Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [3.5] Pokemon

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [3.5] Pokemon

My friends and I were thinking of starting a Pokemon themed campaign. In short, all of the PCs are Pokemon trainers, and they are going through Johto League.

Basis is that the PCs are homebrewed class called Trainer, which lets them control and use Pokemon. When they gain levels in that class they can have more pokemons at hand, specialize in certain aspect (catching pokemons, or leveling them, etc.), and in certain types (gaining bonuses in eg. Fire pokemons).
    Pokemon also gain levels, HD, saves and similar depends on subtype (they are all Magical Beasts with some subtype). With levels they gain Power progression similar to Tome of Battle classes. Example: Let's say that Pikachu gains level 3. That means that now he gains 1 Power of level 2, which he can chose from Lightning or Universal discipline. On level 4 he would gain additional Power of second level, and one Power of first level, from same disciplines.
    That is for Powers, they also have defensive abilities, which they gain in the same manner as Powers, but on even numbered levels.

That is the basis of the setting, if you want to hear more just ask, we have covered many things, which I'd like to hear your opinion on, but I don't want to scare you with a Big Wall of Text

What I'm asking is, are there any official stuff made already on this, or are they any online guides? We already have this, but it's quite not the style, also, I think we made some things better them him
    Also, do you have any experience on your own with Pokemon 3.5 games? Or any advice?
    Last edited by Sila Prirode; 2009-10-21 at 06:40 PM.
    "Don't make me go all Darth Vader on your teddy." - BBEG of the month
    ---
    Awesome avy by Serpentine <3

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Pokemon

You mention Johto, which era of play are you looking at, 251 species a la Gold, Silver and Crystal, or 493 species a la Heart Gold and Soul Silver?
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Addtionally, 'pokemon' is both singular and plural. Also, have you thought of having the players advance their pokemon like characters instead of advancing themselves? I mean, think about it- pokemon, not trainers, get stronger. Pokemon use special abilities, pokemon are the ones who compete in 1 on 1 (or 2 on 2) combat, and pokemon are where the real focus is. Why, exactly, do you need to worry about the trainers?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Actually, none and all of that :D
    For start, we will stat out base 150 Pokemons, and then the rest will come on the way. Like, if one of the PCs wants some specific Pokemon, I stat him out, and then arrange for him to catch it (I would most probably be the DM).
    Also, if I want some of the NPC "villains" to have some exotic Pokemon, I can just stat out some new ones.
    Eventually, we plan to stat all of them, so they can be used.

On the XP, actually, only Pokemon get experience for fights. Basiclly, if the Pokemon was involved in a fight, he gets XP if he wins.
    Trainer only get XP for defeating other trainers, or some other challenges (winning a tournament, etc.) It's more of a plot xp, or a quest xp.
    And it is necessary to give out, because he can control stronger Pokemon as he advances in level (level 10 ability for example would give him an option of controling legendary Pokemon). Also he would gain those specializations mentioned in the first post by leveling.
    Last edited by Sila Prirode; 2009-10-21 at 06:39 PM.
    ---

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sounds workable to me. Here are some questions / suggestions.

#1 - What Generation are you going up to? You specified "Johoto", but are you using the full 400ish Pokemon list, or stopping at Gold and Silver's 251?

#2 - Are you keeping the game's spirit of 4 Moves known?

#3 - Are you modeling attacks based solely after the game's, or are you just making generic ones?

#4 - Is "Trainer" going to be your only class? You could easily make several different Trainer Types (like in the game) that grant bonuses to the Trainer. For example, perhaps a Medic Trainer would gain a bonus to healing Pokemon, while a Battler would be able to deal slightly more damage, or a Trickster teaches skills (like dodging and overall Stats) more easily. That way, instead of everyone being "generic trainer", you still have a sense of role in the ground among trainers.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

