New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Story of Ash, Chapter 2 - Let's Play Monster Rancher Advance 2!

Edit: Sorry, I thought we were still generating.
    Last edited by Pie Guy; 2009-09-29 at 06:02 AM.

2. - Top - End - #62

It seems Pixie's won (not that I was keeping solid count ), followed closely by Zuum, Mocchi, and Suezo (not necessarily in that order though).
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'm surprised that you didn't try GITP.

And by all means use a Pixie.

4. - Top - End - #64

Default It Begins! Again!

Day One...
    Today, I got stuck here. I don't know where here is, I don't know how I got here, all I know is that I'm here. I think I got a concussion, because I can't make out any of the landscape, it all seems blank and white.

Day Two...
    I don't think I have a concussion anymore. The landscape isn't white. It's messed up, I keep seeing small portions of everywhere I've been to. It's very disorienting.

Can't find food yet, worried I'll starve.

Day Four...
    Still haven't found any food, but I haven't been feeling hungry. Can't be sure about how long I spend here any more.

Day Seven...?
    What the hell am I writing on?

Day Twelve...?
    I've given up on looking. No food, no shelter (not that it matters, there's no weather either), and no people.

I think I'm in hell.

Day Eighteen...?
    Given up on live, I'm becoming an emo.

Day Twenty-Nine...?
    Being an emo not working well, still trapped.

Day Fifty-Seven
    I give up. I promise, God, that if I get out of here, I swear I won't complain about anything, ever.

Hello!

Damn, I was looking forward to wangsting.

The... what?
    The AGE Monster Association! Can I have your name please?
    Ash. Ash Ketchum
    Great! Sign this please!
    O...kay...
    Congratulations! You're now a real monster breeder!
    ...what?
    Chairman Mardoc will be here s-
    I'm here! I'm here! Are you the new breeder?
    Yes...?
    Great! It's a pleasure to meet you, I'm Chairman of AGIMA, Mardoc. I'd like to thank you for joining our society, and would like to introduce you to your assistant, Holly!
    Hello, Ash.
    Holly was an assistant to a master breeder back i-
    Mr. Mardoc, please! That part of my life's over, I... I left it behind. I'd rather forget it.
    But-
    Please!
    Well, alright... anyway, Holly will be your assistant, and we hope you two will be great breeders! We've lent you a ranch that you can use, and we'll be taking a portion of your contest winnings until you pay us back, but other than that, you're pretty much free to do whatever. Ok?
    O...kay...
    Great! Go get your monster, you two!
    Where's he running off to so quickly?
    Well, he has to greet all the new breeders, of course! It must be tough.

Don't worry, I was confused at first too. Let's go get our first monster!
    Right...

I let Holly drag me away. I had no idea where we were, or if "Monster Breeding" was as perverted as it sounded, so I figured it'd be best to just follow her.

Who is it? Oh, let me guess, little couple who thought that instead of getting married and having kids, they'd get a monster?
    Actually-
    And you're going to just abandon the monster when you two split, am I right?
    But-
    Your kind makes me sick!
    But we've only just met! We're not dating, and getting a monster isn't preventing us from procreating! Jeez, dad, I told you to stop that! You've scared Ash!
    Hehe, sorry there Ash, didn't mean to scare you. Just having a bit of fun with my daughter. Anyway, here for your first monster, right?
    I nodded. Didn't really know what else to do.
    Right, just step on up to the keyboard, and give me the code on your magical, ancient tablet.
    I don't...
    Nobody does, just use whatever word pops into your head!

Might as well use my dad's name, it gives me a connection to home.

Is... is that normal?
    What, all those flying symbols? Absolutely.

It's nice to see what the universe thinks of my dad.
    Oh! What luck! I've heard Pixie are rare and powerful! Is this monster ok with you, Ash?
    I guess.
    Great! See you later dad!
    Don't have any unprotected sex!

So, Mardoc said he had a Ranch for us?

