Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121

Default Re: The Story of Ash, Chapter 2 - Let's Play Monster Rancher Advance 2!

Quote Originally Posted by banthesun View Post
    Exploit save states! Go for it!
    Nah, I think I'll let the chips fall as they will.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Do eet! Go for the gold!

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

I was playing though the game with a wolf and even I couldn't rank up in the first year. It's difficult, but if you pull it off as early as you can, you can reap all the rewards that come with it. Whatever they may be.

4. - Top - End - #124

Default Victory Tastes So Sweet, First Victories Even More So

I don't know... didn't she just lose in a tournament?
    : Yeah, bu-
    And this tournament is going to be against the best in this level of the league, too, right? I'm not sure Pixie can do it.
    : Ash, do you remember when I said I'd tell you when I thought Pixie was ready? I think she's ready now.
    But... she just...
    : You have to trust me Ash. Relationships like ours rely completely on trust.
    You mean professional relationships? Aren't professionals always stabbing each other in the back.
    : Exactly my point! If we can't trust each other, how can we be sure we won't betray each other?
    ...ok. We'll enter. You ready Pixie?
    There will be blood!
    ...right. Do your best.

----

I couldn't believe she talked me into it. This was the Official Tournament.

Actually, I'm a bit confused now. Does that mean the others weren't official? Did we wasted our entry fees? Oh well. Official sounded difficult. I just hoped Pixie wouldn't be slaughtered.

: Hello everyone, and welcome to the Official Rank E Tournament. As you all know, the winner of this tournament will proceed to the next rank: D. The best of Rank E have come from all over AGIMA, so we're sure to see some exciting battles!

The best... trust... I just need to trust...

While I was busy trying to keep myself from freaking out over this, Pixie and Holly looked at their first opponent's stats. Turns out it was that Weird Lizard Snake thing that Pixie lost to in the last tournament.

That loss doesn't seem as bad anymore.

Pixie seemed really pissed. Understandable for her, I guess, since she seems to be so bloodthirsty. I'm sure remembered their last encounter. She hardly waited for the starting bell before firing her attack off.

I think she was charging it up before the fight even started.

When it hit "Pain Kill", the entire stadium was engulfed in a flash of light.

It faded quickly, but Pain Kill was down. That was the strongest attack I'd seen from Pixie until that point. I was awe-struck.

Maybe Pixie did have a chance to win this thing.

The next battle was up pretty quickly. I looked at the mugshot, and noticed that it was another Pixie.

This odd Blue Pixie seemed to be just as bloodthirsty as our Pixie. I didn't think that was possible.

"Iris" started the battle off with a kick to Pixie's face.

Pixie countered with her energy attack (I really need a better name for that. It comes up so often) and a slap.

All I have to say is "daaaaaaaaaaaamn". It's like Pixie gained about 7 levels in the last tournament.

Our next opponent was Marco, the Red Mocchi.

It didn't really look too tough compared to the other two opponents we'd faced already. In fact, it didn't even look that interested in fighting. I was being cautiously optimistic.

Huge mistake. Marco jumped at Pixie, tossing around flow petals. I laughed until I saw how fast they moved, and how much they hurt Pixie.

She ran up to Marco, a psychotic gleam in her eye. She kicked him into the air, and shot him with an energy blast, just like in that TV show. What was it called... Dinosaur Box A? I dunno, I never payed much attention to it.

The up-to-that-point epicness of the fight was ruined when it devolved into a slap fight.

I was surprised that the clock ran out. If Pixie had just kicked him again instead of getting into a slap fight, she'd have won.

But she still won. It wasn't that close either, but it still worried me a bit.

Her next opponent was a Red and Blue eye thing. I just don't get this world.

Before the bell even rang, the eye started to teleport around the arena. After checking the rules, the officials decided that since it wasn't attacking, no rule was broken.

Pixie interrupted it with an attack. It struck a dramatic pose and did that weird thing they do in movie where a scene is put transparently over another. I don't know how, but I'll be damned if it wasn't awesome.

But then it attacked Pixie with its "tail".

That thing was strong. I was a bit disappointed, but since Pixie had already done better than I thought she would, it wasn't that bad.

The final match arrived.

Against an awesome lobster thing.

I wish I had one.

You could feel the tension as the lobster let out a screech and clamped onto Pixie's arm with its claws.

Pixie was able to break out, though. Lucky.

The Lobster and Pixie met in the center of the battlefield, their fists (or claw and hand, whatever) clashed, and they stood still for a few second, glaring at each other.

Of course Pixie was the one to break the stalemate. Right before the bell, she brought her foot up into the lobster's carapace. It slid backwards from the blow, and tried to charge...

