New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default 4E I kinda need help

Hello, I'm having some problems in understanding some of the basic mechanics of the 4E about the use of Weapons.

My question is about weapon finesse. A rogue that will use light blades can use his dexterity to hit with it?

I'm sorry if that's a silly question. And I thank you for any help about the matter.
    Last edited by Mugen Nightgale; 2009-10-09 at 09:17 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: 4E I kinda need help

1. You always add half your level and your weapon prof bonus if there's a weapon keyword in the power.

2. There is no weapon finesse in 4e

Did you read the manual? More specifically, the section before the class descriptions.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Any attack that has the "weapon" descriptor will use the proficiency bonus to-hit. "Strength" tells you which attribute bonus is being used as well. And don't forget your "half level" bonus to hit as well.

So, for example, a Fighter using Cleave with a long sword, at level two, will have a hit bonus of 4+Str (3 for longsword, 1 for half level).
    Halbert's Cubicle - Wherein I write about gaming and . . . you know . . . stuff.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

So, the basic attack action with melee weapons use strength, unless you have the "melee training" feat (which lets you use any attribute you want).

Rogue powers are not the basic attack action -- they all use dex to attack with.

Each power says how you attack with it in the Attack line.

Powers with the Weapon keyword get a bonus to the attack roll equal to the weapon proficiency bonus, and the weapon enhancement bonus (enchanted weapons).

When you make an attack, you always add 1/2 your level (rounded down) to your attack roll.

So a weapon power that reads:
    Attack: Int vs Will
    would mean you roll:
    Int Bonus + 1/2 Level + Weapon Proficiency Bonus + Weapon Enhancement Bonus + d20 vs target number of the defender's Will.

Powers that have the Implement keyword instead add the enhancement bonus of the implement you are using (which doesn't apply to most rogue powers).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Oh, thank you very much people. And sorry for the trouble. =]

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    When you make an attack, you always add 1/2 your level (rounded down) to your attack roll.
    For powers, yes. Certain items make an exception to this, notably alchemical stuff.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    So, the basic attack action with melee weapons use strength, unless you have the "melee training" feat (which lets you use any attribute you want).

Rogue powers are not the basic attack action -- they all use dex to attack with.
    Notes on this (otherwise correct) post:

Melee Training is in PHB2. If you don't have DDI or PHB2, get it. Now.

In general, class-given powers are not basic attacks. However, some powers will state that they count as melee or ranged basic attacks, and some feats allow conversion of powers into basic attacks. These abilities are often sought after for the purpose of combining them with classes such as the Warlord, whose best At-Will is telling the guy with the giant axe to make a basic attack, and the Seeker (PHB3), who can make a basic ranged attack once an encounter when he misses.