New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [3.5] How to mess with time in 6 easy steps.

How to tell the future in 6 easy steps

Step 1: Be a Psion with the powers Force Dream, Schism and Time Hop, Mass
    Step 2: Manifest the power Forced Dream on yourself
    Step 3: Manifest Schism
    Step 4: Have your Schismed mind manifest the power Time Hop, Mass on yourself to send yourself 15 hours into the future.
    Step 5: Use a full round action to gain the days worth of memories from the Thought Bottle
    Step 6: Use your swift action to activate Forced Dream, placing you back at before Step 4.

The set up for this is a room with a table and a though bottle in it. You also need an Orange Ioun Stone (or some other way to boost your ML to 21 so that your Schism can use mass time hop). At the end of the day, you place the days worth of memories into the thought bottle and leave it on the table. When you jump forward in time you gain those memories of living the time in between the jump and now, you then go back to before the jump but you take the memories with you.

Repeat as needed.

--
    This is like super divination because you know what is coming, at least in general terms. It is also super spying.

I mean you don't have to be stealthy at all, or worry about being found out. Once you learn what you want (no matter how bloody you were or how many people found out), you send the knowledge back and reset.

---
    The only real problem with this trick is if you die, it ends the loop.
    The only real way to get around this is to effectively stutter the loop by combining it with Tleilaxu Ghola's save game mechanic.

Just activate the save game trick every time once you complete your hop and if you die on the iteration you are still outside the loop but you do retain all memories except for that last loop and you do know that you did something that resulted in your death that go through.

EDIT: Actually I found a better way to prevent deaths in the loop and retain your memories. Before you enter the loop you need to have used the spell Clone to growth yourself a Clone. Then, you leave your clone next to your thought bottle and upon your death it immediately awakens. You have it place it's memories inside the thought bottle so that they are now entered in the loop and you now remember everything up too and including your death.
    Last edited by Emperor Tippy; 2009-10-16 at 11:26 PM.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] How to mess with time in 6 easy steps.

Not only am I glad to see you back in action, Tippy, but it's good to know you haven't died. Haven't seen you around breaking the game lately.

But wait...you're using Psionics. Isn't magic your forte? What is this ludicrousness? Did you learn to bend Psionics to your will in your vacation?
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow...crazy.
    Nice to see you back, Tippy.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    Not only am I glad to see you back in action, Tippy, but it's good to know you haven't died. Haven't seen you around breaking the game lately.

But wait...you're using Psionics. Isn't magic your forte? What is this ludicrousness? Did you learn to bend Psionics to your will in your vacation?
    I've always liked Psionics and I just recently found out about the Save Game trick and that got me interested in messing around with time. This is the result. It's amazing what one can do with 20 minutes worth of boredom.

----
    Oh, if you want extra security on your time hopping you should buy a Craft Contingent Spell Time Stop set to activate upon you being hit with a Mass Time Hop after you say uga buga. Thanks to forced dreaming you don't expend it and this gives you guaranteed security on the other end of the trip, to make sure that no one has readied actions to kill you when you appear (if they found out about your fun).
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Still saying, all the memories that never were, will clutter up the mind. You would likely be dealing with incredible Int, but even so.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Reminds me of that movie, Primer.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

:: shrug :: As you said, it basically is a variation on T_G's old save game trick, but not as cool. 3/5.

Good to see you back though!
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-10-17 at 02:01 AM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    :: shrug :: As you said, it basically is a variation on T_G's old save game trick, but not as cool. 3/5.

Yo Tippy, I'm really happy for you, an imma let you finish, but T_G had one of the best time exploits of all time.
    Last edited by Myrmex; 2009-10-17 at 02:11 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Yep, mines cooler.

His doesn't let you remember everything that happened after you save. Mine does.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

It's actually not clear that you can target anything other than a whole creature with time hop. In general, powers and spells that affect you while schismed hit both minds or more accurately, the body you share. Unlike temporal acceleration, time hop lacks an exception clause for Schism.

Also, due to the wording of schism, you may need to have it up before you manifest forced dream.

Answer me a koan....
    How fast is no action?
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-10-17 at 03:10 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the "save game trick"?

12. - Top - End - #12

Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I love it, but if I were a hypothetical evil DM:

The subject reappears in exactly the same orientation and condition as before.
    If you are not standing in the same place you were when your Schism manifested Time Hop, it arrives outside of your body.

If the space from which the subject departed is occupied upon his return to the time stream, he appears in the closest unoccupied space, still in his original orientation. Determine the closest space randomly if necessary.
    If you are standing in the same place, the space is 'occupied', and a literal reading of the text pushes the Schism somewhere else.

Either way, a part of your mind ends up on the floor. Could get messy.
    Last edited by Fishy; 2009-10-17 at 05:15 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Just to clear this up, you aren't sending the Schism into the future. The Schism is manifesting Time Hop, Mass to send the real mind into the future. Whether or not the Schism comes along really doesn't matter. I would say it does but I suppose that is up to the DM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, so Schism is just for the extra action you need to do everything you have to do in the one round Forced Dream gives you. You could get the same result with Action Surge or Delay Power, right?

