New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default belt of gender change + pregnant + remove curse

So, remove curse removes the belt of gender change...
    What do you think happens if someone is pregnant and is then hit by a remove curse by someone?

EDIT: Actually, this can extend to other spells... baleful polymorph anyone? druid shapeshifting? wizard casting polymorph on herself?
    Last edited by taltamir; 2009-09-28 at 10:16 PM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: belt of gender change + pregnant + remove curse

Ugh....

Did I REALLY need a specific reason to rule that a man wearing a reverse gender belt couldn't get pregnant?? Did I??

"Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It's magic. No one here knows. Depends on how the DM wants to play it.

Does it fail entirely? Do we have an M-Preg situation? Is the spell delayed until the end of the term? Does the baby go splat? Is the curse made permanent?

Personally, I'd just say that impregnation is impossible for a gender-changed subject for the duration of the curse. Avoids the issues altogether.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    So, remove curse removes the belt of gender change...
    What do you think happens if someone is pregnant and is then hit by a remove curse by someone?
    Don't worry, Pregancy is a curse you removed it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

I never felt like quoting Rumiko Takahashi before...

Though IIRC changlings can't swap gender if they are pregnant.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Silly people, everyone knows the male body can sustain a fetus. If the internet has taught me anything, it's that a man is perfectly capable of giving birth even under the flimsiest of justifications. All you need is an awkward, badly written relationship with another male character, possibly but not necessarily the father. Add a few glurge-y scenes where you both worry about the baby, and you're golden. It's a romance that will stand the test of time. kill me now

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    I never felt like quoting Rumiko Takahashi before...

Though IIRC changlings can't swap gender if they are pregnant.
    Sounds familiar, which one of her comics is it from?

Actually, this can extend to other spells... baleful polymorph anyone? druid shapeshifting? wizard casting polymorph on herself?
    Last edited by taltamir; 2009-09-28 at 10:16 PM.

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

When presured for an answer for such a question her answer was "I don't think about it and neither should you"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

So you're who the BoEF was written for, are you?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Related question: what effect does Remove Disease have on a fetus? Is it a parasite?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Sounds familiar, which one of her comics is it from?
    She was talking about Ranma 1/2 - since Ranma changes genders when splashed with water it raised the question about female Ranma getting pregnant.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sounds like an abortion to me.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd just say the fetus would become a part of your body like a Fetus in fetu. If it's a horror setting then that would probably have some nasty consequences a la Stephen King.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

For a certain interpretation of the spell, Remove curse might not only get out of the pregnancy even if magic wasn't involved in the first place, but might also annul your marriage!
    If RPG's have taught me anything, it's that all social and economic problems of the world can be solved through murder.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Well. . . I would rule it as a man being pregnant. With cure spells at the ready and admantium scalpels in the event of damage reduction on the part of the pregnant one, it could be done quite safely. Healing magic would have to be applied as soon as the baby and placenta is removed, as men don't have the same mechanism for stopping the flow of blood from the blood vessel connected to the placenta. I would urge the remove curse to be applied after the baby is born. There is no statistical changes from being a woman, and a natural birth would be far less disruptive and risky to both the child and the mother.
    That's my thought anyway.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2009-09-28 at 10:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeantbrother View Post
    Sounds like an abortion to me.
    maybe, or maybe for shape shifting the fetus is polymorphed into whatever shape the mother switches to (aka, a baby rabbit if she turns into a rabbit)... while with gender swap, maybe it just remains inside... take some con damage due to it attaching to a random organ, maybe have a percent chance of it dying.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Personally, I'd just say that impregnation is impossible for a gender-changed subject for the duration of the curse. Avoids the issues altogether.
    This.

Or if you consider that it is magical and the entire effect was produced by a magical change and therefore upheld by magic, if a pregnancy occurs, then when the curse is removed all of the magic goes too, and everything that goes with it. but, that is because the entire nature of problem was magical.

Now. What will really bake your noodle is, what happens when a pregnant woman puts on a belt of gender change?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Paulus View Post
    Now. What will really bake your noodle is, what happens when a pregnant woman puts on a belt of gender change?
    Again, pregnant man.
    My noodle is unbaked, Oracle. And those cookies look awful.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    Related question: what effect does Remove Disease have on a fetus? Is it a parasite?
    Only if you believe some astoundingly biased high-school videos. No, it's a million miles away from being a parasite, and it wasn't exactly a genius idea to say "Hey, the mothers body is [voluntarily] feeding the baby. That makes the baby like a parasite."