#1 - What Generation are you going up to? You specified "Johoto", but are you using the full 400ish Pokemon list, or stopping at Gold and Silver's 251?
    Check my previous answer for that
    #2 - Are you keeping the game's spirit of 4 Moves known?
    Actually, no. It would be to limiting.
    What we have instead, is Recharging for Powers. Let's say Pikachu uses his Lightning Power. Now he rolls d4+1 one. That is the number of rounds he must wait before he can use it again. All Powers work that way, with various Recharge times.
    That even makes room for Metapower feats on Pokemon, which will increase Recharge time. Eg. Pikachu Empowers his Lightning, and then can't use it for d4+1 minutes, instead of rounds.
    #3 - Are you modeling attacks based solely after the game's, or are you just making generic ones?
    Both. We will try to have 2 or 3 options on all levels of all the Disciplines, with General Discipline having things like Tackle, or Slam.
    #4 - Is "Trainer" going to be your only class? You could easily make several different Trainer Types (like in the game) that grant bonuses to the Trainer. For example, perhaps a Medic Trainer would gain a bonus to healing Pokemon, while a Battler would be able to deal slightly more damage, or a Trickster teaches skills (like dodging and overall Stats) more easily. That way, instead of everyone being "generic trainer", you still have a sense of role in the ground among trainers.
    That is precisely the reason Trainers get XP too. On level 3 they pick their first specialization (Hunter, Breeder, Herder, Medic,etc.), on level 6 they pick their favorite subtype (Fire, Plant, Water...). They will have more of those specializations, on levels 9 and 12, but we haven't worked that out yet.
    ---

7. - Top - End - #7

I'm reading through your site now, and here's some opinions.

First, I don't like this:

A Pokémaster can have a number of Pokémon in Pokéballs equal to her Charisma Modifier be "Controlled."
    You're essentially saying you need a strong personality to control a Pokemon. I think you'd be better off if you changed it so that regardless of your trainer level, you can carry six Pokemon carried at any time (like in the game) and have Handle Pokemon be a class skill for your campaign. Yeah, I know it makes things weird if you try to translate this class to a non-Pokemon setting, but you need to make the classes work for your campaign before you worry about that :). Heck, if you switch it to a check, you could have your Trainers be required to make a check every round in order to have your Pokemon be Player-Controlled. In that regards, Badges could be Magical Items that increase your skill with Handle Pokemon, again like the games.

Going back to reading now . . .

8. - Top - End - #8

A Pokémaster can, at any time, release their Pokémon into the wild. This is a process that takes about 10 minutes during which the Pokémaster says her good-byes to the Pokémon. The Pokémon is then free to do whatever it wishes, its current intelligence, alignment, and abilities do not inherently change from this release. The Pokémon's Pokéball is broken in the process, and is no longer attuned to that Pokémon. Pokémon who were treated especially well or poorly by their Pokémaster will not forget that treatment and may, at the DM's discretion, act accordingly either immediately or at some time in the future.
    Just to nitpick, I think it's stated the first game that Pokemon are almost always Neutral from the get-go; their alignment *might* slowly change to match their trainer's if they're treated well.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Golden-Esque View Post
    I'm reading through your site now, and here's some opinions.
    Actually, that is not my site, it just tingled my inspiration to work on this

You're essentially saying you need a strong personality to control a Pokemon. I think you'd be better off if you changed it so that regardless of your trainer level, you can carry six Pokemon carried at any time (like in the game) and have Handle Pokemon be a class skill for your campaign.
    Well, what my friend thought about it, was to change that to your class level. So at first level you can only control 2 Pokemon, but that changes when you get to level 4, when you can have 4 Pokemon on you all the time. Only Herder would be able to carry 6 of them.
    Mind you, that might seem few, but this is for a party game, not "single player", you are travelling with 3-5 more Pokemon Trainers, so if all of you had 6 Pokemon that would amount to a quite lot of mess.

And on the aligment, well I always imagined Goldy to be Good-ish, so if she were used by an Evil Trainer she would shift slowly. But it's mainly fluff.
    Last edited by Sila Prirode; 2009-10-21 at 07:21 PM.
    ---

10. - Top - End - #10

A Pokémaster can, at any time, release their Pokémon into the wild. This is a process that takes about 10 minutes during which the Pokémaster says her good-byes to the Pokémon. The Pokémon is then free to do whatever it wishes, its current intelligence, alignment, and abilities do not inherently change from this release. The Pokémon's Pokéball is broken in the process, and is no longer attuned to that Pokémon. Pokémon who were treated especially well or poorly by their Pokémaster will not forget that treatment and may, at the DM's discretion, act accordingly either immediately or at some time in the future.
    Just to nitpick, I think it's stated the first game that Pokemon are almost always Neutral from the get-go; their alignment *might* slowly change to match their trainer's if they're treated well.