...but the bell rang. It stopped on a dime, and everyone looked at the judges.

They declared Pixie the winner. There was a lot of cheering in the stand, and I smiled. Pixie had held her own, she had gone up against the best.
    : I... can't believe it...
    Me neither! She actually held her own against THE BEST!
    : Held... her own? Ash, look at the scoreboard!

Holy... sh-
    : For her victory, Pixie will be sent up to Rank D! Let's all wish her luck in the next level!

My god... you won, Pixie!
    Pixie!

If I weren't so happy, I'd ask how the hell they measure fame, but she won!

Needless to say, there was a party. Several, actually. We all had a lot of fun, but I couldn't seem to find Pixie for half the night. Or Zest, for that matter. (Who invited himself and didn't even bring a gift, that bastard).

We let Pixie have a nice break. When we decided to start up her training again, it was Spring. It hadn't registered with me yet, but that was my first year in that universe. It felt like a month or so at most.

----
    I'm as surprised as Ash, people. Believe it or not, I didn't use a single savestate during the tourney. But yeah, there it is; Ash's first year.

So, playgrounders... what now?
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

5. - Top - End - #125

Default Re: Victory Tastes So Sweet, First Victories Even More So

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    So, playgrounders... what now?
    Now we crush all opposition under our boot!

Um...

...Pixie?

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

I... Don't... Know...
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

7. - Top - End - #127

awesome!
    Quote Of The Week Whenever I Feel Like Updating It (last updated 1/17/12)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase
    That guy was badass! He was like, "Oh! Oh, you're gonna try to Chuck Norris me, I'll just Chuck Norris you!" Unfortunately, I am the best Chuck Norris since Chuck Norris.
    Which is saying something, considering that Chuck Norris... was Chuck Norris.

8. - Top - End - #128

Note to self: audience seems to enjoy victories more than defeat...

9. - Top - End - #129

Oh yeah.
    The up-to-that-point epicness of the fight was ruined when it devolved into a slap fight.
    Nice.
    Quote Of The Week Whenever I Feel Like Updating It (last updated 1/17/12)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase
    That guy was badass! He was like, "Oh! Oh, you're gonna try to Chuck Norris me, I'll just Chuck Norris you!" Unfortunately, I am the best Chuck Norris since Chuck Norris.
    Which is saying something, considering that Chuck Norris... was Chuck Norris.

10. - Top - End - #130

NinjaGuy

Grats! So much for whomever it was saying you can't get to D rank with the first monster!

And now... we train more! Lif, Int, Int!
    (Unless there are other options like adventuring?)

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

I love how Pixie B-slaps them. Epic chick fight for the win!

12. - Top - End - #132
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

How about Haadoken? For the ray naming thing that is.

13. - Top - End - #133

NinjaGuy

Name the kick/slap:

Me-doken!

14. - Top - End - #134

Default And Defeats Taste Bitter

Oh god, the sun... my eyes...
    : Hello Ash.
    Don't talk so loudly...
    : ...did you happen to drink the punch last night?
    Yeah, why?
    : Oh, no reason...

Too loud...
    : Hi Ayase. What's up?
    : Oh, nothing much. I just came here to deliver your official certificate of officialness, officially making you official Rank D ranchers.
    : Di-
    : Yes, I'm actually required to say that.
    Stop shouting...
    : What's wrong with you, Ash? Have a bit too much of that punch last night?
    How did you know?
    : It was pretty obvious last night when you started hitting on everyone that wasn't a guy.
    I what!?
    : Sorry Ash, it's true. It was pretty funny to listen to, actually. I meant to tell you it was spiked, but I was a bit too late.
    : Hmph, how pathetic. I come to see the newest competition in the business, and I find a hungover teenager and his little girlfriend.
    Hey! It's not my fault I'm hungover!
    : And I'm not his girlfriend!
    : You're all so juvenile. I can't believe you managed to proceed to the D rank.
    We're juvenile? You're the one using the 'girlfriend' insult! Ow, my head...
    : This arguing is getting us nowhere. Let's simply fight to settle this! Apharm, come!
    Huh?

What?

What?!

WHAT?!
    : Hmm... I must admit that your Monster is incredibly courageous. Most can't even bring themselves to try to fight.
    It's really more blood thirst than courage.
    : Regardless, you have potential, however juvenile you may be.

