New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default clinically insane?

okay. I've heard a DM or two state that chaotic neutral was clinically insane. Is this true by the rules? if so do you have to be chaotic neutral to be insane or is it like one of those "a square is always a rectangle but a rectangle is not always a square" situations?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: clinically insane?

You don't have to be clinicly insane to be CN.....But it helps
    You live in your world and I'll live in mine. Invade my world and I'll go medieval on your subconscious tookus.

Do not mistake my inaction for fear or doubt, if I desire you to hang yourself by your own rope why should I hasten the inevitable?

Do not underestimate me, for I have not underestimated you...

3. - Top - End - #3

Uh. No. It actually isn't. Chaotic doesn't mean full blown Dark Knight Joker crazy. Perfectly normal people can easily be Chaotic Neutral. Insanity could come from any alignment, by the way, even Lawfuls.
    "I am the very model of a scientist Salarian,
    I've studied species Turian, Asari and Batarian,
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology)
    Because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology!
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian,
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian!"

Don't play League of Legends? Want to?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's a joke. "Chaotic Neutral" is also referred to as "chaotic stupid", as characters of that alignment are far, far more likely to do idiotic things, have absolutely no though of consequences, and generally play like they're, you guessed it, clinically insane.

That said, it's not a rules thing, it's just something that happens a surprising amount. It's like saying "horses are brown"; not all horses are brown, and not all brown things are horses, but when you picture a horse you tend to picture it brown.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

5. - Top - End - #5

Beholder

Chaotic Neutral can be, although insanity can actually be lawful if insanity leads a person towards being obsessive compulsive and extensively organized, or the archetype of the recluse mathematician is a rather Lawful character. The first axis, in this case Chaotic, refers to order and position on order in the universe. Preferring absolute structure is the extreme of Lawful, while preferring absolutely no structure is the extreme of Chaotic.

Chaotic Neutral could be insanity, but this is not necessary for insanity nor is insanity necessary for Chaotic Neutral. Simply, Chaotic Neutral as played is a lack of concern for law without a specific want to relieve suffering.

6. - Top - End - #6

Actually, I don't think of brown horses, I think of Mustangs (the horse, not the car) that are 'painted'. But my preference proves Sonofzeal's analogy more - not all of them are brown, but many people think of Chaotic Neutrals as insane.

I'll just also echo what he said: Not all insane people are CN, and not all CN are insane. It's just that that's the only way most people know (or want to) play it that way. 2 dimentional and 'pretty much evil, without being an evil alignment'.
    Last edited by Je dit Viola; 2009-09-25 at 10:36 PM.
    I'm gone for a couple of years!
    I'm off doing service in developing countries in South America
    (Very little chance of internet access) - I'll try to come back afterwards

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

so what would a character who talks to themselves be?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

You know there is no such thing as clinical insanity, right? Insanity is purely a legal term.

9. - Top - End - #9

A character of any alignment could. It's not really a quirk that's limited by either axis... An LG person could have just as much of a tendency to talk to himself as a CE one would.
    "I am the very model of a scientist Salarian,
    I've studied species Turian, Asari and Batarian,
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology)
    Because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology!
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian,
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian!"

Don't play League of Legends? Want to?

10. - Top - End - #10

Alignments =/= medical conditions.

11. - Top - End - #11

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    You know there is no such thing as clinical insanity, right? Insanity is purely a legal term.
    It has medical validity: it's just going on a century outdated.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. [...]Where did you start yours?
    A street riot in a major city that was getting violent.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    Somebody who's lonely? Or they forgot how to internally monologue?

13. - Top - End - #13

Beholder

This would possess no specific bearing on the alignment of the character. Speaking to yourself, especially in d&d, does not limit you from performing good or evil or upholding or breaking law, nor simply being reserved about either. I mean, Minsc is obviously crazy and effectively talks with himself, but he is all about the good and less concerned with the law being a berserking ranger.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Prob'ly a Malkavian.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Well, the context of what you're speaking to yourself may or may not be important. If you constantly monologue to yourself about your overly elaborate scheme to sacrifice a city of kittens to somehow destroy Pelor, you might be edging a little bit towards the chaotic evil section.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2009-09-25 at 11:23 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias9 View Post
    It has medical validity: it's just going on a century outdated.
    Nowadays insanity is simply a legal term relating to a type of defence.

Psychotic, Sociopathic (or, closely related, Anti Social), Borderline, Histrionic, Obsessive-Compulsive, Disorganized Shizophrenic are all more like actual forms of madness.
    Last edited by Stormthorn; 2009-09-25 at 11:27 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Noisy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Insanity is not an alignment nor a requirement for one, and by Bahamut do I ha-... dislike people who think it is cool to play it. Mostly because they do it wrong. Angst is not insanity, nor is emo. Please keep that in mind. This message brought to you by the "you can't post one word posts" club.
    Last edited by Paulus; 2009-09-25 at 11:28 PM.
    Think what you want. I can't stop you.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Paulus View Post
    Noisy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Insanity is not an alignment nor a requirement for one, and by Bahamut do I ha-... dislike people who think it is cool to play it. Mostly because they do it wrong. Angst is not insanity, nor is emo. Please keep that in mind. This message brought to you by the "you can't post one word posts" club.
    I know completely where your coming from. Now, if a character is meant for comic relief as a sorta insane goofy guy, thats alright. Trying to make an serious mentally unbalanced person is hard.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    I know completely where your coming from. Now, if a character is meant for comic relief as a sorta insane goofy guy, thats alright. Trying to make an serious mentally unbalanced person is hard.
    Oh for comedic effect is fine, quirks, and eccentricities, and things that are seen as crazy is great and high humor! As long as it ISN'T serious or real in any way. Because then it would just be sad. and speaking of sad, beware the rant below.

Spare the rod...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Especially since the only benefit you should EVER get out of it is if you were an Alienist. And even they don't benefit that much. why? because it ISN'T A benefit. It isn't "cool" or "trendy" or something to strive for because it scares people. Heroes and Adventures should not have mental aliments, unless their players fully understand them and play them correctly. However, that is not to say if you use it correctly it can't be awesome. Hannibal per example. But it should usually be reserved for villains, especially since their end always turns out bad, bad, bad. but then I'm biased, for reasons you can probably figure out yourselves. but above because I see it way to often. "You don't want to mess with me! I'm crazy!!" ...yeah. People like that would literally crap themselves if they ever met a true insane person. But most of the time it always ends sadly. why? BECAUSE INSANITY IS NOT A GOOD THING! guh! /rant
    Spoiler the child.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

okay. I've heard a DM or two state that chaotic neutral was clinically insane. Is this true by the rules? if so do you have to be chaotic neutral to be insane or is it like one of those "a square is always a rectangle but a rectangle is not always a square" situations?
    The 2E PHB is the source of that over-simplification, I think. It has a line about "lunatics and madmen tend toward chaotic neutral behavior." I think those two categories are the only ones given in the CN description, so people thing "CN, oh, the insane alignment." Also, though, I think some DMs say you can't be CN because that's for insane characters to keep players from claiming CN but acting CE (or, as mentioned above, CStupid).

Someone could easily be insane, by whatever definition modern or medieval, without being CN or could be CN without being insane.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Ugh.

"CN is clinically insane."

"LG is a self-rightious ****."

"CE is a cannibalistic monster."

"Lawful can never break a promise."
    "Chaotic should never keep a promise."

"Evil is stupid."

"TN is only for druids."

"Etc."

A lot of these misconceptions do hold some truth to them, but by Zeus is it annoying when people treat them as facts.

[/end pointless, annoyed post]
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Prob'ly a Malkavian.
    Malkavians are a bad example, since they are well... unpredictable, which is a chaotic trait.

23. - Top - End - #23

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    A lot of these misconceptions do hold some truth to them, but by Zeus is it annoying when people treat them as facts.
    Chaotic is not random.
    Evil is not depraved and sadistic.
    Good is not not (double negative) killing villagers.
    Neutral is not murdering a villager then rescuing a damsel.
    Neutral is not ignoring laws.
    Neutral is not ignoring pleas for help.
    Neutral is not ambivalence.

A few of those the alignment can be, but especially the Neutral one of, "Well, I will kill this guy in order to steal the sword he is selling, but as long as I stop the more evil necromancer this should all balance...right?" is annoying.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vangor View Post
    Chaotic is not random.
    Evil is not depraved and sadistic.
    Good is not not (double negative) killing villagers.
    Neutral is not murdering a villager then rescuing a damsel.
    Neutral is not ignoring laws.
    Neutral is not ignoring pleas for help.
    Neutral is not ambivalence.

