New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [3.5] Character Sheet

We all spend so much time staring at our character sheets that it's worth finding a good one. I'm not very experienced yet (I've played about 0.8 complete games, or six months), but I've been working on a design for character sheets that I think is an improvement on the defaults. I'd appreciate any slagging off constructive criticism you may have. If you're interested in contributing or modifying them, check out the project on Google Code.

Also, check out the nascent Pathfinder conversion of these.

Download hereFeatures
    • Combat-related details grouped on one side, for less page juggling
    • Class-specific pages for spells and special abilities, including extra space for potions and scrolls
    • Designed for multiclassing, with space for class details like hit die, skill ranks and class skills
    • Designed for higher levels, with space for up to 3 5 classes, 4 attacks, 5 6 9 protective items, 4 11 12 extra skills and 7 favoured enemies
    • Space for conditional modifiers on attack, saves, AC etc
    • Familiar / Animal companion sheet
    • Wild Shape sheet for druids
    • Party funds sheet, for those parties whose first thought on approaching the dread doors to an arcane temple is "Can we pinch the hinges?"
    • Use of soft gray rather than black so pencil stands out better
    • Consistent visual cues to draw attention to the important bits
    • Dungeon master sheets: Party summary, NPC
    • Psionic specific sheets: Psicrystal, psionic classes
    • British spelling

Classes
    To do - Done - Won't do

PHB1
    Bard
    Barbarian
    Cleric
    Druid

Fighter
    Monk
    Paladin
    Ranger

Rogue
    Sorceror
    Wizard

Complete Adventurer
    Ninja
    Scout
    Spellthief

Complete Arcane
    Warlock
    Warmage
    Wu Jen

Complete Divine
    Favoured Soul
    Shugenja
    Spirit Shaman

Complete Warrior
    Swashbuckler
    Hexblade
    Samurai

PHB2
    Beguiler
    Dragon Shaman
    Duskblade

Knight

Dungeonscape
    Factotum

Psionics Handbook
    Psion
    Psychic Warrior
    Soulknife
    Wilder

Complete Psionic
    Ardent
    Divine Mind
    Lurk

Heroes of Horror
    Archivist
    Dread Necromancer

Tome of Battle
    Crusader
    Swordsage
    Warblade
    Blank Martial Adept

Tome of Magic
    Binder
    Shadowcaster
    Truenamer

Magic of Incarnum
    Incarnate
    Soulborn
    Totemist

Eberron
    Artificer

Unearthed Arcana
    Totem Barbarian
    Bardic Sage
    Divine Bard
    Savage Bard
    Cloistered Cleric (see Extended Cleric)
    Druidic Avenger
    Thug
    Monk: Fighting Styles
    Paladin of Freedom/Slaughter/Tyrrany
    Planar Ranger
    Urban Ranger
    Wilderness Rogue
    Battle Sorcerer
    Domain Wizard

Other
    Extended Cleric
    Blank Spellcaster (Sorcerer-style)
    Blank Spellcaster (Wizard-style)
    Prestige Classes
    These will have to wait until after base classes.

Races of Destiny
    Chameleon
    Last edited by sadie; 2011-01-20 at 06:16 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: [3.5] Character Sheet

Purty! What did you use to make it?

I'm not a big fan of multipage sheets, but that's just personal preference. The only change I'd suggest is more checkboxes for prepared spells. I'd go up to three per spell.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Just had a veeery quick look.

Very nicely made, I like the alignment box, it's like a compass, and the lines to link each class to the skill list are a feature all sheets should have. :3

Needs more space for classes - builds often have more than 3.
    Needs more space for languages, since a high int + learning additional ones will quickly use up the space.
    Don't list sizes, just let the player write their size in, because players aren't restrained to the middle 4.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Since Max Dex only affects your Dex contribution to armor, it seems a little out of place to put it in with the rest of the abilities.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I can think of some skills whose final modifier should be duplicated on the combat sheet. Tumble, for instance. Bluff for feint.

I'd like to second the question of what you made this in.
    Last edited by Random832; 2009-10-01 at 11:58 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    Purty! What did you use to make it?

I'm not a big fan of multipage sheets, but that's just personal preference.
    It's made in Illustrator CS3, which means it's actually a whole slew of files that I stitch together at the last minute.

I prefer single sheets too, but there just isn't a way to get everything on one sheet being cramped - which is the major thing wrong with our current sheets. People who aren't experienced are overlooking powerful spells, potions, etc because there isn't space to make it clear.

So I compromised on two sheets, one of which is double-sided with features for every class, the other class-specific. Fighters, barbarians, monks and rogues can make do without the extra sheet.

Animal companions needed a separate sheet because they can die independently of their owners. Granted they probably shouldn't, but our party had a wolf squished against the walls of a corridor by a nasty trap, and several other close calls (the wolf's name was "sheep" in elven, prompting comments of "mutton dressed as laminate").

