Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151

Default Re: The Story of Ash, Chapter 2 - Let's Play Monster Rancher Advance 2!

Because next week is the official tournament, and if we do this, we'll miss it.

Wait, we're not ready, so why did I say that?
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    Because next week is the official tournament, and if we do this, we'll miss it.

Wait, we're not ready, so why did I say that?
    You did pretty well in the last tournament and pixie did awesome in that last battle. I think Pixie has a chance to win the next tournament.

On the other hand I want to see what this expedition thingie is like.
    Santa Mr. Karnab said that you can find stuff that can help your monsters; is that stuff one-use things or can they be useful to future monsters as well? if the latter I say you go on the expedition.

3. - Top - End - #153

Quote Originally Posted by Fostire View Post
    On the other hand I want to see what this expedition thingie is like.
    Santa Mr. Karnab said that you can find stuff that can help your monsters; is that stuff one-use things or can they be useful to future monsters as well? if the latter I say you go on the expedition.
    Well, I know that on my first playthrough, I almost exclusively found Mint Leaves...

So many mint leaves...

I think for the most part it's one-use stuff, though.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

4. - Top - End - #154

Well, I know that on my first playthrough, I almost exclusively found Mint Leaves...

So many mint leaves...

I think for the most part it's one-use stuff, though.
    What are mint leaves for?

5. - Top - End - #155

I can't remember exactly, but I think they decreased stress.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

since finding this thread, I've aquired this game for myself, and after... 3 IG years?... I've found the mechanics fasinating. I'd say, explore, for those soulmate things... or have you even reached that point, yet?
    I'd say skip the next 2 official championships, and do the third one after this point, with another, smaller championship in between. if you can do those soul-mate things, i'd explore, mostly, but if you can't, then i'd train... int and acc, of course.

Actually, i've been playing a Zuum, so I've been doing a lot of Ballanced training, but dumping int (still, like, 124), and partially deffence (264, maybe?). other than those two, speed, at about 367, would be my lowest stat. so, yah, obviosly different monsters have different ways to do this.

But back to my vote on exploring: Yeah!
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Do it! Go into the forest!
    KILL A SQUIRREL!!!

8. - Top - End - #158

Default Definitely not Indiana Jones

: Ash, I don't know about this...
    Holly, I trusted you with the tournament. Can't you trust me this one time? It's not like anything bad'll happen; he said it was perfectly safe.
    : And it is! Perfectly safe!
    : ...against my better judgment, I guess I'll go.
    : Great! Off we are!

----

I thought you said that it'd be safe. Tropical jungle that has all kinds of poisons and such doesn't seem that safe.
    : Safety is relative! I've been on adventures that would make Indiana Jones cringe in fear!
    Right... note to self: trust Holly more.

: You know, for abandoned ruins in the middle of a jungle, there seem to be a lot of well-kept paths.

: You were saying? Come on, let's try to move this!

: You all weren't trying hard enough!
    Says the supposed epic adventurer who decided to opt-out of pushing the boulder and instead "examine a rare butterfly".
    : Nevertheless, we shall find an alternate route!
    --
    : Hey, look! Some monoliths!

: Why, of course we should, you daft girl!
    : You so owe me, Ash. Oh look, we found something.

Y-you're kidding, right?! A mint candy in the middle of abandoned ruins?
    : It is an amazing discovery! Come now, we must return to town!

:

----
    : Hey, Ash. When we were passing through town on the way back, I heard rumors about those monoliths we found.
    Already?
    : Apparently those ruins weren't exactly new discoveries...
    Figures.
    : But yeah, they said that the monoliths have some hidden power locked in them. If we get a chance, we should go investigate them again.
    Without Karnab?
    : Oh god, yes!
    Ok then. Hey, Pixie, what do you think of that?

...Pixie?

That is IT! We're entering a tournament right now! I didn't exactly like the old Pixie, but this new Pixie is just weird!

-----

So yeah, sorry this update was kinda short. The ruins were a lot more lackluster than I remembered... an I remembered them as being pretty lackluster already.

I'm off to play the first game in the Mother series now.
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2009-11-15 at 01:20 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159

NinjaGuy

The only Monster Rancher I played was Monster Rancher 4. It seems WAY better than any other Monster Rancher Let's Play I've seen so far. In the jungles you actually had fight encounters! Made for much more exciting game play.

10. - Top - End - #160

Default It Doesn't Work

: Ash, I'm not so sure about this.
    I know we're even on the trust thing-
    : Actually, you owe me.
    ...that aside, just trust me. Pixie's been training long enough. It's getting creepy.
    : You make a strangely convincing argument.
    I know, that's how I passed Pokémon Trainer's School.
    : Pokémon... Tra-
    Err... nothing, you heard nothing.
    :
    C'mon, we have to go sign up for the tournament.

