New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Tricky Bard Questions.

He all! Two quick questions to throw at the forums.

Firstly, Can inspire greatness grant extra feats? as it gives you bonus HD (so say your at level 10 and it bumps you up too ECL 12 do you gain the level 12 feat temperaraly?)

Secondly, would the epic feat "Music of the Gods" effect prestige class music abilities? such as from Dirge Singer.

Cheers!
    tumblr (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Tricky Bard Questions.

Quote Originally Posted by FeverFox View Post
    He all! Two quick questions to throw at the forums.

Firstly, Can inspire greatness grant extra feats? as it gives you bonus HD (so say your at level 10 and it bumps you up too ECL 12 do you gain the level 12 feat temperaraly?)
    HD != levels.

Therefore I believe no. Unless it is explicitly stated. But were it, you would not be asking.
    I cast Prismatic Ray on your puny plot hook!

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

I Am A: Neutral Good Elf Wizard/Cleric (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11
    Alignment:Neutral Good
    Race:Elven
    Primary Class:Wizard
    Secondary Class:Cleric

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by root9125 View Post
    HD != levels.

Therefore I believe no. Unless it is explicitly stated. But were it, you would not be asking.
    Feats are gained by HD not levels (just levels are usual way to gain HD for PCs).
    So yes, you could gain a feat this way. I've never thought about it before.

Wow, Inspire Greatness is better than I thought.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Let us consider, for a moment, all perspectives.

As far as explicit rules go, it wouldn't. As far as implied rules, it could.

But let's look at from a DM's perspective. If you were DMing, would you allow your bard to grant an extra feat (and possibly an extra attribute point) for this? Maybe, maybe not.

Let's consider one last possibility. Role-playing. You gain feats because, as you practice, you learn new ways of doing things, or gain special abilities. Not because you have become stronger, but because you have become wiser (not in the mental stat sense, but in the understanding of your own abilities sense). Would a song really grant you temporary access to that knowledge, and then take it away? That's for you to decide.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

As far as explicit rules go, it wouldn't.
    Hrm

It implies that it does, as it give you hitdie not d10 hp +con, and it is explicitly unclear so im not sure if it wouldn't.

The ability stats that it give you 2 d10 hitdie and aswell as an (unrelated) +2 competance bonus on attack and a +1 competance bonus on fortitude. The only thing left confusingly unclear is the kind of HD gained. though it could be assumed to be your racial HD (with the only difference being the d size)
    tumblr (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

If Inspire Greatness would grant a floating feet it would also have to grant floating skillpoints and save bonuses per the racial HD. It seems unreasonable actually, so IMO it grants HP (using your hit die and CON bonus) not HD.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    If Inspire Greatness would grant a floating feet it would also have to grant floating skillpoints and save bonuses per the racial HD. It seems unreasonable actually, so IMO it grants HP (using your hit die and CON bonus) not HD.
    No, it's still more valuable than what you give it credit for even if you don't let it give you a feat. There are several abilities based off of HD that get better... for example, the saves against a lot of supernatural abilities, how high your caster level can go with Practiced Spellcaster, or most importantly, how big a creature you can Wild Shape into.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    No, it's still more valuable than what you give it credit for even if you don't let it give you a feat. There are several abilities based off of HD that get better... for example, the saves against a lot of supernatural abilities, how high your caster level can go with Practiced Spellcaster, or most importantly, how big a creature you can Wild Shape into.
    Hmm... i've read through the description of the Inspire Greatness again and you're right: it does state these are HD (and that they are taken into account to spell effects and such) and stresses out, it gives apropriate HP as well. So it would probably go down to: these HD affect any spell or ability based on HD and grants HP.
    Still, granting a feat and/or skill points would be even more doubtfull (as the HP bonus is the only one specifically stated).
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drengnikrafe View Post
    Let's consider one last possibility. Role-playing. You gain feats because, as you practice, you learn new ways of doing things, or gain special abilities. Not because you have become stronger, but because you have become wiser (not in the mental stat sense, but in the understanding of your own abilities sense). Would a song really grant you temporary access to that knowledge, and then take it away? That's for you to decide.
    Winner, imo!
    If its silly, don't do it.
    I think this is one thing most of us will inevitably houserule.
    I would say the additional stat point makes sense, but an extra feat doesn't.
    Inspire Greatness beefs you up- could definetely increase a stat point. Yours stats go into your saves & skills, and that also makes sense that bardic music would pump that stuff up.

I've always thought feats were the results of stuff you practiced and tried out during campaign downtime (like all the times your party members rest in dungeons to get back their hp). When you leveled and actually got the feat, that was symbolic of your character finally 'getting it' and then being able to utilize it in a combat or noncombat situation.

But like I said, houseruled hoooo!!
    Baenhoof, 80 Protection Warrior
    Currently running: Star Wars (Silcore/Heavy Gear)
    ROCKIN AMAZING AVATAR by Teutonic Knight (<3)

Spoiler
    Show
    CLICK THE DRAGONS, FUEL THE ADDICTION

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

While I agree that Inspire Greatness's HD do not give the recipient a feat...

I think Inspire Heroics (the bard's 15th level ability) would be cooler if re-written so that it grants a feat to the recipient (one he/she already qualifies for). The ally, while inspired, can do something that is normally just beyond his grasp.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Player's Handbook
    A creature inspired with greatness gains 2 bonus Hit Dice (d10s), the commensurate number of temporary hit points (apply the target’s Constitution modifier, if any, to these bonus Hit Dice), a +2 competence bonus on attack rolls, and a +1 competence bonus on Fortitude saves. The bonus Hit Dice count as regular Hit Dice for determining the effect of spells such as sleep.
    Considering this discusses specifically what is meant by gaining two bonus Hit Dice while discussing features which are absolutely unnecessary to specify were the bonus Hit Dice to function identically to those regularly gained, I would say no.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Technically, maybe (but probably not). But normally getting feats requires some sort of training we tend to ignore. So, really, no.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

This is incredibly silly, admittedly, but, from the SRD, it seems pretty clear that feats, no matter what the source, would also give feats, skills, and everything else associated with them.

This is probably an oversight on the designers' parts, to be fair. They only took into effect the bonus HP, which are apparently temporary, for some reason.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.