New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

frown A level 20 Monk, a Malconvoker, and Greater Planar Binding

This is quite a crazy question but here goes. The 8th lvl Malconvoker ability increases the HD for planar binding (as well as the lesser and greater versions) by 2. This means that greater planar binding can now be used to call an outsider with 20 HD. Since the monk's capstone ability means he is now an outsider for the purposes of spells and effects.

Does this mean that you could actually use Greater Planar Binding to bind level 20 monks? (As if monks needed even more problems)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A level 20 Monk, a Malconvoker, and Greater Planar Binding

I'd say yes, if you knew the specific individual you wanted, he resided on a different plane (since native outsiders probably can't be bound), and the DM agreed. You could also bind a level 20 tiefling wizard, for example.

But you can summon a balor - why would you ever want a monk?
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

To further prove how much monks suck...a caster can SUMMON one...and with the correct wording bind it forever...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AirTony7 View Post
    This is quite a crazy question but here goes. The 8th lvl Malconvoker ability increases the HD for planar binding (as well as the lesser and greater versions) by 2. This means that greater planar binding can now be used to call an outsider with 20 HD. Since the monk's capstone ability means he is now an outsider for the purposes of spells and effects.

Does this mean that you could actually use Greater Planar Binding to bind level 20 monks? (As if monks needed even more problems)
    worse than that... a monk of level 20 is an outsider, immune to negative effects of aging, except death, he still dies when his time is up...

Why is that so bad? because outsiders can NOT be resurrected... so as a level 20 ability the monk becomes:
    1. Summonable
    2. Bindable
    3. Immune to resurrection
    4. Immune to physical attribute decay from aging.
    5. immune to spells that age the character (AFAIK, there are none)

Worse capstone ever!
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    worse than that... a monk of level 20 is an outsider, immune to negative effects of aging, except death, he still dies when his time is up...

Why is that so bad? because outsiders can NOT be resurrected... so as a level 20 ability the monk becomes:
    1. Summonable
    2. Bindable

Worse capstone ever!
    Actually the Monk's capstone has specific wording which says they can be brought back to life; still doesn't prevent them from being summoned and bound though.
    Oz Bezarius avatar by Kwarkpudding.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

1. Summonable
    2. Bindable

Worse capstone ever!
    Well they are not actually an outsider as I recall. A level twenty monk is just treated as an outsider for spells and magical effects. So while this would normally preclude raising from the dead there is a clause that allows them to be treated as their original type for the purposes of such magic. Though planar binding is a spell and so they would still be vulnerable to that.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

I have to try binding a level 20 monk if I ever get a group together.
    Last edited by Sewblon; 2009-09-25 at 12:57 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and furry, signifying nothing. But enough about your story of your first child's death, you could all use an update on my problems.

To who ever starts another thread about Belkar's death, To the last I grapple with thee... from Hell's heart I stab at thee... For hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

Dread Cthulu wills that "Belkar-style lip-based assault" shall enter popular parlance! Remember kids, when in doubt, set something on fire.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sewblon View Post
    I have to try binding a level 20 monk if I ever get a group together.
    totally worth it... especially if there is a monk in your party...

EDIT: actually, why would you summon a crappy monk at 20 HD when you can actually summon something GOOD?
    Last edited by taltamir; 2009-09-25 at 01:05 AM.

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

EDIT: actually, why would you summon a crappy monk at 20 HD when you can actually summon something GOOD?
    To throw your enemies off guard by making them underestimate your intelligence.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by olentu View Post
    To throw your enemies off guard by making them underestimate your intelligence.
    if you summoned a monk instead of, say, a balor. Then they are correctly estimating your intelligence. ;p

But it would make for a hillarious miscast... "ok, you try to use the summon scroll, and you roll... ouch, miscast... lets see... you summon a monk, oh, that protection from evil isn't gonna work since he is not evil..."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

if you summoned a monk instead of, say, a balor. Then they are correctly estimating your intelligence. ;p

But it would make for a hillarious miscast... "ok, you try to use the summon scroll, and you roll... ouch, miscast... lets see... you summon a monk, oh, that protection from evil isn't gonna work since he is not evil..."
    I was thinking more along the lines of doing it once where they will see to deliberately feed them bad information.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

You know? I think the evidence is piling up that monks are supposed to be monsters, not player characters. They're bad at offense but good at not dying (leading to long, interesting fights), have highly situational abilities (so the DM can always put them somewhere where their abilities help), have a cool-sounding but mechanically ineffective combat style (punching people with swords in the face)... and now, you can summon them just like outsiders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

For the record, you don't need to be a Malconvoker to pull this off. Infernal Bargainer is a Feat in Races of Faerûn that does the same thing as Improved Calling. The two stack, too, but I don't think there are any 22 HD Fiends out there for you to access with it (though there are fiends that you could bind with regular or lesser PB instead of the next higher one if you have both).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    You know? I think the evidence is piling up that monks are supposed to be monsters, not player characters. They're bad at offense but good at not dying (leading to long, interesting fights), have highly situational abilities (so the DM can always put them somewhere where their abilities help), have a cool-sounding but mechanically ineffective combat style (punching people with swords in the face)... and now, you can summon them just like outsiders.
    i think you are right... at least a monk does not become immune to lycanthropy, he can get a were<lawful creature> to bite him to suck a little less. (I think werewolfs are CE, while werebears are LG?)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    For the record, you don't need to be a Malconvoker to pull this off. Infernal Bargainer is a Feat in Races of Faerûn that does the same thing as Improved Calling. The two stack, too, but I don't think there are any 22 HD Fiends out there for you to access with it (though there are fiends that you could bind with regular or lesser PB instead of the next higher one if you have both).
    Juiblex from the FCI has 21 HD. An Aspect of Bel from the FCII has 22, as does the Ethereal Defiler from MMV.

Those are the only canon three I'm aware of. There's probably more lurking somewhere.
    Last edited by Gnorman; 2009-09-25 at 02:52 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

i think you are right... at least a monk does not become immune to lycanthropy, he can get a were<lawful creature> to bite him to suck a little less. (I think werewolfs are CE, while werebears are LG?)
    Werebear is the only LG lycanthrope but being a super fast arrow deflecting kung fu panda is way awesome!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Nobody can be ressurected from dying of old age.

I'd watch out about giving the level 20 Monk lycanthropy - it grants HD.

And one more nifty Outsider trick, like the others, for not only monks but tieflings and aasimar - Reincarnate would reincarnate an Outsider as another type of Outsider - so why decide between the party Monk and a Balor, when you can make the party monk into a Balor?

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    And one more nifty Outsider trick, like the others, for not only monks but tieflings and aasimar - Reincarnate would reincarnate an Outsider as another type of Outsider - so why decide between the party Monk and a Balor, when you can make the party monk into a Balor?
    Outsiders can't be reincarnated. That rather bites.
    Last edited by The Mentalist; 2009-09-25 at 08:37 AM.
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Nobody can be ressurected from dying of old age.

I'd watch out about giving the level 20 Monk lycanthropy - it grants HD.

My friend died and I got him reincarnated as an elf.

Ha.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

A capstoned monk loses the ability to be hit by enlarge person, Monks LOSE options at the capstone.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Mentalist View Post
    Outsiders can't be reincarnated. That rather bites.
    Native outsiders - such as tieflings and level 20 monks - can.

Mind, with the Tiefling/Aasimar, the trick will only work once because they won't be outsider(native) anymore. With the Monk, however, it'll keep working so long as you let the Monk regain level 20.

22. - Top - End - #22

Ahhh... that's a neat trick.
    Having trouble writing up hard stat blocks but I'm doing a lot of sharing ideas and soft mechanics lately.

23. - Top - End - #23

Goblin

What's the biggest Level Adjustment we can give our Monk without giving him Hit Dice?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Half-Dragon Half-Fiend half-ect?

25. - Top - End - #25

Goblin

Lich turns all his HD to d12's and has a +4 LA, Demilich doesn't seem to adjust either of those.

(I'm restricted to core for the time being, looking up random things I remember to be templates.)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

A level 20 monk, a malconvoker, and a living spell of greater planar binding walk into a bar.

I haven't got much more than that. Any ideas?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Native outsiders - such as tieflings and level 20 monks - can.

Mind, with the Tiefling/Aasimar, the trick will only work once because they won't be outsider(native) anymore. With the Monk, however, it'll keep working so long as you let the Monk regain level 20.
    What would happen if you used, instead of Reincarnate, the 'Revivify' version of Reincarnate from Spell Compedium, which reincarnates them without level loss but must be used within one round?

They are changed into a normal outsider. Would their class feature then maintain their native status? Or is it that it changes them just at the moment, so they would need to go down to level 19 Monk and then up again to 20 to become outsider (native) again?

28. - Top - End - #28

Like an Incarnate.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    What would happen if you used, instead of Reincarnate, the 'Revivify' version of Reincarnate from Spell Compedium, which reincarnates them without level loss but must be used within one round?
    Their base type would become Outsider, but their Monk class feature would still render them as Outsider (Native) in addition to their original type. If they reincarnate without level loss, then they retain this class feature and could be reincarnated again immediately.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    Like an Incarnate.
    Or a level 10 Exemplar (CAdv PrC), if your team needs a bound skillmonkey.