New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Green Star Adept

I was browsing through PrC's looking for something interesting and I come across the Green Star Adept from Com Arcane. Looks interesting to me, so I think Wiz 2-5/Green Star Adept 10/Something?

Anybody out there that has played one? Any recommendations for the build? Or do you think it's just plain dumb?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Green Star Adept

Quote Originally Posted by alexthemad View Post
    I was browsing through PrC's looking for something interesting and I come across the Green Star Adept from Com Arcane. Looks interesting to me, so I think Wiz 2-5/Green Star Adept 10/Something?

Anybody out there that has played one? Any recommendations for the build? Or do you think it's just plain dumb?
    Why would anyone become a level 10 one? You lose Con...
    I can see stopping at 5 or 4, but ten?
    Con is practically 50% of your life if a warrior and 70% is a caster.

3. - Top - End - #3

Biggest trap there is. It comes off as a Gish PrC, but loses 5 CLs, has Medium (!?) BAB, and makes you lose your entire Con score (defeating the purpose entirely).

Not of the abilities are worth losing 5 caster levels and your Con score. And every level requires some of your WBL just for you to take it.

4. - Top - End - #4

The Green Star Adept can be a powerful PrC if used properly it is very niche but has its uses. As started you should never go to level 10 the Con loss is not worth the benefit unless your con is bad already then maybe.

The big benefit is the The Improved Caster Abilty combined with the fact it does advances casting normally. So by level 20 you can get a base caster level in the 24-25 range with Green Star Adept. This is useful for spells like Wings of Flurry or any spell that does not have a capped effect based on caster level.

Now outside of that the PrC is fairly poor, and there are other better ways to get high caster levels, but the Green Star Adept is a fun flavorful class that can be used to great effect.

Rules Note: There are some who disagree that the Improved Caster Ability stacks with the normal advancement. So as always check with your DM before using.
    Last edited by obtusehobbit; 2009-10-21 at 04:49 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

AssassinGuy

Wow, I guess I missed the part about losing your Con completely.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow, I guess I missed the part about losing your Con completely.
    Comes with becoming a Construct, unfortunately. I agree with Sinfire's assessment; it's hard to think of another PrC that nerfs you more.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Comes with becoming a Construct, unfortunately. I agree with Sinfire's assessment; it's hard to think of another PrC that nerfs you more.
    Spellsword comes close. You really got to look around. Most of the 3.0 PrCs that got updated in 3.5 were pretty bad...

8. - Top - End - #8

AssassinGuy

Hmm, well...I am looking for something different but effective to play in a high level game. I had never seen the Adept before...ever. Guess now I know why.

9. - Top - End - #9

Hmm, well...I am looking for something different but effective to play in a high level game. I had never seen the Adept before...ever. Guess now I know why.
    Like what? What classes are currently being played? What have you played?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Build from an older GSA thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=64 .

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I once played a Green Star Adept in a short lived Red Hand of Doom Campaign. However, I went into the PRC from Duskblade, rather than Wizard / Fighter(or other martial class). The good thing about that is that you're less reliant on spells from the beginning, and Duskblade's full BAB helps make up for the 3/4 BAB of Green Star. As previously stated, under no circumstance should you go to 10th level as Green Star, but going until 7 - 9 could work, and give you a nice bonus to Strength, natural fortification, and some fairly hard to overcome DR.

12. - Top - End - #12

AssassinGuy

I have mostly only played wizards and psions, even a cerebromancer. I had a rogue and a cleric for a short stint. I would like to stay in the wizard type class, just with something different but effective.

Right now the party consists of a favored soul, a duskblade, a ranger, 2 warforged (1 fighter, 1 psion/fighter), a warlock, and a necromancer.

13. - Top - End - #13

I have mostly only played wizards and psions, even a cerebromancer. I had a rogue and a cleric for a short stint. I would like to stay in the wizard type class, just with something different but effective.

Right now the party consists of a favored soul, a duskblade, a ranger, 2 warforged (1 fighter, 1 psion/fighter), a warlock, and a necromancer.
    Sounds like you could do well with a Crusader or Meldshaper.

