New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default [4e] The Bard is Dead. Long Live the...

So, my bard got stoned last night. Literally. Got a hit from a medusa, failed two saves in a row. The sexual harassment of our Deva shaman is at an end, unless there's a "Remove Affliction" scroll somewhere in the dungeon (and, even then, I think our Deva may conspire to have it destroyed1).

So, I'm starting over. Our current party is a Human Warden, a something-or-other Druid (I think shifter), an Eladrin Wizard, an Elven Avenger, and the aforementioned Deva Shaman. Thus, we're looking at wanting another Leader or a defender/leader mix. Since we're in the Pyramid of Shadows, I figure I've got two good options.

1) A warforged Strength cleric. Probably with a battlefist and component armor.
    2) Someone who's a little bit crazy... maybe another shaman, since I haven't played one, and speaking to things that aren't there would be great for him, having spent a few centuries alone.

Any suggestions on what to play? Builds you've wanted to try that fill our leader/defender role?

1 By way of example, his penultimate round, I counted off his movement as "One, pat the deva on the butt as a free action, two, three, four, five." It was a "pat of opportunity" or, in 4th edition lingo, "opportunity pat."
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] The Bard is Dead. Long Live the...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Since we're in the Pyramid of Shadows,
    Oh no, not that adventure. I swear its a lot more horrible then the concept suggests.

I figure I've got two good options.

1) A warforged Strength cleric. Probably with a battlefist and component armor.
    The only way to get a Battlefist currently is self-forged, but otherwise this is a good plan.

2) Someone who's a little bit crazy... maybe another shaman, since I haven't played one, and speaking to things that aren't there would be great for him, having spent a few centuries alone.
    Shamans are fun.

You have a fair amount of melee, so playing a Warlord wouldn't be terrible, but it might be too much like your bard.

3. - Top - End - #3

The reason I'm not going Warlord is that my other character in this game (we have several story threads) is a Warlord.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you have access to Dragon, go with a Hybrid Shaman/Cleric. Makes for a fun bit.

"Who do you worship? The spirits or the Gods?"

"Um... um... SACRED FLAME!" *runs off*
    Alchemyprime's Omniblog
    Want some Pathfinder 1e homebrewed? Hit me up!
    Ted Kord Avatar by KPenguin!
    My Gaming Channel!
    My Carrd

Stuff about me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctemwolf View Post
    Thank you very much. you know, I think I like you, Prime. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    You, sir, have created the best Pokerman possible. Here is your medal. Everyone else can just give up.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I figure you guys could just as soon use another striker, how about a crazy ass Barbarian or something akin?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

In the striker vein, vestige pact warlocks can give you the whole "entities that aren't quite there" thing you liked about shaman, as a warlock you're a fairly competent striker, with delicious controller (debuffs and conditions) and leader (buffs) highlights.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

The shouty Barbarian is quite leadery... though I would also like to see how a vestige warlock plays out, our hellock acts as a giant punchbag in our leaderless party, helps out my paladin no end... but is somewhat lacking in the striker qualities to be honest.
    Last edited by Charity; 2009-09-08 at 10:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

8. - Top - End - #8

We're in talks. I'm currently making a Warforged Cleric of Erathis (working name: Optimus Prime), who had been trying to guide Kravakos into building something with his new empire, and wound up stuck in the pyramid. He's been exposed to the Far Realms, though, so he's a little bit... odd.
    The Cranky Gamer

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

How about another Bard? But with as many mechanical differences as possible from the last!

If I remember your other thread he'd got all multiclass feats and about to hit paragon. How about a single committed multiclass?

I'm just making sure you don't discount the bard on grounds that you've been there done that. They can do many interesting things.
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Personally, I like my human "lazer"-cleric. Doesn't have that "defender" feel that you seem to be going for, but his healing is phenomenal.
    Halbert's Cubicle - Wherein I write about gaming and . . . you know . . . stuff.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

[Alcoholic] Artificer headed towards self-forged.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    Oh no, not that adventure. I swear its a lot more horrible then the concept suggests.
    It's actually gone pretty well. The head of Vyrellis has gotten pretty entertaining, with the party continually making either bowling or juggling comments whenever she gets snooty.

Just info for people making suggestions: The Party is on Level 2 of the pyramid, and just starting to get into the section where the Far Realm has screwed things up. 2/3 gates of Agony have been opened.