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
    Since Max Dex only affects your Dex contribution to armor, it seems a little out of place to put it in with the rest of the abilities.
    Really? See, I said I wasn't very experienced. That gives me a few extra mm to play with. I'll use them to expand on the temp fields.

More classes: check. Though there's a limit to how many columns of boxes I can have without it looking ugly. Is 4 enough? 5? Any more than 5 is gonna look really ugly.

More languages: check (added 2 more at the expense of inventory).

More checks per prepared spell: check. Does it also need a field to say how many copies of a spell you've prepared?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Here's another idea. How about item slots? This helps differentiate what's carried and equipped and it conveniently tells the player what slots are available.

I'm not sure if this is necessary, but I stole a nice representation of ac/touch/flat footed from another sheet I saw a while back. You can see it on the sheet I made a couple years ago (which is designed to look as much like the original as possible, but with added focus on skills and spaces for adding your own types of bonuses. It also shows the item slots mentioned above. Behold!
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

8. - Top - End - #8

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sadie View Post
    British spelling
    Well that's definitely an improvement.

Personally I rather like the max dex bonus next to your actual dex, where else are you going to put it? It would seem out of place near the armour section as well.
    Schrödinger cat? Schrödinger wizard? Schrödinger monk?
    What's next? Schrödinger equation? HΨ=EΨ? Seriously WTF?

The best summary of this board I've seen so far:
    Quote Originally Posted by Frigs View Post
    Giantitp: The only place you can turn a discussion on D&D Economics into an argument about toxic potatoes.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    ...with added focus on skills and spaces for adding your own types of bonuses....
    This may be characteristic of the way we've played so far, but I've found that I have a small number of fixed bonuses, but rather more conditional bonuses. Search +2 /stone, AC +4 /giants, Fortitude +2 / poisons etc. If you had a game with house rules that included extra modifers, I can see that design being useful. So I focused not on having lots of slots as on having open space in which to put conditional modifiers. Most calculations have a Misc field for extra.

I do like the symmetry of the three AC calculations. I shall have to try and squeeze a version of that in somehow, though I don't know how. Nobody really uses grapple do they?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

New version uploaded!

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix_of_Doom View Post
    Personally I rather like the max dex bonus next to your actual dex, where else are you going to put it? It would seem out of place near the armour section as well.
    The armour section is right next to the AC calculation, so if that max dex isn't used anywhere else then I don't think there needs to be a mirror on the other page. I've adjusted the field slightly to emphasise that relationship.

Are there any changes that need to be made to the class-specific features, like Turn Undead or Inspire Courage? What other classes do people most want me to add? I have reason to add a Factotum sheet at some point soon, and possibly a Hexblade.

Are there any skill-specific details I should include? Along the lines of Track, which adds some modifiers and conditions to the Survival skill, or Intimidate which has a size bonus.
    Last edited by sadie; 2009-10-01 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Added link

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Frankly, this is absolutely lovely. I'm deeply grateful!
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

It looks really great. I kind of wish I used printed sheets so that I could fill this out.

Five classes should usually be enough, and looks just right to me. Some builds use more, but most don't, and too many would, as you say, spoil the sheet.

The number of languages should hopefully be enough most of the time, so on those rare ocassions when it's not, people ca just write between the lines.
    Last edited by Myou; 2009-10-01 at 06:15 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

This seems great! Thanks for sharing. Few issues I'd see most of my characters having fitting on this:

I don't see a way to fit all the Knowledge-skills I need on these sheets; I often have ranks in 7-8 Knowledges (if only 1 in many to make trained checks) which simply exceeds the amount of space the sheet has. Add to that the Psionic skill set (here) along with the few other outliers from other sources and the skill space becomes insufficient (without overwriting some of the existing ones). I don't know if there's a good solution for this; of course it's possible to just type them on another sheet of paper or some such. Muddling up the present list to fit more empty slots doesn't seem optimal.

Same with languages, though that can be solved by typing multiples on the same line. Feats would also fall under this, with classes that gain many bonuses.

Finally, mayhap convert the "Protective Items"-slots to "Worn Items" to list all the slotted items the character is utilizing presently. There are 2xRing, 1xFeet, 1xArms, 1xHands, 1xHead, 1xFace, 1xThroat, 1xWaist, 1xTorso, 1xBody & 1xShoulders slots for a total of 12 different item slots, so it may be doable. I'd just imagine it could be convenient to list all the functional items in one place.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-10-01 at 06:16 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It's a bit deficient if you've got a Cleric with more than 2 domains. I prefer Cloistered Clerics, who start with 3. PrCs like Church Inquisitor add bonus domains, too.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Terrific work, especially integrating everything towards the Skill Section.