: Its beauty has been praised alongside Lake Ira. The legendary city, it is Carota. May you become legends in your own time!
    Is it just me, or are these explanations getting less sensible?
    : ...I 'unno...
    You okay, Holly?
    : Yeah, I'm fine.
    You sure?
    :
    ...okay then.

Putting aside Holly's bad mood for a moment, I decided to focus on getting Pixie back to normal what passed as normal for her.

The first fight was against an albino Hare named Martin. Odd name.

Martin started the fight by shouting at Pixie so loudly that you could actually see the sound waves. Luckily, nobody was deafened, and Pixie dodged the physical manifestation of it.

And attacked with her energy ray, right in Martin's open mouth.

One hit, he's down.

Final fight, already. Short tournament. I hoped this fight would get Pixie back.

Another big lobster thing, and dammit I still want one.

Most of the fight was spent with Pixie and the lobster just staring each other down.

About 6 seconds left, and Pixie launches herself at it. A quick slap, and the lobster stopped in its tracks. Pixie was wincing a bit, the lobster's carapace obviously hurt, but the lobster didn't manage to do anything; he was completely stunned. I think she hit a pressure point or something.

The judges rules Pixie the winner, but she was still the new, calculating Pixie.

We did good, didn't we?
    : I was talking to Pixie.
    Pixie!
    Shut up.

Now Pixie, I know th-

For god's sake, Pixie, it's raining out! What will it take to stop you from training like this?

11. - Top - End - #161
    Banned

Candy. Lots of Candy.

12. - Top - End - #162

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    Candy. Lots of Candy.
    Nah, that'd be way too simple. I like the idea I've already got.

It's going to be odd, to say the least.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

So, just to put two coppers into the wishing pond, maybe some WILD monsters, maybe in the jungle, will get her to herself? Still loving the narative, and now that you are making holly suspect something in the naritive, I'm enjoying this more than usual.

More exploration now? maybe get some Soulmates?

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164

Monsters don't seem to attack in MRA2 when exploring, sadly.

Or maybe not until the later explorations.

A shame, because that made MR4 so much fun when I player for my friend.

Also, we haven't gotten to the part of the 'story' where we're taught about Soulmates, and I don't think you can use them until them.

Also a shame.

Also, glad you like the narrative. I'm certainly not the best writer, so it's always good to know somebody likes your work.

Not to mention that the narrative takes the most time out of anything. If it were just playing the game, I'd probably be done with this Let's Play by now. But then it wouldn't be as entertaining, now would it?
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2009-11-28 at 07:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165

Just playing the game? So you mean video lps then.

16. - Top - End - #166

Default A Day in the Life of Pixie

Sometimes I wonder what Holly thinks. Ash has made it clear that he doesn't like the new me, but Holly... she's just been Holly. Ash is odd like that, though.

It doesn't matter, though. I don't care what either of them think, they just can't see the truth.

The old me was bloodthirsty, caring only about violence. The new me... I craved power, and I was slowly obtaining it. Through my training, I grew faster, more accurate, smarter... my body frail and weak, but I was gaining power.

: I think we should take her to the hospital.
    I think you're right. At the very least, she should have a check-up.

I could find the weaknesses of my enemies in a near instant... I could intimidate enemies to keep them from attacking... soon, I might even begin manipulating the breeders instead of the monsters... I'm sure one of them will find me attractive...
    Come on, Pixie. We're taking you to... register for a tournament.
    He thinks he can trick me. Still, I can't register for the tournaments myself, and the tournaments help me gain more power and influence... I need to let Ash and Holly think they're in charge, if I want to see my plans to fruition.

Hellooooo nurse!
    : Oh, I'm not a nurse yet, I'm still studying. I'm really more of a student!
    I miss people getting my references...
    Sometimes I wonder about Ash... he seems different... he says things sometimes that don't make sense... it's... interesting... intriguing... a secret I need to crack...
    : I'll take you to see the doctor now, ok?
    Pixie.
    Keep up the charade...

Holly, I don't trust this guy.
    : Really? Why not?
    You don't see it?
    : C'mon, I don't have all day. I need to... examine Pixie as soon as possible.
    : You're just being paranoid, like always.
    Ok, whatever...
    Silly Ash. The doctor wouldn't try anything if he valued his life.
    --
    : Right, I have the diagnosis.

I told you all this training wasn't healthy, Pixie! Look at what came of it!
    : I prescribe these medicines.