A few of those the alignment can be, but especially the Neutral one of, "Well, I will kill this guy in order to steal the sword he is selling, but as long as I stop the more evil necromancer this should all balance...right?" is annoying.
    This. So many people think that Neutral covers much of the territory actually covered by Evil. It really, really bothers me.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

So would this character attacking things that weren't there, talking to things that weren't there and talking to herself count as playing insane correctly?
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2009-09-26 at 03:52 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I'd say that almost everyone would agree that he does have mental health issues.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

WOTC has the same problem with alignment that most "designed by committee" alignment systems have...
    Take for example jade empire, a very very nice description of what "open hand" and "closed fist" stand for... which you get lectured on in the game by your kung fu masters... which the game then promptly ignores and treats and "TV evil" and "TV good".

Likewise the description for "chaos vs law" is not so bad... but then they go and give example characters, played by game designers, and those ARE clinically insane... and insane stupid... as in "compelled to wear a different outfit every day" or "talks in gibberish now and then"
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chaotic. The opposite of being lawful, which means you have a lot of order and structure in your life and for the most part will follow the laws of the land so long as they dont conflict with your ethical axis. So chaotic people are missing order and structure, and are likely to be very spontaneous and for the most part are not tied down by things like rules and laws. They dont even really value the honor system or verbal contracts and promises, tho they dont have to break said things.

Neutral. Not good. Not evil. More or less unaffected by the ethical axis.

So a chaotic neutral character has little to nothing in the way of restraints in the way of laws, systems of behavior, or ethical codes of conduct. They are like a loose cannon, tho there is no inherent reason that they should be either violent or dangerous, or be compelled to act "crazy." Theres just not a lot of outside reasons for them to do, or not do, whatever it is they do.

They have the most freedom when it comes to personal decisions, ironically even more so than TN.

Least, thats how I DM it. '

And for that matter, if characters want to play the great "cosmic balancing act between good and evil" then their character has an abnormal compulsion into the realms of things normally handled by deities, and as well is under a very lawful, if narrow, system of looking at things. So narrow, and so compulsive, that they cannot possibly be adventurers and usually take up the life of a monk or a cloistered cleric. My players dont get to use "a good act cancels an evil act" bs to justify being chaotic stupid. They just have to come up with a different concept entirely.
    Last edited by daggaz; 2009-09-26 at 05:25 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Paulus View Post
    Spare the rod...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Especially since the only benefit you should EVER get out of it is if you were an Alienist. And even they don't benefit that much. why? because it ISN'T A benefit. It isn't "cool" or "trendy" or something to strive for because it scares people. Heroes and Adventures should not have mental aliments, unless their players fully understand them and play them correctly. However, that is not to say if you use it correctly it can't be awesome. Hannibal per example. But it should usually be reserved for villains, especially since their end always turns out bad, bad, bad. but then I'm biased, for reasons you can probably figure out yourselves. but above because I see it way to often. "You don't want to mess with me! I'm crazy!!" ...yeah. People like that would literally crap themselves if they ever met a true insane person. But most of the time it always ends sadly. why? BECAUSE INSANITY IS NOT A GOOD THING! guh! /rant
    Spoiler the child.
    I have a 4E Wild Mage SORC who hears voices. That's how he gets his powers. ("I do what the voices tell me." or "The voices tell me you go BOOM!") What these "voices" are is not defined, and I have no intention of doing so unless the DM tells me to. He's rather unhinged from hearing voices all of his life, but he is far from evil.

I also played a Malkavian with multiple personalities. The players (and eventually the rest of the party) figured out she had it, but she never admitted to it. (She just thought she had blackouts. The secondary personality knew and admitted it when she came out.) I set up a situation that would cause the switch (stressful social situations), then told the ST he had complete control over her switches (to keep me from cheating, since the alternate had slightly better rolls with the Domain powers).

Then again, in both of these games, the players are mature enough to not make insanity a joke.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

30. - Top - End - #30

So would this character attacking things that weren't there, talking to things that weren't there and talking to herself count as playing insane correctly?
    No. You could just be a Spirit Shaman.
    But really, play it as you like. It's your game. Play it how you like.