New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/3 elf? [3.5]

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default 1/3 elf? [3.5]

okay, I like to have a family tree of my characters (when possible) and my current character (a half drow) will be having an off spring soon. Would I take the Half- Drow race again or what?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: 1/3 elf? [3.5]

Biologically, it's 1/4 drow, but I believe in D&D terms (at least for half-elves, I assume drow work the same way) the PHB explicitly mentions that a half-elf's children can also be considered half-elves.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, there is a way to be a 1/3 elf. The details are against the forum's rules, however.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Actually, there is a way to be a 1/3 elf. The details are against the forum's rules, however.
    I'm confused

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    I can think up 6, two of which involve evisceration. Half of those involve cooking.
    Last edited by Sinfire Titan; 2009-10-03 at 11:14 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well enough generations will bring about any % elf you want. Start with half and mate with full then you get 75 now mate with human you get 37.5 elf so thats almost 1/3 but then mate with full to get 87.5 then with human for 42.75 then human for 21.375 then elf for 71.375 then human for 35.6875 and now your within a few percentages of being a 1/3 elf. Keep repeating and eventuall you will be so close to 1/3 elf that the difference is moot.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Xenogears View Post
    Well enough generations will bring about any % elf you want. Start with half and mate with full then you get 75 now mate with human you get 37.5 elf so thats almost 1/3 but then mate with full to get 87.5 then with human for 42.75 then human for 21.375 then elf for 71.375 then human for 35.6875 and now your within a few percentages of being a 1/3 elf. Keep repeating and eventuall you will be so close to 1/3 elf that the difference is moot.
    Assuming that "elf' is a traditional Mendelian trait, as opposed to something more interesting.

God help you if its linked.
    Last edited by Arundel; 2009-10-03 at 11:22 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

And of course, we have to assume that there are multiple genes without a tendency towards repressive or dominant overall.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

This thread made me think of Gilgamesh, who's 2/3 divine, and Enkidu, who's 2/3 animal. Just throwing that out there.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Colony character: Derek Johnson (retired)
    2e anybody? character: Maksil (retired)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

The degree to which elven nature manifests is actually determined by tiny symbiotic creatures in the bloodstream, very similar to bacteria.
    Generally these are referred to as Midotolkiens.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-10-03 at 11:29 PM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Arundel View Post
    Assuming that "elf' is a traditional Mendelian trait, as opposed to something more interesting.

God help you if its linked.
    Well since we know for a fact that in DnD if you get one elf parent and one human you get the exact same mix of traits each time I think my analysis of how multiple generations of mixed elvishness wrok is pretty accurate. The fact that neither me nor WotC know terribly much more about genes than a high school bio course teaches you is irrelevent since the DnD elf does not work that way...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xenogears View Post
    since the DnD elf does not work that way...
    morbo.jpg
    Elves do not work that way!
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Colony character: Derek Johnson (retired)
    2e anybody? character: Maksil (retired)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

You can get some pretty creative mixes... 1/3 is not one of them...

For example, a 1/2 half (4/8) and a 1/4 half (2/8) can have a child, which will be the average, aka 3/8th elf.
    The bottom number must always be a 2^n.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by infinitypanda View Post
    This thread made me think of Gilgamesh, who's 2/3 divine, and Enkidu, who's 2/3 animal. Just throwing that out there.
    Duke Lion? He's the son of man and god and lion...

15. - Top - End - #15

In my setting all of the Players arte part everything (one big interbred soup)
    most NPC's are mongrel folk, but the PC's and others are Though backs.
    vaguely, mummy and daddy were halfelves, I'm human, my brother is an elf, and my two sisters are halfelves.
    but not quiet, since mulitiple multiple genes, have ever an appoximate throw back isn't impossible

Can you do something with templates?
    I'm sure someone made a full set of templates for Halfelf etc.
    there was an artical complaining about how they should have been implimented that way
    There is nothing on earth that we share; it is either Valjean or Javert!

"A wizard can in fact be thought of the custodian to a familiar, a terrifying beast that charges its foes, slashing them to shreds while delivering their master's touch spells and bestowing upon their masters incredible bonuses to their hp or skill checks. A wizard is nearly powerless without one."

Need to find a God? or Spell or Feat?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

In theory, you could create an approximately 1/3rd elf by combining a particular set of crosses between humans, elves and their offspring.