-able to raise tons of great monsters here! It's beautiful, isn't it?
    ...it's pretty nice...

Oh, hello! Are you the mail carrier?
    Yup, my name's Alyse, and I just wanted to stop by and say hi! I'm a big fan, Holly!
    I've got to go now, see you later!

That was random...
    Right. Well, I've got to give Pixie a few tests. You should rest, you don't look so well. We'll start training tomorrow.

...might as well make the most of this situation, guess I've got to read up on this breeding stuff.

---------

Hey, you! Do you want something you've done to be in this Let's Play? All you've got to do is write some of the literature that Ash will read! It could be anything from "Monster Breeding for Dummies" to "The Raising of Monsters for Those Who Lack Cranial Efficiency!" and anything in between. It can be as little or as much as you want, but you'll have a better chance if you describe the stats monsters have, POW, INT, ACC, SPD, DEF, and LIF. And it's not at all so I can learn what these things mean. Not at all.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's hillarious. I'm looking forward for this.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Looking good so far.
    Are you serious about being confuzzled?

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Looking good so far.
    Are you serious about being confuzzled?
    Nope, I know what they are.

Vaguely....

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, here goes:

"Monster breeding for suckers"

POW- This stands for Powder- specifically Gunpowder. You need to make certain your monsters have eaten enough of this before you make them fight.

INT- This stands for Internet. The reason for this is that you owe each of us one of these, and we're not leaving until we have it.

ACC- This one is Accusations. Once this meter reaches full, your monster will start randomly accusing you of things, whether you did them or not.

SPD- This is in fact a Spade. A very useful implement for cleaning up after your monster. Buy one- that we coincidentally found around the back of your property- now for the low, low price of 17 trillion gold pieces.

DEF- This one is a little more complicated, but we its not beyond you... It stands for Defenestration, the act of throwing people out of windows. This is a little friendly warning of what could happen if your monster loses its temper.

LIF- This one is rather easier. It stands for Lifeguard, and represents your monsters aspirations for its fully mature life.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Monster rearing for fun and defense against international communism:

So, Patriotic young citizen of one of our excellent western or eastern democracies and/or monarchies, you've decided to join one of our national defense organizations.

Spot on!

In today's tough times, we need that kind of "can do" spirit in our citizens more than ever. Of course, some of these good, patriotic youngsters are... a mite dim. Not you, I'm sure, but we all have a duty, and they need to know.

LIF: Health, vitality, and stick-toitiveness in secret missions to find and kill any dirty reds!

POW: Power is the ability to hurt dirty reds and insufficiently patriotic fellows. A must have for any true fan of pain and violence.

INT: Now, some may say this is just for sissies. They may say that eggheads are "squares". Well, King Anthony Stark of England was an egghead, and his robot armies formed the basis for modern capitalism! Intelligence lets a monster search out and find rare supplies in missions, kill more efficiently with dirty tactics and fire magic fireball!

ACC: Accuracy. You aren't that dumb, are you?

SPD: How fast your little monster can move. Which means how well it can avoid treachery and good natured roughhousing. Useful.

DEF: Resistance to pain. Simple, and, if you're using battleship steel like I advised in chapter seven, completely unnecessary.

Ah. Good to see those of you who were a bit dim catching up with the rest of us. Take a day or two to consider the first chapter, then move on to chapter two:

It isn't murder if the victim is a commie. Or you can convince the judge he is.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Barbarian in the Playground

Is Holly wanting to forget her previous experiences as a monser breeder assistant a referance to Mr. Swoon's LP of Monser Rancher?
    "Power is merely the faculty to act. It is a kinetic quantity few can grasp. The deaths of these fanatics costs me nothing. I can replace them. Because I never stop moving."