As for the original topic, the result is a reflex save vs. a flying DMG. I'm glad this topic has stayed as civil as it has. But more seriously the kid wouldn't survive without the necessary life support organs. A parasite would though.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-09-28 at 10:39 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

This.

Or if you consider that it is magical and the entire effect was produced by a magical change and therefore upheld by magic, if a pregnancy occurs, then when the curse is removed all of the magic goes too, and everything that goes with it. but, that is because the entire nature of problem was magical.

I mention three separate transformations for a pregnant woman already (baleful polymorph, druid shape shift, and polymorph)... so belt of gender change doesn't surprise me...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    As for the original topic, the result is a reflex save vs. a flying DMG. I'm glad this topic has stayed as civil as it has. But more seriously the kid wouldn't survive without the necessary life support organs. A parasite would though.
    Fetuses produce their own life support organs. They just need access to blood vessels, which they create via hormone secretions. The uterous is a "safe place" for it, but fetuses are known to implant in ANY organ... look up "ectopic pregnancy". It is lethal, naturally.
    Also some people are born with parts of their own placenta implanted into their bodies, causing horrible deformations (it is near impossible to remove in some places)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Only if you believe some astoundingly biased high-school videos. No, it's a million miles away from being a parasite, and it wasn't exactly a genius idea to say "Hey, the mothers body is [voluntarily] feeding the baby. That makes the baby like a parasite."

The baby would still have the sack and placenta, these are formed during pregnancy and are not there constantly in the uterus. There actually has been a successful case of a baby growing outside the womb, both for mother and child.
    *semi ninja-ed!*
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2009-09-28 at 10:53 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

The way I'd rule it is this: A man who becomes a woman via magic CAN get pregnant. If she's returned to being a man before the pragnancy ends, there's no negative effect on the mother or the baby. The baby simply exists in limbo (not Limbo the plane of chaos, just a nebulous state of semi-existance) until (and if) the "mother" becomes female again, at which point she's at the same point in the pregnancy as she was right before she became male.

It works the same way for people who were born female.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shpadoinkle View Post
    The way I'd rule it is this: A man who becomes a woman via magic CAN get pregnant. If she's returned to being a man before the pragnancy ends, there's no negative effect on the mother or the baby. The baby simply exists in limbo (not Limbo the plane of chaos, just a nebulous state of semi-existance) until (and if) the "mother" becomes female again, at which point she's at the same point in the pregnancy as she was right before she became male.

But that would be. . .
    Schroedinger's Prego!
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2009-09-28 at 10:55 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Again, pregnant man.
    My noodle is unbaked, Oracle. And those cookies look awful.
    No cookies for you then. :P

I mention three separate transformations for a pregnant woman already (baleful polymorph, druid shape shift, and polymorph)... so belt of gender change doesn't surprise me...
    yeah but those are all magical transitions which basically keep the same general type to type basis. Unless you meant if the poly-morphed into a different gender of the species? In which case it would still always be upheld by magic. So like all of her equipment it would meld into her body, and when she changes back, the pregnancy is as normal.

Following this logic..., I'd like to think the pregnancy remained with the woman and returned when the curse was removed! Because that is just flowers and sunshine and how I'd like it to turn out.

On a side note: Anyone remember that movie where the guy was a real jerk to women all his life and he died and would have gone to hell except they gave him once chance to find one girl who really loved him- So he came back to life, only, as a woman?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shpadoinkle View Post

nice... it is like how your clothes are subsumed into the spell...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Fetuses produce their own life support organs. They just need access to blood vessels, which they create via hormone secretions. The uterous is a "safe place" for it, but fetuses are known to implant in ANY organ... look up "ectopic pregnancy". It is lethal, naturally.
    Also some people are born with parts of their own placenta implanted into their bodies, causing horrible deformations (it is near impossible to remove in some places)
    Okay, I looked it up. This is the first thing I found:
    Overview
    An ectopic pregnancy is an abnormal pregnancy that occurs outside the womb (uterus). The baby cannot survive.
    The linked story says it is one of two cases ever, and it was a struggle. Just look at the picture and caption, for example. There is also some chemical communication between the mother's body and the baby. I dunno if a male body is equipped for that, though it might be.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-09-28 at 11:01 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

I'm creepily reminded of Total Recall.....

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    But that would be. . .
    Schroedinger's Prego!
    You have no idea what "Shroedinger's cat" means, do you?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

No cookies for you then. :P
    Really, they did. They looked like they were made out of plastic or covered in wax, which they probably were, it being movie food and all.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2009-09-28 at 10:58 PM.