Sometimes, Pokémon die, this causes a great loss to the Pokémaster, both emotionally and spiritually. A Pokémaster whose controlled Pokémon dies immediately loses 200 XP times the CR of the Pokémon (zero XP for Pokémon below CR 1). A Pokémaster can make a Will save (DC 15) to halve the XP loss. XP lost in this way are recovered if the Pokémon is raised from the dead by any means (usually Raise Dead or Resurrection). The XP is recovered if the Pokémon is Reincarnated, but the new body breaks the Pokémaster to Pokémon link and the Pokémon is no longer controlled, and may no longer be a Pokémon (depending on its new type).
    For some reason, I find a Pokemone reincarnating into a humanoid rather amusing; though if you're going for straight-out Pokemon, I don't know how "magical" you're going to actually want your game to be.

I'm not sure if I understand your "Evolve Pokemon" Entry, since it takes about evolving DnD Monsters into other DnD Monsters. I am assuming it is a metaphor.

For the Inspire Pokemon; I think it would work better if you changed it to be like the Bardic Music ability, Inspire Courage. Everyone likes +1 to AC, Attack Rolls, and Damage Rolls!

Instead of Knowledge {Arcana}, I'd use either Knowledge {Nature} or Knowledge {Pokemon} to identify Pokemon.

For Pokeballs, I think your best bet is to make a Capture Pokemon Skill or something, and instead have the DC to Catch a Pokemon be equal to the Pokemon's Challenge Rating or something.

Also, for crafting Pokeballs, if you use my idead, you should have a set cost to make a Pokeball, and then just add Enhancement Bonuses to it. You could also add the cool special balls using this method (like Friend Ball or Love Ball).

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Bodez View Post
    Actually, that is not my site, it just tingled my inspiration to work on this

Well, what my friend thought about it, was to change that to your class level. So at first level you can only control 2 Pokemon, but that changes when you get to level 4, when you can have 4 Pokemon on you all the time. Only Herder would be able to carry 6 of them.

Mind you, that might seem few, but this is for a party game, not "single player", you are traveling with 3-5 more Pokemon Trainers, so if all of you had 6 Pokemon that would amount to a quite lot of mess.
    I can see the logic in this, but sadly, it's one of those things that makes Pokemon a difficult thing to play 3.5 as : /. You're going to loose a LOT of the feel of the Pokemon World if you're having multiple players fight in a single battle, I'm afraid

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Well, it won't be a single battle, it will be more like:
    While you were walking through the tall grass one of the player notices something is crawling up on his leg, he shakes it off and turns his eyes to ground. There you see 6, no, 7, no wait it's almost a dozen of Ratata trying to climb up to your backpack to get food!
    Then the encounter starts, with PCs working together with their Pokemon to fend of hungry Ratata.

Also, only thing that we are going to use from the stuff you mentioned from that site is Knowledge Pokemon (Pokedex gives out bonus on those).
    For catching them, it would work similar to Sneak Attack, meaning you get d6 per two levels (starting at first), with Pokeball bonus on top of that (and class bonuses from Hunter specialization). Better the Pokeball better the bonus. Bonus is a number of additional d6 on roll.
    For example you are a third level Trainer, Hunter specialization, with basic Pokeball. You use your Catch ability. Then you roll 2d6 (from Trainer) + d6 (from Pokeball) + d6 (from Hunter). If your roll is equal or greater to the Pokemon's current hp, you have caught him in your Pokeball.
    ---

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

I can see the logic in this, but sadly, it's one of those things that makes Pokemon a difficult thing to play 3.5 as : /. You're going to loose a LOT of the feel of the Pokemon World if you're having multiple players fight in a single battle, I'm afraid
    While this is true, it's not that hard to have the NPC trainers say "I challenge so-and-so-party-member to a duel!" Same goes for gym leaders even more so.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Lower levels arcane spells are usually a drag, but lower level psionic powers are often just higher ones waiting to be augmented.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Gym leaders are actually done in a bit of different way.
    Basically, there is monthly tournament in all of the gyms, where the winner of the tournament gets the "prize" of going against gym leader.
    So basically, PCs, and a bunch of NPCs enter the tournament, and the winner gets to go for the badge.

