New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Warlocks and ability focus

I'm planning on making a warlock, and I recently noticed that it said that warlocks can take ability focus for their invocations. After a bit of searching, i found that they had to take it separately for eldritch blast from other invocations. However, does anyone know if you can take ability focus (invocations) to apply to all your other invocations (since eldritch blast is treated somewhat differently from other invocations) or if you would have to take the feat separately for each invocation you want it to apply to?

Thanks in advance
    Epic avatar by Serpentine
    (>*,,*)> Zombie wants to be your friend.

There are no problems that cannot be solved by a liberal enough application of wolves. Think about it.

WIN

2. - Top - End - #2
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Warlocks and ability focus

You have to take it separately for each invocation. Eldritch Blast is a special case in that Eldritch Essense and Blast Shape invocations modify it rather than being their own independent abilities.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Dang. Oh well. Thanks for the help

There are no problems that cannot be solved by a liberal enough application of wolves. Think about it.

WIN

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

You might still want to check out the meta spell like ability abilitys. Quickened blast doubles your damage or lets you use a control evocation and normal blast at the same time.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think the Feat you might be looking for is Sudden Ability Focus, (ToM pg. 74.) It allows you to apply a +2 to the DC of any special ability (meaning all your invocations) you have, but only once a day. It stacks with regular Ability Focus for a +4, and can be taken multiple times.

Keep in mind, Warlocks Eldritch Blast save DC only comes into play when you're dropping area effects, like Cones, Lines, and emanations. Any other time, Sudden/Ability Focus doesn't help them, since they're making ranged touch attacks based on Dexterity and attack bonus, not Charisma save DC.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Those are all good ideas, but I'm really stingy with my abilities, so i don't like getting things that can only be used once or twice a day (that's partially why I'll be a warlock)

WIN

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Tokiko Mima View Post
    Keep in mind, Warlocks Eldritch Blast save DC only comes into play when you're dropping area effects, like Cones, Lines, and emanations. Any other time, Sudden/Ability Focus doesn't help them, since they're making ranged touch attacks based on Dexterity and attack bonus, not Charisma save DC.
    What about essences that require saves?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Then focus on charisma.
    There's Beguiling Influence: +6 on Bluff, Diplomacy and Intimidate, duration 24 hours, that combined with a high charisma and full investment in those skills give you power to rival any Bard, while at the same time having your Eldritch Blast on hand.
    check out my metal band: http://www.facebook.com/Dreamslain

Wash: "Sweetie, we're crooks. If everything were right, we'd be in jail."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

A long time ago in a ... well, you get the idea.

Quicken (Sp) is a better feat. Ability Focus is too narrow. That is a ton of feats if you take lot of invocations that have a save. Maximize (Sp) is also a decent choice.

Warlock is little more than a blaster. They are one of the few classes that can seriously benefit from having a Bloodline (devil is particularly fun) and can pull off being a blaster. The best invocations you can take do not even require a save; Eldritch Glaive, the Flight one, Hellrime Blast, etc.

That coupled with having the best skill in the game (UMD), and can Take 10 on it at effectively any time? Sign me up George.

Wait, I did...

Garet Yasur
    (Pathfinder) CE (Eventually LE) Gnome
    (Unearthed Arcana) Devil Bloodline
    Warlock 5 / Enlightened Spirit (re-fluffed to Evil alignment) 10 / Hellfire Warlock 3

After Racial mods:
    Strength 11
    Intelligence 18
    Wisdom 10
    Dexterity 18
    Constitution 16
    Charisma 18

Feats:
    Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Violate Spell Like Ability, Empower Spell Like Ability (Eldritch Blast), Craft Wondrous Item, Quicken Spell Like Ability (Eldritch Blast)
    Last edited by Quirinus_Obsidian; 2009-09-20 at 11:57 AM.
    Funny, I always figured I'd be killed by a paladin.
    So, what you're saying is we rolled a 1 on our credit check?

Spoiler
    Show