New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default How many characters would put on this Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity?

I was thinking as a joke put a Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity but with some bonus for level group of level 4 of non existent players. It would have +2 Str and +1 Luck to Damage and Attack.

So I'm wondering if anyone have characters that would use it?

For casters would they put on +2 ability bonus revelation caster stat and +1 DC to spells?

Note this for D&D 3.5. and 50% rp game...
    Last edited by Akisa; 2009-10-12 at 11:40 AM.
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: How many characters would put on this Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity?

I would totally do that, and crack up the game so badly by talking in falsetto and winking flirtatiously at all of the DM's NPCs (and thus, at the DM) that I'd quickly get buried under a sudden falll of rocks plummeting from the clear blue sky.

3. - Top - End - #3

Default Re: How many characters would put on this Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity?

Only if I started out wearing it.

Suddenly, and without planning it, changing gender wreaks havoc with character development.

Now, if I prepared a character with the specific purpose of being a gender-switched man/woman sort of thing, I could definitely see myself wearing.

Well, not myself literally.. Awkward.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    I would totally do that, and crack up the game so badly by talking in falsetto and winking flirtatiously at all of the DM's NPCs (and thus, at the DM) that I'd quickly get buried under a sudden falll of rocks plummeting from the clear blue sky.
    This, very much this.

5. - Top - End - #5

A longtime ago I had a character in 1st ed who would've put on the girdle under those circumstances. A Wixard called Ganaeus. Loved Wands of Wonder. Used one in an encounter with a Dragon resulting in the dragon growing grass on it's scales which the Druid cast entangle on. :-)

That's the only character I've had that I can recall who would be remotely interested in doing so.

Thank how few RL people would do such a thing. Most people have their world view fairly heavily routed in their sexual identity. Transexuals/transgenders are a fairly small part of the population.

Stephen E

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Only after remove curse or whatever ability was available to the party for most of my characters.

I think my underdeveloped androgynous rogue (basically flanderizing a certain board member) I made for the Shackled City game my friends started up and abandoned would put it on to really keep the party guessing.

My clerics would probably not put it on in any circumstances. My dwarven cleric was partially inspired by Pratchett's discworld dwarves, so either he wouldn't care/let on if he put it on, since all dwarves are dwarves anyway or he'd be incredibly disgusted by the idea of letting on airs of gender that he'd try to destroy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I can see throwing an all one-gender party a real dilemma along these lines:

"So, we've this awesome item of awesome that you'll need to defeat the big bad. But to carry it, you'll need to be a [man/woman, delete as appropriate]. Luckily, we also have a Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity handy."

Obviously, the nature of the tempting item would have to depend on the party and context - there'd be few enough that would really appeal to every player and be thematically appropriate. For a high-level party without access to level 9 spells, maybe a luck blade with two or three Wishes inside it, if you're up against a (probably modified) Tarrasque or other monster that needs Wish to finish it off.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

It occurs to me that of the characters I've played or made, none are so in-character power-gamery as to want the boost at the cost of such an "inconvenience", and those who would view it as an interesting opportunity rather than an inconvenience already have some sort of shape-changing ability (a changeling character, for instance, would pick it up without hesitation).

Of course, it also depends on how starved for wealth the party is (in absolute terms, and relative to their needs), and just what the item does and how crucial it is to them. If you're asking whether any of my characters might, under some circumstance, be willing to be gender-swapped indefinitely as a side effect of some important pursuit, then probably most would have some point at which they'd accept it.
    Last edited by kamikasei; 2009-10-12 at 12:21 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Bad idea, you're persuading players to go completely againt their character's personality for the sake of some bonuses. As said, most people are set in their gender and would be very unhappy about a sudden gender change, and in a world with real magic, those who actually wanted to be another gender could be without this.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

As a player, I often go by the principle of "Whatever gives the most plusses."

For the character, if the character did not know about the sex-change effect, they'd generally go for it. With knowledge of the effect, it depends on the character.

I would definitely at least keep it handy, as per the Batman principle.

