New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Default Suggestions for these stats

I'm sorta lost as to what i want to play. I'm leaning toward a gnome of some kind, but that's not set in stone.

Rolled with 4d6, drop the lowest:
    4D6.HIGH(3) = [6, 6, 5, 2] = 17
    4D6.HIGH(3) = [5, 3, 6, 2] = 14
    4D6.HIGH(3) = [2, 6, 6, 5] = 17
    4D6.HIGH(3) = [4, 4, 4, 6] = 14
    4D6.HIGH(3) = [3, 1, 1, 1] = 5
    4D6.HIGH(3) = [2, 3, 4, 6] = 13

3.5 - d20, anything goes from any WotC source. Starting at level 1, using premade modules.
    Obviously, I need a dump stat. I don't like dumping int or cha below 10, if i can help it. Wisdom I'd prefer not, but whatever works.

I don't like psionics.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Suggestions for these stats

you could dump cha, or wis naturally, with almost any character...
    you could play a primary caster and dump dex or str. especially if you play a small creature (harder to hit).
    dumping dex as some sort of warrior will make you easier to hit at first, but it will actually make dex boosting items and spells useful on you. (since heavy armor caps you at +1 dex bonus.

A low wis will go really well with an aspiring necromancer / warlock.. (dabbling in undead / sold my soul for power, not very wise)

you could really play anything
    Last edited by taltamir; 2009-09-25 at 08:36 PM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

The feat "Force of Personality," i think it's called, makes dumping wisdom appealling, actually, if I played a charisma-based class...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

The way I see it, you either:
    - Play a caster and dump Str to all hell.
    - Play a caster and dump one of Int/Cha/Wis to all hell.
    - Play a melee type and dump one of Int/Cha/Wis to all hell.
    - You play whatever and key the important things off not-that-dumped-stat.

Str seems to be the easiest (even warrior-types can easily be based off Dex or even Wis with some work), followed by Cha (but you expressed desire to keep it high, so let's), Int (but...yeah) and Wis (but...yeah; be a Pally, a character with Keen Intellect, or something to get by the Wis-needs though).

Beyond that, well, you have two very high stats so Dual Attribute Dependency is no problem; makes me think of the various Scouts, Swift Hunters, Archivists (and in general, dual stat casters), Bards, etc. I'd personally lean towards a smart, charismatic, nimble & durable Bard who can barely hold his lute.

Probably a traveling male Bard with a bit of a womanizer's fault (though you could throw a twist and reverse that with a man-eating female Bard), or alternatively a more...distant personality based on his insight and smarts, taking a third person look at the world and kind of...acting from outside it, so to speak.

Just some ideas.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-09-25 at 08:38 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

why no dex dump eladriel? (as an option mind you, not the best thing mechanically early on, but levels off later)...

low str warriors suck. get a low dex one, buff his dex early on, then get amulet, then get +5 inherant bonus. bam, dex 10. add a +2 amulet (trade down) and you are set for life.
    Last edited by taltamir; 2009-09-25 at 08:40 PM.

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    why no dex dump eladriel?
    The game starts on level 1. You don't want to walk around with AC 7 (or even AC 12 with a Scale Mail), nor with -3 to Initiative.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-09-25 at 08:40 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Probably a traveling male Bard with a bit of a womanizer's fault (though you could throw a twist and reverse that with a man-eating female Bard), or alternatively a more...distant personality based on his insight and smarts, taking a third person look at the world and kind of...acting from outside it, so to speak.

Just some ideas.
    I love bards. I'm trying to play something I haven't played before, though...

I'm leaning toward's gnomish beguiler.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    I love bards. I'm trying to play something I haven't played before, though...

I'm leaning toward's gnomish beguiler.
    Know what, care to give Factotum a whirl? You could mostly toss Wis to the wind if you will (or Str if you feel so inclined; either works) and pretty much just derive everything off Int, and...well, do everything!

I personally love Factotums for just the King of All Trades-stamp they're forced to live with, and the amount of variance even within the class. Though Beguiler would certainly be an interesting character too; maybe a Beguiler > Shadowcraft Mage? 'cause Gnome gives Shadowcraft Mage-access and the class is pretty awesome (crafting real spells from shadowstuff? Noice). Or just straight Beguiler.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-09-25 at 08:44 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

The game starts on level 1. You don't want to walk around with AC 7 (or even AC 12 with a Scale Mail), nor with -3 to Initiative.
    you don't want to walk around with a max load of 50 either...

Of course, dumping wis or cha is the easiest route.
    Last edited by taltamir; 2009-09-25 at 08:43 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

you don't want to walk around with a max load of 50 either...
    Actually, you can do that. You just don't want to play an armor-wearing class if you do. Go for a Handy Haversack given the money (use a mule or party Fighter until then) and you'll be fine. I'm playing an Str 4 Gray Elf right now in a PbP and it has yet to be an issue. I mean, what do I need at hands besides spell components, clothes, Haversack and maybe bow ('cause I'm an elf)?
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-09-25 at 08:44 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Actually, you can do that. You just don't want to play an armor-wearing class if you do. Go for a Handy Haversack given the money (use a mule or party Fighter until then) and you'll be fine. I'm playing an Str 4 Gray Elf right now in a PbP and it has yet to be an issue. I mean, what do I need at hands besides spell components, clothes, Haversack and maybe bow ('cause I'm an elf)?
    you could do a lot of things... but yea str is not very useful for a wis/sorc

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

One absurdly low statistic means, for me, Wizard, Sorcerer, Druid, or Artificer, with the low one in Strength. The problem becomes if not Strength, the set of abilities is good enough to permit a more armed or armored character who benefits from a broader array of decent statistics, which includes Archivists and Clerics, but nothing else is reasonable to hamstring this much.

13. - Top - End - #13

note: Force of Personality does not apply to all will saves. Glitterdust is still a pain.

14. - Top - End - #14

you could do a lot of things... but yea str is not very useful for a wis/sorc
    My point is that Str 5 doesn't mean your character is going to die very soon (or doesn't greatly increase the likelihood anyways); indeed, if the character is not a primary martial combatant, it's entirely doable, without as much as any real issues, even. Dex 5 or Con 5, on the other hand, is a death sentence on level 1.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-09-25 at 08:48 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

maybe a Beguiler > Shadowcraft Mage?
    That's what I was thinking.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

5 Str + Shadow = 33.33333% chance of autodying if you get hit once, dramatically higher if you get hit twice.

I try to never go below Str 8 if I can possibly help it.

EDIT:
    And I'd rather go FS Illusionist > ScM than Beguiler > ScM, but thats me...I just think its a more robust and versatile build. You don't need spontaneous Beguiler casting...you already have spontaneous ScM casting!
    Last edited by Keld Denar; 2009-09-25 at 09:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by sofawall View Post
    note: Force of Personality does not apply to all will saves. Glitterdust is still a pain.
    I would nearly houserule Force of Personality to be simply all Will saves, as Steadfast Determination uses Constitution for all Will saves. Of course, the prerequisite and additional benefit muddies the parallel, but Constitution is such a significant statistic anyway compared to Charisma for most.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    5 Str + Shadow = 33.33333% chance of autodying if you get hit once, dramatically higher if you get hit twice.

I try to never go below Str 8 if I can possibly help it.
    I don't understand this post. Please explain.

I'm really wishing monks didn't suck so bad. I could make a sweet pixie monk with these stats. (17-4 str, 14+8 dex, 14 con, 17+4 wis, 13+6 int, 5+6 cha)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Shadows. They are in the MM. Go look em up.

CR3, Incorporial Touch attack at +3

Damage is 1d6 STRENGTH.

IE, you get hit by one, and your DM rolls a 5 or a 6 (statistically speaking, 1 in 3), and you DIE! No save. Don't pass go, don't collect $200.

Oh, and like 1d4 rounds later...you become one, and eat your friends too.

Ask Saph, she loves shadows. She knows how bad they can wreck a poorly prepared, or even a well prepared party. Lots and lots of (un)dead people...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Shadow deals 1D6 strength damage when it attacks. if it rolls a 5 or a 6 (aka 2/6 = 1/3 chance) it'll reduce you to 0 and kill you.

edit: lol ninja'd, but I brought a link to the party.
    Last edited by Kylarra; 2009-09-25 at 09:04 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Ah, the only place i've faced a shadow was in NWN...

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

I once played a portly little Gnome Cleric with 3 Dexterity. It was great fun. The awesome that is Cleric can make up for the suck that is a Dex penalty.

He rode around dungeons on a goat, because he was afraid of tripping over his own feet every five steps if he walked.

EDIT:
    I'm really wishing monks didn't suck so bad. I could make a sweet pixie monk with these stats. (17-4 str, 14+8 dex, 14 con, 17+4 wis, 13+6 int, 5+6 cha)
    So. Pixie Swordsage? With Setting Sun/Tiger Claw maneuvers that actually give you bonuses for being smaller than your opponent?
    Last edited by Draz74; 2009-09-25 at 09:16 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Favored Soul!

Dump strength and go for a rear lines caster type. You'll have the spells to last all day.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

My point is that Str 5 doesn't mean your character is going to die very soon (or doesn't greatly increase the likelihood anyways); indeed, if the character is not a primary martial combatant, it's entirely doable, without as much as any real issues, even. Dex 5 or Con 5, on the other hand, is a death sentence on level 1.
    i got that, this is why I agreed with you.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

If I were forced to play a character with a 5 in one ability, I would treat it as a sort of disability and start my character concept with that.
    Someone with Con 5 is in a really bad shape and highly unlikely to get out of the house and into the wilderness.
    With either Str 5 or Dex 5, the character would likely have some kind of bone or muscle disease. Based on that, I would pick a class that lets him compensate for it, so I would either go with a wizard, sorcerer, or spellcasting only cleric. D&D asumes by default, that you don't have any non-combatants in the group, but I think it might be very fun to play.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    If I were forced to play a character with a 5 in one ability, I would treat it as a sort of disability and start my character concept with that.
    Someone with Con 5 is in a really bad shape and highly unlikely to get out of the house and into the wilderness.
    With either Str 5 or Dex 5, the character would likely have some kind of bone or muscle disease. Based on that, I would pick a class that lets him compensate for it, so I would either go with a wizard, sorcerer, or spellcasting only cleric. D&D asumes by default, that you don't have any non-combatants in the group, but I think it might be very fun to play.
    that is just cool and awesome... reminds me of raistilin...
    ok so mild autism would be... which mental stat? I am think wis or cha, not int
    super low int would be... dyslexia? (well, wis is common sense and int is book smarts... so... no that is just not right).
    For super low dex... parkinsons? or some other shaky hands cause...

Well... actually in retrospect, it doesn't work as well in DnD... because:
    1. Those are not a linear scale... a 3 for example is not 3/10th of a 10.
    2. If the cause is a disease or even disability, it is cureable... that means once you get the powerful divine magic, you can cure it...

Although, it would be an interesting concept to see if the DM Will let you do number 2... it is a horrible degenerative disease. Congenital, not infectious. A heal spell or maybe a greater restore could remove it and give you a better stat... say, a 10, or maybe at least an 8.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Hey, I'm famous. :P

Anyway, if you want to try a non-caster, how about a Warblade? They benefit quite nicely from high stats, and they're great at level 1. You could either dump Wis (and rely on Moment of Perfect Mind) or dump Cha (and be the stereotypical gruff fighter).

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

cha dump: "I kill people because human interaction is too damn hard"... ;p

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Play a Strongheart Halfling Scout 4/Ranger X with Agile Hunter (or whatever the feat is called). Drop CHA or STR, as you like it.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Maybe you could multiclass to persue a Sacred Fist PrC. Deliver harm spells to augment the damage.

"That pixie isn't healing people! She's killing them!"

Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.