Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Is Evocation really so bad?

It's not that it's bad, it's that other stuff does it better. Like Shadow Evocation.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Most of it is emulated by a line of spells in an otherwise more useful school. In other instances, the ones you listed aren't ones I use, even when I'm a generalist (I've never understood people's infatuation with force cage.) I can get the effects just as well from other schools of magic. Usually conjuration in this case.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

It's already been stated, but it's less that Evocation is bad and more that it has little unique about it to recommend it. There are a few spells which would be nice to have, but it's easy to drop Evocation.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    It's not that it's bad, it's that other stuff does it better. Like Shadow Evocation.
    Shadow Evocation means you're casting lower level spells, don't scale nearly as well, offer enemies twice the saves, and are basically hosed against things that are immune to mind-affecting. Unless you're using SCM quasi-real shenanigans, I wouldn't consider Shadow Evocation that strong an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    Most of it is emulated by a line of spells in an otherwise more useful school. In other instances, the ones you listed aren't ones I use, even when I'm a generalist (I've never understood people's infatuation with force cage.) I can get the effects just as well from other schools of magic. Usually conjuration in this case.
    You don't use Wall of Force? Really?

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Would you rather do the same thing everyone else is doing better than them (damage), or do stuff that they can never possibly do (every other Wizard school)?

Now, the non-damage Evocation spells are good, but there's only a handful of them, all of which can be replicated by a couple of Illusion spells.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2009-09-26 at 11:24 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Shadow Evocation
    Shadow Evocation, Greater

Mount
    Orb of Force (or Acid), Lesser
    Rope Trick
    Solid Fog
    Shadow Evocation
    Again, Solid Fog
    Craft Contingent Spell feat
    ... is fire damage.
    ... costs 1500 gp. Also, Greater Shadow Evocation.
    Solid Fog for a third time. Orb of Force (or Acid), Irresistable Dance...
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    What for?

I fail to understand the utility of casting a spell that makes it harder for me to get at my soon to be victims. I suppose I could use it to cut off their escape routes, but frankly, I enjoy the thrill of the chase.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Evocation isn't bad. It's less useful than other wizard schools, but it doesn't mean it's weak. It's not Evocation's fault that a) Someone decided to make a spell that replicates an entire school and b) Conjuration is way too strong and walks onto Evocation's turf.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Shadow Evocation means you're casting lower level spells, don't scale nearly as well, offer enemies twice the saves, and are basically hosed against things that are immune to mind-affecting. Unless you're using SCM quasi-real shenanigans, I wouldn't consider Shadow Evocation that strong an argument.

My players in a villain campaign were trying to use Wall of Force to kill a silver dragon that was strafing their Legions of Terror™. It was a bit annoying, but intelligent, I suppose.

Anyway, the way I see it, Evokers have their place - it's just not as the party's main arcane spellcaster.
    Last edited by Jergmo; 2009-09-26 at 11:28 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    DM: "Sunder the wall?! WT**** kind of tactics are these!?"
    Me: The kind that armies have been using for millennia.
    DM: They didn't do it with swords!
    Me: Which makes us so much cooler.

Player: Where are the babau in relation to everyone else?
    Me: They're right behind you. Vesil is covered in Loki's blood. That is their location in relation to you.
    Player: I was just wondering about a fireball.

My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Derived from the Latin de (from; out of) and fenestra (window or opening).

Thus, we are given the greatest Evocation ever....Defenestrating Sphere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Temet Nosce View Post
    It's already been stated, but it's less that Evocation is bad and more that it has little unique about it to recommend it. There are a few spells which would be nice to have, but it's easy to drop Evocation.
    People see Evocation as the school for direct damage. I don't think that's fair; the thing it seems based around most strongly is force effects. Virtually all the Force spells ever printed (and there's quite a lot, often very good ones) are in the Evocation school. It seems to me that that alone is a pretty reasonable recommendation of the school; they may not be the most game-shattering (with a few exceptions, like Forcecage + Dimensional Anchor), but they're often the hardest to resist/bypass, and the ones that work most consistently against virtually every monster you'll run into.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

It's great against large groups of enemies, and not much else. But when your attacking entire armies of hundreds, thousands, or even millions, nothing beats evocation.
    "No extra charge!"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I would ban it, something I can't say about many other schools.

15. - Top - End - #15

People see Evocation as the school for direct damage. I don't think that's fair; the thing it seems based around most strongly is force effects. Virtually all the Force spells ever printed (and there's quite a lot, often very good ones) are in the Evocation school. It seems to me that that alone is a pretty reasonable recommendation of the school; they may not be the most game-shattering (with a few exceptions, like Forcecage + Dimensional Anchor), but they're often the hardest to resist/bypass, and the ones that work most consistently against virtually every monster you'll run into.
    You know what Byasses everything? Solid Fog.

Unforuntatley for game balance, force effects, while good, aren't enough to not ban the school.

Wall of Force is a fine spell, but Wall of Stone is almost as good and comes with a huge versatile school instead of a quite limited one.
    Last edited by aje8; 2009-09-26 at 11:32 AM.
    Fire Emblem Optimizer and Game Balancer (apparently) in the Playground
    A note on using my Fire Emblem rules:
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm mostly retired from Fire Emblem PbPs, and indeed the PbPs in general at present. So if you wish to use my character creation rules, I would appreciate a PM, but feel free to start the game before I respond, as it might be a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti
    "Reason itself is fallible, for logic must account for all the crazy **** wizards keep doing."
    Harry Dresden Avatar by Deuxhero

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Evocation is meant for ghost-busting, and blowing up large groups and the occasional type of energy vulnerability exploitation. Anyone who uses it differently is using it wrong.
    "No extra charge!"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volkov View Post
    It's great against large groups of enemies, and not much else. But when your attacking entire armies of hundreds, thousands, or even millions, nothing beats evocation.
    Gate.