And for NPC trainers, well, who says they travel one by one?
    Last edited by Sila Prirode; 2009-10-21 at 07:46 PM.
    ---

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Gym leaders are actually done in a bit of different way.
    Basically, there is monthly tournament in all of the gyms, where the winner of the tournament gets the "prize" of going against gym leader.
    So basically, PCs, and a bunch of NPCs enter the tournament, and the winner gets to go for the badge.
    I like this way of doing it a lot, actually. It's much more sensible than the games' way of every random trainer can fight a gym leader whenever he wants.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Lower levels arcane spells are usually a drag, but lower level psionic powers are often just higher ones waiting to be augmented.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

It also opens up a lot of room for seriuos games. I mean, now everyone travels in actually party, you have whole guilds of Trainers you can work with. Imagine 50 or so Trainers joined together in the Hunters guild, whose job is to hunt wild Pokemon, and trade them to other Trainers. They all travel in groups.
    Also, competition, think Team Rocket from Pokemon, but not failing all the time. Along the lines of Oots and Linear Guild
    ---

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Its not official by any means, but I've been working extensively on a Pokemon d20 conversion. http://pokemondtwenty.wikidot.com/

Have a look and tell me what you think. I had some pretty similar ideas, though I've dropped most of the traditional D&D monster types and just used the Pokemon types as is (ex Squirtle is just a Water Pokemon, not a Magical Beast). This makes things easier when determining Super-Effective attacks and whatnot.

Right now I need ideas for the classes. I'm basing them loosely on the rules for d20 Modern, so each base class gets a Talent every other level. The Classes so far are Trainer, Breeder, Warrior, and Deviant (think Team Rocket/Magma, etc).

I'm still in the process of converting all of the moves into something similar to a martial maneuver/spell list.

As an example, heres Bulbasaur:

Bulbasaur (CR 1)
    TN Small Grass Pokemon
    Initiative: -1, Senses: Low-Light Vision
    ----------------------------------
    AC: 14 (-1 Dex, +5 natural armor)
    HP: 1d8 +3 (11)
    Fort +2 Ref -1 Will +3
    Ability: Overgrow
    Speed: 30 ft
    Attack Bonus: +0 melee, -1 ranged
    Techniques Known: 2, Power Points: 3
    0 - Tackle - melee attack, deal 1d6 Normal damage
    1st - Absorb - ranged touch attack, deal 1d4+1 Grass damage, recover hp equal to damage dealt
    Advancement: 5-12 (Small)
    Evolution: Ivysaur 8+
    Skills: Perception +5
    Feats: Toughness
    Str 10 (+0), Con 10 (+0), Dex 9 (-1), Int 6 (-2), Wis 13 (+1), Cha 13 (+1)
    Last edited by Real Sorceror; 2009-10-21 at 08:03 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Real Sorceror View Post
    I had some pretty similar ideas, though I've dropped most of the traditional D&D monster types and just used the Pokemon types as is (ex Squirtle is just a Water Pokemon, not a Magical Beast). This makes things easier when determining Super-Effective attacks and whatnot.
    Well this will be Poke- only setting, so type doesn't play any role, only subtype matters (which is actually the same as you did it).

I'm still in the process of converting all of the moves into something similar to a martial maneuver/spell list.
    Yes, that was our general idea too. We gave them Powers know as in martial classes (Warblade is the most likely candidate, might just need to tweak the numbers a bit).
    And they don't need the prepare them at all, just watch for Recharge time.
    Defensive abilities fall in whole other category, and they gain them on even numbered levels, and are mostly passive, while Powers are on odd numbered levels, and are mostly standard action.

We also had a nice idea for Pokemon feats, which can expand their capabilities, like Empower Power, or adding Fast Healing to Plant Pokemon via feats, etc.

I see we actually have the same concept for Pokemons, only you have Power Points. Is there an actual reason it is needed? Like for balance purposes? Because I'm rather fond of this Recharge mechanic, it doesn't cry for resting every so often, your Pokemon can keep fighting all day, as long as you allow him a few minutes of rest to regain his basic Powers, and a few hours now and then for more powerfully ones. We still have 1/day Powers, just not so much of them.
    Last edited by Sila Prirode; 2009-10-21 at 08:14 PM.
    ---

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Or might become theirs if they are treated badly and the trainer is evil, perhaps.
    Also, may I suggest that Pokemon can willingly stop their attacks from dealing any damge past 0 hp?
    Last edited by waterpenguin43; 2009-10-21 at 11:49 PM.
    Beautiful avatar by Mr_Saturn
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    ...I think that counts as your own Crowning Moment of Awesome, WP.
    Thank you's:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lovely avatar of an NPC in Camp Half-Blood of mine by Crimson Angel:
    Thanks to Green Bean for my Spheal avatar.

