New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91

Default Re: The Story of Ash, Chapter 2 - Let's Play Monster Rancher Advance 2!

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Check her stats. Is her INT higher then the instructor's?
    Nope, the default trainer is 300 in everything.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, we did pretty good. We beat the most not weird enemy there. I mean the other two...what?

We may need to build her DEF. That affecfted how much she was hit. But our evading skills rocked.
    Congrats at least.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

I think health was a contributing factor too.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I told you we should have trained! But at least now, we can compare Pixie to her competition.

Her strengths are Int, Acc and Spd. Now, she can already hit her opponents, so I say for some intensive training, we ignore Acc just until the next tournament.

So work on Spd and Int. We want her to be more of a Glass Railgun than a Glass Cannon. Cannons take too long to reload after all.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

I do like how Pixie is a bloodthirsty fightmonger, and how Ash is stunned by the world's monsters.

I say train. Go for defense *nodnod*
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Crossblade View Post
    So work on Spd and Int. We want her to be more of a Glass Railgun than a Glass Cannon. Cannons take too long to reload after all.
    Except a Glass Railgun is worse than a Glass Cannon, unless your proposing that he train to the point where the only attack is a One-Hit KO.

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    Except a Glass Railgun is worse than a Glass Cannon, unless your proposing that he train to the point where the only attack is a One-Hit KO.
    How about a GLASS ROCKET LAUNCHER!!

Or a glass Assault Rifle?
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2009-10-15 at 03:11 PM.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel we should consider a broader spectrum of construction materials.
    Quoth the raven, "Polly wants a cracker."

Pony avatar by the Great and Powerful DirtyTabs. Lotsa hugs!

Scourge Caste avatar by the illustrious Akrim.elf. Thank you!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    Duct Tape cannons work okay.

Or we could go with glass Waste-M combat shotguns. Good damage, tight spread, fast reloading...
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

10. - Top - End - #100

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
    Wood cannons catch on fire after the string to set off the fuss burns down enough.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Wood cannons catch on fire after the string to set off the fuss burns down enough.
    I still say Duct Tape.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Does a duct tape cannon fix itself?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Duct tape fixes everything.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Having done some reading, we don't want to do any work on stats that we haven't touched, because that'll waste time that we can devote to bringing pixie up to decent power levels...
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

15. - Top - End - #105

NinjaGuy

Your first monster never lives that long though. It's like that in all the games. Best thing to do with it is to make as much money with it as possible, so it'll pave the way for you being able to raise strong and stronger monsters the next time.

16. - Top - End - #106

Default Title are Hard to Come up With When Ill

When Pixie's done resting, what do you think we should do?
    : It'd probably be best to keep training her Intelligence, Speed, and Accuracy. She's got natural talent in those, and all of the skills she has helps that already.
    Right, I figured that. But I meant more about battles. How long do you think it will be until we can enter Pixie in a tournament again without risking her getting her butt handed to her.
    : I dunno... it depends on a lot of factors. I'll tell you when I think she's ready.
    Right. Thanks.
    Pixie!
    Well, look who's awake. Ready to train more?
    My enemies will fall! I shall destroy them!
    I... uh...
    : You okay, Ash? You look pale.
    Y-yeah... you didn't hear anything... like, a slightly psychotic voice that was being... psychotic?
    : No... not realy...
    Okay then... go start training Pixie... I have to go take a test...

--

: Hey, how'd the test go?
    Good... I guess... how long have they been standing there, telling riddles?
    : For an hour or so.
    Do you understand what they're saying?
    : Of course not, they're monsters! What made you think I could talk to them?
    Nothing, I just wondered what they were saying that- hey, looks like they're done. I wonder if it payed off.