-Lucian~Fortuna Saga-

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by SITB View Post
    Is Holly wanting to forget her previous experiences as a monser breeder assistant a referance to Mr. Swoon's LP of Monser Rancher?
    Perhaps...
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2009-09-30 at 04:50 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SITB View Post
    Alternatively, it could be that Holly was one of the main characters in the Monster Rancher anime (which she was).
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

13. - Top - End - #73

NinjaGuy

Monster Breeding for People Dumb Enough to Buy This Book Winners

Greetings new breeder! Congratulations on getting your new monster(s)! When you first start raising one, there are a few things you must remember:
    Do not eat your monster.
    Do feed your monster once in a while. (Even if they don't eat as frequently as you)
    All monsters have stats, for simplicities sake, they are abbreviated for easiness to read. These stats are: POW, INT, ACC, SPD, DEF, and LIF; and they stand for the following:

POW: Stands for Prisoner Of War. Monsters frequently battle, as a result, the loser is the one who is beaten into submission. Now, have you ever heard the saying "Take no prisoners"? If not, it means to 'kill anyone you defeat'. Now, as interesting as death matches might sound, you wouldn't want your monster killed if it lost, would you? No, of course not! And neither would your opponent. So the other alternative is to catch the defeated monster! Of course, you don't want that to happen, so keep this stat high, so that your monster has the ability to not be captured if it loses after a match.

Int: Stands for Internal. Fun fact: All monsters start as hollow, but moving shells. The higher Int a monster has, the more gooey insides it develops, don't worry though, monsters won't become fat if they develop too much Int, it just means their insides are very well developed. A monster with low Int can be known to do rather 'lesser than normal' things such as eating rocks to fill itself or talking to walls out of envy for their solidity.

Acc: Stands for Acceptance. The higher Acceptance stat a monster has, the more other monsters will accept it. You don't want your monster feeling lonely and inadequate do you? Sure, in battles, you might think it doesn't matter if the monsters don't like each other, it shouldn't matter; but it does! How is your monster supposed to land the winning blow if your opponent won't go near it because they think your monster is a weirdo? Lots of Acceptance means lots of self esteem for your monster. A must have stat!

SPD: Stands for Solar Physics Division. Yes, this is as complicated as it sounds! However, we'll make sure to make it easier to understand. Now, you've realized that your monster eats less than you by now, correct? Did you ever wonder why? It's because monsters get most of their energy from the sun. The more SPD a monster has, the more energy it well have; however, don't confuse this with eating frequency, a monster with high SPD still has to eat as often as a monster with low SPD; the one with high SPD will just be much more lively, and nobody wants a lazy monster!

DEF: Stands for Definitely! Are you sure your monster's a monster? Are you DEFINITELY sure? Well, your monster isn't!!! As strange as this might sound, monsters start their life out thinking they are people. They have to be trained to realize that they are monsters. Now you might ask yourself what's wrong with thinking they're people, but after they start wearing your clothes, and sleeping in your bed, you might want to reconsider the situation (especially if you own only 1 set of clothes!)

LIF: Stands for Leukemia Inhibitory Factor. Another very confusing and complicated abbrivation! We'll save you from trying to look it up on wikipedia; LIF is a protein in cells that affects cell growth and development. The more of these that a monster has, the more well developed it is on the cellular level. Now, don't confuse this with the INT (internal) stat, how solid a monster is and how healthy it is are two different things. For example, a wall is very solid, but isn't alive, so it would have no LIF, and jellyfish are not very solid, but are most definitely alive.

Now, we know that is a lot to take in; and you're welcome to frequently look back at this, but the key thing to remember is that the more of all these stats a monster has, the better it will be over all. Now, yes; many monsters specialize in one stat, this is a fact many breeders rely on, as when a monster trains one or a few stats, these stronger stats have on occasion been known to compensate for the lesser stats. (Much like how a blind person has better hearing than someone who can see. And no, we are not afraid of writing that, be cause what are the odds a blind person will read this? Haha on that one, am I right?)

Just keep all this in mind, and also remember to love your monster (unless it turns out so freakishly ugly, you just want to kill it to put it out of it's misery). Happy Monster Breeding!
    Last edited by Crossblade; 2009-09-30 at 05:45 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74

(Woo, bandwagon jumping!)