Also thanks to VT for awarding me with a VT monster competition award.

Four internets and a cookie!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well this will be Poke- only setting, so type doesn't play any role, only subtype matters (which is actually the same as you did it).
    Pretty much. I never liked some of the others I found that tried to combine Pokemon with existing D&D monsters. It always seemed clumsy and kinda lame.
    Yes, that was our general idea too. We gave them Powers know as in martial classes (Warblade is the most likely candidate, might just need to tweak the numbers a bit).
    And they don't need the prepare them at all, just watch for Recharge time.
    Defensive abilities fall in whole other category, and they gain them on even numbered levels, and are mostly passive, while Powers are on odd numbered levels, and are mostly standard action.
    I've always played the party spellcaster, so the Nine Swords classes never interested me too much, although from what I've seen I agree that the martial maneuvers are probably the best model for anime-style gameplay.
    So far I have the Pokemon work like spontaneous spellcasters. They'll learn a new technique every other level.
    I'll probably have official battles restricted to only using four moves, but fights with wild Pokemon and criminals will be anything-goes.
    We also had a nice idea for Pokemon feats, which can expand their capabilities, like Empower Power, or adding Fast Healing to Plant Pokemon via feats, etc.
    Same here. I haven't developed my feats very far yet. Basically I've got stuff like Maximize and Quicken Technique, as well as crafting feats for Poke Balls and other tech gear.
    I see we actually have the same concept for Pokemons, only you have Power Points. Is there an actual reason it is needed? Like for balance purposes? Because I'm rather fond of this Recharge mechanic, it doesn't cry for resting every so often, your Pokemon can keep fighting all day, as long as you allow him a few minutes of rest to regain his basic Powers, and a few hours now and then for more powerfully ones. We still have 1/day Powers, just not so much of them.
    I basically took the spell point system from Unearthed Arcana. I kinda prefer the Power Point system I have set up for a number of reasons. For one, Pokemon in the game have limited uses of their powers and need to heal or rest to regain them. Also, even with rest, a Pokemon will becomed fatigued from fighting all day without actual healing (potions, etc).
    I don't think it will actually be very different from your system. If you're in town or at a Gym, the Poke-center is just down the street, so you can go recharge anyway. Its really only going to affect parties that are out on the road and have lots of encounters in the same day.
    Remember that 'mons also have natural weapons that they should be able to use whenever, without points or number of uses. Pretty much any Pokemon should be able to Tackle or Pound or Scratch whenever, so they aren't ever really defenseless.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by waterpenguin43 View Post
    Or might become theirs if they are treated badly and the trainer is evil, perhaps.
    Also, may I suggest that Pokemon can willingly stop their attacks from dealing any damge past 0 hp?
    I just took it a step further and said all attacks in official matches are automatically non-lethal damage unless you specify otherwise.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Well in official matches it's easy, whenever one Pokemon faints game is over. Even if the overkill happens, and Pokemon is dead, he is immediately transported into his Pokeball, and then can be healed in Pokecentar, or in Gym.
    In wilderness, Pokemon tend to stop fighting when others drop unconscious, they are not violent. But there are Evil Pokemon and Trainers,who have no qualms killing (that is actually a plot hook, there is one, or a group of evil trainers, going around killing or capturing specific Pokemon, and they need to be stopped).
    ---

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well in official matches it's easy, whenever one Pokemon faints game is over. Even if the overkill happens, and Pokemon is dead, he is immediately transported into his Pokeball, and then can be healed in Pokecentar, or in Gym.
    I don't know that I'd allow free ressurection like that. I'd either say that there is no overkill in an official match, or give Pokemon a bigger negative hit point buffer. Instead of just -10, maybe -10 or thier Con score, whichever is better. Or even 10+Con score. A "fainted" Pokemon would just be unconscious until they reach positive 1 hp.
    In wilderness, Pokemon tend to stop fighting when others drop unconscious, they are not violent. But there are Evil Pokemon and Trainers,who have no qualms killing (that is actually a plot hook, there is one, or a group of evil trainers, going around killing or capturing specific Pokemon, and they need to be stopped).
    Remember that predatory Pokemon (and humans, too) eat other Pokemon, so they don't necasarily need to be evil to kill your 'mons.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I'm really interested in this. I made a game that involved the players as pokemon in a trainer-less world, with player's buidling their own pokemon from scratch. The creation process was finished and the fighting tested. But I didn't make a direct conversion to d20 or anything, I built the sytem for it from the ground up.

