New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [3.5] How does this work if you move after throwing?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060707a
    Scroll down to the necklace of natural attacks, look at the suggested properties.
    I'll wait...

What happens if you move after throwing your natural weapon (such as your tusk or claws "Suck on my missile tusk")? Isn't your entire body considered your unarmed strike (a natural attack), how do you throw that?

Anyone who actually trys this will be shot with a hammergun. Even if changing returning to teleporting would make it work fine (mechanically).

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: [3.5] How does this work if you move after throwing?

D&D BSoDs?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Just say no via dm fiat, if it doesn't work in your game.

Alternatively? Make it slightly differently flavored - you punch the air so hard you send waves of force out at range. Or you're Astro Boy and can use your throwing, returning, flaming rocket fists.
    Pokemon friend code : 3067-5701-8746

Trade list can be found on my Giant League wiki page, all pokemon are kept in stock with 5 IVs, most with egg moves, some bred for Hidden Powers. Currently at 55 in stock and counting.

Padherders for my phone and my tablet!

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060707a
    Scroll down to the necklace of natural attacks, look at the suggested properties.
    I'll wait...

What happens if you move after throwing your natural weapon (such as your tusk or claws "Suck on my missile tusk")? Isn't your entire body considered your unarmed strike (a natural attack), how do you throw that?

Anyone who actually trys this will be shot with a hammergun. Even if changing returning to teleporting would make it work fine (mechanically).
    Ever see a Rocket Punch? That's justification for a Warforged PC. Everyone else just throws off shock waves, as the above poster said.

Or just think like Blanka, and throw yourself at them. Literally.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I guess your tusk comes flying back and lands on the ground until you can reattach it? I mean, I assume you have to detach it before you can throw it at people. It is a throwing weapon, after all.
    I dunno, this doesn't really seem like that much of a problem to me. If you're letting people have amulets that allow them to throw their teeth at people, your game's probably silly enough that having a pile of natural weapons on the ground after someone moved won't be that odd.
    richaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    Ever see a Rocket Punch? That's justification for a Warforged PC. Everyone else just throws off shock waves, as the above poster said.

Or just think like Blanka, and throw yourself at them. Literally.
    I know about rocket punchs, I just don't see it working when it returns to where it was fired from, not to the user and the user isn't mechanical in anyway, nor do I see it working with teeth, tusks or what not.

Aren't there a pair of gauntlets (Of someone the vigilant) that grant throwing and returning to any weapon you wield (including said gauntlets?)?
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2009-09-13 at 08:55 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

I know about rocket punchs, I just don't see it working when it returns to where it was fired from, not to the user and the user isn't mechanical in anyway, nor do I see it working with teeth, tusks or what not.
    It's magic. What's the difference?

If you're a mega-munchkin, I suppose you could find a way to make a Monk's "entire body" occupy two spaces at once, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth.
    Last edited by Faleldir; 2009-09-13 at 09:12 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I know it's magic, but I don't see throwing your teeth (and jaw?), moving, haveing them fall on the floor, as... dignified.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, any part of a monk's body is treated as a natural weapon, so a monk could get away with throwing his hair at an enemy, for example.

Otherwise, I think it'd be pretty cool to throw your hand at an opponent or something - I believe there's even a feat in Savage Species to let creatures with regeneration do just that.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

You think thats bad...50k gets you an Amulet of Natural Attacks +1 Brilliant Energy. BE weapons pass through non-living matter. Monk's whole body is considered a weapon. So...your whole body can pass through non-living matter. Better hope you are standing on grass when you activate this, or you are gonna have a no-clipping error with the whole world. You'll fall toward the center of the earth accelerating as you go, probably taking huge amounts of fire damage from the proximity to molten metals that you are passing through. Once you fall "through" the center, you'll start to accelerate back towards the center, your velocity will decrease, and you'll eventually come to a rest one the complete opposite side of the world, at which time you'll start "falling" again toward the center of the earth, burning as you go, until you reach your origional starting point. Since there is no friction or air resistance (cause air is non-living as well), you'll continue to oscilate perpetually through the center of the earth until you deactivate the property, or hit a Drow on the way through.

Yea....I think I just killed 3-4 catgirls with that one...
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2009-09-13 at 09:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    You think thats bad...50k gets you an Amulet of Natural Attacks +1 Brilliant Energy. BE weapons pass through non-living matter. Monk's whole body is considered a weapon. So...your whole body can pass through non-living matter. Better hope you are standing on grass when you activate this, or you are gonna have a no-clipping error with the whole world. You'll fall toward the center of the earth accelerating as you go, probably taking huge amounts of fire damage from the proximity to molten metals that you are passing through. Once you fall "through" the center, you'll start to accelerate back towards the center, your velocity will decrease, and you'll eventually come to a rest one the complete opposite side of the world, at which time you'll start "falling" again toward the center of the earth, burning as you go, until you reach your origional starting point. Since there is no friction or air resistance (cause air is non-living as well), you'll continue to oscilate perpetually through the center of the earth until you deactivate the property, or hit a Drow on the way through.
    If you hit the other side and there was grass or other lving material, it would be a quick, and effective if you have fire immunity, to get to the otherside of the world. On the other hand, on Earth at least, check the world map on your fantasy world for details, most of the worlds land surface connects in an antipodean way to water.
    Hmmm, what would happen when you hit plankton? Some parts of your body are hitting living material , but others aren't. Would it be like being strained like play dough through a sieve? *rolls fortitude save against nausea*
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

You guys go around. I'm going through the planet. It'll be faster that way. - Chanlaw the raptoran monk.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Considering your mass relative to the plankton and other small organisms, you'd probably just blow past them without any noticable effect. Sure, it might eventually dampen your oscilations, but that would take an awefully long time, probably long after you starved to death.

Also, because its relative distance to the center, if you activated it opposite a mountain, you'd never emerge on the other side, and if you activated it on top of a mountain, you'd be flung a few hundred or thousand feet above the ground on the otherside. Certainly amusing to muse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post

Except that that your necklace will drop to the floor. Now if you were a Kensai...