too, armies discovering that some men have amazing strength while some... don't, kings discovering that they're surrended, suddenly, by people more charismatic, and more powerful than them. Good times, good times...
    Hmmm, for the Europe+magic thing you'd want to take a look at White Wolf's Mage series.

Now, as for the world:

I didn't really mean to conceive it being utterly evil, but then again, it's not a no-go.

I like the idea of great magical power being sealed in three crystal, but I like it even more if these crystals weren't bound to the world in physical means; they would be like simple gems, small enough to be carried by a human, and yet it would contain great power. Maybe these jewels were the cause of big troubles, and lots of bad guys are searching for them. Maybe they've already got hold of them.

Ooooh, locked-type scenario is great :D
    Im a fan of dungeons.

30. - Top - End - #30

Locked Scenario : When the Fight Between Good and Evil boils down to a magical scavenger hunt for power ,sound interesting and great !

Maybe someone has found another use for these cyrstals or whatever locks magic away , like fuel for technology or something .