New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default [4e] Maximizing Dragonborn Breath Damage types

In todays Ampersand, a Paragon Path called the Nine-Fold Master was unveiled. The parts that relate to this thread are:

Prerequisite: Dragonborn, any arcane class, Draconic Spellcaster.

[Note: The following is green, therefore an at-will. I added the At-will part in since it wasn't in the preview]
    Countering Breath Ninefold Master Utility 12
    As your foe unleashes a blast of elemental power, you release your own, subtly altering your draconic breath to negate your enemy’s attack.
    [At-Will - ] Arcane
    Immediate Interrupt; Close blast 3
    Trigger: An enemy targets you with a close or area attack that deals a damage type you can deal with dragon breath
    Effect: Your space and the blast are not considered part of the triggering attack’s area of effect.
    So, this power, being an at-will, is Insanely useful. And the more damage types you can block the better.

Build Specifications:
    Class: Sorcerer if possible (To synergize with some other stuff). Bard if we need multiple multiclasses.
    Race: Revenant (Dragonborn), this allows us to get Necrotic and one other.

Multiclass Paladin: Get the Radiant Breath Feat. We now have Necrotic, Radiant, and one other.
    Get the Adaptable Breath feat: We now have Necrotic, Radiant, and Two others.
    And thats as far as I can get currently, blocking 3 common damage types, and 1 uncommon one. This leaves you being unable to block: Three of Poison, Fire, Cold, Acid, Lightning; Thunder; Psychic; Force; Untyped. So thats 7/11 unblocked still. Anyone able to do better?

--
    With a variant such as gestalt you can get one more by taking Scion Of Arkhosia.
    Last edited by Gralamin; 2009-10-05 at 04:35 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: [4e] Maximizing Dragonborn Breath Damage types

You can take Adaptable breath as many times as you want, though it is a rather heavy feat investment for so little a benefit...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    You can take Adaptable breath as many times as you want, though it is a rather heavy feat investment for so little a benefit...
    I must of missed that. Alright, thats Everything but Thunder, Psychic, Force, and Untyped that can be blocked. And yes, this isn't meant to be playable necessarily, just "I can stop almost everything"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Akunal background: You gain resist 2 cold, resist 2 fire, and resist 2 thunder (or your existing resistance to these damages types increases by 2).

That doesn't block it out BUT I mean... free resist for those! Other than what you posted I don't see any way to top... Good job
    Whale by Darwin, who understands the importance of detail and realism. Whales need air after-all.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

During the inauguration of an emperor where the "party" was framed for his assassination.

My Somniletum

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Interesting. Would Expanded Breath work on that, or is that strictly the Dragon's Breath power?

It's a big feat investment, sure, but getting to say "no, and not my party either" to an area effect every round seems like it would be brutal against enemy Controllers, since many of their effects have an elemental component.
    Last edited by Guancyto; 2009-10-05 at 07:43 PM.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geesi View Post
    Interesting. Would Expanded Breath work on that, or is that strictly the Dragon's Breath power?

It's a big feat investment, sure, but getting to say "no, and not my party either" to an area effect every round seems like it would be brutal against enemy Controllers, since many of their effects have an elemental component.
    Thats strictly the Dragonbreath power. And While its an interesting build, it uses way too many feats to be too competent. It won't suck, but its main contribution would be stopping large amounts of powers from working on the party, which can be very boring to play. Might make an interesting Companion character though.