: When ever you feel as if you wish to quit, look at the orb and remember this fight. It will push you onwards. We're rivals now; I want a real battle in the future. Remember that!
    : Who the hell do you think you are talking to them like that?!
    : You'd best be careful, mail carrier, lest you lose your job. ...my name is Cantune. Remember it well, because I won't tell you again.
    : So he's Cantune...
    : Have you heard of him before or something?
    : I have, yes. He's supposedly been going around challenging ranches he deems 'worthy'. He's been a danger, too.
    : Wow, I can't believe we hadn't heard about him before now!
    : It doesn't surprise me. They've been trying to cover it up. The only reason I know is that you hear a lot when you deliver mail to pretty much everyone. Anyway, I've got to get going. Make sure Pixie's ok, and make sure you get revenge on him!
    See ya, Ayase.

C'mon, Pixie, you need to rest... And so do I, for that matter...

----
    : Good morning, Ash. How's your head?
    Better now, thanks. Have you seen Pixie?
    : Yeah, actually...

I was surprised to learn that before even Holly woke up, Pixie had come out here to meditate. I knew it was good for training her Intelligence, but I had no idea that she could actually do it herself. The few times we had her meditate, it was a battle to convince her to do so, but her she was, meditating by her own will.

She meditated for a month straight, day and night, hardly stopping. It was obvious that the battle had affected her.

She even meditated the entire day on her birthday. She hardly even acknowledged it. All of a sudden, it was like Pixie wasn't even there.

: Hello, I'm Holly, and this is Ash. This is our ranch.
    : Oh thank god. I'm Gavin, and my monster and I were out on an expedition. We were attacked by a monster, and now we need a place to rest. Could we stay here for a few days?
    I dunno... you aren't going to challenge us to a fight or anything, right?
    : Not at all!
    Ok then. I guess you could stay for a bit. I'm going to go tell Pixie so she doesn't murder you.

--

Pixie was apparently finished with her meditation, and was busy dodging more rocks.

It's times like these I wonder where the rocks are coming from, and who's dropping them.
    ----
    : Ash, Holly? Thanks for letting us stay here, it means a lot.
    : Think nothing of us, we couldn't just let you wander around exhausted!
    : Still, I feel like I owe you something. I couldn't help but notice your Pixie training, and I just wanted to tell you that my monsters are bred to be trainers. If you're in need of one, feel free to go downtown and hire my Golem, Strong. But hey, I gotta get going, so see ya around.
    Thanks, Galvin.
    ----

We ended up hiring Strong to cover the jobs Masimaro wasn't already covering; the ones Pixie wouldn't be training in. Still, if we ever got another monster who was more of a brute, Strong would come in handy.

We got completely owned in a battle, Pixie started training herself and ignoring everyone else, and we made a new friend. And Spring wasn't even over yet.
    I have a feeling this is going to be an eventful year.
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2009-11-09 at 06:00 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135

Three hundred intelligence in a year. Next year you should get it up to six hundred. Also, you need more health and defense. You need to survive more then three hits.

I don't want to sound demanding. I just want you know my expectations so you can crash them into the ground. Congratulations on getting D rank so soon, you put me to shame.
    Last edited by Raroy; 2009-11-08 at 06:59 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by Raroy View Post
    I just want you know my expectations so you can crash them into the ground.
    Is that... "Wow, you reached 999 in all stats and beat the game before summer!" crashed into the ground, or "You... you LOST stats?" crashed into the ground.

Because that second one is more likely.

17. - Top - End - #137

The second one, of course.

Feed her lots of candy and have her rest for the rest of her lifespan.

18. - Top - End - #138

The second one, of course.

Feed her lots of candy and have her rest for the rest of her lifespan.
    Hello Pixie, how are you doing?
    Eating candy.
    OH GOD DON'T KILL M- wait what?
    Yes, my improved Intelligence has made me realize that fighting is not the right way. I shall be eating candy for the rest of my life.
    ...I don't know if you were more insane before or now.

19. - Top - End - #139

Sounds like a good as reason as any to retire. But aren't personal realizations more of a wisdom thing then a intellectual thing? It takes perspective to redefine your path in life....

So, how do you like the cheap banter in your thread keeping things up from update to update?

20. - Top - End - #140

NinjaGuy

Did you even have a choice to fight that visitor? That was brutal! :(

Also, you had Holly and Ayasa say they weren't Ash's BOYFRIEND, when it should be 'girlfriend'. Unless there's something I'm missing. ;p

21. - Top - End - #141

There are no girls in the monster rancher universe, only extremely pretty men. But yes, change it before more people point it out.

22. - Top - End - #142

So, how do you like the cheap banter in your thread keeping things up from update to update?
    I rather like the banter. It keeps me motivated. It shows that people care.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossblade View Post
    Also, you had Holly and Ayasa say they weren't Ash's BOYFRIEND, when it should be 'girlfriend'. Unless there's something I'm missing. ;p
    Sorry, Chowder was on when I wrote this update.