Well, I can't really complain about those numbers.
    : No, no you cannot. Oh, and Ash... next week's the official tournament. I don't think Pixie's ready yet, but as always, it is your call.
    Nah, I don't want to risk Pixie getting hurt. Even though she creeps me out...
    : What was that?
    Nothing.
    --

: I wanted to tell you that AGIMA is having a discount on sparring training. It's thirty-three point three three three, repeating of course, percent cheaper than normal!
    Thanks for that info.
    : No problem; it's my job. See ya!
    --

: Thank you! We were hoping we could sign up our monster up for a sparring match. We heard that there was a discount?
    : Right you are! Normally, the sparring matches cost 3000 apiece, but with the discount, it only costs 1000. Additionally, if you use your own trainer instead of on of ours, you get an additional 20% discount. That's probably good, because you two look young and inexperienced, and probably don't have much money, am I right?
    Shouldn't you know that, considering we had to give you our financial records a week ago?
    : ...are you from a foreign country?
    Kind of... why?
    : Well I was just wondering, because everybody in AGIMA knows that all the secretaries are sisters. That was my sister you were talking about.
    Oh... kind of like Nurse Joy...
    : What was that?
    Nothing.
    : You sure say a lot of nothing, Ash.
    Very funny.
    : Of course it is. Anyway, I think we'll use Masimaro, my Mocchi. I think Speed training is what we'll go for.
    : Right, I wish you all good luck.
    --

I have to say, I was a bit worried. I wasn't quite sure of Masimaro's personality. Would he only go as far as necessary to make sure Pixie got a good training, or would he be completely vicious and tear her to shreds?

I didn't really have much time to consider this before the fight started.

Pixie started off with her energy blast, as almost always. It hit, but hardly did anything short of pissing off Masimaro.

Who promptly countered with a bitch slap. A rice ball bitch slapping a demon-girl... I never could have imagined this day.

Pixie promptly used her energy blast again... three times.

Which Masimaro dodged quite handily.

And countered with another bitch slap.

Poor Pixie... she tried her hardest, but she was completely owned.

Still, the results were good, and Pixie didn't look that hurt, just a bit tired.

And this interested me. Monsters learning moves without gaining levels.

Turned out, she had simply learned to copy Masimaro's slap, but I told her to use it. It wouldn't do much damage, seeing as it's a slap and she has crappy POW, but it was hard to miss with it supposedly, and it gave her something to use in close range.

Oh, did I forget to mention that? Apparently monsters can only use moves within a certain range. This makes no sense, but whatever. I told Pixie to go to bed before she could start going psychotic again (I know it's her now because that test said I wasn't crazy! I can always trust self-help books, right?).

: Ash, we need to be really careful now. The decisions we make right now have a huge impact on Pixie's future. This is a very important time for her!

Great, monster puberty.
    ----
    Sorry if this reeks of unfunny, I've come down with something, and the fever is addling my brain.

As for the lack of updates... no excuse. I'll get better on it if I recover though (and if I don't I'll have died, them's the breaks).

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

I say raise her INT to above 300 and then replace the monster tutor. Then lets find a better all around monster.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Good Luck with the fever. Don't die till you complete this, "Let's Play", deal?

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Good Luck with the fever. Don't die till you complete this, "Let's Play", deal?
    I'll do my best.

As for the dumping Pixie and making her a tutor, I'm not going to do that until she gets too old to fight/train herself.

She'll have a higher Int then anyway.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Well, hurry up and raise her INT then.

21. - Top - End - #111

NinjaGuy

Sorry if this reeks of unfunny, I've come down with something, and the fever is addling my brain.
    I find this enjoyable! I actually wish you would update more frequently.

As for training, I'd raise HP twice, then Int again. (And since months are 4 weeks long, throw in a rest if needed, if not; train Int)

22. - Top - End - #112

I find this enjoyable! I actually wish you would update more frequently.
    Yeah... I'm trying to fix that.

23. - Top - End - #113

NinjaGuy

Well no pressure. I used to write too; sometimes you're inspired, sometimes you're not. Additionally, you're playing through a game, and games are meant to be fun.
    So have fun, because when you're enjoying yourself, we're enjoying it with you.