As far as what the party needs, healing would be pretty useful. Another frontline/damage person would also be handy. Between the Druid and the Wizard, this party has the best controlling I've ever seen, and the damage output from the druid and warden are pretty sweet. (The Avenger has been...disappointing, to say the least). The Shaman has almost exclusively ranged, so she's handling that well.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Warforged Tempest Fighter|Cleric?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

We're in talks. I'm currently making a Warforged Cleric of Erathis (working name: Optimus Prime), who had been trying to guide Kravakos into building something with his new empire, and wound up stuck in the pyramid. He's been exposed to the Far Realms, though, so he's a little bit... odd.
    Well if you're a strength cleric, remember that Wisdom makes a much better secondary ability score for you than Charisma. It pumps your heals, and if you keep it within a modifier or two of your strength, makes Angelic Avenger (I think that's the cleric PP from PHB) a really tasty choice, what with Astral Wave being close burst 8 and likely to hit if your wisdom is good enough.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    Well if you're a strength cleric, remember that Wisdom makes a much better secondary ability score for you than Charisma. It pumps your heals, and if you keep it within a modifier or two of your strength, makes Angelic Avenger (I think that's the cleric PP from PHB) a really tasty choice, what with Astral Wave being close burst 8 and likely to hit if your wisdom is good enough.
    Currently, I've got a 22 strength, a 15 Con, and a 15 wisdom; everything else is 10, with an 8 Charisma. I've taken a multiclass fighter feat (Battle Awareness), a couple feats into armor, the Battle Healer feat (whenever I use a healing power on someone else, I get my Strength Bonus in HP), and Creation Secret (essentially, make a save when you use a item daily power. Succeed, and you didn't use an item daily power).

And I will add, the player of the Avenger has a talent for making characters that don't quite work as well as they should.
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2009-09-08 at 02:27 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you need power recommendations too? Off the top of my head, Word of Vigor is nothing but wonderful. Level 10 encounter utility, it's a close burst 1 slightly weaker version of Healing Word on all allies in the burst.

Edit: I... don't know what level you are, but one way or another that information is sure to help you.
    Last edited by Starsinger; 2009-09-08 at 04:12 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

The rest of the party is a few XP away from level 9; I'm going to be starting at level 9, just to avoid having to make a new character.

I am running into an issue, however, that perhaps the Playground can help me with. I gave Optimus a Battlefist (+2 Force Battlefist, actually), but the Character Builder isn't calculating the +3 proficiency bonus that the description says it has. I also can't find a Battlefist proficiency, thinking that may be the issue. Since I don't have the Eberron Player's Guide, what am I missing here?
    The Cranky Gamer

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

The rest of the party is a few XP away from level 9; I'm going to be starting at level 9, just to avoid having to make a new character.

I am running into an issue, however, that perhaps the Playground can help me with. I gave Optimus a Battlefist (+2 Force Battlefist, actually), but the Character Builder isn't calculating the +3 proficiency bonus that the description says it has. I also can't find a Battlefist proficiency, thinking that may be the issue. Since I don't have the Eberron Player's Guide, what am I missing here?
    Only Self-Forged (the Paragon Path) can have battlefists. And only non-warforged can be self-forged. So you can't have a battlefist, barring DM fiat.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

19. - Top - End - #19

Ah-hah! That would explain it. Got some changes to make, then.
    The Cranky Gamer

20. - Top - End - #20

Bah. Tons of rewriting to do. I either misunderstood, or selectively ignored, a number of equipment rules.
    The Cranky Gamer

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Oh good. I'm glad someone had the answer to the battlefist question, because that one was really stumping me. *Sigh* Time to go answer my own question in the "Questions by RAW" thread...

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Hzurr View Post
    Oh good. I'm glad someone had the answer to the battlefist question, because that one was really stumping me. *Sigh* Time to go answer my own question in the "Questions by RAW" thread...
    You think you're getting off the hook THAT easily? HAH! I say, HAH!

;-)

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124378
    The Cranky Gamer

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

*shakes fist in the air*

Damn you!!!!!!

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Hzurr View Post
    *shakes fist in the air*

Damn you!!!!!!
    Given me and our gaming group, I find this statement to be absolutely hilarious. ;-)
    The Cranky Gamer

25. - Top - End - #25

The bard abides. We learned that touching his lips with the medusa's blood would break the curse (our Druid insisted that the Deva had to apply it with her lips), and thus the sexual harassment of the Deva Shaman continues.

Too bad. I was kinda looking forward to playing Optimus Prime, the crazy warforged cleric of Erathis.
    The Cranky Gamer

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The bard abides. We learned that touching his lips with the medusa's blood would break the curse (our Druid insisted that the Deva had to apply it with her lips), and thus the sexual harassment of the Deva Shaman continues.
    What? The Deva didn't want medusa-blood lipstick?

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    What? The Deva didn't want medusa-blood lipstick?
    I spent most of the evening curtailing the worst of my sordid imagination for statements to the Deva. Her player is adorable when she blushes, and her fiancee encourages the sexual harassment (he is, in fact, the one who insisted that she had to apply it with her lips... in character, though not at the table).
    The Cranky Gamer

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Hehe...when the person who can make the heal check to revive the bard isn't the same person who can make the nature check to know how to heal the bard, entertaining things happen.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Heh heh, yeah, I was going to suggest the medusa lipstick thing but it looks like you figured it out :)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Her player is adorable when she blushes, and her fiancee encourages the sexual harassment.
    Bad deal for her, then.