A few additions I might make is a single Craft: Blank and a single Knowledge: Blank already included (potentially Profession: Blank), with those four blank skills still available; a Cloistered Cleric or Archivist could easily need more space, maybe a Bard, too. Track could probably be removed to a single box to check on Survival itself. May include Autohypnosis and Martial Lore, simply because those are two important skills for a whole subset of classes.

Change "Racial Bonus" to be merely "Racial" and "Synergies" to "Synergy" because this area with the wording seems crowded. As well, the faint "Conditional Modifiers" above "Favored Enemy" and "Armor Check Penalty" seems unnecessary. Further, I don't believe the box for "Ranks to spend" will be used, and am uncertain what the small boxes to check are for.

On the Attack Section you may want to try and condense the BAB and Grapple section to be one area. Further, the iterative attacks and the range and such seems to be using a great deal of space to simply be restrictive. I have a Thri-Keen Dervish with thirteen attacks who uses power attack during a dance of death, and this generally means I need a good deal of simply unobstructed space for multiple variations of full attack routines with the dance, with certain levels of power attack, etc., and using a variety of weapons who may have additional damage modifiers.

Plus, I would enjoy seeing you apply the same variability you did with the Armor Class section to Damage Bonus with regards to Strength, including the 1.5x modifier for two-handed weapons, and Power Attack, including the 2.0x modifier for two-handed weapons, since those are quite common and offer more mapping on the sheet. May want to shift the Health Section to the top of this second sheet due to the importance, alongside Initiative. Other thought is a flight speed and maneuverability as this is common enough.

Seemingly minor note that I think is important is you have Initiative, Defense, Saving Throws, Grapple, and perhaps more seem to be reversed with how those are read. Most of us, I imagine, are used to reading the total value on the left. Notice with Skills, where despite being in the middle of the page the eye is drawn there with its placement in the section, and I think this just needs a flip, not necessarily rearranging to be to the left margin but of the section.

Sounds like a great deal of criticism, but honestly that is about the best I have seen for the whole level and skill section, especially. The rest just needs a slight bit of refinement to include the mapping done elsewhere on your sheets and I would probably be using those in an instant. Terrific work, again.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Suggestion, instead of having check marks next to each skill for each class you have it as a class skill, make it one check box, with a small write-in for those who actually want to keep track of which class they get it from. For most, I don't think there'll be a need to track every class that grants each skill. That'll clean it up some, I should think.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I really like it, a massive improvement over the traditional sheet, thank you
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

18. - Top - End - #18

SolithKnightGuy

This is awesome, just plain amazing.

Is there a chance you can make sheets for the martial adept or psionic classes?
    The accuracy of this post is questionable

The Endless Dungeon

The Neverending Dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

Renewal A fantasy/post-apocalyptic/new world setting WIP

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

New version! Note that only the main two pages have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vangor View Post
    the iterative attacks and the range and such seems to be using a great deal of space to simply be restrictive.
    Weird builds aside, isn't 4 attacks likely to be enough for most characters?

For the range, I find the conversion between ft and sq quite helpful, though it depends on your style of play - purely verbal, whiteboards, software, etc.

Track could probably be removed to a single box to check on Survival itself.
    Track has a required feat, racial/synergies and favoured enemy bonus that Survival doesn't, as well as conditional modifiers. I think that's enough to warrant a line.

I've managed to squeeze the skills section sufficient to turn 4 blank slots into 11. I hope that's enough.

Something to be aware of is that the tighter the layout gets, the more it will need to be printed (or zoomed in really close) in order to see properly. The overlapping boxes in the skill section don't look right on screen.

Plus, I would enjoy seeing you apply the same variability you did with the Armor Class section to Damage Bonus with regards to Strength, including the 1.5x modifier for two-handed weapons, and Power Attack, including the 2.0x modifier for two-handed weapons, since those are quite common and offer more mapping on the sheet.
    I'm not sure I understand. There isn't space to add a damage calculation line for each weapon. Are you suggesting a common melee damage bonus calculation?

you have Initiative, Defense, Saving Throws, Grapple, and perhaps more seem to be reversed with how those are read. Most of us, I imagine, are used to reading the total value on the left.
    Done. That's actually allowed me to use the stronger field headings for the primary fields, which works out nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Suggestion, instead of having check marks next to each skill for each class you have it as a class skill, make it one check box, with a small write-in for those who actually want to keep track of which class they get it from. For most, I don't think there'll be a need to track every class that grants each skill. That'll clean it up some, I should think.
    No, there is a need to know when levelling up whether your current class grants a class skill or not. Some DMs may be more forgiving than others, but I think having the data there is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lvl 1 sharnian View Post
    Is there a chance you can make sheets for the martial adept or psionic classes?
    I don't know much about those classes. What features would they have?