This looks pretty cool and I'd love to give it a try whenever it becomes playable.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

The "Bride of the Portable Hole" (An updated version of "Portable Hole Full of Beer") gag supplement has a Pokemon trainer prestige class called "Ball Master". Its probably not be exactly what you're looking for, but it might give you some ideas. It's available for free here: http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=148 Even if the "Ball Master" class doesn't help you, its a hilarious supplement that's sure to give you some good laughs.

You could also try creating a 20-level progression of the "Beast Heart Adept" prestige class. You can download it from Wizards here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...070209a&page=4 You could make some Pokemon-flavored magical beasts to go with it.
    Keep 3.5 alive!
    Creepy psychics, shark dogs, and whatever else I feel like drawing.
    Sci-Fi/Fantasy Homebrew Setting: Breakdown

I am willing and able to critique 3.5 homebrews. I'm still learning though, and I may not be able to help with unfamiliar material. PM me if you are having trouble getting your work reviewed.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TabletopNuke View Post
    The "Bride of the Portable Hole" (An updated version of "Portable Hole Full of Beer") gag supplement has a Pokemon trainer prestige class called "Ball Master". Its probably not be exactly what you're looking for, but it might give you some ideas. It's available for free here: http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=148 Even if the "Ball Master" class doesn't help you, its a hilarious supplement that's sure to give you some good laughs.

You could also try creating a 20-level progression of the "Beast Heart Adept" prestige class. You can download it from Wizards here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...070209a&page=4 You could make some Pokemon-flavored magical beasts to go with it.
    While lolworthy, the Ball Master is centered entirely around the Summon Monster spell, and since we're going for a faithful port of the Pokemon game/anime, there isn't any spellcasting (though there is obviously magic).
    I'm not too keen on using an Animal Companion type progression for Pokemon. IMO, the Pokemon should level up and gain powers separately from the trainer. Just as in the show and game, you can have a Pokemon that is too high-level for you to reliably control.
    Also, since its pretty easy to convert the 'mons into a d20 system, theres not a whole lot of need to create new magical beasts.

Heres the Ivysaur that goes with the Bulba posted above. Basically they advance like a Sorcerer or a Warblade, gaining a new power known ever other level and gaining power points as per the Spellpoint variant in Unearthed Arcana. I haven't decided whether their "casting" stat should be Wisdom or Charisma. I'm thinking they'll just use whichever is higher.

Ivysaur (CR 8)
    TN Medium Grass Pokemon
    Initiative: +1, Senses: Low-Light Vision
    AC: 17 (+1 Dex, +6 natural armor), Dodge
    HP: 8d8 + 16 (55)
    Fort +9 Ref +5 Will +9
    Ability: Overgrow - Grass-type attacks are auto-Empowered when Ivysaur reaches 1/4 hp or lower.
    Speed: 30 ft
    Attack Bonus: +7 melee, +7 ranged
    Techniques Known: 4, Power Points: 48
    0 - Tackle
    1st - Absorb, Constrict
    2nd - Vine Whip - melee attack, 5ft reach. Deal 4d6+3 Grass damage, +1 vine/four levels (max 3).
    Advancement: 5-16 (Medium)
    Evolution: Venusaur 16+
    Skills: Acrobatics +5, Intimidate +7, Perception +14,
    Feats: Toughness, Great Fortitude, Dodge, Lightning Reflexes
    Str 12 (+1), Con 12 (+1), Dex 12 (+1), Int 8 (-1), Wis 16 (+3), Cha 16 (+3)
    Last edited by Real Sorceror; 2009-10-24 at 02:10 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