Right, as long as it makes her healthy again...
    --

: Hey, Ash... what did you mean when you said that you miss people getting your references?
    No time for that, Holly. There's rumors of stray monsters attacking ranches. One of the nearby ranches just got attacked yesterday, and I'm worried we might be next.
    : Ash, don't change the su-
    GRRAAAAAAAAUGH!
    I knew it!
    How easily amused he is.

This monster... it was already injured. Obviously in another fight before this.

I didn't even have to go beyond preparing to attack, and it ran away. Looks like I was too much for it.

And this week is the tournament.
    Ash, don't forget that you said we'd enter a tournament.
    Oh god, you're talking again!
    Pixie?
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2009-11-30 at 02:52 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Nice post; kinda reflects on the "Pikachu" dialogue from your previous LP .
    Last edited by Vorpal word; 2009-11-30 at 03:36 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168

Hey, request time!

Are any of you good artists? I think I'll be ending each monster's career with a drawn picture, if I can get one. Although we're only on October of year 2, I know art can take a long time sometimes, and I want to give whoever takes up the job as much times as possible. I've already got Pixie's ending planned out, it's just a matter of getting there.

But yeah, if any of you are artists (although not stick-artists. It's a good art style, but not what I'm going for here), and are willing to draw the picture, post or PM me an example of your work.

You may be wondering "But Fiddler, what do I get, other than an awesome sense of awesomeness, if I decide to draw this for you?" I'll tell you what you get; you get to decide what Ash looks like.

So, anyone able to help out?

Obviously, this'll mean spoilers. I trust you to not tell anyone.
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2009-11-30 at 09:10 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169

NinjaGuy

How long do monsters usually live in this game?

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

AWSOME! a look into the half-demented mind of pixie!
    *starts vibrating from exitment*
    hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
    *explodes from antisipation for the next update*
    JOY-SPLOSION!!!!1!!!11!!!one!!!!

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171

Default Re: A Day in the Life of Pixie

I could find the weaknesses of my enemies in a near instant... I could intimidate enemies to keep them from attacking... soon, I might even begin manipulating the breeders instead of the monsters... I'm sure one of them will find me attractive...
    OK that is creepy

22. - Top - End - #172

Default Lucky 13 Proves Lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Istari View Post
    OK that is creepy
    Good, it was supposed to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossblade View Post
    How long do monsters usually live in this game?
    I've seen monsters live to a third birthday, but not to a fourth, in my own games. Pixie is nearing her 2nd, so another year or so.

I'll probably be holding back a bit though. Don't want to go too far with the first monster.

---------

: We are gathered here to today to watch the best of the D rank...
    : Yo, Ash! I knew you wouldn't back down from my challenge!
    Of course not... person... whom I know...
    : You don't remember me, do you?
    Of course I do! You're.... Fisher?
    : You are SO going down.
    Whatever. Pixie's getting anxious for battle, so we have to go.
    No I'm not.
    ...you heard that, right?
    : I heard nothing.
    : ...me neither...
    : Nor I.
    Ah! When did you get here?
    --

The first enemy was a blue cat holding a nut.

It died from its own fail.

I have to wonder where the people are getting all of these crabs from. I still want one.

...never mind, they're kind of wimpy.

...I thought I'd seen all the weird stuff this world had for me, but apparently I was wrong.

But I had to admit, its attack was pretty cool.

Hey, maybe this'll bring old Pixie back.
    I need to gain more power...

...I think somebody's high, here. I hope to god it isn't me.

Pixie got a contact high. They both just stood there for the match, but they declared Pixie the winner anyway.

: You're gonna lose! You don't stand a chance!
    I dunno, did you see how easily Pixie won those other battles?
    : Yeah, by flukes. One died from its own fail, for god's sake!

: I assure you, Huego will be a much more challenging opponent!

Huego started the match with a powerful running leap toward Pixie. I sensed the makings of an epic battle.

Pixie grabbed Huego by the horns and tossed him across the arena.

So much for an epic battle.
    What was that about challenge?
    : We'll see who has the last laugh! Look at the scoreboard!
    : Because two competitors have the same score...

Is this a good idea?
    : Of course it is. Now shut up so we can defeat-

: -you... dammit... I'll never get to be the Rookie Extraordinaire like this!
    Right, now I remember you! You were that whiny punk!
    : ...

I assume this is good?
    : It is indeed.
    Right. Time to go home then.
    ----

We only had a small party this time, to make sure nothing weird happened. Only lasted a day, too.
    ----

: Hey, Ash? I wanted to ask you something.
    Go ahead, Holly.
    : Well, I w-

: Oh great, it's her. And what GREAT timing.
    Well, you can always ask me later.

23. - Top - End - #173

You know, you've really helped inspire me to do an LP, particularly in this style as opposed to a video LP on youtube.
    Now if only I could get off my ass and start the damn thing… >.>

EDIT:
    And I also JUST noticed you've been giving your updates titles.
    Who woulda thunk?
    Last edited by Uncle Festy; 2009-12-06 at 09:28 PM.
    Quote Of The Week Whenever I Feel Like Updating It (last updated 1/17/12)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase
    That guy was badass! He was like, "Oh! Oh, you're gonna try to Chuck Norris me, I'll just Chuck Norris you!" Unfortunately, I am the best Chuck Norris since Chuck Norris.
    Which is saying something, considering that Chuck Norris... was Chuck Norris.

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    And I also JUST noticed you've been giving your updates titles.
    Who woulda thunk?
    Ah, but they suck, because I suck at titles.

And writing, for that matter.

Good luck with your LP if you go through with it, though.

25. - Top - End - #175

NinjaGuy

I want to know what Holly wants!

26. - Top - End - #176

Default 14 is More Annoying

Quote Originally Posted by Crossblade View Post
    I want to know what Holly wants!
    Holly, what did you want?
    : Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want.
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want.

Don't ask.

---------

Yes yes, we can see that.
    : Tee hee... sorry.
    : What are you even doing here. I thought you were supposed to be cleaning your ranch today.
    : I got somebody to cover for me. I have a plot I need to set in motion anyway.
    Would you stop looking at me like that?
    : *cough* Sorry... but uh... have you heard about.... soulmates?
    ...duh. How couldn't I have?
    : Right then, let's try it out!

: Ready to battle?

: Here we go!

This makes a lot more sense. Although now I'm wondering how being soulmates work in this world.

And why would Pixie want to be soulmates with a Hare?

Oliver spent the entire match just shouting. I seriously have no idea what he was trying to accomplish there.

Pixie was a bit annoyed, but Oliver was obviously tired from shouting for that long.
    : It looks like they're really getting along!

(Hey there hot stuff.)

Go die in a hole.
    Sure they are...
    : I think my plan worked! They're soulmates now! This is just step one in my plan! Make sure you use the attack often! I've got to get back to cleaning the ranch now! Bye Ash!
    : Good riddance. Now, like I was saying...
    What was she talking about? What attack?

Fun fact: Soulmates apparently give you attacks that you can only use once a battle and only in certain battles. Soulmates in this world make no sense.
    Okay, what were you saying, Holly?
    : Oh. Only that I was w-
    Wait a second. Where's Pixie?

Goddammit Pixie!
    :

It's like 2 degrees out, you're wearing practically nothing, and you're still training constantly. You're going to get sick like this, Pixie!

Stop ignoring me!
    ----
    I'm telling you, Holly, it isn't healthy!
    : Neither is how much you're obsessing over it.
    W-
    : Hello, everyone!
    What's with all the visitors recently?
    : Don't worry, I'm just here delivering a coupon for discounted training.
    Oh, thanks!
    : No problem, have fun you two!
    ----
    Speed Training, please.
    : Okay then. Here's your trainer.

Err.... Pixie's faster than him. How's this supposed to help?
    : Trust me, it will.

Wow.
    --

Pixie looks a bit sad.
    : It's not at all being tired from all that training or getting her butt handed to her or anything.

Whatever, I need an excuse to get rid of the candy we found in the ruins.
    -------
    There, soulmates. I know you've all been waiting.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 14 is More Annoying

Holly, what did you want?
    : Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really, really want.
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want.

Don't ask.
    I liked the Spice Girls so I thought it was lmao.

28. - Top - End - #178

Default Re: 14 is More Annoying

: It looks like they're really getting along!

(Hey there hot stuff.)

Go die in a hole.
    Sure they are...
    Win.
    Last edited by Uncle Festy; 2009-12-13 at 09:01 PM.
    Quote Of The Week Whenever I Feel Like Updating It (last updated 1/17/12)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase
    That guy was badass! He was like, "Oh! Oh, you're gonna try to Chuck Norris me, I'll just Chuck Norris you!" Unfortunately, I am the best Chuck Norris since Chuck Norris.
    Which is saying something, considering that Chuck Norris... was Chuck Norris.

29. - Top - End - #179

NinjaGuy

I remember getting the same type of replies to my hit-ons in high school.
    Good times.

30. - Top - End - #180

Whenever you mentioned the word 'soulmate' I immediately thought of Gig, alas Pixie won't get the ability to jump 2000 levels in a single battle and rip the enemy to shreds from her soulmate.
    "Power is merely the faculty to act. It is a kinetic quantity few can grasp. The deaths of these fanatics costs me nothing. I can replace them. Because I never stop moving."

-Lucian~Fortuna Saga-