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    It's a bit deficient if you've got a Cleric with more than 2 domains. I prefer Cloistered Clerics, who start with 3. PrCs like Church Inquisitor add bonus domains, too.
    That sounds like a separate class sheet to me - Extended Cleric? Before doing that I'll pass the sheet along to our party's cleric and see what he makes of it.

I have a Thri-Keen Dervish with thirteen attacks who uses power attack during a dance of death, and this generally means I need a good deal of simply unobstructed space for multiple variations of full attack routines with the dance, with certain levels of power attack, etc., and using a variety of weapons who may have additional damage modifiers.

er

I think that might be out of my jurisdiction.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Excellent work, tagging this to watch for improvements.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

It looks pretty nice.

Under Defence, under size modifier, there is a x4 in there. I was wondering why?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

New version - applied the same changes to class sheets and the Animal Companion sheet. Does anybody want to pay particular attention to the Turn Undead box and tell me if it's more or less clear than before?

Somehow, I've managed to get this version from 3MB down to 1MB. I really have no idea how
    Out of paper on drive D:

Character Sheets for D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder | Download them both from Dyslexic Studeos

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Evil the Cat View Post
    Under Defence, under size modifier, there is a x4 in there. I was wondering why?
    Ahem. Well spotted. It's the grapple that gets 4x the size modifier. I knew that.
    Out of paper on drive D:

Character Sheets for D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder | Download them both from Dyslexic Studeos

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Excellent sheet, I've been looking for a good sheet to use ever since they took down Ema's sheets... And this one is great!

Spoiler: My Characters
    Show

Ivridda Stonefinder, cartographer and diviner
    Rhovarax "Paxan" Beerbelly, world class tavern brawler
    Gundahar, simple farmer gone berserk

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I'm not about to add pages for every single variant and prestige class out there, so can anybody think of a good generic way of supporting extra class features like this? Like a set of "extra feature" sheets that you can pick and choose from.... or something?
    Out of paper on drive D:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground

I'm not about to add pages for every single variant and prestige class out there, so can anybody think of a good generic way of supporting extra class features like this? Like a set of "extra feature" sheets that you can pick and choose from.... or something?
    Well, extra domains come in spades outside Core so just making room for few more Domains would seem like the best option (heck, Cloistered Cleric is in SRD which is almost core). Like, a class exists that grants a total of 10 bonus domains over 10 levels, and there are 5-6 other classes that grant bonus domains depending on the class's theme (Divine Oracle grants Oracle-domain, Church Inquisitor grants Inquisition-domain, etc.). Complete Divine alone has a lot of these.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice work!

Still looks like a tax form, though.
    I imagine that is a problem that cannot be easily remedied, as 3.5 demands that the character sheet is chock full of sheer data. Little room for decorations and such.

But still, this is one of the best 3.5 sheets I've seen. Nice work, once again!
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Here's a page of WotC character sheets for a number of classes, to help you add the other classes you've expressed an interest in adding.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...haractersheets

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

Incredibly well done.

But alignment always seemed more logic looking like:

CG NG LG
    CN N LN
    CE NE LE

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Weird builds aside, isn't 4 attacks likely to be enough for most characters?
    I'd get at least 5, for the sake of extra-attack effects like whirling frenzy or rapid shot. I'd also kind of like to see an extra line or two for weapons (i.e. Weapon, Weapon+1PowerAttack, Weapon+5PA, Weapon+FullPA, backup weapon, ranged) if you can manage to fit it in.

That sounds like a separate class sheet to me - Extended Cleric? Before doing that I'll pass the sheet along to our party's cleric and see what he makes of it.
    If you can fit an extra domain or two in, that should cover it. Granted, clerics are the most crammed page as it is...

I might suggest adding an extra bonus spell for all levels. It's difficult but far from impossible to get enough Int to get you a 4th 1st-level and a 2nd 9th-level for a wizard, for example, even core-only, and outside of core you have things like anthrobats that make it (ch)easy.

It should also be noted that it's (relatively) trivial to hit 10 spells per day of lower levels (and Rings of Wizardry really mess up this kind of table). I'd at least suggest shifting potions and scrolls around to add more room for lower-level spells. Again, the cleric page is looking rather packed...

Expand the turnings checks, 12 won't be enough for a lot of people.

Smite calculations might be nice (who it effects, times/day, attack bonus, damage bonus, and a place to list extra effects like daze, trips, etc, though this latter part might be getting too picky on my part ).

I'm wondering if it might not be better to somehow have a "Cleric + Paladin" sheet be the same sheet, with an extra sheet for a clerics high-level spells and domains. There's quite a bit of crossover (low-level spells, smiting, turn undead), and the paladin mount can just use the animal companion page.
    Last edited by lsfreak; 2009-10-02 at 03:08 PM.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.