24. - Top - End - #114

Well no pressure. I used to write too; sometimes you're inspired, sometimes you're not. Additionally, you're playing through a game, and games are meant to be fun.
    So have fun, because when you're enjoying yourself, we're enjoying it with you.
    You're what they call an enabler.

You enable my procrastination.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post

I updated Marathon 2 every day for a month! And then I started another one the next day!

(Note: not an insult. My Marathon 1 LP? Gappy, timelinewise. Just trying to be unenablering, not claiming perfection. Heck, I'll probably stop for months now just due to narrative laws.)

26. - Top - End - #116

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    I could get out my spikes and choker to start intimidating you with the option of disabling you.
    Would you prefer that? I do know eviler Pixies than your's after all.

Last edited by Crossblade; 2009-10-20 at 09:28 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117

Default Improvements all Around

: There's a tournament coming up in a month or two. I think we should finish training and enter it.
    I think you're right, Pixie's been getting stronger, and I think she has a real chance. I think right now we should try to make he a bit faster.
    : Right, dodge training it is.

You know, this still looks really dangerous.
    : Perhaps, but so is fighting other monsters.
    True...

...and I really can't argue with these numbers.
    : You shouldn't worry though, I've taken all the safety precautions possible.
    Right. Accuracy training now.

Wow... she... broke the target.

You're doing great, Pixie!

Pixie!

I think you're ready for the tournament!
    Pixie!
    Is that face a bit unnerving to you?
    : Not really. Let's go, we'll be late for the tournament.

----

: Hello, and welcome one and all to the Princess Cup! This tournament dates back ages, to an event in which men risked everything to win the heart of a fair princess! Who will be the champion of this historic tournament?
    That doesn't really explain why we have this tournament.
    : I think they make up this stuff to make the people in it feel more prestigious.
    ----

Our first match was against another little cat doll thing. I have to wonder about some of these "monsters".

It was obvious that Pixie had the advantage in everything but Physical fighting.

Pixie glared at the doll. I think I saw some blood lust in her eyes, which only made me question if these things had blood.

Pixie started off with a quick energy ray, before moving into a somersault.

The doll tried to stab Pixie with its claws.

But Pixie just fired off another energy ray.

The doll didn't stand a chance.

Good job, Pixie!
    Her eyes and her smile scared me, but I kept my cool.

The next fight was again "Pain Kill". I was pretty sure Pixie had enough of an advantage, even with a name like that.

I have to say, that was one weird fish lizard thing. Things in this world... I don't really know how to describe half of them. I think I was lucky to have gotten Pixie, which was something really simple to understand.

The match started, and before Pixie could do anything, the... thing... launched itself at Pixie, and slashed at her with its tail.

Pixie tried to fire off her standard energy ray...

But the thing began spewing some really nasty looking gas. Pixie started coughing too hard to focus her energy.

Even through the coughing, she managed to give the thing a good kick in the jaw.

It was a close battle, but Pixie lost in the end. I have to give it to her though, if I were in her position, that gas would have knocked me out.

She certainly was getting better, and at least we got a small prize for placing. It would help pay the bills.

And we were getting our name out there. I'd need to see if there were sponsorship deals in this universe.

But now we had a tough decision: should we enter the official tournament, or not?

----
    Ok, here's the deal. We win this tournament, we rank up. We rank up, we get better stuff, and when Pixie's done for, we can put in longer passwords and use more monsters. We're nearing the end of the first year now, and I don't know how long Pixie will last for. Normally the monsters go through two or three birthdays, but I'm not sure if it's shorter for your first monster. I'm sure we'll get a chance to move up to rank D at some point, but if we don't try now, it'll just be one less rank we'll be able to get. I'm actually confident Pixie can win this... maybe. Like, 50% chance, but still.

It's up to you guys; I'm off to try and beat Bald Bull. Damn Title Defense...
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2009-10-25 at 10:40 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

I have never played this game before. So my vote is for go for it, and see what happens.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Go the distance, Fiddler, go the Distance!!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Exploit save states! Go for it!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!