New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default What systems are people playing these days?

Corollary to this thread - back when I was programming said tracker, I was trying to cover as many initiative systems that I could think of. This led me to realize I didn't really have any clue what systems people are playing these days aside from 4e and d20.

This leads me to ask - is anyone playing a game in a system that isn't d20-based right now? If so, what system or systems are you using? And how does initiative (or whatever the equivalent mechanic is) work in those systems? I'd appreciate the help.
    tinwatchman initiative tracker - free initiative tracker for the iPod and iPod Touch!
    tinwatchman D&D 4e starting character generator - free first-level character generator for D&D 4th edition.
    Writer of "A Final Fantasy."
    Cthulhu Hardboiled Part I: The Waters Over Heaven.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: What systems are people playing these days?

(P.S. - Alternity and Shadowrun 4/3 are out, I'm afraid. They were just too differently mechanically for me to be able to fit those in. Also, I believe I have White Wolf covered - someone correct me if I'm wrong, though.)
    tinwatchman initiative tracker - free initiative tracker for the iPod and iPod Touch!
    tinwatchman D&D 4e starting character generator - free first-level character generator for D&D 4th edition.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Until I had to move, I was playing Adventure Quest:Jaern(no relation to the computer game, FYI), where the party and the DM roll 2d6 opposed, all on the same side act simultaneously.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brasswatchman View Post
    Corollary to this thread - back when I was programming said tracker, I was trying to cover as many initiative systems that I could think of. This led me to realize I didn't really have any clue what systems people are playing these days aside from 4e and d20.

This leads me to ask - is anyone playing a game in a system that isn't d20-based right now? If so, what system or systems are you using? And how does initiative (or whatever the equivalent mechanic is) work in those systems? I'd appreciate the help.
    GURPS 4e. GURPS is a really, really great system. It does a lot of things better than 3.5 or 4e D&D, although I still love both. GURPS initiative is based of Basic Speed. Basically, character move in order of Basic Speed, and roll off for ties. It's simple and elegant, but has no element of randomness.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Well, before I moved, I was playing 3.5 D&D regularly. Now, I'm very alone...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Until I had to move, I was playing Adventure Quest:Jaern(no relation to the computer game, FYI), where the party and the DM roll 2d6 opposed, all on the same side act simultaneously.
    Huh. That's interesting. So was it the total of 2d6, or was it success-based, or what?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    GURPS 4e. GURPS is a really, really great system. It does a lot of things better than 3.5 or 4e D&D, although I still love both. GURPS initiative is based of Basic Speed. Basically, character move in order of Basic Speed, and roll off for ties. It's simple and elegant, but has no element of randomness.
    Ah, was wondering how GURPS works. So, basically, it's like Chaosium's Basic Roleplaying System in that initiative is ability-based. That's interesting. If I might ask, what dice do you roll for ties?
    Last edited by Brasswatchman; 2009-09-03 at 08:52 PM. Reason: typo

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh. That's interesting. So was it the total of 2d6, or was it success-based, or what?
    2d6 opposed, +1 for each succesive round you've lost init, ties go to the PCs.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CockroachTeaParty View Post
    Well, before I moved, I was playing 3.5 D&D regularly. Now, I'm very alone...
    Sorry to hear that. If it's any consolation, I'm having a hard time getting a group together these days because all of my friends who are into RPGs are moving away.
    Last edited by Brasswatchman; 2009-09-03 at 08:54 PM. Reason: added emphasis

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

In addition to the standard D&D stuff, Scion.

Initiative for scion is a Wits (stat) + Awareness (skill) roll, opposed by everyone else to determine what tick you start on.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spirit of the Century (just finished up), which uses FATE 3 which is based on FUDGE. Initiative is a fudge roll (basically four dice with + and - sides) that you add a skill (Alertness I seem to recall) to, and determine the results (which are labeled in phrases like Good, Great, Superb, and Legendary (for +3, +4, +5, and +6). You can also apply an "aspect" which is basically something about the situation which could motivate your character (I.E. if your character had an aspect tied to being paid, and was doing mercenary work that required making the roll) to either reroll or add +2 to the roll.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Initiative for scion is a Wits (stat) + Awareness (skill) roll, opposed by everyone else to determine what tick you start on.
    (runs off and takes a look at the Quick Start Rules.)

Okay, looks like it's success-based, right? I'm sorry to say that I don't think I can cover it. Thanks for mentioning it, though! I appreciate it!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Savage Worlds, which I recommend...however it uses a deck of cards for initiative. May not be something you wish to include in your tracker. :)
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

I somehow completely missed that this thread was to get more games onto your init roller. Fudge in plain dice is 4d3-8.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ah, was wondering how GURPS works. So, basically, it's like Chaosium's Basic Roleplaying System in that initiative is ability-based. That's interesting. If I might ask, what dice do you roll for ties?
    GURPS uses d6s for everything.
    Spoiler
    Show

Do you surmise it's wise to have laser beams emitting from your eyes?
    -They Might Be Giants, "The Lady and the Tiger"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Wuthering Heights. Something has gone horribly wrong if it comes to initiative.

