Orc in the Playground

Default Lead us landward...[Creature, PEACH]

Waygull
    Medium Magical Beast
    Hit Dice:
    7d10 + 21 (59 hp)
    Initiative: +5
    Speed: 10ft., fly 60ft. (good)
    AC: 13, touch 11, flat-footed 12 (+1 Dex, +2 natural)
    Base Attack/ Grapple: +7/+8
    Attack: Talon +8 melee (1d4 + 1)
    Full Attack: 2 Talons +8 melee (1d4 + 1) and beak +3 melee (1d6)
    Space/Reach: 5ft./5ft.
    Special Attacks: Curse of the Brine, dire weather
    Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft., eyes on the horizon, low-light vision, traveler's tongue
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +6, Will +4
    Abilities: Str 13, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 19
    Skills: Listen +8, Spot +16, Survival +16
    Feats: Ability Focus (Curse of the Brine), Improved Initiative, Self-Sufficient
    Environment: Any Aquatic
    Organization: Solitary or Flock (2-8)
    Challenge Rating: 6
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Usually Neutral Good
    Advancement: 8-14 HD (Medium), 15-21 HD (Large)
    Level Adjustment: -

Waygulls are often considered by sailors to be good luck. Generally benevolent creatures, waygulls are the answer to the prayers of many a lost captain. Willing and capable of leading ships to port, waygulls sometimes 'adopt' a ship, following it wherever it goes.

Waygulls resemble massive seagulls with grey feathers on their back and wings and white on their bellies. Their eyes shine with an uncanny intelligence. They typically measure six or seven feet from wingtip to wingtip and weigh around 70 pounds. They speak Auran and understand all tongus because of their comprehend languages ability.

Combat
    Curse of the Brine (Su):
    As a standard action three times each week, a waygull can afflict a single individual with a terrible curse. The cursed creature is compelled to submerge itself in the nearest body of water and deliberately allow itself to drown. Affected creatures swim as deep as they can and must begin to make Fortitude checks against drowning immediately. A Will save (DC 19) negates this mind-affecting compulsion effect, as does a remove curse spell.
    Dire Weather (Sp): A waygull can duplicate the effects of a Control Weather spell once per week, except that the duration is always 24 hours and the casting time is instead 1 round.
    Eyes on the Horizon (Su): A waygull is always unfailingly aware of its own location and the direction in which it is traveling. It cannot get lost, even if magically influenced. Additionally, it is treated as two sizes larger than it actually is for the purpose of determining wind effects. A waygull is constantly protected by an endure elements effect.
    Traveler's Tongue (Ex): Waygulls can understand all spoken languages and read all written words.
    Skills: Waygulls gain a +4 racial bonus to Survival checks and a +8 racial bonus to Spot checks.
    Last edited by SlaadLord; 2009-09-07 at 11:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Lead us landward...[Creature, PEACH]

An interesting & well thought-out monster. I like the flavor, & I think that it would make for a good addition to a campaign that features ocean voyages. I remember a pirate campaign that I ran a few years back needed more ship-based encounters, & something like this would've been nice. Kudos.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I like it! The melee attacks aren't too powerful, nor does the waygull have many other offensive spells or abilities, which makes me inclined to think that CR 4 or 5 might fit better. On the other hand, Curse of the Brine is quite formidable, and seems better with a higher (7-8) CR, so perhaps your current CR choice is best.

For some reason, this reminds me of the albatross in the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner or whatever that poem was. Along those lines, you may want to have some sort of curse befall any who slay a waygull.

Out of curiousity, why do they get such a high Charisma? Strong force of personality? Very self-aware and individualistic? Just generally pretty creatures?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

For some reason, this reminds me of the albatross in the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner or whatever that poem was. Along those lines, you may want to have some sort of curse befall any who slay a waygull.
    I considered that, but a one-time curse seemed a bit too limited. That's why I went for the curse as it is now.

Out of curiousity, why do they get such a high Charisma? Strong force of personality? Very self-aware and individualistic? Just generally pretty creatures?
    Yes, they are very self-aware and individualistic (despite the fact that seven of them working in concert could screw over a ship in short order), but I also wanted to have Curse of the Brine be especially potent, which balances the frequency of its use.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

It doesn't have the Aquatic subtype; it is merely a native to aquatic environments, in the sense that it flies over lakes & seas.

EDIT: The person that I was responding to deleted her post. Hmmm.
    Last edited by Zeta Kai; 2009-09-07 at 09:30 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Because I looked at the environment (not subtype) which was aquatic and realized my error before I saw your post.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

An interesting and flavorful creature. I'd totally love to have a swashbuckling campaign, with a Halfling Paladin riding a Waygull. XD

There's a slight problem with it using Comprehend Languages to understand all tongues, in that they only understand languages when they are touching the target speaking it, so they'd have to go up to whatever creature they wanted to understand and put a wing or beak on 'em, which may not be what you were going for. Having Tongues would mean they'd be able to speak whatever, too, so there isn't a clear cut answer to the quandary. The only way I could see getting around it is by homebrewing an improved Comprehend Languages at 2nd level at Wiz/Sor 2 with a close range or something like it.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

There's a slight problem with it using Comprehend Languages to understand all tongues, in that they only understand languages when they are touching the target speaking it, so they'd have to go up to whatever creature they wanted to understand and put a wing or beak on 'em, which may not be what you were going for. Having Tongues would mean they'd be able to speak whatever, too, so there isn't a clear cut answer to the quandary. The only way I could see getting around it is by homebrewing an improved Comprehend Languages at 2nd level at Wiz/Sor 2 with a close range or something like it.
    Or...I could retool it to the following.

Traveler's Tongue: Waygulls can understand all spoken languages and read all written words.

Simple.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

I dunno, I don't think they should be able to read. Understanding signal flag codes, maybe, and Morse code.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

I dunno, I don't think they should be able to read. Understanding signal flag codes, maybe, and Morse code.
    These are man-sized birds. With human intelligence. That can change the weather and make you want to drown yourself. Not to mention being able to understand every language there is, including those rarely spoken on the Material Plane. They can read.
    Last edited by SlaadLord; 2009-09-07 at 11:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlaadLord View Post
    Or...I could retool it to the following.

Traveler's Tongue: Waygulls can understand all spoken languages and read all written words.

Simple.
    Hey, works for me. I got no issue with Squawky being able to read.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!