Introduction to monster ranching

So you want to know how to ranch some monsters? Well it's quite simple. All you need to train you monsters. You might think your monster need food, rest, and love. You think wrong. All you need to do is train your monster until it becomes a killing machine. That is the purpose of these monsters. A trainer’s job is to make sure your monster can fight. You need to know what areas to train your monsters in. These are the areas.

POW: Pow is the ability to create 1960s special effects when your monster hits another monster. The higher the skill the more dynamic and big the special effect balloon will be. Amaze your opponent when your monster Pow! Wham! Bham! them better then Adam West ever could.

INT: Int stands for inter national tellegence. It stands for the knowledge your monster knows about other cultures and how well they under stand their own spirituality and the common humanity that we all share. A completely useless stat.

ACC: Acc stands for acceleration. It dictates how well your monster can accelerate. With a high acceleration skill, you monster can turn into a motorcycle called a "moncycle" that you can ride and challenge people to children’s card games on.

SPD: Spd Stands for Standard perspiration disposition. The higher your spd, the more your monster enjoys a good sweat. Their own sweat, someone else sweat, my sweat. A healthy appreciation for sweat is good way to get them working harder, if only for the runny rush.

DEF: Def stands for defense against failure. The higher their DEF the least likely they will fail and bring shame upon themselves and you. One could say that a monster with high DEF knows "How to play"

LIF: Lif stands for Love if folly. LIF stands for the love (Platonic or otherwise) between the trainer and the monster. High Lif is illegal in most countries, and if you are caught with a high Lif score, mon protective services will be called. Your mon and your License will be forever taken away from you, you sicko.

15. - Top - End - #75

Wow, you all want Ash to fail miserably, don't you?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: It Begins! Again!

Monsters for Retards.

Hello, my special readers. And I mean "special" like the way OJ was innocent. Your a 'Tard. Look it is cool; lots of people are. Likely your dad and mom are.
    Look, we know you can't read. But just in case and since I have to due this stupid court order: I'll tell you what you need to know.

First, Monsters have a few stats. POW, INT, ACC, SPD, DEF, and LIF.
    We will use the acronym PLAIDS for the group name. PLAIDS are the most important thing you will ever learn... yes, more than the meaning of life in the real world.
    More than how to ask out that hot chick you got that crush on. Yes, I mean without her turning you down, of course.

Power: You deal damage if you hit someone. This is the power of that blow.
    You an break a barrier with power and it provideds a defense a bit vs. power based attacks.

Life: You need this. You need to get one, but I kid. It describes how much health the creature has. So if someone punches the monster it can take a certain number. Like 10 -5= 5 (look you learned math, yay).
    As long as you have more than 0, you won't lose the monster to death.
    But Life has an additional ability. You cango on "journeys" called expeditions-life costs points to do things on these journeys like searching a building is 10, breaking a barrier is 5, etc.
    They are really low, but they might add up.

Accuracy: Okay, they called it skill, but we know it as accuracy. I guess the they couldn't spell accuracy (it has 3 c's and all). So the higher number you got more likely you will hit the foe.

INTELLIGENCE: Int raises damage for Int-based attacks. It defenses against Int-based attacks as well.
    Basically, the smarter the monster the less "smart" magic hurts. Don't ask me how that makes sense, same way bees can fly.
    More smarter monsters can search better.

DEFENSE: Defense lowers damage recieved to your life.

SPEED: Speed is counter to Accuracy. As accuracy is hitting ability, speed is dodging ability. So higher speed = take less accurate to be hit.

Oh and I guess I'll tell you a bit about food.

Edibles: You are what you eat.
    Monsters don't eat every day. They eat at beginning of month at a farm.
    Monsters are very picky about what you feed them. I would be too if I only ate once a month. They "cheer" if fed yummy food, but "yuck" if un-yummy food.

Almost everyone loves milk at beggining of life.

Food can reduce stress, but can spoil the monster.

