New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Default Warforged, Dragonborn and Composite Plating (3.5)

So here's the thing. Warforged qualify for the Dragonborn template, being as any non-evil creature with Int 3 or higher does. They lose all their racial traits bar their ability scores, size and movement...in the case of a Warforged this means they lose their Slam Attack, Light Fortification and Composite Plating, but none of the traits of a Living Construct.

The prerequisites for the various feats that alter a Warforged Composite Plating (Adamantine Body etc.), however, don't require you to actually have Composite Plating...just to be Warforged and level 1. Is it abuse to have a Dragonborn Warforged with the Adamantine or Mithral Body Feat, or is this just a loophole that is fair game to exploit?
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Warforged, Dragonborn and Composite Plating (3.5)

The feats themselves aren't especially powerful, and dragonborn goes out of its way to say you continue to qualify for effects that check for your original racial type. I don't think it's abuse by any means, if by abuse you mean an attempt to break the game.

Now, a DM might still disallow it (I would), but if he does, it's going to be coming from a fluff/flavor/common sense perspective, not an abuse of power perspective.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    The feats themselves aren't especially powerful, and dragonborn goes out of its way to say you continue to qualify for effects that check for your original racial type. I don't think it's abuse by any means, if by abuse you mean an attempt to break the game.

Now, a DM might still disallow it (I would), but if he does, it's going to be coming from a fluff/flavor/common sense perspective, not an abuse of power perspective.
    That's pretty much what I figured. Hey ho, suspicions confirmed.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Well, you need adamantine plating to qualify for warforged juggernaught prc.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    Is it abuse to have a Dragonborn Warforged with the Adamantine or Mithral Body Feat, or is this just a loophole that is fair game to exploit?
    I don't really play in any high-level games, but a good rule of thumb... if you're not inflicting quickened maximized twinned persistent mindrape on an ancient dragon while polymorphed into a feral greenbound sandwich after your animal companion/familiar/mount casts timestop for you, you're probably not coming all that close to "broken" as you think you are.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Considering that the armor material feats for warforged are pretty much just instant armor that you don't have to buy, I don't consider this broken at all. The armor enhancements you'll be putting on yourself later on will end up costing more.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    I don't really play in any high-level games, but a good rule of thumb... if you're not inflicting quickened maximized twinned persistent mindrape on an ancient dragon while polymorphed into a feral greenbound sandwich after your animal companion/familiar/mount casts timestop for you, you're probably not coming all that close to "broken" as you think you are.
    Oh I never considered it "broken", not by a long shot...I was talking about "abuse"...slight difference. The former is something that ruins a game because of the 'mechanical' impact of "winning D&D", the latter is (to my mind anyway) usually more concerned with the verisimilitude of the game; to take a familiar example, Dragonwrought Kobold cheese...it's "abuse" to have every one of your kobold characters be dragonwrought and venerable just for the stat increases to your mental ability scores. It's "broken" to start taking Epic feats, Loredrake and other normally unavailable options for a character of that level.