New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Creepy templates 3.5

I'm running a game where the PCs are going to run into a drow transmuter/necromancer type character. So I am planning on making a bunch of fun messed up monsters. I'm looking for templates (homebrewed or otherwise) that are just plain Lovecraftian.

Ones like the broken, by the Vorpal Tribble.

Any templates or even base creatures worth noting beyond the MM1-MM4 would be appreciated.
    Last edited by BobVosh; 2009-10-09 at 04:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Creepy templates

Lords of Madness has Pseudonatural and Half-Farspawn, which are definitely Lovecraftian. Half Farspawn have the ability to morph into tentacle monsters.

For Base Creatures:

There's also a new race that's exclusive to LOM called the Tsochar, which are tentacle-like creatures that look soft and squishy but are actually as tough as steel cable. They entangle themselves together as adults and possess other creatures by literally slipping their tendrils in between the victim's organs.

Eberron's Daelkyr have spawned more than a few creepy critters:
    -Dolgaunts (ECS) (eyeless, bloodsucking hobgoblin mutants with tentacles)
    -Dolgrims (ECS) (two goblins mashed together into one body)
    -Dolghasts (Magic of Eberron) (aberrations made of the flesh of both dead and living regenerating creatures that constantly boil and shift between their components; they can boil away the flesh of their victims with their claws)
    -The Daelkyr themselves are pretty nightmarish lords of madness, but they're CR 20 apiece.

There are also some undead from Magic of Eberron who are rather creepy:
    -Urdark: Ghostly faceless child made from the psyche of a psychotic dead person. Giggles unsettlingly.
    -Vour: Undead altered with aberrant tissue; limbs replaced with tentacles. The moment they're created, they rip off their own faces and eat them. They also lovingly peel off the faces of their victims.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Creepy templates 3.5

Oh thats an excellent point. Looking for around a CR 10 a pop.
    Both of the ghosts are pretty cool. Odd that they both do the faceless thing, but makes em easy to run together.

Oh ya, I remember the Tsochar. Tentacles and I have a history ever since my alchemical combined hyper dexterous tentacle apparatus with 1000-fold courtesan calculations. I created the martial art style named "La Blue Girl."

Anyway. Dolghasts sound promising. Need to find my eberron stuff apparently.
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Check out the Voor, from MM4. It doesn't seem creepy at first, til you really think about it. It's a blind wall-crawling tentacle monster that can hear your heartbeat from 30 paces, and ventilate you from the same range, all in the dark without making a sound. That just HAS to be bad for you.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Alhoon in the MMV, IIRC, are very undeady and very tentacley. They are essentially undead mind flayers, and very badass in that role. Perfect undead aberration overlords for any "take over the world" plot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Chameleonic (FR:Underdark) is pretty creepy...grants the recipient a climb speed, colour-shifting skin and a 10ft tongue
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

7. - Top - End - #7

Does being ignored by all deities count as creepy?

If so, I recommend That God Never Saw. One of my favorite bits of homebrew.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I really like that template. Can't help but notice it is Vorpal Tribble again. Going to search for more homebrew by him.

Chameleonic sounds like that critter from resident evil. Could be fun.

Alhoon will work very well for a later section of the campaign, amusingly enough. Maybe a cameo would help.

Thanks for the help so far, keep em coming if you got em.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

Depending on how inspired you feel, you could always just use some old templates with a fair bit if powers (like the Half-whathaveyous in MM1) and simply give them new appearance descriptions. Beyond what has been mentioned, I can't remember much that's terrifying by default, so you might have to resort to doing something like this if you want a wide variety of outright Cthulhu-spawned horrors.
    Duuuude. I just, like, totally divided by zero!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    I really like that template. Can't help but notice it is Vorpal Tribble again. Going to search for more homebrew by him.
    I just have it all printed out and filed after The Demented One and Krimm Blackleaf. As for a really good creepy template... Well, I guess I can pull from my fourth party reservoir and recommend the Tentacled template from the Guide to Unlawful Carnal Knowledge. Don't... don't look too much into that. It's exactly what it implies. I wish I had my 3rd party stuff on templates to give you a better recommendation, but alas, they are away from me at present. I'll be back with a bit more later.
    Last edited by The Tygre; 2009-10-09 at 10:41 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Demented One
    Krimm_Blackleaf
    The Vorpal Tribble
    Just in case anyone is looking for their compendiums.

I gotta say some brilliant work is done by these three. Haven't found anything I dislike.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I think my party would rebel if I have a minimum of a cr 16.25 critter running around.

Although it would be funny to tell the barbarian who is attacking "your attack doesn't hurt the cat."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Some creepy ones.
    Swarmshifter from LM. Lets them turn into a swarm of bats, rats, scarabs, sand, blood... Those last two can be pretty creepy. undead only template FYI.
    Yellow musk creeper and its template (FF) are kinda creepy
    Then theres Half Golem (MM2) and if you want an UBER critter theres also the titanic template from the same book

He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    — Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

My characters
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    I think my party would rebel if I have a minimum of a cr 16.25 critter running around.

Although it would be funny to tell the barbarian who is attacking "your attack doesn't hurt the cat."
    Yeah, don't use the EPIC pseudonatural template found in the SRD. Use the one from Lords of Madness. Although I think I need to use "EPIC pseudonatural kitty" in a game someday.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Just stack random templates :)

Half-Fiend Insectile Giant wielding 3 spiked chains. For added fin throw on another head so it gets iteratives with all of the weapons

Actually, Reptilian and Insectile are good over all :D And pretty much all other SS templates

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Aberrant, Deep One, Wretched, and Mindbender templates (all from the Book of Templates Deluxe Edition) are created with creepy in mind. You might also find the Terror Vampire and Necrovore from the same book useful as well, at least if you want some undead themes mixed in.
    Last edited by Rappy; 2009-10-10 at 07:51 PM.
    LGBTitP

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Call of Cthulu has a lower CR worm that walks template

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Lichloved. [/thread]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

The Psuedonatural Template is creepy. Especially with the picture they show in the lords of madness. That Hippogryph just looks so freaky.
    "No extra charge!"

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Lichloved. [/thread]
    Silly Zeta Kai, that's a feat.

...but I agree on the
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.