New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default A Quick Ur-Priest Query [3.5]

I'm cooking up an Ur-Priest who will be doing a hefty amount of Divine Metamagic Persisting, and I came across the spell "Choose Destiny" from Races of Destiny. Now, I would snag this spell in a heartbeat and have it rocking all day, but I have to stop and ask:

It's a Domain-Specific spell. The Destiny Domain, to be exact. Does this still count as being on the cleric's class list, meaning that my Ur-Priest can cast it? Or, as I fear, is it stuck on a "Destiny Domainers Only" class list?

If it is only available with that domain, does anyone have any ideas on how I could grab it? My first thought was a Domain Draught from the MiC, but it sounds like those only work if you have domain spells (great for clerics, not so much for their godless cousins). Am I wrong? Does anyone have any other ideas?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A Quick Ur-Priest Query [3.5]

If it's only in the domain then it's not on the class list.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    I'm cooking up an Ur-Priest who will be doing a hefty amount of Divine Metamagic Persisting, and I came across the spell "Choose Destiny" from Races of Destiny. Now, I would snag this spell in a heartbeat and have it rocking all day, but I have to stop and ask:

It's a Domain-Specific spell. The Destiny Domain, to be exact. Does this still count as being on the cleric's class list, meaning that my Ur-Priest can cast it? Or, as I fear, is it stuck on a "Destiny Domainers Only" class list?

If it is only available with that domain, does anyone have any ideas on how I could grab it? My first thought was a Domain Draught from the MiC, but it sounds like those only work if you have domain spells (great for clerics, not so much for their godless cousins). Am I wrong? Does anyone have any other ideas?
    If it's a domain spell, you can't get it as an ur-priest. Sorry.
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

No, Domain Drought gives anyone a domain by my reading. But it only lasts for so long so it might get expensive to keep using them like a junkie.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Take a level in Contemplative, or any other cleric PrC that gives an unrestricted bonus domain.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

6. - Top - End - #6

Would Contemplative work? I'm having the same problem with it that I was having in my reading of Domain Draught: both mention that you can take the domain's spells as your <i>domain</i> spells when you prepare for the day. But an Ur-Priest doesn't have domain spells. Any other ideas?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Take a level in Contemplative, or any other cleric PrC that gives an unrestricted bonus domain.
    QFT

If you can spare a CL, take a gander at Warpriest for the Domination domain as well.

EDIT: Oh, wait, that is a spot of trouble. Just try arguing with your DM. I think maybe there's a feat in Complete Champion that allows partial domain spontaneity.
    Last edited by Foryn Gilnith; 2009-10-01 at 09:17 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Would Contemplative work? I'm having the same problem with it that I was having in my reading of Domain Draught: both mention that you can take the domain's spells as your <i>domain</i> spells when you prepare for the day. But an Ur-Priest doesn't have domain spells. Any other ideas?
    Read the section about bonus domains at the beginning of Complete Divine's PrC chapter. I'm pretty sure they specifically address the possibility of divine casters who don't have domains and how they benefit from PrCs that grant bonus domains. While I imagine this was intended for Druids, it should apply equally to Ur-Priests.

Edit: Here's the quote:
    If a noncleric enters a prestige class that allows access to a domain, the character still gains access to the domain. She can use the granted power bestowed by the domain normally. If she memorizes spells like a druid, paladin, or ranger, then she can simply choose to memorize one of that domain's spells instead of one of her usual spells, but never more than one domain spell of each level.
    So, yeah, take Contemplative.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2009-10-01 at 09:38 AM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Good luck having direct contact with a representative of your deity, what with not having a deity and all.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

So then he must meet nothing as he worships nothing. He better mediate to a Zen-state.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Technically, he still can since the special prerequisite for the class states the following:
    Must have had direct contact with one's patron deity or a direct servant of that deity, or with an enlightened being embodying the highest principles of an alignment (a solar for example).
    For example, if he were to meet a pit fiend and his Ur-Priest is LE, his character would be eligible for the contemplative PrC. Although that's just my personal interpretation of it.
    Credit goes to spectralphoenix for the sweet Ryu avatar.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Alternatively: sentient sphere of annihilation.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    So then he must meet nothing as he worships nothing. He better mediate to a Zen-state.
    Or, you no, something that isn't technically a deity. Like Serotous. Who gives access to every single domain in existence. And is an Elder Evil.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm...could you cast awaken construct on a sphere of annihilation? I smell epic campaign villain....