Candy: You can give monsters candy! Similar benefits as food.Main difference you can buy from stores candy.

Drugs:
    Look, you want a druggie monster, don't you?
    You sick bastard.
    I'm kidding, everyone likes a little booze. Wait, don't let my parole officer read that part. Drugs are bad...
    Anyway, drugs all raise monsters' stats, or give them bonuses in some of their abilities, either in or out of battle.
    But drugs lower your life span just like ciggerates in real life.

Greed:
    Sometimes monsters give you stuff. This is cool. It is like Christmas all over again. Or Krazy Kwanza if you're into that. I don't judge.

But sometimes they want stuff too. They get greedy. You likely trained them wrong.
    Remember kids taking is better than recieving. Stealing is only wrong if you get caught. Only losers get caught: don't be a loser.

You'll read more about how you train your monsters with mission drills, resting, and battle hints next month when you buy the next Magazine. Later, stay a 'Tard.

17. - Top - End - #77

Default The First

"POW- This stands for Powder- specifically Gunpowder. You need to make certain your monsters have eaten enough of this before you make them fight."

Uh-huh... next book.

"INT: Now, some may say this is just for sissies. They may say that eggheads are "squares". Well, King Anthony Stark of England was an egghead, and his robot armies formed the basis for modern capitalism! Intelligence lets a monster search out and find rare supplies in missions, kill more efficiently with dirty tactics and fire magic fireball!"

Er... not as bad as the first, I suppose, but...

"Acc: Stands for Acceptance. The higher Acceptance stat a monster has, the more other monsters will accept it. You don't want your monster feeling lonely and inadequate do you? Sure, in battles, you might think it doesn't matter if the monsters don't like each other, it shouldn't matter; but it does! How is your monster supposed to land the winning blow if your opponent won't go near it because they think your monster is a weirdo? Lots of Acceptance means lots of self esteem for your monster. A must have stat!"

...Do these people think I'm stupid?

"LIF: Lif stands for Love if folly. LIF stands for the love (Platonic or otherwise) between the trainer and the monster. High Lif is illegal in most countries, and if you are caught with a high Lif score, mon protective services will be called. Your mon and your License will be forever taken away from you, you sicko."

WHAT IS WITH THESE BOOKS?!

: Good morning, angry.
    *Sigh* Good morning, Holly. Did you know none of these books taught me anything useful?
    : Well, it's a good thing you don't need to learn anything, right?
    : Anyway, I finished the tests on Pixie.

: As you can see, she has a high Intelligence, Accuracy, and Speed. She's quick on her feet and with her magic, but she's a glass cannon.
    Right, so what do you suggest?
    : Me?
    Well of course, you know more than I do.

: Well... I'd suggest training her in her strengths. She won't be able to take a hit, but she won't need to, because they'll be down before they get the chance.
    And we do this by...?
    : I'd suggest Meditation to start.

That doesn't really look like meditation...
    : Well, her Intelligence still went up, regardless.
    So what now?

: Target practice?
    Sounds good to me.

So... she kicks a rock into a target?
    : Right.
    And... that doesn't make her stronger?
    : I don't understand it either.
    Right, let's see her do it again.

: Pixie didn't do the exercise right.
    That's not good...
    : Do... do you want to scold her?
    I guess I should... she's young, and we don't want her training incorrectly, right? Pixie... come here?
    : She looks really sorry...
    ...I guess that's scolding enough. Just do it right next time, ok Pixie?
    : I think we should let Pixie rest; she's had a tough month.
    Right.

----

: Oh, hello Aroma. Long time no see!
    : I know! I heard you came here to AGIMA, so I had to come visit! We have so much catching up to do!
    : ...yay...
    : First of all, why did you leave? You had it all! Money, fame, a powerful monster...
    : So... please tell me that isn't Zest...
    : In the flesh, and I must say, you're looking lovely, as always, Holly.
    : Not a chance, Zest.
    : Right, so you got a new monster?
    : Of course!
    : How about a practice battle? To help it get better?
    : I don't know, she's pretty young...
    It's just a practice battle, though, right? I think it might be good for her, as long as their monster goes easy.
    : Yeah, b-
    : Well hello... I don't think we've met... I'm Aroma... hehe...
    ...hello?
    :
    ...well then, shall we battle?

