New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default (3.5) Help me pick some items for my Duelist?

Thanks in advance to any who help.

I have a 4th lvl rogue/3rd lvl swashbuckler/soon to be 4th lvl duelist. We've just finished a big quest, and I will soon have (estimate) 25,000 GP to spend, as my share of the loot. There's so many magical items I could get, I thought I would ask forumites who may know better than I. I will list what I have now; any suggestions for what I should purchase or upgrade are very welcome. Pretty much any 3.5 book, including MIC, is alright to draw from.

I already have:

Rapier +1, acidic
    Dagger +2
    Light crossbow +1, auto-loading
    Non-magical whip and mighty whip dagger
    Ring of protection +3
    Ring of fire resistance, 10
    Boots of striding and springing
    Amulet of natural armor +1
    Bracers of defense/armor +1
    Gloves of dexterity +2
    Cloak of resistance +5

I often have to serve as the party's only tank. We have plenty of heal magic available. Again, any suggestions would be great.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: (3.5) Help me pick some items for my Duelist?

How about some sort of headband of intellect? Your head slot appears empty and both Duelists and Swashbuckler's gain bonuses from that stat. I know it's not very flashy, but unless your int is already very high, it'd add some AC and damage.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Hadn't thought of that, it's a possibility. But, my INT is 18 naturally, so I can already take advantage of +4 worth of swashbuckler and duelist bonus. I would have to gain 5th level as a duelist before I could raise my armor class any further, so the headband would only increase insightful strike right now.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the boring way would be to just up the plusses on some of your gear- your weapons could stand to be a little higher, and your bracers and amulet of natural armor are about due for an upgrade. I would also consider just getting some armor- sure, you drop your Duelist AC bonus, but a mundane chain shirt provides just as much AC bonus as being a level 4 Duelist with 18 Int anyway, and it's much much cheaper AC than buying bracers of armor (for comparison: +5 AC from a +1 Chain Shirt is 1,250 gp. +5 AC from Bracers of Armor is 25,000 gp.) As your party's designated person-who-gets-beat-up, you want cheap AC like that. You could also definitely use a +Con item, either as a belt or added on to your amulet; assuming your group is also using the updated ability-stacking rules in MIC, that won't cost any extra.

What I would do in your situation, however, is just troll through the MIC a bit and grab whatever looks fun. Maybe a weapon augment crystal, definitely some Chronocharms, one of the more interesting belts since you currently don't have anything in that slot, one of the vests.. I don't remember any specific items to recommend, unfortunately, but there should be something that really catches your imagination in there.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Tyckspoon,

I actually have been looking through MIC. Some of the items I have noted so far are the Rogue's Vest, the Shirt of Ironskin, a Belt of Battle, and maybe the augment crystals for hurting constructs or undead.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Greater Truedeath Crystal(s) - Sneak Attack those undead, and permanent ghost strike, and an extra 1d6 dmg against undead. Assumes you can get access to a Greater Magic Weapon (+3) from an arcane caster, which should be do-able around 11th or 12th level. Just be nice to your local wizard.

Boots of Speed - Haste is never a bad thing to have.

Belt of Battle - Insanely powerful item. Buy as many as you can afford.

That's what I would go for. But that's what I always go for with my melee characters ;-)
    -- G

Edit: Ninja'd by the OP!
    Last edited by mregecko; 2009-09-02 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Ninjaaaaaad