New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Beholder

Default 4.0: question about diffuculty

okay, so we all know that two levels higher then the party is a hard, but is four levels higher impossible or just very very hard?

please evolve my evil demon.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: 4.0: question about diffuculty

Depends on the level, the optimization, the party makeup, and the monster set up.

The answer in general is yes.

3. - Top - End - #3

Beholder

basically it would be the level three party described in the starter set DMs booklet, vs a yuan-ti swiftscale. only that. but the PCs can't move until they have it bloodied. at which point it might use a special abillity i might give it to summon two goblin hexers.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Well I can't find the Yuan-ti Swiftscale anywhere, but it sounds like it's a high level regular monster. And the answer is, no, you can't throw it at them and have them well, live. Monsters work at plus or minus five levels.

5. - Top - End - #5

Beholder

it's a level seven monster not recorded in monster manuals, however i have a stat card for it that came with my DND miniatures starter set.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalbattle View Post
    okay, so we all know that two levels higher then the party is a hard, but is four levels higher impossible or just very very hard?
    Definitely not impossible. Four levels? That's +4 to hit and defenses, which is not at all insurmountable. Two levels higher may well be par for the course if your party is decent at character building, at strategy, and at teamwork. A good party would consistently be able to take on encounters four levels higher. Sure, it would cost them dailies and action points, but that's what dailies and action points are for.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

An encounter 4 levels above the party's level is doable... The DMG says you should try to keep it within the range of 1 below to 3 above, but it also mentions that if you have an encounter that's 4 above, you should count it as 2 encounters for the purposes of milestones. In saying that, they're saying that it's not entirely unreasonable to do.

EDIT: A monster 4 levels above? I don't know the party's level. The higher they are, the larger a gap they can comfortably face. At level 1, I'd say no. At level 6, definitely. At level 3... Sure, try it.
    Last edited by Thajocoth; 2009-09-19 at 10:06 PM.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

A good adventurer doesn't believe in impossible.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

+4 encounter with monsters within 3 of their level: Very hard. Doable but the party will have to nova, use good tactics, and use most of their action points.

+4 standard monster in a standard level encounter: Not too bad if they are at least over level 5. Will need a buff leader or attack bonus powers.

+4 elite or solo monster: high chance of TPK. no
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

10. - Top - End - #10

Beholder

okay, so would this be a good final encounter?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    +4 elite or solo monster: high chance of TPK. no
    Huh? Most solo monsters aren't particularly threatening because they'll simply get dazed, immobilized, marked, cursed and so forth all at the same time. Sure, they take long to kill because they can have 500 or more hit points, but a group of monsters is generally much more dangerous than a solo.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Huh? Most solo monsters aren't particularly threatening because they'll simply get dazed, immobilized, marked, cursed and so forth all at the same time. Sure, they take long to kill because they can have 500 or more hit points, but a group of monsters is generally much more dangerous than a solo.

Because if you don't stunlock it, it has +4 to attack rolls and defenses, and 100 extra HP. It will be hitting of rolls of 5 and 6 and the party will need natural 16s and above to hit.

Adult black dragon 11 solo lurker: +16 attack 28 AC
    19 str superior 7th level 2H fighter with feats: +12 attack 21 AC

Dragon hits 75% of the time with 2 claws and deals 2d6+8 damage
    Fighter misses 75% of the time and takes 1d8+4 damage

Not counthing the breath weapon that will hit, deal damage, and drop the fighter AC so the dragon can only miss on a 1.

Meaning if you don't lock it with a daily power, everyone gets smashed.
    Boring fight or TPK.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    Because if you don't stunlock it, it has +4 to attack rolls and defenses, and 100 extra HP. It will be hitting of rolls of 5 and 6 and the party will need natural 16s and above to hit.
    Dragons, maybe. But dragons are pretty much the strongest solo around.

Everything else, the party will just prone, daze, mark, curse, quarry etcetera. 100 extra HP doesn't matter - that only adds tedium, not challenge. If it has +4 on attack, then sure, it will hit often, but that's what healers are for. If it has +4 on defense, then the party will still hit on a 12 or 13 given decent tactics and/or a good leader. Then there's also many powers that auto-hit, or boost attacks, or drop defenses.

But yeah, most solos do make for a boring fight regardless.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2009-09-20 at 10:51 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Beholder

hmm... would it still be boring if when bloodied he could not be stunned?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

It would mitigate the concern but then you turn the monster into an actual videogame BOSS monster.

Notice in many videogame RPGs, you can't actually use the speciail abilties like blindness, stun and sleep since the whole action denial means that a monster is pretty much screwed when gangpiled like that.

I've found that the best method is what others have done. Simply bite the bullet and use more monsters (for example, a LEVEL X+4 SOLO is equal to 2 Solos of LEVEL X and even though they are "weaker", they provide a much better fight) or design a Solo from the ground up

16. - Top - End - #16

Beholder

okay, but seven is an odd number, so it's indivisible by two.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, because (at least in heroic tier) stunning is not really an option for the player characters, and thus isn't the problem.

However, making the monster immune to some condition doesn't really help, because this takes certain player powers from overpowered to worthless. Given that characters only get six combat powers, other than at-wills, making some of those powers worthless makes the fight (1) more boring and (2) more liable to TPK.

18. - Top - End - #18

Beholder

okay, so how can i make it unboring.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

okay, so how can i make it unboring.
    What Allister said - use two slightly lower-level monsters. Or, throw in a group of minions, or a few extra enemies. Just take the name "solo" with a grain of salt and add in some support monsters for variety.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

A few things I've noticed in regard to Solos:

1) They tend to have too much HP. This has been fixed slightly in MM2 (Actually, a lot of the issues with Solos and Minions were fixed in MM2). I recommend decreasing the total amount of hp, and giving the monster an additional attack power, or something else interesting to make up for it

2) They need to have a way of preventing getting dazed/stunned/whatever over and over until they die. Some do this with bonuses to saving throws, some are able to make an immediate saving throws, some are able to deflect attacks onto party members. Quick example Last week, my party went up against a solo monster that, rather than having a normal initiative, had 3 set initiatives (25, 15, and 5), and each one of those was able to take 1 standard action. It made things very interesting, because powers that lasted til the end of the monsters next turn, or that were "save ends" had a completely different dynamic

3) The environment needs to be exciting. The one thing that 4e has done very well, is make a big deal about where you're fighting, not just what. Don't put the solo they fight in a 30' x 30' square room. Put obstacles and traps, and interesting terrain in it. I recommend coming up with something that can be dangerous to both the party, and the solo, so that the party can try and use more advanced tactics to use the terrain or whatever it is to their advantage, while trying to prevent the monster from using it for it's advantage.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I haven't GMed 4th yet so I'm just speculating based on 3.5. My answer is that it depends.

Level 1 characters shouldn't fight something that's level 5. Level 11 characters would be challenged by something level 15. Level 21 characters will do fine against something level 25.

This doesn't even take into account optimization or party makeup. A 4 level gap is bigger at level 1 than at 20.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.