The resulting phenotype would probably vary.
    Last edited by lesser_minion; 2009-10-04 at 04:42 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Froogleyboy View Post
    okay, I like to have a family tree of my characters (when possible) and my current character (a half drow) will be having an off spring soon. Would I take the Half- Drow race again or what?
    Punnett Square of statistical phenotypes, as well as those related to roleplaying or potential social reaction. This is assuming, of course, certain traits are not linked or do not possess redundancies which can express themselves equivalently. Now, throw scatter dice on the Square to determine phenotype.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

The easy solution is, that every character with less than 25% or more than 75% elves (or humans) among his ancestors is a half-elf.
    For half-elf or half-drow, I would count the number of drow and non-drow elves, and see which number is larger. That's the elf half of the character.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    You can get some pretty creative mixes... 1/3 is not one of them...

For example, a 1/2 half (4/8) and a 1/4 half (2/8) can have a child, which will be the average, aka 3/8th elf.
    The bottom number must always be a 2^n.
    This. Any time you are messing with genetics you have to have the bottom of the fraction be a 2^n.

However, this is for genetics with two parents. You can look at it very different if you say have a race of elves that emerge from nature spontaneously, or are basically the offspring of a single tree. Now you can add fluff that the tree can absorb some human genetics and make a mix there, which could be anything even 1/3rd because it is all internally determined also probably magical so it does not have to make sense.

A way to get a 1/3 is perhaps elves, the "normal" way is have elves that cannot procreate with one other person but needs to be a part of a couple. Basically they give their genetic material in a threesome. Donno just throwing ideas out there.
    "In those halcyon days I believed that the source of enigma was stupidity. Then the other evening in the periscope I decided that the most terrible enigmas are hose that mask themselves as madness. But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth." -Casaubon, Foucault's Pendulum
    LGBTitP

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I think they figured out the answer to this in the 1930s...

that aside: the way to do this is not to count ancestors or stack templates. It's to allow anyone with a drop of elvish and a drop of human blood to choose* half-elf if desired, and otherwise count as an ordinary elf or human.

*chosen by the player or DM, not by the character.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

A Human father, Elf mother and the Half Golem template?

1/3 Human + 1/3 Elf + 1/3 Half-Golem?

That's as close as 1/3rd elf as I can get.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Who is your half-drow mating with? The old FR rule was:

Human + Elf = Half-elf
    Half-elf + Human = Human
    Half-elf + Elf = Elf
    Half-elf + Half-elf = Half-elf.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Dragon #328 apparently had a "Quarter Elf" flaw:
    http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-...uarter_Elf,all

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post

nah, that'd be more like 1/4 Human + 1/4 Elf + 1/2 Golem
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Try breeding a 1/4 elf plus a half elf. That'll actually make a 3/8 elf, but it's close enough to 1/3.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroNumerous View Post

First I was thinking of Gilgamesh, now I'm thinking of Zelgadis from Slayers (who was transformed into a 1/3 human 1/3 golem 1/3 demon with pointed ears).

There's a flaw in an issue of Dragon called Quarter-Elf. A half-elf who takes it loses some of his racial traits. Since each flaw gives you an extra feat, it also emulates the human bonus feat. If your DM is feeling generous he might decide that it doesn't count against your normal limit of two flaws.
    EDIT: Here it is
    Last edited by Prime32; 2009-10-04 at 12:04 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ostien View Post
    This. Any time you are messing with genetics you have to have the bottom of the fraction be a 2^n.

However, this is for genetics with two parents. You can look at it very different if you say have a race of elves that emerge from nature spontaneously, or are basically the offspring of a single tree. Now you can add fluff that the tree can absorb some human genetics and make a mix there, which could be anything even 1/3rd because it is all internally determined also probably magical so it does not have to make sense.

A way to get a 1/3 is perhaps elves, the "normal" way is have elves that cannot procreate with one other person but needs to be a part of a couple. Basically they give their genetic material in a threesome. Donno just throwing ideas out there.
    I actually DID think about the possibility... Although mine was a more straight forward "two humans had sex with an elf and she got pregnant from both, because elves are magical"...

However, I did not want to assume that in his world thats how things work, he probably just made a mistake I thought to myself, and has normal breeding rules. And probably has a 3/8th elf or something.
    Last edited by taltamir; 2009-10-04 at 02:29 PM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, what, people want realistic genetic behaviour in the crossbreeding of humans and a race created from the blood of a god?

Nevermind 1/3 elves, someone figure out 2/3 elves.

(There needs to be a three-quarter elf trait to go with that quarter-elf flaw.)
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    I actually DID think about the possibility... Although mine was a more straight forward "two humans had sex with an elf and she got pregnant from both, because elves are magical"...
    Some authors do favour the "fathered by two people simultaneously" method.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

People, people, people, we're missing the obvious answer here.

Polymorph.
    Any.
    Object.

Done and done, and it only took arguably the most abusive spell in the game. Wasn't that fun?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~