New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Using Aura of Chaos

Every time I read through ToB, I keep think, there has to be a way to use/abuse Aura of Chaos to incredible effect, I just can't figure out what the best way to do that is. The warlock gestalt thread was what finally provoked me to put it forward in written form(hideous blow makes eldritch blast melee, qualifying for the Aura's goodness). So I put it to the community. How would you build around this stance?
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Using Aura of Chaos

In before 1d2 Crusader?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Jade Phoenix Mage and use Arcane Strike? Arcane Strike gives a lot of d4's, so the probability of one of them rolling maximum is pretty good.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, besides the semi-illegal trick of using a really small weapon (d1 or d2) and getting a re-roll ability for 1's, you basically just want a lot of dice. A Swift Ambusher build (Scout/Rogue) with tons of Skirmish and Sneak Attack dice and the Deadly Precision feat would work well.

People have done the math on it though, and it's usually not as impressive as a uber Charge build, which can multiply static damage bonuses.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    People have done the math on it though, and it's usually not as impressive as a uber Charge build, which can multiply static damage bonuses.
    Eh, what can I say. In MTG terms, I'm drawn to combo over aggro. The sheer potential damage here is ludicrous(no matter how improbable, it is still infinite). I mean, who doesn't want to hear their DM say: "You can stop rolling for damage on that attack, he's definitely dead"
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

If you're going to use Aura of Chaos in a non-theoretical game, I'd go with JPM using Arcane Strike and a quarterstaff. That should apply the d6s to both ends of the Quarterstaff. Add TWF and other such goodies with Heroics and profit.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.