New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Robilar's Exploitation

Reading over Robilar's Gambit, it does not seems to specify that an opponent must be using an attack action to strike you, in order to provoke it. Bearing that in mind, could I not intentionally provoke attacks of opportunity in order to get attacks? Following with that, could I not use Improved and Greater Combat Reflexes (Dragon 340) to make three attacks in response?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Robilar's Exploitation

Yes, you can deliberately provoke AOO's, though even animals will learn quickly not to hit you if you do so =P

I'm not familiar with the dragon content, sorry!
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Akal Saris View Post
    Yes, you can deliberately provoke AOO's, though even animals will learn quickly not to hit you if you do so =P

I'm not familiar with the dragon content, sorry!
    Improved Combat Reflexes, which, unfortunately, share a name with Improved Combat Reflexes, the Epic feat, allow two attack per AoO. Greater Combat Reflexes allow three. They all count against your max, but, when you have the aforementioned Epic feat, it hardly matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

RAW, yes, I believe you can.
    However, I've found most DMs with give you a death glare when you bring up any recursive loops. Including AoOs against AoOs.
    If it's not obvious, insert a after my post.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

You think that's sick? Try using a hydra with that feat.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, because feats that appear in Dragon magazine are always fully balanced and thoroughly playtested. If you ask me, a lot of stuff from Dragon mags should be considered no more official than any other homebrew.

[/end rant]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Yes, because feats that appear in Dragon magazine are always fully balanced and thoroughly playtested. If you ask me, a lot of stuff from Dragon mags should be considered no more official than any other homebrew.

[/end rant]
    About as well balanced and playtested as much of what appears in hardbound splats. About the only consistent advantage is that official book material is usually better edited (usually. There is an appreciable number of splatbook items that simply do not work. Not overpowered or underpowered, the way they're written just doesn't work.) Oh, and splatbooks are usually easier to acquire than random back issues of Dragon.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    About as well balanced and playtested as much of what appears in hardbound splats. About the only consistent advantage is that official book material is usually better edited (usually. There is an appreciable number of splatbook items that simply do not work. Not overpowered or underpowered, the way they're written just doesn't work.) Oh, and splatbooks are usually easier to acquire than random back issues of Dragon.
    I'll agree with most of this - there certainly is no shortage of poorly thought out and badly balanced feats in the hardcovers. That being said, though, I generally do tend to see more of this in Dragon material...