It didn't look to good for Pixie, their monster was really strong, but they'd agreed to go easy, so I hoped it would be okay.

Pixie certainly didn't seem intimidated by the other monster.

I knew I'd made a grave mistake when the other monster jumped at Pixie and slashed at her.

She flipped backwards and kicked it in the face, which was pretty cool...

But the other monster simply jumped to the side and threw a "Smoke Bomb" at her.

And like that, it was over. I carefully pulled Pixie up.
    I'm sorry Pixie, I thought they'd go easy on you...
    : That WAS going easy. And with our weakest monster.
    ...wow... we've got a lot of training to do, don't we, Pixie?
    : You sure do. C'mon Holly, ditch the zero and get with the hero.
    : Go to hell Zest.
    : We have to go now, Holly. Hope we can meet up again later, we still need to catch up.
    : And WE have some catching up to do too...
    : Right... I look forward to it...
    : Bye, Holly! Bye...
    Ash.
    : Bye Ash...

----
    : Pixie's awake.
    Thanks, Holly.

Pixie? I'm sorry you got hurt, I didn't think that they'd be that powerful when they were holding back. I hope you don't hate me.

Of course I don't! I want revenge on that bastard!
    Hey, watch your mouth young la- you talk!?!
    Pixie?
    I... okay then...
    : So, back to training?
    Pixie!
    What should we train her in, then?

: I was thinking of Riddle training, it'd help her Intelligence and her Accuracy.
    Sounds good.

Ermm....
    Pixie?

You gotta try harder, Pixie! I know you can do it!
    : Um, Ash?
    Yes?
    : We...

: We got an invitation to the Official Tourney. I don't think Pixie's ready, but she is your monster, so it's your decision.

----
    Well? More failure training, or failure in a tournament?

And if training, training in what?

18. - Top - End - #78

You should definitely skip the tournament. When you lose in a tournament doesn't something bad happen? You should definitely get a little more lif and raise your main stats.
    Last edited by Raroy; 2009-10-03 at 04:22 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

You should train her in sidestep. Building up her evading skills might be the best.

Although, a tournament would be cool.
    Can you get any Candy! They improve stuff. Go to city and buy candy or Milk.

Monsters love milk.
    Then go to Ranch and feed her.

20. - Top - End - #80

NinjaGuy

Skip tournament, train Riddle, then anything that puts up Life and Speed.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

I read through the first part and this one, and I must say it's a very good story ^^ unfortunately I don't know anything about this game, but I say, skip the challenge and train your fairy! In the name of Chernobyl!
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    I read through the first part and this one, and I must say it's a very good story ^^ unfortunately I don't know anything about this game, but I say, skip the challenge and train your fairy! In the name of Chernobyl!
    How dare you insinuate that I drop Pixie? Do you know how many passwords I had to go through to get one?

I don't plan on dropping any monsters, because it just doesn't seem like Ash would do.

Also, sorry I haven't updated since the weekend, family tree is killing me.

I'll have an update by Thursday at the latest. VERY latest.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, there shows how much I know about the game. Pixie, fairy, bleh.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

24. - Top - End - #84

Default Not Quite Ready

I don't think Pixie's ready. No offense, Pixie.
    : You do know that she can't speak, right?
    No, no I do not.
    : ...
    Back to training?
    : Right. Let's hope Pixie does better with her exercises.

That... LOOKS better.

Right, better. Let's see if she can keep this up!

: I think she's a bit too tired.
    Right, rest first, then keep training.

I really like these new results.
    : I think Pixie gained a new trait!
    Is that good?
    : Well, that depends on what one it is. Let me do a bit of testing...

