New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: [4e] Battlefist

1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default [4e] Battlefist

Why can't a warforged have a battlefist? Sure, they're designed around the Self-forged Paragon Path, but warforged are capable of drilling holes in themselves to hold torches, and rebuilding their arms to hold crossbows without serious issues. Why are they prevented from having a big metal hand with which they can hit people effectively?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] Battlefist

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Why can't a warforged have a battlefist? Sure, they're designed around the Self-forged Paragon Path, but warforged are capable of drilling holes in themselves to hold torches, and rebuilding their arms to hold crossbows without serious issues. Why are they prevented from having a big metal hand with which they can hit people effectively?
    I believe its more of a fluff thing, Self-Forged is about making yourself more Forge than Man, though I do wonder why they didn't include a PP that allowed the Forge to become more Man than Forge

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Don't they already have a big metal hand with which they can hit people effectively? What are the differences between this and an unarmed attack for a Warforged? The 1d8 and +3 proficiency is what the monk has for an unarmed strike, so is there an "improved unarmed strike" feat or something you could take?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NPCMook View Post
    I believe its more of a fluff thing, Self-Forged is about making yourself more Forge than Man, though I do wonder why they didn't include a PP that allowed the Forge to become more Man than Forge
    That sounds like an awesome idea. Very Data-esque...
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Hzurr View Post
    Don't they already have a big metal hand with which they can hit people effectively? What are the differences between this and an unarmed attack for a Warforged? The 1d8 and +3 proficiency is what the monk has for an unarmed strike, so is there an "improved unarmed strike" feat or something you could take?
    Since it's not mentioned, warforged use the same rules for punching as everyone else... 1d4+Str, no proficiency bonus.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Get an arm-mace, arm-hammer, arm-sword or whatever and just ask for the minor refluff. Or, just ask your DM for a fiat and take the proficiency feat. However, these are obvious alternatives - the RAW is that you can't have one unless you're a Self-Forged. I can't give you WotC's justification for the RAW, just that it is the RAW and that if you don't agree, request fiat. There is no RAW legal way to have a battlefist without being a self-forged.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2009-09-09 at 03:43 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

7. - Top - End - #7

We're just refluffing it. I get my big smashy hand and arm-mounted crossbow.

I am tempted to rename him from Optimus Prime to Todd the T-1000.
    The Cranky Gamer

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

We're just refluffing it. I get my big smashy hand and arm-mounted crossbow.

I am tempted to rename him from Optimus Prime to Todd the T-1000.
    No way. You have to find a way to give him more arms, four brilliant energy longswords and call him Grievous. General Grievous .

EDIT: Ah, I get it. From the "big smashy claw" line, right? Well, JoCo is awesome, so do whatever you want.
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2009-09-09 at 05:24 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Elf View Post
    No way. You have to find a way to give him more arms, four brilliant energy longswords and call him Grievous. General Grievous .

EDIT: Ah, I get it. From the "big smashy claw" line, right? Well, JoCo is awesome, so do whatever you want.
    The other option is to go with inspiration from "Better", but yeah...

"A little Darth Vader, little Optimus Prime..."
    The Cranky Gamer