New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Ways of Getting Fighter Feats...

Other than taking levels of fighter, how can you get fighter feats? Specifically, Dragoon-esque ones, like Leap Attack, Shock Trooper, etc. I know heroism gets one, mirror move can get a bunch, with a favorable ruling, and the blank spot is weapon enchants that give feats.

Also, how can I get Swift Hunter appended to something other than Ranger levels on the ranger side? As in, if I take Foe Hunter to qualify using say, Eldritch Knight, is there a way to squeeze more than 13 levels of Skirmish out of that? The ultimate build is a swift hunter with dragoon capability, that also gets 9th level spells (using Ur-Priest, Prestige Paladin, Sword of the Arcane Order, and the nonevil adaptation of UP to roll it together).
    "I live apart from you
    But I know the things you do
    No angel can save you, how?
    You don't need a god, 'cause I'm here now."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Ways of Getting Fighter Feats...

The Bloodstorm Blade Prc from Tome of Battle gets Bonus Fighter feats.
    The Ordained Champion from Complete Champion has the option to sacrifice his domain granted powers for fighter feats as well.

As for the second question: not that I know of.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    The Bloodstorm Blade Prc from Tome of Battle gets Bonus Fighter feats.
    The Ordained Champion from Complete Champion has the option to sacrifice his domain granted powers for fighter feats as well.

As for the second question: not that I know of.
    Hmm...hadn't thought about using divine. What's the casting progression on OC? Though this character REALLY benefits from Travel Devotion, Knowledge Devotion, etc. Free move and free +to hit and damage is nice.
    "I live apart from you

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I remember a Ranger ACF that gained feats instead of spellcasting. Not sure if their are Fighter Feats though.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by KellKheraptis View Post
    Hmm...hadn't thought about using divine. What's the casting progression on OC? Though this character REALLY benefits from Travel Devotion, Knowledge Devotion, etc. Free move and free +to hit and damage is nice.
    3/5ths, 5 level class. Full BAB, really good class features.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    3/5ths, 5 level class. Full BAB, really good class features.
    Hey Sin, you might have seen this little thought exercise on BG. The problem is that Arcane Archer 2 and Scout 3 (minimum needed to abuse AA and still get Swift Hunter) requires 2 too many levels to go straight wizard.

Is there a way to get Imbue Arrow as a feat/item/spell? I.e. firing an AMF with an arrow?
    "I live apart from you

7. - Top - End - #7

Hey Sin, you might have seen this little thought exercise on BG. The problem is that Arcane Archer 2 and Scout 3 (minimum needed to abuse AA and still get Swift Hunter) requires 2 too many levels to go straight wizard.

Is there a way to get Imbue Arrow as a feat/item/spell? I.e. firing an AMF with an arrow?
    The Mystic Ranger variant may be able to enter AA. The spell selection is pretty good.

Adapting AA to Divine casting, and using the PF variant (as much as I dislike PF in general) could also work if you go Cleric/Prestige Ranger (which also qualifies you for Swift Hunter).

I think it would go Scout 4/Cloistered Cleric 4 (Knowledge, Travel, Plant)/Prestige Ranger 5/Adapted PF AA 2/Reflavored Ordained Champion 5 (or P. Ranger 5).

If you want some Arcane spells in there, replace Cloistered Cleric with Archivist.

Edit: As for firing an AMF with an arrow without AA levels, a Legacy Bow can pull that off if you go Custom.
    Last edited by Sinfire Titan; 2009-10-10 at 06:04 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

You could go Ranger 4/Scout 3 and take the Sword of the Arcane Order feat. Has the added benefit of stacking your Wizard levels with your Ranger levels to determine your casting.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    The Mystic Ranger variant may be able to enter AA. The spell selection is pretty good.

Adapting AA to Divine casting, and using the PF variant (as much as I dislike PF in general) could also work if you go Cleric/Prestige Ranger (which also qualifies you for Swift Hunter).

I think it would go Scout 4/Cloistered Cleric 4 (Knowledge, Travel, Plant)/Prestige Ranger 5/Adapted PF AA 2/Reflavored Ordained Champion 5 (or P. Ranger 5).

If you want some Arcane spells in there, replace Cloistered Cleric with Archivist.

Edit: As for firing an AMF with an arrow without AA levels, a Legacy Bow can pull that off if you go Custom.
    Hmm...Mystic Ranger runs into the problem of either needing trickery to get 9th level spells or needing Sublime Chord. At least 6 levels are needed for 3rd level spells (and we need those feats for both AA and Dragoonery, so Sanctum Spell isn't really an option) to get into SC, and a level of Bard for the rest of the prereq's.