--

: Yes, it's very good!

And the training results are getting better so much quicker! I'm proud of you Pixie! What do you think we should do now?
    : I think we should work on Speed and Accuracy.
    Right, back to having her hit boulders at targets.

Good. How do we train for Speed?

: We drop boulders on her, and have her dodge them.
    Isn't... isn't that a bit dangerous.
    : I guess, but I don't know any other way of doing it.

Well, it seems to be working anyway.
    : Hey, Ash... I know it's only been a few months since the last battle, but I think Pixie's really improved! It's not a major tournament or anything, just a small-time event, but it'll help get our name out there!

I dunno...

----
    I don't know how Mr. Swoon did it. Monster Rancher is hard to Let's Play... I imagine most of the updates will be like this, short, and mostly training.

Anyway, tournament, yes or no? Speed, Intelligence, and Accuracy are all up one level.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

We trained and got stronger.
    I think we have chance. I say go for it. What is the worst that can happen?
    She has low DEF, but as long as she dodges well we can win.

Go, Chernobyl! (I mean Pixie)

26. - Top - End - #86

NinjaGuy

Swoon did it by giving personalities to his monsters, and making the protagonist's mental stability questionable. You're on the right track when you made the Pixie comment about being blood thirsty.

As for choices... it would depend on how much money we have now for the tournament. If the money is needed (say... if it's less than 9400 now -the tournament's reward) go for it. Otherwise, if there's plenty of money now, keep training. First Acc then Speed, then Int, int, int, int, int, etc.

27. - Top - End - #87

I say do the tournament and state save a lot, and get really lucky, and make run on sentences. The run on sentences are the most important here.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Go ahead. Enter the tornament! Get some cash!

And on an alternative note, I seem to recall that you can replace tutor monsters. If Pixie has higher stats then one of the tutors, replace them with her and lets go grab another.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

29. - Top - End - #89

Default The First Tournament

Well... they do always say that you learn more from doing... I suppose it couldn't hurt to enter Pixie, right?
    : Right, but... Pixie isn't really that loyal, she might not listen to your commands.
    That's ok, she's probably a better fighter than I am.

Why's it called the Ri-
    : Many years ago, a great dragon rose from the land and ascended into the heavens. In memory of his journey, strong breeders have gathered here to test their strength!
    How does that make any sense?
    : Nobody knows, we simply smile and nod.

Right... so there's only three other competitors? That's not that many, considering how many people are in the stands...
    : I have Pixie's first opponent's stats, compared to ours.

That... looks bad...
    : It could be worse.

Right, so the battle started. Pixie stared at the weird dog octopus thing in front of her. She looked a bit disgusted. She said something to it, and it got really pissed.

She giggled as the octopus's weird magical snot missed, and she countered with a small blast of energy.

The... thing... was pissed, and attacked back with its pom-pom.
    What the hell is that thing doing?
    : I wish I could tell you.

Pixie wasn't really quick enough to dodge the attack, but as she was sent flying backwards, she did manage to kick the thing in its face.

Sadly, it wasn't enough. Pixie lost the battle.
    It's ok, Pixie. We still have two battles left, and this IS your first tournament.
    I WILL KILL THEM ALL!!
    Er...
    Pixie?
    Never mind...

The next battle was against a... green stuffed cat...
    This goddammed world...
    : What was that?
    Nothing.

The doll wasted no time, instantly jumping at Pixie with elongated claws.

But our Pixie's too good to fall for that! She jumped back and used her signature energy blast.

The doll was sent flying, but she didn't stop there.

She quickly kicked it up into the air.

And with that, the match was over; our first victory.

We really didn't talk much until the next battle, against a rapping mole...

Pixie tried her energy attack again, but the mole simply dug underground and popped up underneath her.

...I... I don't... what?!

And like that it was over.
    Don't worry Pixie, it was your first tournament, and you're still young. We'll crush them next time, alright?

----

So what now?

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Check her stats. Is her INT higher then the instructor's?
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28