Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5] How does the monk's Unarmed Strike function with a Kobold's natural weapons?

How does the monk's Unarmed Strike ability function, if at all, with a Kobold's three natural weapons?

I was just seeing the Kobold Ninja/Rogue thread below, and it got be thinking of an interesting build.

How exactly does this work?
    I just want someone to hold me and tell me they love me. Especially when I am sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Skami Pilno View Post
    The man who is dominated by fear of death is already dead.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: [3.5] How does the monk's Unarmed Strike function with a Kobold's natural weapons

You should either make unarmed strikes at the monk unarmed damage, or natural attacks. Some readings of the way natural attacks interact with weapon attacks lead to the interpretation that you can make unarmed strikes followed by attacks with your natural weapons.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] How does the monk's Unarmed Strike function with a Kobold's natural weapons

Unarmed Strike can be done with any part of the body. As such, a Kobold with UA Strike could take full natural attack array and UA Strike in the same turn. Better have Shadowblade and Weapon Finesse though if you want anything out of those; your Str isn't going to shine.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    You should either make unarmed strikes at the monk unarmed damage, or natural attacks. Some readings of the way natural attacks interact with weapon attacks lead to the interpretation that you can make unarmed strikes followed by attacks with your natural weapons.
    That's not an interpretation, that's how it works. Read FC2's entry on Bel. His attack block is fairly large.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

yeppers... you can make all your unarmed attacks followed by your NA's though your NA's have your full bab-5 as there attack rolls.

To me makes kobold ninja monks deadly at low levels.
    around 4-ish...

swift action to invis then flurry for 0/0 and bite for -3/-3/-3

Multiattack would make them all 0's

Still with a dex of 14

5 attacks that give SA is nice.

Once you can proc asthetic stalker it gets better
    Last edited by RagnaroksChosen; 2009-10-19 at 04:04 PM.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmmm, looked at the half dragon's natural weapon entry:

"Full AttackA half-dragon fighting without weapons uses both claws and its bite when making a full attack. If armed with a weapon, it usually uses the weapon as its primary attack and its bite as a natural secondary attack. If it has a hand free, it uses a claw as an additional natural secondary attack. "

So by raw a creature with the bite and 2x claw attack routine can indeed flurry and then perform all its natural attacks at a -5 penalty.

{Technicolor nonsense scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2009-10-19 at 08:01 PM.
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *As a DM I run sand-box games.
    Challenge me.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Otodetu View Post
    Hmmm, looked at the half dragon's natural weapon entry:

"Full AttackA half-dragon fighting without weapons uses both claws and its bite when making a full attack. If armed with a weapon, it usually uses the weapon as its primary attack and its bite as a natural secondary attack. If it has a hand free, it uses a claw as an additional natural secondary attack. "

So by raw a creature with the bite and 2x claw attack routine can indeed flurry and then perform all its natural attacks at a -5 penalty.
    That is...trippy. What did I put in my coffee? Also...google is claiming that this page is in Romanian...
    For the last time, it stands for Shadow of Darkness!

Thankin' Nevitan fer me babytar!

Kasaad Shadowweb-Chitine Paladin of Freedom (now a clickable link!).

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauve Shirt
    SoD is my favorite too.
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHunter View Post
    SoD casts Pun
    SoD's Pun crits TigerHunter for 10k.
    TigerHunter dies.

Genderbender week comin' up! SoDess by Bisected8 *applause*

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

I think it would make most sense if you combined the two things.
    currently, my DM won't allow a player to combine their punching daggers with stunning fist, but natural wapons would probably work with that too.