New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Program for Creating Maps?

I want a program that allows for good labeling and finer details such as doors and walls to be put on a grid.

Any suggestions?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Program for Creating Maps?

Campeign cartographer is good but a little complecated. There is nother called dungeon tiles that is decent but i havent been able to find it lately.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

GIMP, along with a LOT of free time on your hands.

As for something you would actually want, sorry. I'm stumped. There's always a handful of programs floating around that can do this, but I haven't found one that is both free and good.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Colony character: Derek Johnson (retired)
    2e anybody? character: Maksil (retired)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Tried MapTool?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Go to the Cartographer's Guild. Check out their stuff. Make some friends. Learn much. Profit.

5-4-3-2-1.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

You might find this useful. I found it nice, when it generated a dragon in the first room.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Dungeoncrafter. Add the TSR blue tileset for extra win.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Do you care how the maps look? I'm working on a tool for making quick and dirty Angband/Nethack style maps. This won't make anything you can show your PCs, but it's good for GM notes. I can make a map quicker with this than with any other program I've seen (but you should take that with a grain of salt, since I designed it and fully grok all the controls). It's not for everyone though.

Source is available here. http://gm.sagotsky.com/?p=161#more-161
    It works in linux if you have ncurses. OS X should work too, but I haven't tried. In windows you'll probably need cygwin (again, with ncurses). When I have a non-beta version of the program I'll package it up nicer (the windows version will probably be bundled into a portable edition of cygwin unless anyone has any better suggestions).

Is there any interest in command line mapping or am I the only one who thinks this type of thing is useful?
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Depending on how artistic you are, I have found graph paper to be the best mapping tool out there. It's quick and easy.

I used campaign cartogragher for a while, but I found it took too long when I just wanted to throw together a map for a game quickly. There are also a number of "random dungeon generators" that you can find by googling that phrase. These have been invaluable at times, even if it was just to give me ideas.
    Last edited by Crow; 2009-09-20 at 11:59 AM.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Dungeoncrafter. Add the TSR blue tileset for extra win.
    Broken link. Download didn't start and the link provided is again broken.

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    Do you care how the maps look? I'm working on a tool for making quick and dirty Angband/Nethack style maps. This won't make anything you can show your PCs, but it's good for GM notes. I can make a map quicker with this than with any other program I've seen (but you should take that with a grain of salt, since I designed it and fully grok all the controls). It's not for everyone though.

Source is available here. http://gm.sagotsky.com/?p=161#more-161
    It works in linux if you have ncurses. OS X should work too, but I haven't tried. In windows you'll probably need cygwin (again, with ncurses). When I have a non-beta version of the program I'll package it up nicer (the windows version will probably be bundled into a portable edition of cygwin unless anyone has any better suggestions).

Is there any interest in command line mapping or am I the only one who thinks this type of thing is useful?
    It might help if you'd speak english or povided something that a normal person can navigate for purposes of installation and use.

Depending on how artistic you are, I have found graph paper to be the best mapping tool out there. It's quick and easy.

I used campaign cartogragher for a while, but I found it took too long when I just wanted to throw together a map for a game quickly. There are also a number of "random dungeon generators" that you can find by googling that phrase. These have been invaluable at times, even if it was just to give me ideas.
    Graph paper was an obvious choice for me, however my family's scanner doesn't work.

You might find this useful. I found it nice, when it generated a dragon in the first room.
    While that thing is awesome, the map I want to create has to be a bit more specific than 'generic adventure', since that's just how I roll.

Go to the Cartographer's Guild. Check out their stuff. Make some friends. Learn much. Profit.
    If I had more energy, maybe...
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2009-09-20 at 06:34 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by imp_fireball View Post
    It might help if you'd speak english or povided something that a normal person can navigate for purposes of installation and use.
    That's english, but most of it's jargon. I'll write up something a bit more layman friendly eventually, but for now the program is still rough around the edges and I'd rather not be misleading about it. If compiling code frightens you, this isn't the right application and I wanted to get that point across.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.