11. - Top - End - #11

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Akisa View Post
    It would have ... +1 Luck to Damage and Attack.
    So... it changes your gender and helps you get lucky more often?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    What does "too evil" mean, anyway? Too evil compared to what? Is there a Recommended Daily Allowance of evil?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

As a player: It might be fun to play a character who had to go through this sudden change. It might be quite enjoyable to actually try and role-play how that worked. That said I fail at playing girls altogether.

As a character: I've had very, very few who would put it on for the bonus at the cost of the curse. While as a player the curse might attract me to the item, my characters tend to be more attached to their gender than I am to their gender.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

The Munchkin would wear it for the bonuses, the Loonie would wear it for the laughs, the Real Rolepalyer would wear it for the character conflict. The only one unlikely to wear it would be the Real Man.
    Me? I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Praxus Talonborn, Moon Elf Sorcerer (male), Arcane Devotee of Selune. Probably would have if it were a gift from Selune, but not otherwise.

Phido, middle-aged Shifter Rogue/Wizard/MasterofMasks/Arcane Trickster (male), conman extraordinaire, would only do it if he were on the run from the Guard and it was the only way to escape.

Mordechai, Lesser Drow Monk (male) with Vow of Poverty wouldn't have. It would violate his vow, no reason for him to do it.

Single-session character Changeling (female) Beguiler whose name I can't remember would put it on without hesitation. Seriously, she's a changeling. Like gender matters?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

My current player would probably wear it and make a deal with the cleric to cast remove curse every other day and switch genders every other day simply for the chaos it would bring not only with the confusion of his members but with how all of the mixture of hormones inside of him would make him go...he's crazy :-D

Then I had a Druid earlier that was sporting the Vow of Nonviolence & Vow of Peace combo which...probably had made him a girl already so why not have the belt put on?

In RL I would probably pass on that, I'm good with the parts the random dice rolling gods gave me.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mine:
    A Dungeon where heroes were tested (Survival of the Fittest Modeule)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by penbed400 View Post
    In RL I would probably pass on that, I'm good with the parts the random dice rolling gods gave me.
    If it comes with a guaranteed-to-work item of remove curse I'd wear it in a shot. Can you imagine the learning opportunity?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

It depends on the characters, really. I'd be more likely to use it simply because I enjoy playing shapechanging characters, changelings in particular.

18. - Top - End - #18

Depends on my PC in question!

Beogar, Half-Orc Druid: Too shy.

Aisha, Psychic Warrior: Would wonder if the gods put this in her path as a new test, might try it.

Young Male, Neanderthal Barbarian: He might put it on without realizing what it was, but if he did he'd pass. In his paleolithic worldview, it's somewhat bad luck to be a female.

Finn Connors, Rogue/Fighter: "Ohhh no, not fer all th'tea in Cathay," he'd say.

Canio, Swashbuckler: He's devoted to pursuing his lady-love, how could he meet her like that?

Dieter Krauss, Cleric: He's always been spurned by women in the past... now perhaps he might at last learn their secrets! Tempting, but... could it be reversed? Secretly?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

About half of my characters would probably agree to wear it, especially in a context in which Remove Curse is fairly available. Because haven't you ever wanted to know?
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

20. - Top - End - #20

Characters that I've plaid recently:

Sir Thomas Falhurst - Jousting Jock and chauvanist extraordinaire. He would honestly consider the item to be the work of demons. Nothing else could possibly be so evil as to denigrade the barrier between men and women.

Richard le Rocque - Fey Warlock and general Bad Person. In a heart beat he would wear it any given day, but mostly just to hurt people emotionally. The belt would bring his strength up to 8. So if he put it on, it wouldn't be for the "benefit".

I'm also playing with a play by post character, but I don't have enough of a feel for him yet to say either way.
    GMs 3.5, cWoD, Rogue Trader, Monsterhearts, The Pool, and Fudge. Narrativist, wacky builder, and dancer.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Changelings can switch genders at will (in both 3.5 and 4E), and can basically ignore the curse aspect of the item, unless you use DM fiat to lock the changeling's gender until it is removed. This is still not much of a problem for changelings, as they're basically bisexual by default (with that whole at will gender switching thing going on).

