New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Default [D&D 3.5] Druid Help

I need help choosing feats. I am creating a level 3 Human Druid for our next D&D 3.5 campaign. The books we are allowed to use are the core rulebooks, the complete series, and the two compendium books (Spell and Magic Item). I am aware of the druid handbook, but most of the suggestions come from books that are banned in our campaign. I will be the groups primary healer, but I would like to make full use of the wild shape ability if that helps in your suggestions.

BTW the smiles on this site rock!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [D&D 3.5] Druid Help

Well, depending on DM, you may be able to pick up Multiattack now, which is a really nice feat for Wildshaping. Touch of Healing reserve [Complete Mage] is a decent healing option, but as it can only heal you to half, you should only use it when you can't do the normal Wand-healing which makes it quite poor (btw, considering most Wildshape-forms can't use Wands, it's worth having another character with Use Magic Device in the party if you plan on Wildshaping extensively).

Other options include Augment Summoning (summons are always good on a Druid), Extend Spell (especially for later on and Creeping Cold), Natural Bond (to buff your AC), Craft-feats (Craft Wondrous Items is wonderful for a Druid; Monk's Belt, Wilding Clasps, Periapts of Wis, everything a Druid wants is a Wondrous Item), etc. Obviously Natural Spell on 6.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

If you want to do a bunch of healing, Spontaneous Healer (CDivine) is probably a good idea. Also, Natural Spell (PHB). I'd also recommend Spell Focus (Conjouration) and Augmented Summoning (both PHB), since summoned creatures can absorb hits as well. Think of it as proactive healing. Don't forget about Summon Nature's Ally when you want to heal. A single unicorn (SNAIII) is capable of producing more healing than a single Cure Serious Wounds spell. Thats efficiency, and at higher levels you can either get MORE unicorns, or summon bigger stuff with better heals, like Cuatls, provided the rainbow overload doesn't kill you (I kid).

Also, most of your out of combat healing should be done with a Wand of Lesser Vigor. LV is in Complete Divine, and will heal 11 points per charge. Better than the 1d8+1 that CLW gives. Same price too. For a bit more cash, you can get a Pearl of Power 1, memorize a single Lesser Vigor, and heal up to 15 points out of combat by level 5. Thats a pretty good investment. Everyone in your party can also pitch in and buy some, or you can craft them (Craft Wonderous, VERY GOOD FEAT!) and have a nearly unlimited amount of out of combat healing, so long as you don't get killed, that is! :P
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2009-09-15 at 04:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

DM says I must have the ability to use 3 or more natural attacks before taking the multiattack feat, so basically I need to be lvl 5+ before taking the feat.

Lvl 1: Spell Focus (Conjuration), Augment Summoning
    Lvl 3: ???
    Lvl 6: Natural Spell

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Craft Wondrous Item costs XP every time you make an item

Natural Bond seems useless unless you multi-class
    Last edited by Nickatron; 2009-09-15 at 04:52 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

If you don't want craft wondrous item, just grab Natural Bond (CAdv) so you can pick up a stronger AC
    Last edited by Kylarra; 2009-09-15 at 04:52 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Bah, you beat me before I edited my post

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

How about this as an option:

1st: Improved Initiative
    1st: Companion spellbound (Complete Adventurer or C. Scoundrel: can share spells with your animal companion up to 30ft away)
    3rd: Craft Wondrous Item
    6th: Natural Spell
    9th: Quicken Spell

It's pretty much the build I use on my druid - companion spellbound's proven extremely useful so far for buffing, and if your DM allows you to count as an animal in wildshape like in 3.0, it goes from useful to awesome.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Nickatron View Post

By a reading, Natural Bond can be used to mitigate the adjustment of a higher-level AC. As for Craft, yes, it costs you XP but then you'll be a level lower and get more XP from encounters and catch up fast enough.

XP costs aren't really a problem, especially when they're small like with crafting wondrous items (25th of the total cost). Don't let them sway you from Crafting; indeed, gold is much more valuable than XP in this game by default so being able to get your items for ½ price far outweighs the XP expediture, especially since this means you can craft whatever the hell you want.

And yeah, Companion Spellbond is a great feat too; Greater Magic Fangs, Barkskins, Air Walks, etc. that's a lot of saved spells in buffing if both use the same (though it removes some strategic versatility in terms of arranging ambushes, chasing down fleeing opponents and so on). Lesser Rod of Chain Spell does this arguably better tho.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-09-15 at 04:57 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Er no, it lets you use stronger base creatures like these and obviate the penalty for doing so.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fleshraker Dinosaur :D

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

I don't think Natural Bond works like you think it does.

Quote Originally Posted by CAdv
    NATURAL BOND:
    Add three to your effective druid level for
    the purpose of determining the bonus Hit Dice, extra
    tricks, special abilities, and other bonuses that your
    animal companion receives (see page 36 of the Player’s
    Handbook). This bonus can never make your effective
    druid level exceed your character level.

13. - Top - End - #13

I don't think Natural Bond works like you think it does.
    The gist of it is that higher level companions reduce your effective Druid-level so then Natural Bond can again increase your effective Druid-level to compensate for the loss. Bonuses are always applied in the most beneficial order.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-09-15 at 05:12 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

It all makes sence now

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Akal Saris View Post
    How about this as an option:

1st: Improved Initiative
    1st: Companion spellbound (Complete Adventurer or C. Scoundrel: can share spells with your animal companion up to 30ft away)
    3rd: Craft Wondrous Item
    6th: Natural Spell
    9th: Quicken Spell

It's pretty much the build I use on my druid - companion spellbound's proven extremely useful so far for buffing, and if your DM allows you to count as an animal in wildshape like in 3.0, it goes from useful to awesome.
    I cant find companion spellbound in either of those books do you have a page number?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keewatin View Post
    I cant find companion spellbound in either of those books do you have a page number?
    The feat is in Player's Handbook II page 77.
    Last edited by Atelm; 2009-09-16 at 06:16 AM.
    Oz Bezarius avatar by Kwarkpudding.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

For Rangers however Natural Bond works to help your animal companion grow stronger cause as a ranger your effective character level is lower than your actual character level to begin with.
    "Do ever keep present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it"- Jarlaxle
    "I cannot know where I most wish to be because I have not seen all that there is."-Jarlaxle

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

G'day g'day! Welcome to the playground! Might want to check out zee rulez, specially the part about thead necromancy. Remember, ALWAYS check the last post date before posting.

If you want to comment on a dead thread, proper ettiquette round here is to start a new thread, link the post relating to it, quote any relevant parts from it, and build from there.

Welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: Thread necromancy.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex