New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Question Could blackguard work as a baseclass?

It seems weird that paladins, warriors for justice(in theory), are a base class, but blackguards, the evil equivalent, are a prestige class. The Dungeon Master's Guide mentions fallen paladins becoming blackguards, why not the other way around too? So have any of you ever modified or seen this modified this and do you think that it could work?
    Last edited by Sewblon; 2009-09-24 at 11:54 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and furry, signifying nothing. But enough about your story of your first child's death, you could all use an update on my problems.

To who ever starts another thread about Belkar's death, To the last I grapple with thee... from Hell's heart I stab at thee... For hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

Dread Cthulu wills that "Belkar-style lip-based assault" shall enter popular parlance! Remember kids, when in doubt, set something on fire.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Could blackguard work as a baseclass?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Well, if I remember correctly, there's a chart in the Blackguard entry that gives extra class features depending on how many fallen paladin levels the character has(or, they can exchange a full 10 fallen paladin levels for 10 full levels of Blackguard). It shouldn't be difficult to make a full 20 level class out of that chart in addition to the other abilities the Blackguard already has.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Technically, if you take straight paladin to way-high-epic (like 32nd), you can then switch out all your paladin levels for blackguard ones...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    My thoughts exactly, with possible modifications for more blackguard-i-nes.
    Hmmm, if I ever play an evil campaign, I think I will play a real hard nosed paladin of tyranny. Basically all the paladin stereotypes, ramped to Level Miko+. Anyone who steals from me, gets there hands chopped off. Yes. Hands. As in plural.They do it again, and I will only chop one thing off. A bit higher up though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

I've thought the exact same thing, but I would echo the use of the Paladin of Tyranny/Slaughter.

What I wanted to do once upon a time was just let you start out at the Blackguard class itself (after making ten more levels for it, which would just basically advance what they already get), but it's too good with Full BaB, some Sneak Attack and a decent spell list if you have some splats to help it.
    Last edited by Greymane; 2009-09-25 at 12:25 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

That is what I was looking for, thanks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and furry, signifying nothing. But enough about your story of your first child's death, you could all use an update on my problems.

To who ever starts another thread about Belkar's death, To the last I grapple with thee... from Hell's heart I stab at thee... For hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

Dread Cthulu wills that "Belkar-style lip-based assault" shall enter popular parlance! Remember kids, when in doubt, set something on fire.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

Remember, though, Paladin of Tyranny/Slaughter have codes of conduct that make the standard paladin's look like a breeze. "Never commit a good act." EVER. In addition, a paladin of slaughter must always disrespect any authority that has not proven to be physically stronger than him.

If you thought the normal paladin code was restrictive...

-Count Dravda

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Looking at these variant classes makes me really realize how bad the paladin is. There is no reason to take more than 3 levels. A Paladin3/Cleric17 loses 5 points of BAB, but has the same ability to turn undead, a Caster Level 7 higher, 9th level spells, and four time as many spells. Spontaneously casting cure spells is far superiror to Lay on Hands. Put in some fighter levels and you get a bit more BAB and some extra feats, and can still laugh at a Paladin20s spellcasting.
    You'd lose the mount, but how much mounted combat do you commonly have in a capaign at all?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Count Dravda View Post
    Remember, though, Paladin of Tyranny/Slaughter have codes of conduct that make the standard paladin's look like a breeze. "Never commit a good act." EVER. In addition, a paladin of slaughter must always disrespect any authority that has not proven to be physically stronger than him.

If you thought the normal paladin code was restrictive...

-Count Dravda
    Tyranny is a lot easier to maintain with decent RP. Slaughter is kind of lol CEvil.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tyranny is a lot easier to maintain with decent RP. Slaughter is kind of lol CEvil.
    Not terribly much better. You can never ever commit a good act. Kill a fiend that is trying to kill you? Fall for it. Way worse than regular Paladin.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'm actually playing a character in an Evil campaign right now.

Githzerai Blackguard 5.

when he takes a level of Blackguard, he also gains the benefits of having traded in X levels of Paladin. X=levels of BG.

It makes sense in story. (this was going to be a party NPC, but the DM decided after the first sessino that he didn't want to run the character, and asked if I wanted in.)

It works pretty well. i'm not grossly overpowered (except compared to the Marshall 4 / Favored Soul 3, but, then again, our Monk is overpowered compared to him.)

Although I recently got clearence to rebuild him, and I'm thinking Divine Mind (Hextor) or LE Monk. (20 Dex at level 5). Or Crusader.
    Last edited by Blackfang108; 2009-09-25 at 01:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Well, you could always argue with doing everything you do for selfish reasons. Saved your girlfriend? Just because you selfishly tried to save yourself from grief! Healed a wounded ally? You still need him for world domination! Rescued your friend from prison? Nobody is allowed to slap your bitch but yourself! ^^
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying