New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: +10 Shield

1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default +10 Shield

So, I was thinking about it, and I can make a +10 shield. The cost? 97,000 gold.

How? +5 shield with +5 defending shield spikes.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: +10 Shield

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2009-09-02 at 05:49 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Of course, by RAW, only swords can have Defending.

Also, you have to actually attack with the spikes to make use of the Defending property.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by The Rose Dragon View Post

Also, you have to actually attack with the spikes to make use of the Defending property.
    Ok, in that other thread about Defending, I said it'd be a flamefest or die right away? I apply that here as well.

Also, The Rose Dragon has successfully brought up the two biggest points of contention...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

I'm just going to say that for the first part, that level of RAW is the kind that says Sorcerers have to be female because it has them listed as "she" when mentioning the class features.

But yeah, it's going to be a flamefest.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by srd
    A defending weapon allows the wielder to transfer some or all of the sword’s enhancement bonus to his AC as a bonus that stacks with all others. As a free action, the wielder chooses how to allocate the weapon’s enhancement bonus at the start of his turn before using the weapon, and the effect to AC lasts until his next turn.

Moderate abjuration; CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, shield or shield of faith; Price +1 bonus.
    What's this about swords only?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andras View Post
    Reread your quotage.
    Last edited by Signmaker; 2009-09-02 at 06:51 PM.
    "So Marbles, why do they call you Marbles?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I don't see the spikes thing as any different from a defending weapon in the left hand. Is "defending" a deflection bonus in 3.5? Deflection bonuses don't stack, right, and you'd likely already have a bonus from other gear?

This actually seems quite reasonable to me.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Here:
    Originally Posted by srd
    A defending weapon allows the wielder to transfer some or all of the sword’s enhancement bonus to his AC as a bonus that stacks with all others. As a free action, the wielder chooses how to allocate the weapon’s enhancement bonus at the start of his turn before using the weapon, and the effect to AC lasts until his next turn.

Moderate abjuration; CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, shield or shield of faith; Price +1 bonus.
    Considering (a) the emphasis on "weapon," which you already bolded, and (b) the fact that many, if not all, non-sword weapons can be used defensively IRL (dagger/main gauche, quarterstaff, etc.), this claim of "RAW" really looks like just bad editing.

Looking at the description, I do not even see a requirement that the defending bonus is only available on an attack action. Compare the above with the description for Combat Reflexes:
    When you use the attack action or the full attack action in melee, . . .
    But somehow I suspect that these arguments have already been hashed repeatedly.

10. - Top - End - #10

Defending is a dodge bonus that stacks with all other sources. The shield/armour spikes trick works, as far as I know.

If you're a cleric, you just cast greater magic weapon rather than enchant them up to maximum.
    "...short, wrinkled, and superfluous." Yes... yes.

Darkling DND - IRC, PBP, and Gamer Networking, plus Character Profiler.
    Now running Low-magic, Sandbox, FR 3.5e DnD. Join #darkling on SorceryNet for more information, or click here.

Let's Play: Siege of Avalon

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skorj View Post
    I don't see the spikes thing as any different from a defending weapon in the left hand. Is "defending" a deflection bonus in 3.5? Deflection bonuses don't stack, right, and you'd likely already have a bonus from other gear?

This actually seems quite reasonable to me.
    But if you're getting +5 deflection from your shield, in addition to +5 shield enhancement (and presumable an addition +2 from it being a heavy shield), you would presumable ditch the ring of protection +2 and use the item slot for something more useful.
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Technically, you don't actually need spikes on a shield to enchant as a weapon. You can just enchant your shield also as a weapon.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponce_LeRue View Post
    Defending is a dodge bonus that stacks with all other sources. The shield/armour spikes trick works, as far as I know.

If you're a cleric, you just cast greater magic weapon rather than enchant them up to maximum.
    Defending provides an unnamed bonus, unless there was some errata somewhere along the line that changed that that I completely missed. Also, wizards and sorcerers get GMW a level earlier, so it's a bit more economical to have them on enchant duty and let the healbot use his 4th level spell for some Divine Power or Freedom of Movement.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2009-09-02 at 07:06 PM.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ponce_LeRue View Post
    No, by RAW, defending is a bonus that stacks with all others when it's on swords. Defending on anything else doesn't stack.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    No, by RAW, defending is a bonus that stacks with all others when it's on swords. Defending on anything else doesn't stack.
    Fine then. Make one of the shield spikes a small, or even tiny sized short sword enchanted with defending.