Evocation: The only spells worthwhile in Evocation can be replicated with Shadow Evocation/Greater(IE: Wall of Force, Forcecage, etc), and sometimes to your benefit(ignoring the material component of Forcecage, for example). Otherwise, the cost-vs-benefit is in favor of specialization.

18. - Top - End - #18

Sure, I agree that the force spells are great (like you mention, the traditional "caster screw you now" method relies on Forcecage/Dimensional Anchor/Timestop/Celerity/Maw of Chaos which means you have to have Evocation) however, Forcecage isn't much of a staple unless you're doing that due to costs... So it's less of something you have to have than something it's nice to have. Wall of Force is also definitely excellent, but is extremely situational and more importantly can be mostly duplicated by other wall spells (I don't deny it's one of the best but... Really, you could just replace it with Prismatic Wall pretty easily)

Other than that though? I mean really, what about the school is truly irreplaceable? Stuff you can't get elsewhere?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Evocation is a good spell school. It just doesn't have an array of absurdly abusable spells like most of the other schools have.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by aje8 View Post
    You know what Byasses everything? Solid Fog.
    Incorporeal/ethereal creatures laugh at you.

The point I'm trying to make is that, even inside Core, Evocation has some pretty respectable Battlefield Control power that seems to be pretty much ignored in all discussions of it. I virtually never hear people talk about Force Effects in the context of Evocation, just direct damage (which, admittedly, is rather poor and can be handled by other schools). I'm not saying it's the best school, or even that it can compete with Conjuration or Transmutation. Still,
    I don't see why it's always first on the chopping block, as Illusion/Enchantment/Divination/Abjuration all have their own weaknesses too. I suppose the only major failing of the school is that it tries to compete with one of the Big Two. On its own merits, I think it's surprisingly decent and rather underrated.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Evocation's new campaign slogan:

EVOCATION! At least its not as bad as Enchantment!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Then I research a spell "immunity against all types of energy".

Now it is.
    Last edited by Yora; 2009-09-26 at 11:48 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    EVOCATION! At least its not as bad as Enchantment!
    But when you're specializing in anything other than Divination, what do you chuck? Evocation/Enchantment.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post
    But when you're specializing in anything other than Divination, what do you chuck? Evocation/Enchantment.
    Actually, I disagree about Enchantment. True, unless you use the Nightmare Spinner variant it's not that great at high levels (and even with it, the Will save issue is a problem) but it DOES offer access to spells you are not going to get elsewhere. I tend not to drop Enchantment unless I feel I really need to, my default second drop is Necromancy. You lose some debuffs, and ability damage spells but you can get most of that stuff elsewhere.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Well, in all fairness, I would say that 95% of all D&D players don't know that Conjuration is a powerful school and get kicks out of Evocation and Enchantment.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Floating Disk
    Tiny Hut
    Bigby’s Significant Digit Interposing/Forceful/Grasping/etc Hand

Discuss. =P
    Huh? Im not gonna get into all of those, but floating disk is pretty much a non-combat utility spell for carrying stuff. Not really all that important once you get bags of holding, flight, etc. Usefulness gone in a flash.

Why bother with Tiny Hut when you have a Rope trick?

The various bigby's spells are kinda weak.

If it's not a force spell and it's in evocation, it's not worth messing with.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temet Nosce View Post
    Actually, I disagree about Enchantment. True, unless you use the Nightmare Spinner variant it's not that great at high levels (and even with it, the Will save issue is a problem) but it DOES offer access to spells you are not going to get elsewhere. I tend not to drop Enchantment unless I feel I really need to, my default second drop is Necromancy. You lose some debuffs, and ability damage spells but you can get most of that stuff elsewhere.
    The school isn't weak, but has the most redundant stuff unless you're making a social beast Charming folk left and right. It also has nice buffs, but Transmutation and Illusion are much better in that regard. I'd always ban Enchantment first unless I was making a very socially focused character.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

This is true. Just because its not the most mechanically strong thing EVAR, doesn't mean everyone does it that way.

Otherwise everyone would only play Wizards and Druids and Clerics...and maybe Artificers and Archivists.

But people play melee characters. They play rogues. They play a lot of stuff that is "sub-optimial". Just because its weaker mechanically, doesn't mean its less fun.

Of course, this doesn't make it any LESS weak, mechanically speaking, just more forgivable.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Flashburst, a 3rd level Evocation in FRCS, is a long range spell that blinds all creatures in a 140' area (will negates).

[edit]
    Evocation is a really great school, but most of the really great stuff is on divine lists.
    Last edited by Myrmex; 2009-09-26 at 12:08 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    The school isn't weak, but has the most redundant stuff unless you're making a social beast Charming folk left and right. It also has nice buffs, but Transmutation and Illusion are much better in that regard. I'd always ban Enchantment first unless I was making a very socially focused character.
    I wouldn't recommend it for buffs alone really, but honestly I get a lot of mileage out of Enchantment in comparison with other schools, particularly if you start at low levels. Sure, if you're starting at level 20 and you don't have high DCs the school isn't going to offer you much, but charm person can be more effective alone used carefully at low levels than some other entire schools and then there's Sleep (everyone's favorite low level save or die!), Heroism, Hideous Laughter...