New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Trying to understand Charge and Bull Rush

This sounds silly, but I can't understand the rules for using Bull Rush as part of a Charge.

When I read about Bull Rush, it seems to me that you can make a Bull Rush as part of a Charge. A Charge consists of movement and an attack.

If I want to try to Bull Rush during a Charge, do I get the attack as well? From what I can figure out from the text in the PHB, I can do the following during one round:

1) Move up to twice my movement in a straight line, up to an enemy
    2) Make one attack with +2 to attack bonus, and -2 to AC until my next turn.
    3) Perform a Bull Rush with a +2 on the strength check.

Is this true? Or do I have to choose between either step 2 (attacking) or step 3 (bull rushing) after I've finished step 1 above?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Trying to understand Charge and Bull Rush

You have to choose. You get the bullrush or the damaging attack. Certain maneuvers and what not may allow you to cause damage with a bull rush, but ordinarily you do not.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stegyre View Post
    You have to choose. You get the bullrush or the damaging attack. Certain maneuvers and what not may allow you to cause damage with a bull rush, but ordinarily you do not.
    I believe you, because it makes sense, but I can't deduce it from the text in the PHB.

I mean, it's written like this in the SRD:

Attacking on a Charge
    After moving, you may make a single melee attack. You get a +2 bonus on the attack roll and take a -2 penalty to your AC until the start of your next turn.

A charging character gets a +2 bonus on the Strength check made to bull rush an opponent.

Even if you have extra attacks, such as from having a high enough base attack bonus or from using multiple weapons, you only get to make one attack during a charge.
    It looks to me like it says: "Yeah, whack him, but only once, mind you. Oh and you also get +2 if you want to bull rush him".

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

p.287 of the PHB is pretty clear. A bull rush is an attempt to shove someone and occupy their unoccupied space. You can do this from a stand-still or you can use it to end a charge in lieu of the attack that normally comes at the end of a charge.

A charge is a headlong attack that gains the power of a running start but loses the effectiveness of a considered assault. Using the running speed to shove is worth a bonus, but you can only take the benefit of that running start at the moment when you hit the enemy. If you use it to push, you do no damage; if you use it to damage, you do not push.

It might have been clearer for them to say that a bull rush is simply an option for making a melee basic attack, and as such can end a charge. Lord knows they've retconned enough of the other at-wills for that purpose.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urist Ironblood View Post
    It might have been clearer for them to say that a bull rush is simply an option for making a melee basic attack, and as such can end a charge. Lord knows they've retconned enough of the other at-wills for that purpose.
    at-wills? He's talking about 3.5.

As for the question, you get the attack OR the bullrush. I have no clue how Bullrushing on a charge interacts with Pounce, though.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Bullrush and Overrun are considered Standard Actions, not Attack Actions.
    So, they're not available to incorporate as part of a full attack, nor can they be made with attacks of opportunity.