New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Question Habits or traditions you have related to gaming?

I know some people order their dice a certain way, some always put their favorite dice facing up on 20, etc. What is your habit or tradition(s)?

I myself always have a model specified for a new PC, or I use a dice in it's place until I get a fitting one (usually Reaper Minis). I sometimes even greenstuff or convert them to fit the character.

Then after their campaign is done, or they die prematurely, I place them in a mini display case (the plastic cases dice sets come in are amazing!!!), and then put them in my bigger display case in my collections room. I then print out their character sheet, put it in a magazine sized comic storage bag with board, and file it in another display case.

I look at them and occasionally picture that as their "hangout place", but then again I consider each a "personality fragment" of sorts, basically a piece of my personality I put into or explored through them, so I often envision them running around in my head in a sort of Out-Planer afterlife. (Yeah, I know, WAY to much thought into this...)
    I just want someone to hold me and tell me they love me. Especially when I am sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Skami Pilno View Post
    The man who is dominated by fear of death is already dead.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Habits or traditions you have related to gaming?

well, i tend to put my dice out with the "high" number facing upwards. i tell people that it's to "train" my dice, but really it's just so i know which dice is which quickly. too often have i grabbed a d10 instead of a d8 or vice versa.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I also do the maxing-dice thing, but mainly because I've heard that it actually might work (supposedly, it slowly causes the material in the die to shift down to the bottom of however it's consistently placed, i.e., loading the dice a tiny bit at a time. I don't know if it actually has much of an effect. But I like seeing dice maxed out, anyway.

I've also noticed that I'm the only member of my group, except the DM, who consistently stands up instead of sitting at the table...that's rather funny, I think.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I roll the dice I'm using for the character to see which ones are feeling up for rolling high that day and then put them in order by highest value rolled. Not that I think it really helps, as my dice are pretty karmic and like screwing with me, anyways. ~_~
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    I roll the dice I'm using for the character to see which ones are feeling up for rolling high that day and then put them in order by highest value rolled. Not that I think it really helps, as my dice are pretty karmic and like screwing with me, anyways. ~_~
    Clearly that's because the high rolling dice have used up their high rolls.
    You want the low rolling dice that have pre-rolled the 1s out.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

I sit on dice that misbehave.

Keeps em in line.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ocdscale View Post
    Clearly that's because the high rolling dice have used up their high rolls.
    You want the low rolling dice that have pre-rolled the 1s out.
    Hmm, perhaps. Very Darth and Droids of you.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

When a die really disapoints me, I face all my other dice towards the microwave, and melt down the offending die. I hear this is more of a warhammer thing though.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

I find I almost always sit in the same spot - even in different campaigns, with different players, but the same DM.

I also build forts out of my div, or, at least, structures.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Dice that roll 1 sitting the corner and get no videogames for a week. Good dice get to sit on the nearest videogame.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Flumph

If a d20 needs to roll a 2 or more, I threaten to defenestrate it if it rolls a 1. Fortunately, no dice has done so yet.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    When a die really disapoints me, I face all my other dice towards the microwave, and melt down the offending die. I hear this is more of a warhammer thing though.
    I've never found microwaving very effective. All that happens is they burn your hands and keep you from gaming, in my experience.

A buddy of mine took a rockhammer to an offending die and put the shards of it into his dice bag as an example to the others if they act out.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Every time I get a new character, I get new dice. Those dice remain associated with the character and, though I may bring in spares (like when my bard/rogue/ranger in 4e would toss 7d6 or more on a 2W sneak attack against his quarry), those are the dice I use.

When I play at a convention, I bring many sets of dice. At the end of the game, I give the dice I used at that game to the GM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pika... View Post
    I myself always have a model specified for a new PC, or I use a dice in it's place until I get a fitting one (usually Reaper Minis). I sometimes even greenstuff or convert them to fit the character.

Then after their campaign is done, or they die prematurely, I place them in a mini display case (the plastic cases dice sets come in are amazing!!!), and then put them in my bigger display case in my collections room. I then print out their character sheet, put it in a magazine sized comic storage bag with board, and file it in another display case.

I look at them and occasionally picture that as their "hangout place", but then again I consider each a "personality fragment" of sorts, basically a piece of my personality I put into or explored through them, so I often envision them running around in my head in a sort of Out-Planer afterlife. (Yeah, I know, WAY to much thought into this...)
    This sounds very much like "The Indian in the Cupboard." Which would be freakin' awesome with retired D&D adventurers.
    Thanks to Daryk for the Paladin avatar. Darius Sungold. 1648 OOC.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher Doc View Post
    This sounds very much like "The Indian in the Cupboard." Which would be freakin' awesome with retired D&D adventurers.
    Dude, what a nostalgia bomb.

And yes, it would be awesome. Kobolds and energy missiles everywhere.
    I just want someone to hold me and tell me they love me. Especially when I am sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Skami Pilno View Post
    The man who is dominated by fear of death is already dead.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

my dice hate me.... all of them, no really, i buy new dice and its like my old dice tell them its funny to keep rolling ones when i use em and 6s (or their highest amount) when some one else uses em

this causes me to use other peoples dice consistantly, which is kinda weird... "hey, anyone got 2d10s and a d6?" "havnt you got your own dice?" "yes, but they hate me!"
    easy 1 step guide to impersonating Sean Connery;
    step 1: repeat after me "I moustache you a question, but I'm shaving it for later."

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    Phn'glui mglw'nafh Roland GITP not-wagn'nagl not-fhtagn!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

I have a Call of Cthulu dice set that is always present and their but it never gets rolled of anything concerning a campaign because I simply believe it is trying to get me killed. I also have a white dice set that have earned the nick name "mercy dice" and they tend to only get used when the object or person targets needs to be shown mercy. Nothing is different about them but when a TPW is about to happen the dice always come through and save the party whether I am DMing or playing.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher Doc View Post
    My god, that sounds like an amazing story idea - indian in the cupboard with retired D&D figurines.

Hell, it might even make for a fun game idea!
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Nothing really related to dice, but I always bring a bottle of Noss energy drink to each game. It never contains Noss, but Red Rose tea, unsweetened.

Nobody has figured it out yet.

Also, any fighter of mine will always speak in a slow deep Mississippi accent.
    There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'time to reload.'
    Schlock Mercenaries

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    I also do the maxing-dice thing, but mainly because I've heard that it actually might work (supposedly, it slowly causes the material in the die to shift down to the bottom of however it's consistently placed, i.e., loading the dice a tiny bit at a time. I don't know if it actually has much of an effect. But I like seeing dice maxed out, anyway.
    I've heard this quite a bit, and no, it doesn't actually work. Plastic is quite hard when set, and doesn't settle.

Exceptions exist for certain types of plastic and certain(very, very warm) temperatures, but frankly, if your D&D playing location is subject to such heat, you have more important issues.