Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Yet ANOTHER Mystic Theurge Fix (D&D 3.5)

Requirements
    Casting: CL 2 in an arcane and divine casting class and a CL 3 in the other class (divine or arcane) (Must be gained through actual levels. Practiced spellcaster DOES NOT CUT IT)
    Skills: Knowledge: Religion 7 ranks, Knowledge: Arcane 7 ranks, Spellcraft 8 Ranks

MYSTIC THEURGE
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Mingle Magic (Spell lvl 1)|+1 Divine & +1 Arcane

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Fuel to The Fire +1 (Spell lvl 2)|+1 Divine & +1 Arcane

3rd|
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Practiced Spellcaster|+1 Divine & +1 Arcane

4th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Mingle Magic (Spell lvl 2)|+1 Divine & +1 Arcane

5th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    ||+1 Divine & +1 Arcane

6th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +4
    |Fuel to The Fire +2 (Spell lvl 3)|+1 Divine & +1 Arcane

7th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    ||+1 Divine or +1 Arcane

8th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |Mingle Magic (Spell lvl 3)|+1 Divine & +1 Arcane

9th|
    +4
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |Fuel to The Fire +3 (Spell lvl 4)|+1 Divine & +1 Arcane

10th|
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    ||+1 Divine & +1 Arcane

11th|
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    ||+1 Divine & +1 Arcane

12th|
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +7
    |Mingle Magic (Spell lvl 4), Fuel to The Fire +4 (Spell lvl 5)|+1 Divine & +1 Arcane

13th|
    +6
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    ||+1 Divine & +1 Arcane

14th|
    +7
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    ||+1 Divine & +1 Arcane

15th|
    +7
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +9
    |Mingle Magic (Spell lvl 5), Fuel to The Fire +5 (Spell lvl 6)|+1 Divine & +1 Arcane[/table]

Mingle Magic
    A Mystic theurge is capable of intervining his trades
    A Mystic theurge can use an amount of spell slots equal to his intelligience/charisma modifier to prepare/cast spells of the other casting class. You may not use this on spells over the spell level limit. For example Joe a Cleric 2/Wizard 3/MT 4. Joe has an Int of 18. Thus Joe can use four cleric slots to prepare wizard spells or vice versa, but he cannot mingle spells of over lvl 2

Fuel to The Fire
    A Mystic Theurge can burn up a spell slot of a level equal to the metamagic price from the other casting class to fuel the metamagic of the otheer casting class. The base spell level you can fuel with this is marked in the table as is the max bonus you can substitute by using slot.
    For example you could cast a level 4 arcane spell with a +2 metamagic. Said spell would take a level 4 arcane slot and a level 2 divine slot.

Practiced Spellcaster
    You gain the Practiced Spellcaster feat for both your arcane and divine casting.

Needs more class features, but here is what I have now. It basically ends with the same amount of casting as the standard theurge, but now you can have maybe an Arcane 18/Divine 16 and you get class features!
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2009-10-03 at 04:35 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Yet ANOTHER Mystic Theurge Fix (D&D 3.5)

What do you mean by "equal to the metamagic price"? The spell slot increase? The new spell level?

Give them arcane casting in light armor, the major issue beyond lack of synergy.

Still not a power house, but I can see potential for Cha based arcane/Fixed Healer guy in some role other than a corpse.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I considered the light armor casting, but I don't think it's necessary. It's just something I don't think needs changing.
    I hope Fuel for The Fire is clearer now.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

What does "Class Ability" in the table refer to?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

What's the point in making a 15-level prestige class, other than tying it to the mystic theurge? Why not just make this a base class with both arcane and divine spellcasting?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Corm View Post
    What's the point in making a 15-level prestige class, other than tying it to the mystic theurge? Why not just make this a base class with both arcane and divine spellcasting?
    Agreed, actually. Or even, perhaps, a series of feats.

A Prestige Class is, in my mind, something that describes who you are, not what you do. This seems to be very solidly a "what-I-do" sort of class: I cast both Arcane and Divine spells. To me, that means it would serve the game better as feats or as a base class.

For example:

Theurgic Practice
    Prerequisites: Practiced Spellcaster, Ability to cast 2nd level spells from 2 different classes.
    Benefit: When calculating your spells known and spells per day, treat your total caster level in each spellcasting class as the sum of all your caster levels in that class plus one half of your caster levels in all other casting classes. For example, a Cleric 4/Wizard 6 would cast spells as an 8th level Wizard (6+2) and a 7th level Cleric (4+3).

Theurgic Metamagic
    Prerequisites: Practiced Spellcaster, Theurgic Practice, any 2 metamagic feats.
    Benefit: Once per round, by sacrificing a spell slot from one of your caster classes, you may, as a free action, apply a metamagic feat you know to a spell you cast from one of your other classes without increasing the casting time. The spell sacrificed must be of a level equal to or higher than the level adjustment of the metamagic feat applied. For example, a Cleric 4/Wizard 6 could sacrifice bless, a 1st level Cleric spell, to turn her 3rd level Wizard spell fireball into an empowered fireball. The new spell would still use up a 3rd level spell slot.
    Last edited by Djinn_in_Tonic; 2009-10-02 at 03:59 PM.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Corm View Post
    It has to be a 15-level PrC so that it can tide a double-sided caster from 5 to 20 without losing another caster level on either side.

As for the "what you are not what you do" issue... Doing magic IS what you are. Mind you, it's also the reason that my MT fix was called Mage Priest, and was tied to the Cleric class specifically. It also factored into why I later made a close to identical class for Favoured Soul/Sorcerers, the Chosen Sorcerer.

I guess MT would make a better base class than a PrC, but we'd need to calculate a whole spell list and new spell progression and everything, or it would kick Wizard & Cleric's arses until 6th level and still give 5 Wizard/15 Broken Spellcasting PrC Combo a run for his money.
    Last edited by Omegonthesane; 2009-10-02 at 04:59 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

The alternative to the 15-level progression is a capstone that gives you dual progression on any level where you'd normally gain single progression. I did this with my Cerebremancer. My Cerebremancer also loses more spellcasting levels during its own progression, though (ending up -2/-6 if you take full-progression after the capstone, which is still quite better than -3/-7 of normal theurges).