New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Ways to get arround INT req for wizard spells

So i'm fiddling with a AeshRauku (IIRC) Gish, so my bonus spells are based off STR.
    Focusing on self buffing, since the Saving throw will be so easy.
    You know standard gish stuff.

But how do you get around the requirement to havbe INT = 10 + spell lvl?
    I guess i Can persist foxes cunning. or get a Item, but then, what do i gain from having my bonus spells based of STR?
    There is nothing on earth that we share; it is either Valjean or Javert!

"A wizard can in fact be thought of the custodian to a familiar, a terrifying beast that charges its foes, slashing them to shreds while delivering their master's touch spells and bestowing upon their masters incredible bonuses to their hp or skill checks. A wizard is nearly powerless without one."

Need to find a God? or Spell or Feat?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Ways to get arround INT req for wizard spells

Quote Originally Posted by oxinabox View Post
    So i'm fiddling with a AeshRauku (IIRC) Gish, so my bonus spells are based off STR.
    Focusing on self buffing, since the Saving throw will be so easy.
    You know standard gish stuff.

But how do you get around the requirement to havbe INT = 10 + spell lvl?
    I guess i Can persist foxes cunning. or get a Item, but then, what do i gain from having my bonus spells based of STR?
    I think the bonus spells are ment more for multiclass casters... i would say its prolly not that hard to get a 15-18 int especialy with items...
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I'm tempted to say Tainted Scholar, but that would make Illumian pretty obsolete.

Anyway, you only need 19 int at level 17, that shouldn't be so hard to achieve; a headband of intellect is only 36k, and you might want a base 13 for Combat Expertise anyway.
    If a tree falls in a forest, the Druid will make sure you hear about it.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclocone View Post
    Anyway, you only need 19 int at level 17, that shouldn't be so hard to achieve; a headband of intellect is only 36k, and you might want a base 13 for Combat Expertise anyway.
    Yeah I guess but i'm only down 3 spell lvls from lvl 8 till basically lvl 16 (IIRC).

so even aat lvl 8 i need INT 13, might as well grab 14 for the skill point.
    So that tides's me through til lvl 13.
    persisted foxes cunning is an 8th lvl spell, so I get it at lvl 17ish.
    un acceptable, as i even if i can't foxes cunning on myself, to persist foxes cunning myself...
    I could possibly externed foxes cunning every half hour...

I don't think it would be too hard to get a dm to homebrew an illuimum feat that lets you get out of the int requirements, for spells you get bonus spells in from strength. but that isn't a satifactory solution
    there's an exception to everyrule.

I thing as a gish 36,000 is something i really want to be spending on my weapon.

Who want's combat experiese when your a abjurant champion, wearing a Mithal full plate, with ohsomany buffs on your AC?
    The only nice synergy i get from havign a decent INT is increased reflex saves.
    Last edited by oxinabox; 2009-10-01 at 08:18 AM.

"A wizard can in fact be thought of the custodian to a familiar, a terrifying beast that charges its foes, slashing them to shreds while delivering their master's touch spells and bestowing upon their masters incredible bonuses to their hp or skill checks. A wizard is nearly powerless without one."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Would spell casting prodigy work? I forget the exact wording of the feat. that plus 4k for +2 intelligence item should see you through for a while.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Would spell casting prodigy work? I forget the exact wording of the feat. that plus 4k for +2 intelligence item should see you through for a while.
    No. looked it up.
    for determining bonus spells treat your Bonus giving ability score as being +2 over what it is.
    Special: you may only tke the feat at lvl 1.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I thing as a gish 36,000 is something i really want to be spending on my weapon.
    36k is a lot but what about 16k? A +4 headband of int is just as good as your fox's cunning and will last until you can throw down more gold. If you have another wizard in the part you may be able to pick up his +4 headband when he goes for the +6 one.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think it would be too hard to get a dm to homebrew an illuimum feat that lets you get out of the int requirements, for spells you get bonus spells in from strength. but that isn't a satisfactory solution
    No, not satisfactory at all. Don't waste a feat on it.

What level are you starting? What is your starting Int?

Seriously, Int 14 will get you through half the game and Int 19 will get you through the other half. You don't need to shell out 36k right at the beginning, just start with a reasonable Int (12? 13?) and buy a 4k headband of Intellect +2 by 9th level. Remember you can put your stat bumps into Int too, which is another +4 to Int before you qualify for 9th level spells at L17.

