New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Blind(sighted) as a bat?

I was thinking about a trick for a wizard with a bat familiar: cast Obscuring Mist or Darkness or something similar to mess up vision, and send your bat to deliver touch spells.

So, I looked up bat in the SRD. In D&D 3.5, the bat is listed as having blindsense, rather than blindsight. Blindsense means they still have a 50% miss chance when they attack.

This doesn't seem right to me. I remember seeing footage of a bat plucking a spider off a web without breaking the web or getting stuck.
    I looked up echolocation and saw some scholarly papers that reckon bats can range-find with +/- 0.7mm accuracy.

With that in mind, is it too much to give bats (or at least, the microbats, rather than the keen-eyed fruitbats) blindsight instead of blindsense?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Blind(sighted) as a bat?

Seeing as how that would also give Blindsight to the already-good Bat Swarm, yes, it would be too much.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Agreed with Ozgun.

If you'e the GM, it might be a fun thing to do for a single bat if you raise the wizard's CR to compensate.

If you are a PC, ask your GM if you can replace one of the bat's feats with Blind Fight. This will effectively reduce the miss chance to 25%. That would mean your bat is far more likely to land a hit than anyone else is inside of that Obscuring Mist.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I am a personal fan of realism over balance so I'd approve.
    "No extra charge!"