New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Favorite Familiar

What is your favorite familiar and why?

I find myself often taking a familiar for an attractive bonus, then completely forgetting he exists for the next dozen levels or so. However, my favorite familiar is one a kender sorcerer had...a illusory kitten. Being a kender, his personality is appropriate, and he insists he's not really a sorcerer, and that the kitten is real. So strong is his belief that the kitten actually acts real.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Favorite Familiar

Imp. Not only does it suit me RP wise, but it's incredibly useful. It has a large number of abilities including alternate form at will and the ability to use wands.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

My favourite was Cael's staff. It was an item familiar that he had imbued with his effeminate side, which wound up being all his strong, agressive feelings for some reason. She wound up having a high enough ego score that he basically went around going by his familiars commands, though they generally agreed on what had to be done.

By the end of the campaign, due to a variety of problematic agreements with a celestial (She asked if she could have my child, in exchange for magical knowledge. My response was "But I haven't got a child. Hmm. I guess I need to go get one. How does one go about that?") the staff wound up getting shape changed into a humanoid form. Since they couldn't keep the shapechange up for 9 months, it was decided that Cael should get a belt of gender changing, and that the staff should do the fathering. My explanation as to why I did it this way was because he didn't care too much for imposing himself on others, and more importantly, both the DM and I knew the clause that stated that item familiars tend to be clingy and possessive.

Commented that I was the first male PC to be impregnated by a female item, and the first to equivocate a situation that badly.

BTW, my character was a crazed, yet kind hearted wizard theorist. I imagine this conversation came up some time after his child was born: http://xkcd.com/441/
    Last edited by Yukitsu; 2009-09-06 at 10:46 PM.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

4. - Top - End - #4

Snake.

Not powerful, but I like snakes. Bluff and Scent aren't bad either.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    My favourite was Cael's staff. It was an item familiar that he had imbued with his effeminate side, which wound up being all his strong, agressive feelings for some reason. She wound up having a high enough ego score that he basically went around going by his familiars commands, though they generally agreed on what had to be done.

By the end of the campaign, due to a variety of problematic agreements with a celestial (She asked if she could have my child, in exchange for magical knowledge. My response was "But I haven't got a child. Hmm. I guess I need to go get one. How does one go about that?") the staff wound up getting shape changed into a humanoid form. Since they couldn't keep the shapechange up for 9 months, it was decided that Cael should get a belt of gender changing, and that the staff should do the fathering. My explanation as to why I did it this way was because he didn't care too much for imposing himself on others, and more importantly, both the DM and I knew the clause that stated that item familiars tend to be clingy and possessive.

Commented that I was the first male PC to be impregnated by a female item, and the first to equivocate a situation that badly.
    I blinked. It takes a good bit for a story to surprise me, but that's strange enough that I read it twice.

Excellent concept, and even better job RPing it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Of the base familiars?

Bat. Blindsense-20 is very handy for placing spells like Glitterdust when there's invisible opponents about. Also helps on watch.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Personally, I'm fond of the cat familiar, just for the various RP reasons involved with it.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Platypus, best.familiar.ever.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Temet Nosce View Post
    I blinked. It takes a good bit for a story to surprise me, but that's strange enough that I read it twice.

Excellent concept, and even better job RPing it.
    Thanks. Despite my excessive optimization, I tend to try my best at RPing things out.
    Last edited by Yukitsu; 2009-09-06 at 10:38 PM.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

10. - Top - End - #10

Tarrasque. ;D

In low-level campaigns, I usually go toad. I once lived only because I was a gnome, had a good CON score, and a toad familiar. Poor gnome got crit'd for max damage with a heavy crossbow... D:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Yukitsu: That made me smile.

@Topic: I really, really like Pseudodragons. They feel just...right for a familiar.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

For a one shot I played a warforge artificer with the sub level. I got two familiars as weapons my right and left fist. One told me to do bad things while the other told me to do good things.
    Last edited by Demons_eye; 2009-09-06 at 10:40 PM.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

13. - Top - End - #13

On the opposite side of the alignment spectrum from the Imp is the Coure Eladrin from Book of Exalted Deeds. It is almost the exact opposite, very useful spell like abilities, can use wands, doesn't get DR, but 60ft flight speed and it's own unique alternate form.

Can't alternate form up to a medium size (so no shared alter self into the very hot dwarf ancestor) but magic circle against evil and good skills too. Not to mention it's Fairie Fire spell like is just begging to be combo-ed with obscuring mist or similar spells.

If your playing good aligned, the Coure Eladrin is a great familiar.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

My favorite familiar is a psicrystal.

They're better than anything not under the heading of 'improved familiar.' Really.

I can flavor it as Bunnytron 6000 if I want something cute and fluffy.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2009-09-06 at 10:44 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rezplz View Post
    Tarrasque. ;D
    Your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

My Raven familiar, Edgar, was my favorite. His crowcall also sounded like a swear

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I can't remember where I heard it <Maybe here?> but I remember hearing about someone playing a Hunter S. Thompson-ish wizard that had a bat familiar he forgot he summoned. So every now and then he'd swat at this bat that continued to follow him around. He named it "F*cking Bat!"

As for my own, I have a Kobold Wizard with a Chameleon named Shiho, and an Aberrant (Aberration-Blooded Human) with an Evil Turtle that told him dark secrets...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SartheKobold View Post
    As for my own, I have a Kobold Wizard with a Chameleon named Shiho, and an Aberrant (Aberration-Blooded Human) with an Evil Turtle that told him dark secrets...
    All glory be to The Great God Om?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

This thread makes me smile.

For practicality and core-ocity, I'm going to agree with bat, for all the reasons Jack_Smith mentioned.

I know, I could've phrased that better.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I've always liked ravens, since they can speak a language.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Mephits... any of them.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

I've always like pseudodragons as well.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Also a fan of the pseudo-dragon, even though my buddies talked me into playing Pathfinder and I'm playing a gnome's skunk freed familiar.
    Alot is not a word. It's a lot, two words.
    Always use the proper tool. If the proper tool isn't available, try a hammer.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hamsters (Rats). Because they go for the eyes.
    Common sense is not so common.

Nanfoodle the Maverick, Conjurer of expensive tricks

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue!
    You make sense in an annoying way.

25. - Top - End - #25

Is it sad that I pick Hummingbirds, purely for the initiative?

Yeah, I never take any of the improved familiars, and often trade my familiars in anyway. Hummingbird is cool though.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

I usually don't keep familiars because my DM tend to go for them first. "It balances things out you see, you're more powerful than the rest of the group combined, so you get to have an extra challenge all for yourself!" he said.

It was interesting in a way, but ever since then I never keep a familiar if I can help it.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

I'm quite fond of the Rat and Weasel familiars. I like having high saving throws, and I like the mental image of my familiar climbing around my sorcerer's sleeves and shoulders. (Usually I'll have them hide in my backpack when there's a fight on.)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Abrupt Jaunt.

That being said, I do like cats. I have fond memories of playing a Fiend-Blooded Sorcerer with a fiendish kitty familiar that just wouldn't leave the Ranger's poor dog alone.
    If a tree falls in a forest, the Druid will make sure you hear about it.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

My bard had an air elemental familiar named foooo

30. - Top - End - #30
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wow, with so much etherogeneity, I almost feel ashamed to say that my favourite familiar is the Owl .
    Long before Harry Potter, I'll add.