New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Overcoming Epic DR

Hey guys, I have a quick (and probably simple) question for you:

How do you overcome Epic DR? I'm looking specifically for either a feat or a weapon property that lets you do this.

Thanks guys!

Edit: If you guys could quote the source of your info that would be super as well.
    Last edited by koeldflare; 2009-10-18 at 04:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Overcoming Epic DR

a high Caster level Greater magic weapon from the party buffer and the bane property?
    Last edited by mostlyharmful; 2009-10-18 at 04:14 PM.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Get a +6 weapon, duh. Really, there are few ways to bypass epic DR without getting epic weapons.

There IS, however, a way: Bane can push a non-epic (+4 or +5) weapon into Epic territory when fighting the Bane-targeted enemy (the bonus increases by +2 vs. those); especially easy with bows using Raptor Arrows which are Bane: Everything. Force [Magic Item Compendium] bow can also penetrate any DR.

Then some class features, such as Eternal Blade's [Tome of Battle] level 2 ability and Factotum's [Dungeonscape] level 11 ability that negate any DR. That's about it (other than doing energy damage or something else that DR doesn't apply to).

EDIT: A harmless ninja!
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-10-18 at 04:32 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You need an enhancement bonus of +6 or greater. Which yes, would include a weapon with a bane property that's already at a +4 via GMW or some other source.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Huh. I'm just recommending stupid and useless Truespeak-based abilities all over the place today.

The useless prestige class Disciple of the Word, from the Truenaming chapter of Tome of Battle, is, as I said, useless. It's basically a Monk class that uses Truespeak. (Yo dawg, I heard you like weak-ass classes, so we put a weak-ass class in your weak-ass class so you can fail to contribute while you fail to contribute!) However, at class level 6th they do get the ability to burn a Stunning Fist use and make a Truespeak check to negate DR, which explicitly includes DR/epic if they make a DC 45 Truespeak check.

I don't recommend that you do this, but technically, it does work. I just know that no one else will mention this (for good reason), so I feel that I should bring it up.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    The useless prestige class Disciple of the Word, from the Truenaming chapter of Tome of Battle, is, as I said, useless. It's basically a Monk class that uses Truespeak. (Yo dawg, I heard you like weak-ass classes, so we put a weak-ass class in your weak-ass class so you can fail to contribute while you fail to contribute!)
    I'd have done a spit take had I need been eating peanut butter.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

A Shadow Striking weapon (here) might or might not work. It says it overcomes any DR, but it also says it can strike as "any material or alignment" to break DR.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Transmuting or Shadowstriking weapons blow through all types of DR after a hit, IIRC.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Sense Weakness (Draconomicon pg 106)
    Requires: Int 13, Weapon Focus, Combat Expertise
    Benefit: Ignore 5 point of hardness or DR (regardless of material or enhancement bonus to your weapon)
    Always attack a man’s strengths, No one ever expects you to attack the strongest part of the fort. Up the middle that’s where the action is. And it’s the same in life. Don’t run away, attack them head on as their coming at you at full speed. Because that my friend is living.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    Transmuting or Shadowstriking weapons blow through all types of DR after a hit, IIRC.
    Shadowstriking, as opposed to Transmuting, does not require hitting once before it starts magically penetrating DR. That's why it costs more (+3 instead of +2).

Shadowstriking is from Tome of Magic. Transmuting is from Magic Item Compendium.

There are also a few maneuvers from Tome of Battle, especially the Stone Dragon discipline, that overcome all DR. Most popular is the Level 2 Mountain Hammer maneuver, with no prerequisites; any character who's at least Level 6 can gain access to it, 1/encounter, by spending a feat or buying a 3000 gp belt.
    Last edited by Draz74; 2009-10-18 at 07:16 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.