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD is my favorite too.
    SoD casts Pun
    TigerHunter dies.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by SoD View Post
    But if you're getting +5 deflection from your shield, in addition to +5 shield enhancement (and presumable an addition +2 from it being a heavy shield), you would presumable ditch the ring of protection +2 and use the item slot for something more useful.
    Ahh, I see defending weapons are untyped bonus, which has always been a bit of a hole. Nevertheless, this only increases AC, right? I still don't see a problem - fighters (by the time they have 100K to blow on a shield) die when they fail a Will save, for the most part. An extra +5 AC just doesn't seem that useful, even if it's a bit cheesy.

Actually, I like this quite a bit: it's a bit of a dodgy rules reading, but clearly it wouldn't work for an animated shield. Anything that encourages the occasionaly sword-and-board fighter would be a relief.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

If you want to be that hard ass about it, by RAW Defending can't be put on anything, as there's no such weapon as a sword. There are greatswords, longswords, short swords and bastard swords but no swords. Heck, by that logic, you couldn't put it on a rapier, either, since it's not a sword.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

And most classes have to be hermaphrodites because it refers to their features with he or she.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    And most classes have to be hermaphrodites because it refers to their features with he or she.
    I know all of my characters are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    It always refers to them with one specific sex throughout the entire description, actually.

Which is annoying, since the proper use when you don't want to assume a sex is using "he".

But I digress. The sword part was mostly a joke about this frequently brought up example of WotC editing (read: no editing). The important part is that you have to use your weapon to gain the defending bonus.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

It always refers to them with one specific sex throughout the entire description, actually.

Which is annoying, since the proper use when you don't want to assume a sex is using "he".

But I digress. The sword part was mostly a joke about this frequently brought up example of WotC editing (read: no editing). The important part is that you have to use your weapon to gain the defending bonus.
    Does it specify you need to use your weapon as a weapon? Otherwise you could say that your enchanted shield is being used, albeit as a shield. Heck, you could say that you're using it for anything.

*barbarian charges wizard, who is writing on a scroll, and swings his greataxe wildly. It misses*
    Barbarian; "Huh? How did I miss?"
    Wizard; "Oh, this is a pencil of defending +5. I'm using it to write."
    Barbarian; "Oh. That doesn't really make sense..."

Spoiler
    Show
    SoD is my favorite too.
    SoD casts Pun
    TigerHunter dies.

21. - Top - End - #21

The important part is that you have to use your weapon to gain the defending bonus.
    That does seem to be the important part. Shield spikes? Sure, it's a weapon you use, seems reasonable. Armor spikes? Maybe not. Animated shield? Definitely not.

Really, +5 defendng shield spikes as the only defending weapon being used by the character seems totally legit. Stacking multiple defending bonuses is a problem orthagonal to shield spikes.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

By RAW, Defending doesn't function without DM ruling, because it doesn't specify which sword it draws enhancement bonus from.

It is never demonstrated that 'the sword' is the enchanted weapon, and no other alternative is specified.

In fact, it's a null pointer and likely crashes the D&D game when you try to use that feature.

Quote Originally Posted by SoD View Post
    Barbarian; "Oh. That doesn't really make sense..."
    Of course it does. It means the pencil is so powerful that if the Wizard hit with it, it'd get +5 to hit and damage - in fact making it the most potent pencil ever wielded.
    Last edited by Indon; 2009-09-02 at 07:30 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I've always liked my +5 Bashing, +5 Defending large shields (+ spikes). 2d6 base damage, improvable by size increases, and able to be wielding two-handed for 1.5x Strength bonus. Who needs swords!

But yeah, I generally rule you need to attack with the weapon to get the Defending bonus. Otherwise, you could get another +5 AC from Defending armor spikes, and another from a Defending Helmet of Headbashing, and another from the Codpiece of Defending....

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    Of course it does. It means the pencil is so powerful that if the Wizard hit with it, it'd get +5 to hit and damage - in fact making it the most potent pencil ever wielded.
    THAT pen is mightier than the sword.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    ... another from the Codpiece of Defending....
    But I need that Codpiece of Defending for defending my more sensitive parts.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2009-09-02 at 07:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Can we consider each spike on the shield to be a separate Fine or Diminutive-sized sword?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    And mighter, indeed, than a number of swords.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    THAT pen is mightier than the sword.

EDIT:

But I need that Codpiece of Defending for defending my more sensitive parts.
    What about a pen that is also a sword: does that weaken or strengthen it to be both?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    What about a pen that is also a sword: does that weaken or strengthen it to be both?
    Neither; it just boosts the price for a double weapon.