That said, duels are opposed Rage checks.

Full rules available free and legal here.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    Oh, dear God. Someone went and made a Gothic fiction roleplaying game. I'm either amazed or horrified. Maybe a bit of both. :D
    Last edited by Brasswatchman; 2009-09-03 at 10:26 PM. Reason: the smiley face is key

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I'm doing two GURPs games, Mage, and occasional 4e Living Realms games. There was some talk of trying Pathfinder next. I'd also like to run some demos of a system I'm writing, but that doesn't count.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post

That said, duels are opposed Rage checks.

Full rules available free and legal here.
    How very... French.

It certainly bespeaks a unique and carefully cultivated derangement.

Some original rules were not translated; in the French version, you'll find rules about large battles, psionic powers, vampyres, martial arts and more ...
    I do like the Problems table though.

29-31 - You are honest
    32-35 - You are in love with someone from your family (Mother, Brother ...)
    41 - You play the bagpipes (1 hour a day)
    57-59 - You dress improperly
    78 - You are a foreigner (French, German...)
    80-81 - You are obsessed by the occult
    You are four times as likely to have squicky incest desires as to be a bagpipe player or foreigner. Also, alcoholism and drug addiction are social faux pas equivalent to dressing improperly or playing the piano.

This man's unashamedly Gallic worldview worries me on the profoundest levels. I begin to think Michael Moorcock's "Hawkmoon" saga was less a satirical fantasy, and more a blueprint of what must be done to France...

On-topic: Labyrinth Lord. 1d6+Init mod. Rolled each round.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2009-09-04 at 06:15 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Rolemaster. Its IIRC roll 2d10 and add all your assorted bonuses (quickness mainly).
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

21. - Top - End - #21

Goblin

Planning to run Cthulhu when all the players get back from all their silly backwater countries.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

ShadowRun (3rd edition, d6-pool based system): d6+Reaction attribute+modifiers (both additional dice and fixed numbers). For every multiple of 10, you get another complex action/two simple actions for that turn.

DeGenesis (German postapocalyptic RPG, 2d10 based): Order determined by value of Initiative skill, no dice involved. People can spend Action Points before each round to increase their Initiative rating for this round.

Call of Cthulhu (d100 based): ...you know, we have combat so rarely there, I have totally forgotten how initiative was determined in that system.

A fantasy RPG I created myself with friends (d100 based): Order determined by value of one ability score, fixed.

Other systems I play or played, but either freeform only or so long ago I've forgotten how exactly their initiative systems worked: World of Darkness, Fading Sun, KULT, Endland, The Dark Eye, MechWarrior RPG. Might be forgetting some.

Oh yeah, and recently also D&D 3rd edition.
    Last edited by Winterwind; 2009-09-04 at 06:26 AM.
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Well, yes. Paranoia comes to mind (which doesn't have initiative, at least not when we play it).

Whitewolf has already been mentioned.

There's also 2E, which works on 1d10 + a modifier for the weapon or spell you're using, and low goes first.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I'm playing traveller. The basic mechanic is 2d6 + ability + skill + DM (dice modifier, really difficulty). 8+ succeeds, or highest succeeds in an opposed check.

So initiative is actually 2d6 + Dex + Tactics Skill Check Effect + Leadership (sometimes). If someone is ambushed, the ambusher has an automatic 12 on init.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

RangerGuy

3.5 and 3.5 only.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

We used to play 3.5 D&D. Recently, I've ran a WFRP 2ed adventure, but the system doesn't seem to have enthralled my group, so I'm wondering what should we try next. Maybe, GURPS, maybe Shadowrun or World of Darkness. Attempts to run Call of Ctulhu in our group would have disastrous results, so though I'm tempted to try it, I won't. Perhaps I'll manage to cobble enough together in my system to run an adventure or two, though it's d20-based.
    As far as initiative goes, I have no idea how it works in any of the systems I'd like to play, but in WFRP, you simply roll a d10 and add an attribute.
    Last edited by Morty; 2009-09-04 at 01:26 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

27. - Top - End - #27

4e Mutants and Masterminds and savage worlds as wel, tough that is probably hard to script using cards and all.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

28. - Top - End - #28
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Monday game: 4th edition D&D.
    Thursday game: Pathfinder
    Sunday game: Vampire the Masquerade
    Intermittent game: Ninjas and Superspies, Rifts, or Systems Failure

Play by post games: Shadowrun 4e, Palladium Fantasy, Rifts, Nightbane, Robotech
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Used to play a lot of Drakar och Demoner, some D&D 3.5e and also tried getting a little into Dark Heresy.
    But it's hard to get the group to... meet.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Was playing D&D 3.5.

Soon starting Mage: The Ascension.
    From what I recall, which might be mistaken, Initiative is done by rolling a dice pool of d10s determined by Alertness (an ability) and Dexterity (an attribute.) If you have 1 Alertness and 3 Dexterity, you roll 4d10.

A cool thing about the system is that the lowest init declares what they plan to do first, but act last. So the person who wins init gets to plan their move knowing what everyone else is doing. (A person with low init can change what they do, but it gets a penalty.)