I don't know that I'd allow free resurrection like that.
    Well it isn't really free resurrection. It depends on the Pokecenter and Gyms. Basically, Gyms will only offer ress and healing for Pokemon that died in Gym Tournaments, while Pokecenters will charge some amount, and also be very rare. Around 4-5 Pokecenter in the whole world, only in the biggest cities/capitals.
    So it's not actually free.
    Remember that predatory Pokemon (and humans, too) eat other Pokemon, so they don't necessarily need to be evil to kill your 'mons.
    Well they will be other animals. Not every bird will be Pidgey. Think about common rats, bunny, vermin, birds, and similar stuff. They are regular animals, there is not really need for Pokemon killing and eating exclusively other Pokemon.
    Also, why do you think there can be a shortage of Pokemon? I mean, after all, the DM is one telling the story, if he says there are Pokemon, then they are.
    But if you want to quantify it, think about real life, and some species, yes, humans made extinct many of them, but some are still alive, just rare, and in danger. But they are still there.
    ---

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

I haven't decided whether their "casting" stat should be Wisdom or Charisma. I'm thinking they'll just use whichever is higher.
    Pokemon attacks are divided into regular and special attacks, depending on the attack element. Regular attacks include elements such as fighting, earth, and the like. While special attacks include elements such as fire and psychic. Perhaps regular elements would be Constitution based, like D&D abilities based on physical capability. Special abilities could be Charisma-based, like innate spell-like abilities.
    Keep 3.5 alive!
    Creepy psychics, shark dogs, and whatever else I feel like drawing.
    Sci-Fi/Fantasy Homebrew Setting: Breakdown

I am willing and able to critique 3.5 homebrews. I'm still learning though, and I may not be able to help with unfamiliar material. PM me if you are having trouble getting your work reviewed.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well it isn't really free resurrection. It depends on the Pokecenter and Gyms. Basically, Gyms will only offer ress and healing for Pokemon that died in Gym Tournaments, while Pokecenters will charge some amount, and also be very rare. Around 4-5 Pokecenter in the whole world, only in the biggest cities/capitals. So it's not actually free.
    I can see where you might want to limit the number of Pokecenters, and I imagine they would charge a fee similar to real world vets and hospitals. Personally I’ll be using the cities and routes from the game with the same number of Pokecenters. In practice, most routes will be several days long, so I don’t think players will really be able to abuse the Pokecenters for heals.

Well they will be other animals. Not every bird will be Pidgey. Think about common rats, bunny, vermin, birds, and similar stuff. They are regular animals, there is not really need for Pokemon killing and eating exclusively other Pokemon.
    Off the top of my head, the only mundane animals I’ve ever seen where grilled fish, and that was only in the early episodes of the anime. To my knowledge, animals never make an appearance in the games or the manga. In fact, I think the only reason they sometimes appear in the anime is either a slip-up or so little kids won’t see people eating Magikarps and Miltanks.

And aside from Pidgey, you also have Starly, Swellow, Spearow, Wingull, Chatot, etc, so theres not really a lack of variety in species. There are dozens of worm and beetle type Pokemon. Theres pretty much a Pokemon counterpart to just about every animal.
    Also, why do you think there can be a shortage of Pokemon? I mean, after all, the DM is one telling the story, if he says there are Pokemon, then they are.
    But if you want to quantify it, think about real life, and some species, yes, humans made extinct many of them, but some are still alive, just rare, and in danger. But they are still there.
    Huh? Oh no, I don’t think theres a shortage at all. In fact, since people in the Pokemon universe seem to be so eco-friendly, Pokemon are probably more common than animals on Earth. The only Pokemon that really seem rare are some of the evolved Pokemon (for obvious reasons) and the Dragon Pokemon (since they tend to live way out of the way).

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TabletopNuke View Post
    Pokemon attacks are divided into regular and special attacks, depending on the attack element. Regular attacks include elements such as fighting, earth, and the like. While special attacks include elements such as fire and psychic. Perhaps regular elements would be Constitution based, like D&D abilities based on physical capability. Special abilities could be Charisma-based, like innate spell-like abilities.
    I've already divided up all attacks based on whether they are listed as Physical or Special. Physicals will probably use Strength and/or Con and Special Attacks will probably use Charisma. Pokemon will also add their Charisma mod to damage when using a move of their same type (ex A Water Pokemon's Bubble deals more damage than a Normal Pokemon's). I'm thinking I'm going to probably base their power points off their Wisdom, but this might give Pokemon a bad case of MAD, similar to the D&D Monk.