New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default What happens if you take the epic feat Spell Stowaway: Contingency?

It's just a question I have. If, in theory, you took that, and you activated a mage's contingent celerity, do you immediately get a celerity? If you activate contingent time stop, do you get a time stop? If so, which caster goes first?

How does it work in general?
    Last edited by Milskidasith; 2009-10-17 at 12:00 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What happens if you take the epic feat Spell Stowaway: Contingency?

Quote Originally Posted by Milskidasith View Post
    It's just a question I have. If, in theory, you took that, and you activated a mage's contingent celerity, do you immediately get a celerity? If you activate contingent time stop, do you get a time stop? If so, which caster goes first?

How does it work in general?
    Let's see...
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Epic, Feats
    Spell Stowaway [Epic]
    Prerequisites

Spellcraft 24 ranks, caster level 12th.
    Benefit

Choose a spell-like ability you have, or a spell you can cast. You are attuned to the magic you choose. If another spellcaster within 300 feet of you uses this magic, you also immediately gain the magic’s effect as if it had been used on you by the same caster. You must have direct line of effect to the spellcaster in order to gain the benefit of the attuned magic (though you do not have to know the spellcaster is present, and you can be flat-footed). The magic’s duration, effect, and other specifics are determined by its original caster’s level.
    Special

You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take this feat, it applies to a different spell or spell-like ability.
    And, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by SRD, spells
    Contingency
    Evocation
    Level: Sor/Wiz 6
    Components: V, S, M, F
    Casting Time: At least 10 minutes; see text
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: One day/level (D) or until discharged

You can place another spell upon your person so that it comes into effect under some condition you dictate when casting contingency. The contingency spell and the companion spell are cast at the same time. The 10-minute casting time is the minimum total for both castings; if the companion spell has a casting time longer than 10 minutes, use that instead.

The spell to be brought into effect by the contingency must be one that affects your person and be of a spell level no higher than one-third your caster level (rounded down, maximum 6th level).

The conditions needed to bring the spell into effect must be clear, although they can be general. In all cases, the contingency immediately brings into effect the companion spell, the latter being “cast” instantaneously when the prescribed circumstances occur. If complicated or convoluted conditions are prescribed, the whole spell combination (contingency and the companion magic) may fail when called on. The companion spell occurs based solely on the stated conditions, regardless of whether you want it to.

You can use only one contingency spell at a time; if a second is cast, the first one (if still active) is dispelled.
    Material Component

That of the companion spell, plus quicksilver and an eyelash of an ogre mage, rakshasa, or similar spell-using creature.
    Focus

A statuette of you carved from elephant ivory and decorated with gems (worth at least 1,500 gp). You must carry the focus for the contingency to work.
    Theoretically? Yeah, if they "Use that magic" when you're in range, then you get the same benefits. The specifics are all determined by the other caster.

As for who goes first? You both go immediately. The DMG has some notes in it on pseudo-simultaneity. Ask both for the actions they take, then resolve them independently of each other.

Mind you, Time Stop, being a 9th level spell, isn't legal for Contingency. If it were, though, per Time Stop, time doesn't stop, you're just accellerated to a really, really high degree. Which means the two Time Stopped Casters are sitting there in the same time frame....
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Let's see...

And, of course...

Theoretically? Yeah, if they "Use that magic" when you're in range, then you get the same benefits. The specifics are all determined by the other caster.

As for who goes first? You both go immediately. The DMG has some notes in it on pseudo-simultaneity. Ask both for the actions they take, then resolve them independently of each other.

Mind you, Time Stop, being a 9th level spell, isn't legal for Contingency. If it were, though, per Time Stop, time doesn't stop, you're just accellerated to a really, really high degree. Which means the two Time Stopped Casters are sitting there in the same time frame....
    Nitpick: Using Craft Contingent Spell, you can get contingent Time Stop and whatelse.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Nitpick: Using Craft Contingent Spell, you can get contingent Time Stop and whatelse.
    But that is irrelevant for purposes of Spell Stowaway as Craft Contingent makes the Contingent Timestop an item.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    But that is irrelevant for purposes of Spell Stowaway as Craft Contingent makes the Contingent Timestop an item.
    Does Stowaway not count spell completion triggered items? "Uses this magic" is aggravatingly vague in nature.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Does Stowaway not count spell completion triggered items? "Uses this magic" is aggravatingly vague in nature.
    Craft Contingent Spell has nothing at all to do with the spell Contingency. You don't even need to know the spell Contingency (or even be able to cast it for that matter) to take the feat.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Craft Contingent Spell has nothing at all to do with the spell Contingency. You don't even need to know the spell Contingency (or even be able to cast it for that matter) to take the feat.
    *sigh* RAW, I hate you so. I was under the impression you had to have Contingency to craft Contingencies. >_> In that case, yeah, looks like Stowaway won't stop the madness.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Evocation: ...why?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by imperialspectre View Post
    Evocation: ...why?
    Because Wall of Force, Forcecage, Resilient Sphere, and Contingency are quite handy, especially if for some reason you're restricted to Core. Sure, you can duplicate some of them with the Shadow Evocation line, but that permits an extra save and SR, regardless.

Alternately, because removing Evocation from your class list completely makes Shadow Evocation completely useless.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

I wanna take spell stowaway: Fireball...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

So what really happens if you Spell Stowaway a Timestop? Is it just the two of you acting for the duration then?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

The two affected characters acting based on their normal initiative order, I would imagine.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tanaric View Post
    The two affected characters acting based on their normal initiative order, I would imagine.
    Damn, that would be cool. Wizarding duels resolved in freeze-time.

You don't actually see anything, just suddenly there is a flash of light and the air fills with Forcecages, stray Maws of Chaos and closing Gates.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Actually, my interpretation would be that you'd get the contingency set up only if you had LoE to the mage when he was casting the contingency spell. Triggering it just happens after everything is set up.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Alternately, because removing Evocation from your class list completely makes Shadow Evocation completely useless.
    Or it would, if Shadow Evocation referenced your personal class spell list rather than sorcerer/wizard spells.

That does sound like a compelling homebrew fix to the issue that Illusionists can Just Do Anything (TM), though.