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm, my characters...

1) Dragonkin Warblade. Nobody would notice a gender change, but he's too attached to/insecure about his masculinity to try it.
    2) Gestalt Warblade//dip classes. He'd probably consider it, but this character is in a group with people who would both profit more from it and be more comfortable with the change. He'd pass it over.
    3) Warforged Rogue. No gender identity. If the bonus works, it would try.
    4) Epic Cleric. Slight lecher. Would try it out, but unlikely to keep it on indefinitely.

Could you stack two Girdles to return yourself to normal gender?
    Last edited by Foryn Gilnith; 2009-10-12 at 01:52 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

I'd have any of my characters put on the standard issue cursed version, just for the lulz.

Anyone who wouldn't needs to work on their gamer-fu. This is a game about tomb-robbing killer hobos in a world of magic and madness, not '-ing Shakespeare. Why not pour on all the bizarre you can get?

"Hey, pass me that Arduin Grimoire..."
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2009-10-12 at 02:34 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

A Good portion of my characters would indeed. Infact, at least one of them would benefit immensely from it. (Drow male.)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

If remove curse is available to get it off... then I can't think of many characters of mine who wouldn't at least be insanely curious. In fact, if such an item were to exist in real life, and I had access to the way to remove it, I'd probably try out a few days as a boy. I suspect I'd be a very girly boy though, just due to my small size.

However in the case that the thing is permanent... No. Not many people would want to permanently alter their gender like that. I can't think of a single character I've made who would do that intentionally.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

26. - Top - End - #26

Mmmm... Bonuses... Sexy, sexy bonuses...

That being said, only one of the characters I'm currently running would put it on.

27. - Top - End - #27

My duskblade character (the one I have as an avatar) would probably use it if he needed a disguise, but he wouldn't put up with a gender-swap just to get those bonuses.

A female warblade character I'm using in an Eberron game would probably just have a whole "can't be bothered" opinion about it.
    Avatar of Gnar'tigor - former Star Player of the Hellborn Hooligans Blood Bowl team - by Savannah

Brilliant D&D song from Aussie comedy band Tripod.
    If anyone can find a better-quality version of that, let me know.

The Hellborn Hooligans Reborn

28. - Top - End - #28

Goblin

The fact that irl I would be straight on that, and the fact that I was mildly surprised that most people here wouldn't, suggests that my gender identity is perhaps less fixed than I thought it was. Ah.
    Last edited by Project_Mayhem; 2009-10-12 at 09:17 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen_E View Post
    A longtime ago I had a character in 1st ed who would've put on the girdle under those circumstances. A Wixard called Ganaeus. Loved Wands of Wonder. Used one in an encounter with a Dragon resulting in the dragon growing grass on it's scales which the Druid cast entangle on. :-)

That's the only character I've had that I can recall who would be remotely interested in doing so.

Thank how few RL people would do such a thing. Most people have their world view fairly heavily routed in their sexual identity. Transexuals/transgenders are a fairly small part of the population.

Stephen E
    Oh, you know half the male population would try it. Admit to it? Probably not. Curiosity a powerful thing, especially if it requires as little danger/commitment as the girdle does in the D&D world.

I've had a few characters that would happily abuse such a thing. At an absolute minimum, it's one free escape mechanism when being hunted, as shown by our very own OOTS.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyAngel View Post
    If remove curse is available to get it off... then I can't think of many characters of mine who wouldn't at least be insanely curious. In fact, if such an item were to exist in real life, and I had access to the way to remove it, I'd probably try out a few days as a boy. I suspect I'd be a very girly boy though, just due to my small size.

However in the case that the thing is permanent... No. Not many people would want to permanently alter their gender like that. I can't think of a single character I've made who would do that intentionally.
    My way of thinking is pretty close to that. If I could become a girl for a few hours (or days...) through a totally reversible magical process, I probably couldn't resist, just to see what it's like. If it's irreversible, then I'd have to think a long time about it, and probably consult the people I trust the most before trying it.