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

Its an item (an artifact item, no less), not a construct.

Animate Objects, then Awaken construct, would work if it wasn't for the fact that the spell works only on "nonmagical objects"

Tiamat has masqueraded as an intelligent, oversized sphere of annihilation though, calling itself Entropy.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2009-10-01 at 12:17 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    Hmm...could you cast awaken construct on a sphere of annihilation? I smell epic campaign villain....
    No, you can't. They are items, not constructs. There's all ready a sentient Sphere anyway, in the ELH.

17. - Top - End - #17

well, sentient thing that resembles a sphere anyway.

It grants a save against destruction on impact- the normal sphere does not.

The spell Sphere of Ultimate Destruction, from Spell Compendium, closely resembles it, again allowing a save.

Adding the Living Spell template (MM III) would create a living creature (ooze) that disintegrates things on contact if they fail their save, and the Sentry Ooze template (Dungeonscape) would give it an intelligence, albeit a low one (Int 2).
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2009-10-01 at 12:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

1. as an ur priest you are stealing powers from the gods. why couldn't you steal from the god that grants destiny domain (note: this might attract attention from said god and you should expect some consequenses)
    2. at some levels of ur priest you get the ability to steal spells from other people. if you can find a cleric under the effects of or casting choose destiny, then you should be able to steal it (and if quick enough persist it).

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Bagelz View Post
    1. as an ur priest you are stealing powers from the gods. why couldn't you steal from the god that grants destiny domain (note: this might attract attention from said god and you should expect some consequenses)
    2. at some levels of ur priest you get the ability to steal spells from other people. if you can find a cleric under the effects of or casting choose destiny, then you should be able to steal it (and if quick enough persist it).
    1: Because Domains are not on the Cleric's spell list, and Ur-Priest cannot cast spells that are not on the Cleric's spell list.

2: That ability is limited to SLAs only.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Adding the Living Spell template (MM III) would create a living creature (ooze) that disintegrates things on contact if they fail their save, and the Sentry Ooze template (Dungeonscape) would give it an intelligence, albeit a low one (Int 2).
    Once you have an Int at all, you're only a template or two away from a better Int score...I'm sure there must be a template that Oozes can take that increase Int out there somewhere...
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

21. - Top - End - #21

there is Paragon Creature (but that might be a bit much) and probably others.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Oozes can be Fiendish, and then you're at Int 3.

Technically, anything alive and corporeal can be a Half-Fey, and Fey can be Spellwarped, which gets you +4 Int.

The mechanics of breeding together a faerie and a Living Sphere Of Ultimate Destruction are left as an exercise for the reader.

23. - Top - End - #23

Simplest way of resolving it is:

"a wizard did it + it does not involve actual breeding, but magic- soaking the living spell in faerie energies confers the half-fey template on it"

Now since the template grants wings- that would mean a black ball with a couple of wings sticking out of it. A bit like an overgrown Snitch.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2009-10-01 at 01:37 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Thanks for your help, Playgrounders...I'm wondering if I can angle it that a Domain Draught will let me cast the spell, given that section in Complete Divine. I don't see why not.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post

Technically, anything alive and corporeal can be a Half-Fey, and Fey can be Spellwarped, which gets you +4 Int.

The mechanics of breeding together a faerie and a Living Sphere Of Ultimate Destruction are left as an exercise for the reader.
    it was love at first sight!
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post

Polymorph?