Seriously, you only have to boost your Int to 19 to cast the best spells in the game, whereas you are free to boost your Str to 30+ for a ton of bonus spells. It's still a good deal. Gish's are MAD by definition, but in your case you've nearly taken Int outof the equation altogether. Finding Int 19 over 17 levels will be no problem for you.

:)

edit: the real question is, do your save DC's come off of Int or Str? If it's still Int, then I guess you are either a blaster caster or using your spells just for buffing.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2009-10-01 at 10:23 AM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

What Another_Poet said.

...Of course if you're cheap, you can just put your level-ups in INT, and go Cancer Mage for infinite STR.

HULK SMASH CAST!!!!
    If a tree falls in a forest, the Druid will make sure you hear about it.

10. - Top - End - #10

edit: the real question is, do your save DC's come off of Int or Str? If it's still Int, then I guess you are either a blaster caster or using your spells just for buffing.
    DC's off INT.
    Buffing myself!
    depending on the lvl either
    very low lvls: Critcal strike.
    very high lvls: Quickened true strike + power attack like a Boss (get rid of my whole BaB)
    and all those other tasty, tasty buffs in between.

Seriously, Int 14 will get you through half the game and Int 19 will get you through the other half. You don't need to shell out 36k right at the beginning, just start with a reasonable Int (12? 13?) and buy a 4k headband of Intellect +2 by 9th level. Remember you can put your stat bumps into Int too, which is another +4 to Int before you qualify for 9th level spells at L17
    good point, i will pump, my str to the stupid lvl most wizards have there INT.
    which makes 19 int quite poor.
    I don't want to put my lvl ups in int though: I need tholse for more STR (esp if i start STR 17 (or even 16 jk), to have more points to put in say, INT

11. - Top - End - #11

Who want's combat experiese when your a abjurant champion, wearing a Mithal full plate, with ohsomany buffs on your AC?
    What's Mithral Full Plate when you're an Abjurant Champion with Greater Mage Armour?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sofawall View Post
    What's Mithral Full Plate when you're an Abjurant Champion with Greater Mage Armour?
    Something that adds 8+enhancement bonus to armor instead of a flat +6, I would assume.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Aneantir View Post
    Something that adds 8+enhancement bonus to armor instead of a flat +6, I would assume.
    Abjurant Champions add their class level to any armour or shield bonuses granted by spells. Greater Mage Armour becomes +11, has no check penalty or weight, and costs nothing. It also counts as a force effect, of course, but I'm not sure how often that comes up.

For extra fun, cast Shield for another +9.

14. - Top - End - #14

Wow, i just realised that Magic Vestement is't a wizard spell. and it's not abjuration...
    no fair. this requires thought/ redesign of build.

Oh well
    Nezram's Sapphire Screen of Shielding
    and Shield are both untyped right?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alteran View Post
    Abjurant Champions add their class level to any armour or shield bonuses granted by spells. Greater Mage Armour becomes +11, has no check penalty or weight, and costs nothing. It also counts as a force effect, of course, but I'm not sure how often that comes up.

For extra fun, cast Shield for another +9.
    That bonus only applies to AC granted by Abjuration spells. Since GMA is a Conjuration, it gains no benefit. There's a misprint in the book that lists Mage Armour as an example even though it's exempt, which is what usually causes people to think that it works.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2009-10-01 at 09:57 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

Shield is (shock and awe) a shield bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

17. - Top - End - #17

Nezram's Sapphire Screen of Shielding: [LEoF p33]:
    wizard 5, gives you the effect of the Sheild spell, + DR10/magic
    requires arcane focus 250 gp saphire
    How ever it's onlty 1 round / lvl vs sheild 1 minute/lvl

clearly wouldn't stack with shield.
    At lvl 10 (as soon as i get swift abjuartion)
    I can cast it exteneded and quickened free.

As far as i can tell its on of the only 2 abjuration spells that grants DR.
    the other being
    Daggerspell Stance (F): Wiz 2
    Swift. You gain +2 insight bonus on attack and damage if you make a full attack, SR 5 + caster level if you fight defensively, and DR 5/magic if you use the total defense action.

EDITL: no theres also Ice sheild wiz 4: DR 15/-

Which I will be using alot of, (also critical strike) at low lvls.

Deflect Wiz 2:
    is abjuration and grants CL/2 sheild bonus for one turn
    Since it's wizard 2, i can persist that, eventually, and unlike foxes cunniong it will be worth persisting.
    Till then, swift extened aburation FTW
    Last edited by oxinabox; 2009-10-02 at 01:02 AM.