"I'm not your boyfriend!" tends to get stuck in your head.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

The banter annoys me. I'm all like: "Yay! New update!" and then I get dissapointed...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

24. - Top - End - #144

Quote Originally Posted by banthesun View Post
    The banter annoys me. I'm all like: "Yay! New update!" and then I get dissapointed...
    Yeah, I hate it when that happens.

In other threads, that is, since I can't get disappointed like that here.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Random Banter.

Ok, what are we supposed to be deciding? Because I really likes me some Glass Railgun

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Demento View Post
    Random Banter.

Ok, what are we supposed to be deciding? Because I really likes me some Glass Railgun
    Well, I didn't really have any decisions I needed to make. have made for me.

I guess you could choose what stats to focus on with Pixie's obsessive compulsive training.
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2009-11-09 at 05:01 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147

NinjaGuy

Get Lif to 120, Def to 50. At the very least!

28. - Top - End - #148

Default Hope You Get the Reference

Happy Veteran's Day, everyone!

Or whatever it is you call it in your country.

No school = bored = Let's Play!
    ----

Holly, I'm a bit worried. It's been a few months since Pixie started her OCD training, and she's still at it.
    : don't worry Ash, she's just going through a weird phase in her life.
    Great, more Monster Puberty...

That'd be us, yes. Who are you?
    : I'm Hunter, and you're a jackass! Everybody's talking about how you defeated the Breeder who was going around and challenging everyone-
    : Canute?
    : I don't really care what his name is, all I care about is that now they're calling you the Rookie extraordinaire! I was supposed to be that! It's not fair!
    Are you just going to sit here and complain about it? That's really not the way to become the best, you know.
    : Of course that's not what I'm going to do, I'm not an idiot! I simply have to beat you, then they'll all be praising me! So come on, let's fight, right now! Get your monster!
    I dunno, Pixie's bee-
    Pixie.
    Holy crap, Pixie, don't sneak up on me!
    : This is great! Come on, Huego!
    As Pixie yawned and stretched her muscles relaxedly, a Tiger jumped out of a small cove of trees we had and started growling.
    Dude, what is your monster doing hiding on our ranch?
    : That doesn't matter! Get ready to fight!

That Tiger, Huego, was growling and snarling at Pixie, its eyes filled with the bloodthirst Pixie usually had. The scariest part was that Pixie didn't have it. She was just sort of standing there, sizing up Tiger.

: I'll be the judge, if we need one.

The battle started, and Huego launched itself at Pixie.

She calmly stepped to the side, and let off a quick flurry of attacks.

Huego launched a large field of lightning from his horns, which Pixie couldn't dodge in time.

But she shrugged off the attack, and fired of an energy attack.

Huego was stunned, swaggering in place. She finished it off with a light tap to Huego's jaw.

And he collapsed. Pixie hadn't missed a blow, and Huego only hit her by practically frying the entire field. This new, calm, computing Pixie was terrifying.
    : I... I just... I'll beat you in official tournament, just you see!
    : ...what a loser.
    I know. Hey, Pixie, that was a great battle. I didn't th-

...I'm worried again.
    ----
    : Hey guys.
    : Hi, Gavin. How're you doing?
    : Pretty good... pretty good. I was going with one of my new monsters, to train, right? And I figured I'd stop by and say hi, but on the way, I found this guy creeping around.

: Mr. Karnab?!
    Mr. Karnab?
    : Got a smarter rancher to work for this time, I see. At least this one isn't calling me Santa.
    : What are you doing here, Mr. Karnab?
    Who is Mr. Karnab?
    : Don't interrupt boy. I'm the head of the FIMBA region, where Holly once hailed from. Back then, I'd often hire her, and the rancher she worked for, to help me on... expeditions.
    : Forget it, I'm not helping you again.

: Oh, come on, the Tapota region is completely safe! I'd take my kids there, even!
    What's going on?!
    : Do you enjoy working for impatient people, Holly? I used to take Holly out to ruins and such to search for old idols and treasures. She's find a lot of them out there, and anything she found, she'd be allowed to keep. I'm sure they were a huge help with raising her monsters.
    I don't get it, Holly, why don't you want to go? I don't see a downfall.
    : ...
    : Great, so you'll come?

----
    Yea, or nay?
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2009-11-11 at 01:05 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Banned

Yay. And it's funny that this is the same Hooly from Mr. Swoon's ranch

30. - Top - End - #150

Of course! Why wound't you want to show off a new game mechainc?