Wow, the causality of all this is weird.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I daresay that any mechanics use that involves the DM needing to fabricate rules for time travel is a fascinating one.

Just make sure to have your schism run away or something, because if he makes contact with your future self (which, after you return, was formerly your other past self), you could conceivably cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum and destroy the entire universe. (If you're lucky, the destruction will be localized to the campaign)

Quote Originally Posted by Shalist View Post
    Also, there's a book out there somewhere that lets you travel forward through time without any complicated magic or psionics, though at a fixed rate of an hour for every 3600 seconds of actual time that passes.
    Wait, wait. Is this a joke, or is there really a D&D ability somewhere that lets your character move forward in time an hour for every hour that passes _outside_ the game?

The use of 'actual time' is confusing in this context.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

I smell the plot to Final Fantasy 1.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

19. - Top - End - #19

However, since the future hasn't hapened yet, there's nothing guaranteeing that what you've seen will actualy happen.

The principle of chaos will make that even if you have seen the future, this will result in small changes that will change the future, meaning you may only be fooling yourself thinking that the BBEG will rolll a 1 on his third save.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

But that isn't the point. Things like distribution of troops and traps will still be the same. The BBEG will still, likely, be in that very room, and have the same contingencies prepared to fire when the PCs enter. He'll still try to get off his seemingly innocent but devastating combo involving 3 rounds of casting Quickened Prestidigitation, but now you'll know that he's a threat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Oslecamo View Post
    However, since the future hasn't hapened yet, there's nothing guaranteeing that what you've seen will actualy happen.

The principle of chaos will make that even if you have seen the future, this will result in small changes that will change the future, meaning you may only be fooling yourself thinking that the BBEG will rolll a 1 on his third save.
    Ah, but the only variable is your actions. Nothing else changes. With enough iterations and an intelligent enough character, especially if combined with the hypercognition power, one should be able to get pretty much whatever result one desires if it is something that isn't physically impossible, no matter what actions you take.

And sure, while you loose out on the random dice rolls, you gain something much better. Total knowledge of your enemies abilities and standard attack routines. Basically, if I manifest X then 99/100 iterations the baddy does Y.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    I smell the plot to Final Fantasy 1.
    So true.

For those of us who are too lazy too look this up could you explain the powers and why they allow you to do what you say. I believe you and all but Im sleepy
    Last edited by PlzBreakMyCmpAn; 2009-10-17 at 12:19 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by PlzBreakMyCmpAn View Post
    So true.

For those of us who are too lazy too look this up could you explain the powers and why they allow you to do what you say. I believe you and all but Im sleepy
    Forced Dream is a rounds/level power. Once it is manifested, at any time during it's duration you can activate it as a swift action to reset your current turn. That wipes out everything that has happened since the beginning of your turn and you are the only one who remembers what occurred.

Time Hop, Mass sends you hours/level into the future.

So, since your turn starts in the past (before you are affected by Mass Time Hop), you can use Forced Dreaming to go to the future and then back to the past.

A thought bottle let's you store or retrieve up too a full days memories as a full round action. This means that you still have your swift action. So you get sent to the future, use the thought bottle to gain the next days worth of memories, and then activate Forced Dreaming.

Now, all you retain is your memory. So you remember everything that was placed in the thought bottle.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

This feels like the plot of Butterfly Effect, but in reverse.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

I do not see that you can target either the schismed mind or the real mind separately.
    Nothing else lets you do so that doesn't have some very specific language, I see no reason why this would be an exception with no exception.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-10-17 at 12:46 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

The real problem is that the contents of the thought bottle are in the causal past of you reading the thought bottle. Until what you put in the bottle matches exactly what you read, you have a timeline that doesn't work.

The other problem with this plan is- what if some jerk with a hammer smashes your bottle between when you fill it and when you read it again?

27. - Top - End - #27

I do not see that you can target either the schismed mind or the real mind separately.
    Nothing else lets you do so that doesn't have some very specific language, I see no reason why this would be an exception with no exception.
    What are you talking about? Nothing of mine cares about the Schism at all. The only thing Schism does is manifest Mass Time Hop. Whether or not said schismed mind comes along (I believe it does as it is part of your mind) is utterly irrelevant.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tippy=Win

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    What are you talking about? Nothing of mine cares about the Schism at all. The only thing Schism does is manifest Mass Time Hop. Whether or not said schismed mind comes along (I believe it does as it is part of your mind) is utterly irrelevant.
    Then I must be missing the part where some of you stays behind to actually experience the day. Because thought bottle memories can only be retrieved by the person who stored them, and time hop means you spent your day wallowing outside the timestream.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-10-17 at 01:00 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

i thought you left, good to know you're back.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't see how this works. The Thought Bottle never gets filled, because you spend the day outside of time and then warp back to the begining of the day, so you never get any memories out of the Thought Bottle.