New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Truenamer feat: Truespeak specialization

Feat: Truespeak specialization. Given to all truenamers at level 1. Triples the max per level skillpoint cap of their truespeak ability...

What do you think? Although, obviously the class needs a complete rewrite... think this is at any way practical?
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Truenamer feat: Truespeak specialization

You still would need a hell lot of skill points.
    ~Sweet avatar by Miss Nobody~

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    You killed it, its dead, it exploded, Good Job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Logalmier View Post
    "I need a latter! Quick, find a psion so he can make one with his mind!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

There are no other useful skills on their list (without Knowledge Devotion) and they need Intelligence IIRC.
    If you need D20 optimization advice or real-life advice, my PM box is always open.
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Hail unto thee Jalor, First Favoured of the Carbonation Gods!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syka View Post
    I now confess my undying admiration of Jalor. You are a god amongst men for that surprisingly subtle use of Firefly.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Truenamer feat: Truespeak specialization

Quote Originally Posted by Jalor View Post
    There are no other useful skills on their list (without Knowledge Devotion) and they need Intelligence IIRC.
    normally, increase is 1 skillpoint per level; meaning that your skill increases by 1xCL per level. Truespeak checks increase by 2xCL. 2+5 int (later +6 or +7 or more), +1 from human = 8+ skillpoints per level.
    This means that instead of putting ONE of their 8 skill points into truespeak and 7 into knowledge. They put 3 into truespeak and 5 into knowledge and craft. In fact they can even play a non human and forgo that +1... or have a lower into bonus.

their skill level increases by 3xCL while the DC to cast increases by 2xCL.

Heck if you want to make them REALLY interesting, allow them to have a spell active on more than one target at once, AND allow them to put as many points as they WANT into truespeak. :)
    Last edited by taltamir; 2009-09-14 at 04:11 PM.

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

People try and screw around with Truespeak on a weekly basis, including several good complete re-writes. My feeling is that you should just make them all Invocations with a recharge delay. Most of them are weaker then spells anyway.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    People try and screw around with Truespeak on a weekly basis, including several good complete re-writes. My feeling is that you should just make them all Invocations with a recharge delay. Most of them are weaker then spells anyway.
    So you can't reuse it for 5 rounds type? No more true speak? But what about the True naming spells?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Conjunctive. Gate.

Oh wait, you said most. Never mind. *Slinks way*
    Rogue Handbook | Warmage Rebuild | Diablo's Assassin | Revised Classes
    Potpourri Creation Contest II Winner: Desert Martial Adept Substitution Levels
    Potpourri Creation Contest III Best Characterization: Edward the Sly's Lucky Spells
    Prestige Class Contest XXI Submission: Child of the Seelie Court

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

well, to be honest... if you like the feel I think you should just say "wizards simply use truenames to cast spells, there is no such class as a true-suckmaster"

The point here was really to see, as an experiment, if one tiny single sentence change can make most pathetic class that I know of, and make it useful.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

With the current wording, a Truenamer has a skill cap of 3*level + 9 ranks. *shrug*

The first idea I had was a Truespeak exemplar. Truespeaker 3/Exemplar 5. Nice, simple diplomancer type; hits DC 50 or so with Skill Mastery. Blown out of the water by a proper diplomancer, though.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

That could work, maybe. But there's always:

this, or this.
    Last edited by Kallisti; 2009-09-14 at 06:03 PM.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    That could work, maybe. But there's always:

this, or this.
    those are nice, I have actually seen them before posting this thread and I actually like them. (as a matter of fact, my first exposure ever to truename WAS from the first one you linked).

This was intended as more of an experiment than an actual fixing. Even if this fix made them viable power wise, they still totally suck as a character to play without a total rewrite. (you can be powerful and still suck)