14. - Top - End - #14

AssassinGuy

Thanks! I'll sure take a look at them.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Warforged takes everything that is good about GSA, with none of the downsides, and without screwing over your casting progression.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Everyone will tell you GSA sucks, but it is a very falvorful PrC, and - assuming you're not concentrating on making a full caster - it's not as bad as everyone will have you believe.

It's not a PrC that anyone who is primarily interested in being a caster should take, but it isn't so horrible for a gish who doesn't mind limited casting...
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Dragon Disciple?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Dragon Disciple?
    Outside of the schrodinger effect, it's not thaaaat bad. At least it doesn't take away half your hp when you finish.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Outside of the schrodinger effect, it's not thaaaat bad. At least it doesn't take away half your hp when you finish.
    True, DD isn't bad for a melee type who has a dip in arcane casting. For 4 levels, at least...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

So Here's a question. Say a necropolitan (LM) decides he wants to be a greenstar adept. Does he keep the d12 HD he had as an undead or change to the class appropriate HD from each of his classes when he reaches GSA 10?

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    So Here's a question. Say a necropolitan (LM) decides he wants to be a greenstar adept. Does he keep the d12 HD he had as an undead or change to the class appropriate HD from each of his classes when he reaches GSA 10?
    Seems to me that there's little reason to want to get the features of GSA when you're already undead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    Seems to me that there's little reason to want to get the features of GSA when you're already undead.
    Maybe you no longer want to be an unholy blasphemy?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    How about avoiding LA since the necropolitan doesn't have one and gets nothing beyond undead traits. GSA offers decent DR, a natural attack in case I find myself unarmed for some reason, low-light vision, and immunity to positive energy spells. The necropolitan template adds none of these things. 20d12 +20 seems like a decent HP count for a fighter type that has that much going for him.

Edit: I forgot the change in type means he's not subject to turning anymore either.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2009-10-21 at 10:15 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Myrmex View Post
    Maybe you no longer want to be an unholy blasphemy?
    Sorry, what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

now i am feeling an urge to remix the green star adept and see if we can't make it decent...
    my own diabolical experiments (homebrew)

my deviantART

my alter ego

Campaigns
    Watchtower––Volume III (running since 2008)

Announcer— “Your cable television is experiencing difficulties. Please do not panic. Resist the temptation to read or talk to loved ones. Do not attempt sexual relations, as years of TV radiation have left your genitals withered and useless.”

Wiggum, checking— “Well I'll be damned.”

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Tis a trap. Make yourself I fine weapon from that metal you need to eat, and if construct is your goal go Renegade Mastermaker. Having played a GSA I can confirm that it sucks. Alot.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Having played a GSA I can confirm that it sucks. Alot.
    Please elaborate.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    Sounds like you could do well with a Crusader or Meldshaper.
    Sinfire, you would have said that no matter WHAT he replied!
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    How about avoiding LA since the necropolitan doesn't have one and gets nothing beyond undead traits. GSA offers decent DR, a natural attack in case I find myself unarmed for some reason, low-light vision, and immunity to positive energy spells. The necropolitan template adds none of these things. 20d12 +20 seems like a decent HP count for a fighter type that has that much going for him.

Edit: I forgot the change in type means he's not subject to turning anymore either.
    20d12+20=155 hp.
    20d10+80=194 hp.

Someone who uses the Elite Array and plays a non-con boosting race as a Fighter 20 beats you by 39 hp. Someone who might be, say, a Dragonborn Mongrelfolk Totemist could be quadrupling your HP total.
    Last edited by sofawall; 2009-10-21 at 11:22 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

I have to argue that a lvl 10 GSA doesn't really NEED con. He has the hp of a 12 con character, d8(?) health, and DR 10/adamantine. He's immune to sneak attack/critical hits and pretty much everything else.

I would gladly take all 10.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sofawall View Post
    20d12+20=155 hp.
    20d10+80=194 hp.

Someone who uses the Elite Array and plays a non-con boosting race as a Fighter 20 beats you by 39 hp. Someone who might be, say, a Dragonborn Mongrelfolk Totemist could be quadrupling your HP total.
    Lets not forget that barbarian on its own gets +80 HP for raging. Thats >1/2 your full hp as GSA.

20D12+120 assuming a base of 14 con with no items.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.