Is there a way to get Skirmish without scout levels, and still qualify for Swift Hunter? The +1 AC part is the only sticking part.
    "I live apart from you

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    You could go Ranger 4/Scout 3 and take the Sword of the Arcane Order feat. Has the added benefit of stacking your Wizard levels with your Ranger levels to determine your casting.
    I thought it was only CL. If it indeed does stack "casting" as in casting progression, problem solved. And in a very sick way, as MR is superior in every way to Wizard if it gets 9th level spells from the Sor/Wiz list.
    "I live apart from you

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

You could always be a arcane caster and use the spell Heroics from Spell Compendium. If you manage to use permency, or gain a way to make them last indefinatly or near so, then you can pretty much ditch fighters entiraly. Though you might want to use a combination Enlarge/ironskin or something for defense/haste/tensers transformation with it all. Sure its quite a few spells, but properly equiped you'll make a fighter cry.
    You live in your world and I'll live in mine. Invade my world and I'll go medieval on your subconscious tookus.

Do not mistake my inaction for fear or doubt, if I desire you to hang yourself by your own rope why should I hasten the inevitable?

Do not underestimate me, for I have not underestimated you...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Korivan View Post
    You could always be a arcane caster and use the spell Heroics from Spell Compendium. If you manage to use permency, or gain a way to make them last indefinatly or near so, then you can pretty much ditch fighters entiraly. Though you might want to use a combination Enlarge/ironskin or something for defense/haste/tensers transformation with it all. Sure its quite a few spells, but properly equiped you'll make a fighter cry.
    I'm trying to avoid that, as it still doesn't fulfill the swift hunter arcane archer dragoon goal. Besides, if I want arbitrary feats, I'll kick my familiar 10 feet away every round for a free feat per round instantaneously from DCFS.
    "I live apart from you

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sword of the Arcane Order
    If you also have levels in wizard, your wizard caster level is treated as the sum of your wizard, paladin, and ranger class levels.
    (emphasis added)

"Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Cedrass View Post
    I remember a Ranger ACF that gained feats instead of spellcasting. Not sure if their are Fighter Feats though.
    Complete warrior I believe, and yes, it's fighter feats.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dixieboy View Post
    Complete warrior I believe, and yes, it's fighter feats.
    Complete Champion.

16. - Top - End - #16

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Complete Champion.
    Close.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Is that one of the variants that doesn't get spells? I.e. trade ranger spells for Fighter bonus feats?
    "I live apart from you

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Cedrass View Post
    I think it was mentioned.

Then it was quoted, enough times so that you have no excuse.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

How about an eternal wand?

20. - Top - End - #20

BlueKnightGuy

I'm trying to avoid that, as it still doesn't fulfill the swift hunter arcane archer dragoon goal. Besides, if I want arbitrary feats, I'll kick my familiar 10 feet away every round for a free feat per round instantaneously from DCFS.
    Whats DCFS?

And yes, eternal wands are nice. But its up to the DM to determine if the wands let you cast Heroics, or Heroics(insert feat name here). The latter a little more limited.
    You live in your world and I'll live in mine. Invade my world and I'll go medieval on your subconscious tookus.

Do not mistake my inaction for fear or doubt, if I desire you to hang yourself by your own rope why should I hasten the inevitable?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Whats DCFS?

And yes, eternal wands are nice. But its up to the DM to determine if the wands let you cast Heroics, or Heroics(insert feat name here). The latter a little more limited.
    Um, if it's of the requisite level and spell type, that is NOT DM fiat. Furthermore, DCFS=Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle.
    "I live apart from you

22. - Top - End - #22

BlueKnightGuy

Um, if it's of the requisite level and spell type, that is NOT DM fiat.
    Everything is up to the DM sadly. Just depends on the DM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

There's the Feat Rogue variant.

24. - Top - End - #24

RogueGuy

Other than taking levels of fighter, how can you get fighter feats? Specifically, Dragoon-esque ones, like Leap Attack
    Leap Attack isn't a "Fighter Feat", oddly enough. That is, you can't use a fighter bonus feat to take Leap Attack for some impressively odd reason.

It's a fine feat for a Fighter, though.

Another way to get Fighter Bonus Feats is to take a level of Wizard. There's a variant in UA, I believe, that gives you fighter feats instead of wizard feats at 1st, 5th, 10th , 15th and 20th level.
    Last edited by Thespianus; 2009-10-11 at 01:19 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...p?topic=2546.0
    section Bonus Feats - (selectable)